Aug. 31 - Sept. 5 Dining Plan Review

tinkerbellang

Mouseketeer
First things first - the dining plan is definitely the way to go for us. I figured without snacks we saved over $200 for 2 of us. Me - 41, DH - 39

August 31 - arrived at AKL about 10:30 - after checking in went to Mara to use counter service -

I had the African House Salad and DH had the Maruben Sandwich - both were delicious. The African House Salad had a spicy dressing which was really good and it hit the spot. Then I had cheesecake and DH had pecan pie and for counter service both were good. At that time of night we were really just glad to have something to eat! Price without DP $25.
Overall - B+

September 1 -

Tusker House - Animal Kingdom

I will have to say this was one of my favorite counter services. I had the Turkey Wrap with corn chowder and tomato salad. The turkey wrap had a different flavor but was good, the corn chowder and tomato salad were excellent. DH had the rotissiere chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans - he raved over this chicken. It was so moist and flavorful, mashed potatoes were great and the green beans were seasoned nicely. The chocolate cake was SUPER - sooo moist and delicious. Of all the chocolate cake I had - and with Disney Dining there is a lot of chocolate cake - this was one of the best for even table service. Cost without DP - $30
Overall - A

Boma - Animal Kingdom Lodge

I had heard all kinds of great reviews on Boma. To me, it was ok, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I tried pretty well everything on the buffet, I liked the potatoes, I tried a couple of different salads which I also liked. The prime rib was ok, but not as flavorful as I expected. Service was good for a 5:40 ADR. Zebra domes were good, but I really liked the pineapple upside down cake. Cost without DP - $65.
Overall - B-

September 2

Columbia Harbour House - Magic Kingdom

I got the 1/2 sandwich Anchors Aweigh and Soup Clam Chowder - which were both excellent. I was really glad that I got what I got. DH went what he thought was the safe way and got fish and chicken with fries - he wished he had got the tuna and chowder. Both are extremely flavorful. The dessert here was limited and we both got the pre-packaged chocolate cake which was dry. Cost without DP $25.
Overall - B

Tony's Town Square - Magic Kingdom

After reading on here about Tony's I was a little apprehensive with this ADR. We were going to be celebrating my DH's birthday (was the week before) and I really wanted it to be great. I did email and ordered the tuxedo strawberries for his dessert. For appetizers - I had the spinach/artichoke dip with french bread - and it was really good. DH ordered the house salad and it was also very good - I loved the house dressing which was a vinegarette. We shared the appetizers. For entree we both had the New York Strip - both were cooked medium to perfection. The steaks were so juicy and awesomely seasoned. We ended up with the chocolate mouse birthday cake (DH's choice) and the strawberries. They did put the strawberries on the dining plan too. Tony's to me was great - service was excellent - and I tipped Claude over the DP because of the excellent service. Cost without DP $101.24.
Overall - A

I'll add the rest a little later.

I did email and ordered the tuxedo strawberries for his dessert.

What are these and who did you email? As you can see we are there for DH's 40th - sounds fab whatever they are (doesn't it all though) :teeth:

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

There's a thread for birthdays ideas/cakes, etc. I emailed an email listed in that thread - I'll have to add it later as it is at work. Disney Dining called me the next day to say that Tony's could do the strawberries and added that to my ressie.

The strawberries were covered in chocolate with white chocolate decorating them, mine didn't quite look like tuxedo's like I saw pictures in the link, but they were still good.

Email address is: wdw.magic.kingdom.cake.orders@disney.com

Thanks for the reviews. Tonys seems to be a love/hate kind of place;) We are going to be trying it for the first time this up~coming trip! You never know until you try;)

Columbia Harbour House was good for counter service, but it still has a lot of fried chicken, fish. If that's what you want its great. I loved the tuna sandwich and the clam chowder were excellent. I was trying to stay away from the same old fried foods - chicken strips, fish, fries, hamburgers - and try different things. I think with the dining plan they are all just having problems coming up with desserts!! LOL

September 3

Starring Rolls Cafe - Studios

I think this is one of the best spots for counter service. I had the turkey foccacia the sandwich slices are large, I had chips and for dessert I had the praline cheesecake - which was wonderful!! DH had the ham foccacia and he loved it. The different sauces I think are what make these sandwiches. He had a strawberry parfait cup that he also loved - mainly because he was tired of chocolate!! LOL You could have your choice on desserts from the desserts, or any of the pastries. They have bottled drinks and there were some that you could not use on the dining plan, but I'm sorry I don't remember which ones they were. DH had a water and I had a raspberry lemonade - which I had never tried and thought was really good. Cost without DP $25

Overall - A

Hollywood & Vine - Studios

I've heard lots of complaints on this one and I'll agree with this one. The food was OK, our service was not great - I would say horrible, but it wasn't quite horrible, but close. I had the pot roast which was good, a couple of different salads, green beans, and I don't remember the rest. DH tried the flank steak, he also had meatballs from the kids buffet. Were not really impressed with this restaurant. Somehow our waitress demagnetized both my key to the world and my DH's - since we had just used mine in a shop and DH's hadn't been used at all. So, they ended up having to call AKL to get it added manually. She really wanted me to pay for it with a credit card and get credit at the hotel, but I let her take care of it there. Cost without DP $55
Overall - C-

September 4

Mara - AKL
We knew we were having a late dinner (ADR 8:40) so we decided to have a good breakfast today. We didn't use the dining plan, but we both had the breakfast platter. This included scrambled eggs, we both chose bacon, breakfast potatoes and a biscuit. Mara does not scrimp on giving you ample portions of food on the breakfast platter. I could not finish my plate. Everything was fresh and it tasted wonderful. We're used to having bacon or egg for breakfast, so eating carbs for breakfast wasn't helping us out any. This really gave us a good boost for the morning. Cost without DP - $12 (refillable mugs for drinks)
Overall - A

Lotus Blossom Cafe - Epcot
We were going for trying places we hadn't been to before. We actually were going to go around to Morocco, but we were about ready to go back to the hotel for a rest so we just went to China. I had the spicy beef bowl and DH had the grilled chicken bowl. Both were good and were plenty of food. For dessert we both chose the ginger-carmel ice cream. I will have to say we were a bit apprehensive about the ginger, but the ice cream was very good. Different without being TOO different. Cost without DP - $22
Overall - B

Le Cellier - Epcot
We had tried to get in to Le Cellier a couple of times in the last two years and couldn't get it to work for us and, of course, never could get a walk up. So I was very happy even with the late 8:40 ADR. It had started raining about 8:00 - so we went through O'Canada and then waited at the end of O'Canada until 8:15. After checking in it was about 15 minutes till we were seated, earlier than our ADR. We had a good waitress, I wouldn't say excellent, but she was good. She didn't explain about the different breads, but they were all good. DH got the pretzel bread, so I didn't even get to try it, he really liked it. I really liked the multigrain. Fro appetizer I had the famous cheese soup - and I will have to say it was great! DH chose to try the Mussels, which he said were pretty good. For entree I had the Herb Crusted Prime Rib and I will have to say that was the best prime rib I think I had ever had. It was a huge portion - DH ate about half of it - and I also chose a side of asparagus - which was good, but it was a little big for me and not very tender. DH chose the Mushroom Filet which he said was good, but not near as good as my prime rib :goodvibes. For dessert we both chose the Whiskey Chocolate Cake - and it was also very good. Our food was there quickly, even though they were packed. Our waitress was a little slow in refilling drink glasses though. Cost without DP - $115
Overall - A-

September 5

Coral Reef - Epcot

This was our last meal at Disney, and with an early ADR of 11:40 we just had fruit for breakfast with a snack credit. I will have to say the atmosphere at Coral Reef is wonderful. It was quiet, dark and I loved watching the fish swim by. We were not right by the aquarium, but up on the first level. For appetizer I ordered the shrimp cocktail and DH ordered the crab claws. Both were very good - although I would prefer my shrimp cocktail with regular cocktail sauce. The shrimp cocktain camp with an asian dressing and noodles - it was still good. DH's crab claws came with a slaw. We both ordered the prime rib - I was waffeling and I really wish I had ordered the blackened catfish to try. The prime rib was ok, but nothing like Le Cellier's so I was a little disappointed. There was really no seasoning to it. It came with a baked potato also. For dessert we both ordered the Chocolate Wave - Now that is some dessert!!! That was the best thing I think I have ever tasted. The chocolate mouse in the center was wonderful, and the warmth with the cold ice cream was perfect. Although I was stuffed, I think I could have eated another one!! popcorn:: I really think that most of the restaurants are now using the same menu for both dinner and lunch. Cost without DP - $95
Overall - B

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for your reviews...Tusker House is also my fave CS so far.
Also I am glad to hear great things about Tony's...that is my ADR for my birthday the end of this month so I needed to hear that :0)

Thanks for sharing your reviews - I enjoyed reading them. They are making me even more eager for my trip next month. :)

Great reviews! We also loved Tony's and Le Cellier was our favorite!

Great reviews :thumbsup2 We are eating at a lot of the same places, so this was really helpful :banana:

tinkerbellang said:
Somehow our waitress demagnetized both my key to the world and my DH's - since we had just used mine in a shop and DH's hadn't been used at all. So, they ended up having to call AKL to get it added manually. She really wanted me to pay for it with a credit card and get credit at the hotel, but I let her take care of it there.

:lmao: We had the same problem at H&V with a demagentized card. I can't beleive they would ask you to put in on your credit card though. :rolleyes: Some guest service! I will not be going back to H&V anytime soon either, the food was pretty terrible.

Loved your reviews!

Great reviews, thanks for sharing. We're going to some of the same restaurants in January. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter