• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2021: Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before

We leave on Saturday. I am traveling with my 21 year old son and we are both fully vaccinated. We will mask indoors and in any crowds. If the parks start feeling too much we will head back to the resort. Mostly looking at outdoor dining and/or to go meals. So definitely bring cautious. Like everyone else, my biggest worry is not being able to fly home due to a positive breakthrough case.

I applaud your responsible decision CUPCAKES.I can't picture anyone with children under 12 that are not vaccinated going there,especially when ,on the news,florida is worse than ever with "over 10,000 in hospital".If there wasn't a vaccination for adults,the parks would still be closed,so why is it okay to gamble with your UNDER THE AGE OF 12 YEARS OLD kids?

Our trip is December (4th - 9th) and we are keeping a close watch and already having "the talk" about needing to cancel/postpone. We had COVID in January and are both fully vaccinated now, so I do believe that we will be ok. However, I work with the frail elderly and I'm not so sure that THEY will be ok if I bring something home with me.

I just cancelled our October trip yesterday. ☹Our under 12 kids aren’t vaccinated and the idea of leaving a province with about 250 cases (and a city with about 5-8 per day) to a state with 20,000+ cases just seemed unfathomable to me. We were in Florida when the borders were closing in March and the plane ride home was so uncomfortable with every cough and sniffle you heard I wouldn’t want to repeat it in the current environment. I’m so annoyed they don’t have their act together and vaccinations rates are still an issue but what can you do:confused3. Wishing everyone who is still going on their trips a healthy, safe and fun time!

I know what you mean. We had to cut our trip short by 4 days in March 2020. As soon as Disney announced the closure we changed our flight. It was stressful. We were at the parks the last day of WDW and it was very ominous...it was very busy, but clearly somewhat somber as we left the gates. We left the next day and while waiting for our car service, a few CMs walked by and seemed quite distracted with apprehensive smiles and waves. It felt surreal.

Of course, at the time, we didn't think it would be this long.

Our whole family is vaccinated, but if I had children who aren't eligible, I would absolutely do the same as you. Hope we can get out of this soon and you're able to enjoy a trip in Florida again.

We’re very likely canceling our November trip. We planned to go for 10 nights in early November. My wife and I are fully vaccinated, our two year old son is not (obviously). The cases are insane down there, and the vaccine rates in the US are embarrassing. 21,000 new cases Saturday. Not worth it for us, especially with a two year old. The masks on planes, in airports and indoors at the parks is also not going to happen for us. I wear my mask everywhere and will continue to do so, but keeping a mask on a 2 year old? HA!

Luckily, our flights are Delta points, so I can cancel that. We had 7 nights at the new Swan Reserve on Marriott points, also able to cancel. We were lucky, because I had 3 nights none refundable nights from Hotwire at Coronado Springs, but they agreed to fully refund me for that. Our tickets we’ll just carry the “credit” over to our next trip. It sucks, but it’s just not worth the risk, headache and what would surely be, a less than ideal trip.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-has-more-new-covid-cases-ever-n1275614

We are in August 2021, about half a year after the availability of vaccine. This is unbelievable.... even with the knowledge and vaccination, Florida is doing worse than March or December of last year?

I would like to return to WDW soon, but this news makes me feel uncomfortable dealing with the cast members that live in Florida. Does this also mean their local hospitals are full at capacity so if a visitor gets sick there, then likely there is no hospital to get treated?
I know what you mean. Just rented a DVC for March that I can no longer cancel. Now I regret it seeing the rise in cases. We are all double vaccinated except for my 11 y.o. and I am worried for his safety. Nothing I can do now but wait to see if the cases will go back down by then.

I’m so torn on the whole thing. My moral code is having a really hard time setting foot in a state where the powers that be care more about votes than they do about the lives of their population. Disney appears to be doing what they can even if it means alienating some. But Florida itself is making it harder .. harder to get this pandemic under control , harder on their health care workers , harder on their citizens. And that I can’t abide by . If we go it would be early 2022 so I have time to wait and see but the whole thing is just so gross and disappointing I don’t know that I want to be there at all .

I’m so torn on the whole thing. My moral code is having a really hard time setting foot in a state where the powers that be care more about votes than they do about the lives of their population. Disney appears to be doing what they can even if it means alienating some. But Florida itself is making it harder .. harder to get this pandemic under control , harder on their health care workers , harder on their citizens. And that I can’t abide by . If we go it would be early 2022 so I have time to wait and see but the whole thing is just so gross and disappointing I don’t know that I want to be there at all .

I totally agree. Ive decided to cancel our August trip. We are all fully vaccinated adults, and we had a buffer after trip for my girls returning to university …. But Florida is just raising my anxiety too much. 😞

For those vaccinated & still planning to go, this below (link to today’s article) is encouraging. Also, the vaccination rates have doubled and tripled in the US in the last couple of weeks.
We still plan on going unless... things get worse still to the point more rules etc change. We are only going with Ds12 who is fully vaccinated now.
We have covid insurance with our flights, should we test positive.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/heal...br9orCjezDLZwBK8zmMI02Odakzheb61GvZA2-p8RS9qYedited to take out we would be flown home if we test positive. Our coverage says it includes emergency flight home, I assume that’s for something serious .

Last edited:
We rented DVC points for a trip this December, and we need to decide next by early next week if we are going to cancel (and still get 100% credit for a future trip, thank goodness!). We are a family of four, and three of us are vaccinated, but the youngest is still ineligible. We are so bummed out, as we normally only get to visit once every other year, and our last trip was in 2018.

For those vaccinated & still planning to go, this is encouraging. Also, the vaccination rates have doubled and tripled in the US in the last couple of weeks.
We still plan on going unless... things get worse still to the point more rules etc change. We are only going with Ds12 who is fully vaccinated now.
We have covid insurance with our flights, should we test positive we are flown home.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/heal...br9orCjezDLZwBK8zmMI02Odakzheb61GvZA2-p8RS9qY

? Could you clarify this please.
"We have covid insurance with our flights, should we test positive we are flown home."
Just checking what this means?

So if you test positive you still have to stay in Florida and quarantine till you get an all clear test right?
Do you mean your flight is rescheduled and the cost is covered?
Thanks
Mel

? Could you clarify this please.
"We have covid insurance with our flights, should we test positive we are flown home."
Just checking what this means?

So if you test positive you still have to stay in Florida and quarantine till you get an all clear test right?
Do you mean your flight is rescheduled and the cost is covered?
Thanks
Mel
There is medical coverage should we test positive for covid and the airline says they will fly us home if we have to return due to a positive covid test. We have covid insurance for our trip, it’s covid specific. I’d have to read what’s covered again, but when we did (at time of booking) we were happy to have to extra peace of mind.

There is medical coverage should we test positive for covid and the airline says they will fly us home if we have to return due to a positive covid test. We have covid insurance for our trip, it’s covid specific. I’d have to read what’s covered again, but when we did (at time of booking) we were happy to have to extra peace of mind.

I would definitely be rechecking my coverage. Since you have to be covid free in order to fly, my understanding is that your flight home would have to be postponed until you quarantine and can provide a negative test to board in Florida. Is your coverage for accommodations in Florida until you are clear to board? Is there actual medical coverage should anyone need to be hospitalized and how much coverage would be enough.
Sorry for the questions, interested as we have trips planned (October which will probably get pushed back and February which we are more hopeful that will be a go)

I would definitely be rechecking my coverage. Since you have to be covid free in order to fly, my understanding is that your flight home would have to be postponed until you quarantine and can provide a negative test to board in Florida. Is your coverage for accommodations in Florida until you are clear to board? Is there actual medical coverage should anyone need to be hospitalized and how much coverage would be enough.
Sorry for the questions, interested as we have trips planned (October which will probably get pushed back and February which we are more hopeful that will be a go)
Yes there is medical coverage for each of us.
It includes emergency flight home too. We already checked the coverage when we booked.
We are fully vaccinated, and while I know it’s not a guarantee that you won’t catch covid, we are very unlikely to end up hospitalized due to covid.
Anyway. It is definitely up to each individual/family to access their risk and decide.

Yes there is medical coverage for each of us.
It includes emergency flight home too. We already checked the coverage when we booked.
We are fully vaccinated, and while I know it’s not a guarantee that you won’t catch covid, we are very unlikely to end up hospitalized due to covid.
Anyway. It is definitely up to each individual/family to access their risk and decide.
You will not be flying home until/unless you test negative.

You will not be flying home until/unless you test negative.
That’s fine.
Edited to add: Our covid insurance coverage says emergency flight home is included. ? Not sure what that means exactly but we except to either have to quarantine or drive home if we test positive.

Last edited:
Our covid insurance includes coverage for different emergencies that may arise as a result of Covid.
We also have a plan B if need be.
If we had to quarantine that’s fine too.
All scenarios that are unlikely to happen.
I don’t really want to get off topic in this thread and discuss our covid insurance though. That is up to everyone to look into, individually.

Our covid insurance includes coverage for different emergencies that may arise as a result of Covid.
We also have a plan B if need be.
If we had to quarantine that’s fine too.
All scenarios that are unlikely to happen.
I don’t really want to get off topic in this thread and discuss our covid insurance though. That is up to everyone to look into, individually.

Why wouldn’t you want to share the information you have on the insurance? It may help other people.

I will be there with my wife. I may rent a car for a day and just go test myself, that way if I'm positive my wife will not run into issues renting a car for the drive home. If I'm negative, theny wife will test and if she's positive, I will rent. Both negative means fly home. Not sure if I am over thinking that.

I have driven straight home 6 years in a row with 3 young children, and there will be no young children this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter