August 2016 Car Rental Rate watch

When would that even come up? I.e., the $50 code not being honored "at time of rental." I mean, I print out the online check in before I leave home, include my credit card info, and go right to a car. I've already paid - the person who checks me out of the garage could care less what my rate is.

(I'm not disputing that it could come up - just curious so I'm prepared!)

Maybe I'm missing something or have been lucky? Maybe that person at the garage gate who checks everything asks for Costco card/AAA/whatever sometimes? (I've never once been asked to confirm anything, and have used Costco, AAA, and Disney AP rates - I was a member of each at the time though.)

I'm an April/May renter. I took the $50 coupon off my reservation because of the hassle. Briefly, folks (and there are several now just returning and posting) are renting weekly, doing online checkin, going to their cars and when given a receipt/confirmation from the agent at the kiosk checkout, the coupon is not on that confirmation. At that point you either deal with that person then while sitting in your car, or go to the counter agent when you return or call. All three have occurred. Most are getting it honored after showing the agent their confirmation, and one person was denied. One person this week was told the coupon is expired (which it is) and no word on whether she got it or not. I switched the $50 coupon with a $25 coupon, because I just don't want to deal with it. Since the coupon did expire in 2011, I figured eventually Alamo would just stop honoring it. Folks should do what they are comfortable with, but go in knowing it probably will not show up on your confirmation upon departing the garage. This is also true for the $35 coupon that was floating around prior to the $50 one.

I'm an April/May renter. I took the $50 coupon off my reservation because of the hassle. Briefly, folks (and there are several now just returning and posting) are renting weekly, doing online checkin, going to their cars and when given a receipt/confirmation from the agent at the kiosk checkout, the coupon is not on that confirmation. At that point you either deal with that person then while sitting in your car, or go to the counter agent when you return or call. All three have occurred. Most are getting it honored after showing the agent their confirmation, and one person was denied. One person this week was told the coupon is expired (which it is) and no word on whether she got it or not. I switched the $50 coupon with a $25 coupon, because I just don't want to deal with it. Since the coupon did expire in 2011, I figured eventually Alamo would just stop honoring it. Folks should do what they are comfortable with, but go in knowing it probably will not show up on your confirmation upon departing the garage. This is also true for the $35 coupon that was floating around prior to the $50 one.

Thanks for the info. :) Do you have the code for the $25 coupon?

I found two $25 coupon codes but they expire the end of June, and this being an August thread... I agree though, if there is a code for $25 that would work for August and beyond rentals, I'd be interested in knowing it as well as I may just switch to it now.

I wanted to add I've been using MCO Alamo for many many years now, twice and sometimes three times each year, and always do the "go to your car, get in and just drive off" option. There have been a few times where the booth agent would say to me "please give me a few minutes to fix your total, because it is coming out to more than on the print out you gave me", and although I sat there for a few minutes (one time it was a good five-7 minutes), they always fixed it for me without me even having to ask. I completely understand these experiences can vary based upon who one gets at the booth but Alamo at MCO itself has always been great for me. All that said, I think if I can go with peace of mind knowing a $25 code is completely valid, I may just go that route and rebook giving up the $50 one.

Last edited:
How do you confirm if CDW is included in your reservation? I didn't notice anything when I reserved and am not sure where to look when checking my reservation online.

The $25 coupon I used (to replace the questionable $50 one now) is AD3868JST (I don't know it's history). There are more reports coming into the April rental car thread. One person noticed no $50 discount and was told to go to the counter. Another one had to argue with the agent, and then a manager. They got it approved, but you have to decide if that's how you want to start your trip.

Thanks for the code for $25. I just tried it and it works, showing it as "$25 off specialty". Using that coupon my reservation for the same vehicle went up by $30. I may just leave things the way they are and worst comes worst, the booth agent can't easily allow for the $50 code and all I'd be out compared to rebooking everything now with the $25 one is $20 bucks.

And who knows, we still have plenty more time, maybe we'll get even better codes as we wait for August to roll around :)

There are 4 promotions that can accumulate up to 3. The best option I found is entering where it says "saves up to 15%." There you load the Contract ID "LACMs PROMOTIONAL DEAL". You have to manually add the coupon code "AD3868JST" (this creates a discount of USD 25) and wherein said product code put "MF1" (all without quotes, of course). This product code is to include all insurance and additional driver.

With this pack promotions significant savings is achieved. It costs the same as with Brits but it's good to have him backup in case there are problems.

This was google translate of that quote.

Hi
I've wrote that post in viajeromagico (an Argentine forum). The translation of happy mom is ok.
Wow - so within 6 hours of my googling the code number, and copy/pasting your comment here (FYI Your post was the sole hit that described that code!), you the author read it?! What are the odds? (And, what a different world we live in these days from a few decades ago!)

Santiago Mol: if I copied/pasted anything you'd prefer not to be here, tell me and I will delete.

I actually decided to ditch the rental car, although it was very affordable!

Decided to let Disney do the driving, and if we want to run out to the store, use Uber.

I was going to make an adult beverage run on the way from the airport, but bought wine diapers instead to put some in my luggage.

I did use the $50 coupon on a one day rental from MCO dropping off next day at the Dolphin, and it took my $36 rental down to less than $6. Tempting. And it allowed me to skip the line. Still, I don't feel like driving!

Wow - so within 6 hours of my googling the code number, and copy/pasting your comment here (FYI Your post was the sole hit that described that code!), you the author read it?! What are the odds? (And, what a different world we live in these days from a few decades ago!)

Santiago Mol: if I copied/pasted anything you'd prefer not to be here, tell me and I will delete.
If I were you, I would be deleting it. You don't want to be sued for use my words without my express authorization.

Thanks for the code for $25. I just tried it and it works, showing it as "$25 off specialty". Using that coupon my reservation for the same vehicle went up by $30. I may just leave things the way they are and worst comes worst, the booth agent can't easily allow for the $50 code and all I'd be out compared to rebooking everything now with the $25 one is $20 bucks.

And who knows, we still have plenty more time, maybe we'll get even better codes as we wait for August to roll around :)

I just used the product code with the $50 coupon to get a great all-in price, < $100, for my one week late August rental at MCO. There does appear to be some risk, but am I right in my impression that the worst outcome is pullback of the $50? I have not seen any references so far to renters who have had their entire discount invalidated, such that their $120 rental went up to $350 or something like that. If we start hearing accounts of that situation, I'll probably dump this booking and try again later. It just seems odd that if a particular coupon has expired, that the Alamo system doesn't simply tell you that during the booking process rather than pretend to confirm you just to have the airport exit person say, "Sorry, coupon's no good."

I just used the product code with the $50 coupon to get a great all-in price, < $100, for my one week late August rental at MCO. There does appear to be some risk, but am I right in my impression that the worst outcome is pullback of the $50? I have not seen any references so far to renters who have had their entire discount invalidated, such that their $120 rental went up to $350 or something like that. If we start hearing accounts of that situation, I'll probably dump this booking and try again later. It just seems odd that if a particular coupon has expired, that the Alamo system doesn't simply tell you that during the booking process rather than pretend to confirm you just to have the airport exit person say, "Sorry, coupon's no good."

I haven't tried this week but last week when I tried to do a new reservation with the $50 coupon it told me the coupon wasn't valid and wouldn't let me create a reservation using it. Maybe Alamo's system has finally caught up?

I haven't tried this week but last week when I tried to do a new reservation with the $50 coupon it told me the coupon wasn't valid and wouldn't let me create a reservation using it. Maybe Alamo's system has finally caught up?

I understand that renters unsure about the validity of the $50 coupon have modified it in favor of a lesser coupon ($25, say) that has a better chance of going through. My main concern now is being unable to check in with Alamo online. There are various reports here about certain coupons preventing online check in, I guess because Alamo's system finally "wakes up" at that point and flags the coupon as invalid. I generally wait to do online check in until a couple of days before departure, so I won't know anything is wrong until the last minute.

My hope is that the AS1 discount, which is the big enchilada, will go through without any problems. If they want to pull back the $50, I'll probably just figure eh, the rate is still pretty darn good.

I understand that renters unsure about the validity of the $50 coupon have modified it in favor of a lesser coupon ($25, say) that has a better chance of going through. My main concern now is being unable to check in with Alamo online. There are various reports here about certain coupons preventing online check in, I guess because Alamo's system finally "wakes up" at that point and flags the coupon as invalid. I generally wait to do online check in until a couple of days before departure, so I won't know anything is wrong until the last minute.

My hope is that the AS1 discount, which is the big enchilada, will go through without any problems. If they want to pull back the $50, I'll probably just figure eh, the rate is still pretty darn good.

Does anyone know exactly what the as1 code is linked to? I've heard two stories. One that it is for Alamo insiders, which makes me feel completely safe using it since I am an insider. The other, that makes me worry about it, is that is is linked to some South American 'thing'. Anyone know for sure which it is? I agree with you, if I can keep this rate but still loose the $50, I'd be fine with that as the rate even $50 higher is right on par with ALL my previous trips prices.

Does anyone know exactly what the as1 code is linked to? I've heard two stories. One that it is for Alamo insiders, which makes me feel completely safe using it since I am an insider. The other, that makes me worry about it, is that is is linked to some South American 'thing'. Anyone know for sure which it is? I agree with you, if I can keep this rate but still loose the $50, I'd be fine with that as the rate even $50 higher is right on par with ALL my previous trips prices.

From what comes up when you Google AS1 it is for a Brazilian travel agency. It first made an appearance at least in 2008.

I am cautiously optimistic about the acceptance of the AS1 code. People have been saying that supplemental coupon codes like the $50-off sometimes get rejected, but AS1 seems to have a better track record. In any case, deals often get significantly better as trip dates approach so maybe the whole thing won't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter