Aulani expansion worries.....

I just walked out to my lanai and it appears the bridge is about to open. The barricades have been taken down as well as a 'hut' they had up and they are picking a few more things up.

The construction noise didn't bother me at all. If you live in a small town with no noise then you might notice it. For me, it wasn't a hindrance and no one else in my family seemed to mind.

I will tell you what has bothered me more than the construction has been, what appears to be, one little girl screeching a very high pitched screech. She drowns out the construction noise. I have an ear that can't take high pitches very well and she drove me nuts today. I have my doors open to my lanai and I heard her when I was in the shower this morning. Fortunately, I wasn't here after 10 so I didn't have to hear it ALL day long. But it was the same on Wednesday, yesterday I was gone early enough or she wasn't out.

I will tell you what has bothered me more than the construction has been, what appears to be, one little girl screeching a very high pitched screech. She drowns out the construction noise. I have an ear that can't take high pitches very well and she drove me nuts today. I have my doors open to my lanai and I heard her when I was in the shower this morning. Fortunately, I wasn't here after 10 so I didn't have to hear it ALL day long. But it was the same on Wednesday, yesterday I was gone early enough or she wasn't out.

I totally agree! We have heard her constantly today! My other complaint isn't about the resort but about the inconsiderate guests. We love the infinity edge double decker hot tub, but almost never have we been able to go enjoy it without it being totally full of unattended kids. Several times there were more people under the age of 5 in there than there were people over the age of 18. Tonight we were out there enjoying the sunset, when a large group of 8-12 year old age group kids invaded and were jumping from the top level down to the lower level.

Yes I agree with the previous posts. I just got back from Aulani yesterday and I just wanted to say that the beeping of the trucks is just one of many other sounds that you face when you request a room facing the pool. I didn't mind any of it because that is just what you get when at a busy resort in paradise - and a Disney resort with many children - to boot. I heard the little girl as well as the kids yelling the entire way down the slides, the singers from the bar until 10 at night, the chanting at 7am, the baby crying in the room next to me - all of it. But to me that was so much more wonderful then being at work and listening to all of the co-workers in the cubes typing, complaining about the endless snow etc.

If these noises bother you, you may want to request a room in the Ewa buiding facing the ocean and the lawn where the starlight hui performs. They do show movies when the show isn't happening but I would guess that side of the building is much quieter.

I had a wonderful time and the construction didn't bother us one bit.

I totally agree! We have heard her constantly today! My other complaint isn't about the resort but about the inconsiderate guests. We love the infinity edge double decker hot tub, but almost never have we been able to go enjoy it without it being totally full of unattended kids. Several times there were more people under the age of 5 in there than there were people over the age of 18. Tonight we were out there enjoying the sunset, when a large group of 8-12 year old age group kids invaded and were jumping from the top level down to the lower level.

I take it there are no rules posted anywhere that has an age limit or restrictions with "must be accompanied by an adult" or anything? Maybe you could put that on a suggestion card? I know that's annoying because I've seen the hot tubs on the DCL ships get over-run by kids before.

We are booked 2013 and have an oceanview 1 bedroom. What location would you suggest for some peace and quiet? We would love a high floor.

For the quieter rooms - I would suggest any room not facing the pool. If you want the ocean view, select the short wing Ewa building facing the Ocean. It overlooks the lawn where the Starlit Hui performs (mondays and thursdays) and sometimes they play a movie in the evening. But you get the ocean views and the quieter location. But remember you are in a family resort and there will be noise, but away from the pool will be quieter.

Actually, the pool noise has not bothered us much (other than the aforementioned screamer), and while we hear the music from the restaurants etc. at night, all is done by 10:00 so it isn't an issue other than that first night when you aren't used to the time change.

As for the spa rules....Yes, it's posted...No, they don't enforce it, and parent's aren't watching at all. Last night there were kids in the 5-7 age range in there with no adult anywhere to be seen. The biggest issue though, was the 8-13 age group. They were the ones jumping from the upper to lower level of the spa tub. It certainly made us get out of there when we were trying to enjoy the sunset view.

I actually liked being near the restaurant because I could enjoy the music from my lanai. I didn't realize the chanter did the chant at 7:05, I was awake generally anyway since I couldn't get on Hawaii time to save my life. However, the pool noise in general did NOT bother me. I'm NOT complaining about general pool noise. There was one small child, and I actually finally saw her on the tubes in the lazy river, that would screech very high pitched. From the time she got to the pool to the time she left. This went on from Wednesday until I left yesterday, except for when I was gone. I am very sensitive to high pitch noises and generally can drown them out. But when I'm in the shower and can hear ONE child...that is ridiculous and lack of parental guidance as far as I'm concerned. I could tell when the pool opened, I could tell when they went to lunch or for a nap and I could tell when they left the pool area for the day. She was out noisying the construction beeps at some points. And at one point on Saturday, I knew when she was at the beach as well.

However, I tried to not let any of that bother me because I was not in IL in the cold or at work. But the high pitch screech was bothering my ear.

I actually liked being near the restaurant because I could enjoy the music from my lanai. I didn't realize the chanter did the chant at 7:05, I was awake generally anyway since I couldn't get on Hawaii time to save my life. However, the pool noise in general did NOT bother me. I'm NOT complaining about general pool noise. There was one small child, and I actually finally saw her on the tubes in the lazy river, that would screech very high pitched. From the time she got to the pool to the time she left. This went on from Wednesday until I left yesterday, except for when I was gone. I am very sensitive to high pitch noises and generally can drown them out. But when I'm in the shower and can hear ONE child...that is ridiculous and lack of parental guidance as far as I'm concerned. I could tell when the pool opened, I could tell when they went to lunch or for a nap and I could tell when they left the pool area for the day. She was out noisying the construction beeps at some points. And at one point on Saturday, I knew when she was at the beach as well.

However, I tried to not let any of that bother me because I was not in IL in the cold or at work. But the high pitch screech was bothering my ear.
Believe it or not, I think she went home today too! I haven't heard a shriek all day!:thumbsup2

I too just returned from Aulani (Sunday) and I think everyone has done a good job giving their trip reports on the last week. I will say we had an amazing and relaxing trip but have no doubt it is very noisy. One day we thought they were crushing glass all day. I think Disney has done a pretty poor job in the way they have handled it. I talked to some members who had no idea it was being torn up until they arrived. They were very upset that Disney had not communicated anything to them. One of the other things I thought was a little upsetting was hearing all the cash customer talked about the great deal they got (like 40% off) because of the remodel yet as DVC members we "pay" full price. I think it would have gone a long way to help soften the blow of all the noise it DVC had either offered a small points credit or even a small resort credit. Just my thoughts.

I too just returned from Aulani (Sunday) and I think everyone has done a good job giving their trip reports on the last week. I will say we had an amazing and relaxing trip but have no doubt it is very noisy. One day we thought they were crushing glass all day. I think Disney has done a pretty poor job in the way they have handled it. I talked to some members who had no idea it was being torn up until they arrived. They were very upset that Disney had not communicated anything to them. One of the other things I thought was a little upsetting was hearing all the cash customer talked about the great deal they got (like 40% off) because of the remodel yet as DVC members we "pay" full price. I think it would have gone a long way to help soften the blow of all the noise it DVC had either offered a small points credit or even a small resort credit. Just my thoughts.

I am trying to keep upbeat about our trip in May. But some of the things I am hearing is really making it difficult. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and I don't think we will be returning too soon. I am not expecting perfection, but having the resort torn up and loud noises all day will upset me. Sure wish we could delay the trip. But we borrowed points, have purchased airline tickets, and non- refundable resort stays on the Big Island. We chose these dates because the CM I spoke with said that they should be about finished by the time we go and that there shouldn't be much construction going on by then, just finishing touches. This is kind of a once in a lifetime trip for my 50th birthday. I sure hope that it isn't as bad as I am imagining it.

I just got back from Aulani yesterday. We had an 9th floor ocean view in the Ewa building. The view was amazing! I didn't really notice the construction noise from our balcony and we had the patio doors open the whole time.

As far as the pool and beach, the construction noise didn't bother us. I grew up in a city though, so background sounds like construction don't stand out to me. There are kids around the pool, some were well behave and some weren't. Sure it would have been nice if they weren't there, but they were. Just like I've learned to ignore the whining/crying kids while in the parks, I ignored the annoying kids at the pool.

For those who are worried about their upcoming trip: Aulani is a beautiful property! Don't let the construction ruin your excitement for your trip =)

I just got back from Aulani yesterday. We had an 9th floor ocean view in the Ewa building. The view was amazing! I didn't really notice the construction noise from our balcony and we had the patio doors open the whole time.

As far as the pool and beach, the construction noise didn't bother us. I grew up in a city though, so background sounds like construction don't stand out to me. There are kids around the pool, some were well behave and some weren't. Sure it would have been nice if they weren't there, but they were. Just like I've learned to ignore the whining/crying kids while in the parks, I ignored the annoying kids at the pool.

For those who are worried about their upcoming trip: Aulani is a beautiful property! Don't let the construction ruin your excitement for your trip =)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm really not worried about children and the noise that normally comes along with them. I was a teacher for many years and that type of noise is just background sounds to me. We are more concerned with the appearance and availability of certain areas of the resort due to construction. The view of the construction walls from the beach seem to look pretty bad from the pictures I've seen. And with the quiet pool out of commission, we are concerned with a crowded main pool. I think that the main problem is wondering whether the construction will put a damper on the atmosphere of the resort. We were assuming we would be in a tropical wonderland not a construction zone.

Eva, I'm with Christine. We spent 8 nights at Aulani in January and the construction didn't bother us at all. The pool was crowded only on the weekend and even then not so bad. Actually, the deck was crowded not the pool. Hard to find a lounger. Beach had plenty of room.

As for the view of the walls from the beach, we face the ocean when we're enjoying the beach. :goodvibes One of my favorite things to do on vacation in Hawaii is to walk in the early morning along the shore. The walls didn't bother me even then. The walls depict the "enhancements" and are fun to see. And I've seen some people talk about Ama Ama being impacted by the walls. We couldn't see the walls at all from our table either time. Just ask for a table set back a bit if you think it will bother you.

The Valley is so heavily landscaped that the construction walls aren't visible from most areas on the ground level. Certainly visible from the area where the cabanas are located but again whether in a cabana or a plain old lounger, you will be facing the pool not the construction walls.

Enjoy the anticipation. Aulani is truly beautiful.

Funny, but we DID get notice of the construction, and I didn't think there was that much noise at all. Perhaps it's location though. The only place I really noticed the noise from the construction was when we were at Lawani Spa for our spa treatments, and then I only heard it from the outdoor water areas.

We're headed to Aulani in April (woo!). I called MS and checked with them about the state of the construction. The CM I talked to had extremely limited information about the "expansion" (I was corrected, it's not construction, it's expansion".) I was given Aulani's main phone number 808-674-6200 and told that I could call them a week or so before our arrival to get an update.

I'm a pretty flexible person and can just roll with whatever changes are happening. However, my spouse is very particular and I'm a bit nervous about her reaction. Hopefully the beauty of Hawaii and just being on vacation will help reduce any impact that the construction, errrr, expansion will have.

We're headed to Aulani in April (woo!). I called MS and checked with them about the state of the construction. The CM I talked to had extremely limited information about the "expansion" (I was corrected, it's not construction, it's expansion".) I was given Aulani's main phone number 808-674-6200 and told that I could call them a week or so before our arrival to get an update.

I'm a pretty flexible person and can just roll with whatever changes are happening. However, my spouse is very particular and I'm a bit nervous about her reaction. Hopefully the beauty of Hawaii and just being on vacation will help reduce any impact that the construction, errrr, expansion will have.

I just returned from Aulani. Our room was on the 4th floor of the Ewa tower, room 476 so fairly close to the elevators. I never heard or was bothered by construction noise. Perhaps it is because there was so much ambient noise from the pool slide and the menehune bridge? The construction in front of the Waiane tower was not visible from our room and when we ate at Ama Ama we could see the construction walls from our table but it did not obstruct the view at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter