• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani expansion worries.....

Lisacope said:
I just returned from Aulani. Our room was on the 4th floor of the Ewa tower, room 476 so fairly close to the elevators. I never heard or was bothered by construction noise. Perhaps it is because there was so much ambient noise from the pool slide and the menehune bridge? The construction in front of the Waiane tower was not visible from our room and when we ate at Ama Ama we could see the construction walls from our table but it did not obstruct the view at all.

I was just there as well in 579. No noise from the unit but I did notice some from the pool. It seems like most of the construction is near the hotel side of the resort.

I am a little confused ...... which side of the resort is DVC and which side is the hotel? For some reason I thought they were all together, but when I think about it, all the other hotel/DVC combinations at WDW are separate (BCV/BWV/BLT/AKV Kidani/VWL).

I am a little confused ...... which side of the resort is DVC and which side is the hotel? For some reason I thought they were all together, but when I think about it, all the other hotel/DVC combinations at WDW are separate (BCV/BWV/BLT/AKV Kidani/VWL).

Perhaps the map below will help.

The DVC vacation homes are are both sides of the resort. As you look at the map, the vacation homes on the left side, or Ewa side, are in the wings numbered 50-59, 60-69, and 70-89. The vacation homes on the right side, or Waianae (Why-a-KNEE) side are in the wing numbered 01-13.

The hotel portion of Aulani is on the Waianae side in the wings numbered 20-29 and 30-47.

Most of the major construction is occurring in the area of the green lawn that is in the upper right part of the map, near the white-on-red letter H.

AulaniMapCabanas2.jpg

In the scheme of things, very little of the resort is "hotel" in comparison to what is DVC. If you look at WDRL's post above, you can see how far more of the hotel rooms face the island and fewer face the ocean as compared to DVC rooms.

Just to add my 2 cents, I was staying on the island side and heard no construction whatsoever. However, when at the spa, you could hear some of the construction noise going on, since it is so quiet by the outside water area, so that was a bit of a drawback. That being said, the spa is absolutely fabulous, so don't skip that one :goodvibes

As for the construction noise in the main area, yes, you can see the construction walls from the beach if you are looking back towards the resort, but frankly, with a great ocean view, why look backwards, lol. Also, there is some noise coming from the area, but as others have said, the kids, ocean and other ambient noises seemed to drown it out.

I am trying to keep upbeat about our trip in May. But some of the things I am hearing is really making it difficult. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and I don't think we will be returning too soon. I am not expecting perfection, but having the resort torn up and loud noises all day will upset me. Sure wish we could delay the trip. But we borrowed points, have purchased airline tickets, and non- refundable resort stays on the Big Island. We chose these dates because the CM I spoke with said that they should be about finished by the time we go and that there shouldn't be much construction going on by then, just finishing touches. This is kind of a once in a lifetime trip for my 50th birthday. I sure hope that it isn't as bad as I am imagining it.

When my husband and I were able to book our trip in May (which I think we booked in October) that was the first thing I questioned as well. Especially since we went last year in March and absolutely loved it. We also got a tip from a Cast Member that May was a great time to go because the kids are out of school, so hopefully less crowded.

Anyways I still made what I felt were the necessary calls to DVC and to Aulani both of which had different stories of when the "noisey" construction would be done.So my husband and I decided to wait and keep our ears open.

We then too a Disney cruise in December, where again we spoke with DVC members who guaranteed us that there would be only quiet work done during the time that we will be there. So I guess we just trust think positive and think for the best.

When my husband and I were able to book our trip in May (which I think we booked in October) that was the first thing I questioned as well. Especially since we went last year in March and absolutely loved it. We also got a tip from a Cast Member that May was a great time to go because the kids are out of school, so hopefully less crowded.

Anyways I still made what I felt were the necessary calls to DVC and to Aulani both of which had different stories of when the "noisey" construction would be done.So my husband and I decided to wait and keep our ears open.

We then too a Disney cruise in December, where again we spoke with DVC members who guaranteed us that there would be only quiet work done during the time that we will be there. So I guess we just trust think positive and think for the best.
If the noise is no worse than what we had in February, you will be just fine. The construction area that's left is quite small, and there wasn't that much noise that we could hear. As I said earlier, I really only heard it from the outdoor area of the Lawani spa. It certainly didn't affect our enjoyment of the resort in any way other than to possibly funnel more children into the beautiful hot tubs instead of into their own kiddie area. It is my understanding that the expansion is mostly a kiddie pool.

I check last week on DVC and found a week open in May so I booked it. I am a little concerned about the construction but after reading serveral post from others it appears to be not that bad.

ludari said:
I check last week on DVC and found a week open in May so I booked it. I am a little concerned about the construction but after reading serveral post from others it appears to be not that bad.

I was there this weekend and I think you'll be fine. That being said ill be back in may too so I guess ill find out if anything has changed in may at the same time as you!

I was there this weekend and I think you'll be fine. That being said ill be back in may too so I guess ill find out if anything has changed in may at the same time as you!

Thanks for making me feel better about my upcoming trip.

Here now and the pool area is smaller than in July but still very manageable. There is only one access point to the lagoon so there is a lot of foot traffic in that area of the pool. Have noticed walls coming down and going up but no real noise to complain about. Also you get some goodies for booking and staying during the construction. Looks to be on track to open with phase three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter