Aulani questions

AddictedtoDoleWhip

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about Aulani that I hope you can answer, we will be going to Aulani for Spring Break (very excited!) and I was wondering about a few things..

1) Should we rent a car? I know there are a few places that are walkable from the resort, but I know that if we want to do sight-seeing tourist-y things that we are going to need a vehicle right? The person I am going with seems to think otherwise, and says she would rather use public transportation but I don't know how reliable it is and I am pretty certain that it will take 3x as long to get to certain areas if we go that route. I think she's afraid of the cost, but I am thinking if we only rent a car for a few days it shouldn't be that bad right? Can you guys give me some tips on this and a good argument as to why a car is needed lol.

2) What are some good food places to eat and what is everyones favorite dish that they had while they were there? (I am open for restaurants outside of Aulani, I have heard bad things about the food at Aulani, but I happened to love most of the character buffets at WDW except for Chef Mickey's so I am easily pleased.)

3) I have been doing research on the Room Service, but I am wondering if they have things for a smaller group of people? There will only be two of us, and we can't eat for a family of four... but if that's all they have, is the Room Service food good?

4) What is the weather like in April?

5) Which area is the best area to stay in the Resort? I know there is construction, but will the noise affect our stay there? Or do you barely notice it when you are inside?

6) Which characters are seen around Aulani? (I know they won't have as many as they do in the parks, but I am crossing my fingers that my three favorite characters will be there :hyper:)

That's all I can think of now, but I am sure I'll pop back in here if I have more questions! Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about Aulani that I hope you can answer, we will be going to Aulani for Spring Break (very excited!) and I was wondering about a few things..

1) Should we rent a car? I know there are a few places that are walkable from the resort, but I know that if we want to do sight-seeing tourist-y things that we are going to need a vehicle right? The person I am going with seems to think otherwise, and says she would rather use public transportation but I don't know how reliable it is and I am pretty certain that it will take 3x as long to get to certain areas if we go that route. I think she's afraid of the cost, but I am thinking if we only rent a car for a few days it shouldn't be that bad right? Can you guys give me some tips on this and a good argument as to why a car is needed lol.

There really is no public transportation to Aulani in the Ko Olina Resort. A taxi to and from the airport will run you more than $100 RT and a car service will cost about $240 RT. We rented an SUV for 7 days for $220, but your rate will likely be higher if you are there the week before or after Easter. If you are DVC member, there is no charge for parking.
2) What are some good food places to eat and what is everyones favorite dish that they had while they were there? (I am open for restaurants outside of Aulani, I have heard bad things about the food at Aulani, but I happened to love most of the character buffets at WDW except for Chef Mickey's so I am easily pleased.)

We liked the food at the Resort in general. As 2 adults, we enjoyed the character breakfast. I thought the food was fine and there was a good variety.

We also ate at One Paddle Two Paddle, and enjoyed the burger and fries. You can order the same food at Off the Hook until 6 pm or just take your food there to eat. There are no tables at 1P2P.

And the Shave Ice is excellant. My husband thought they needed ice cream, not just the frozen yogurt in the Lava Shack.

We ate lunch most days at the Country Market in the strip mall which was a short 10 minute walk from Aulani. Best value: Pizza Combo, including made to order slice, salad with 3 non-meat add-ons and 32 oz drink for $5.75. My husband had a fried chicken breast ($2.89) with side of white rice ($0.89).

3) I have been doing research on the Room Service, but I am wondering if they have things for a smaller group of people? There will only be two of us, and we can't eat for a family of four... but if that's all they have, is the Room Service food good?

We never ordered room service but brought food back from 1P2P and ate on our lanai while listening to music from the Olelo Room. There is a standard room service menu, as well as the family meals.

It should be perfect. We found January to be a little cold with lows of 62 degrees!
5) Which area is the best area to stay in the Resort? I know there is construction, but will the noise affect our stay there? Or do you barely notice it when you are inside?

We could see the construction from our lanai and imagined that if we had a pre-schooler with us, they would have been pretty excited by the construction equipment as an added-value to the Resort. We heard mostly beeping from vehicles backing up. We only noticed it if the door to the lanai was open, but we had it open most of the time we were in the room. It did not have any significant impact on our enjoyment of our stay.
We stayed in the Phase 1 wing of the Ewa building on the top floor with an ocean view. It was a perfect location, both for the view and for how convenient it was.

6) Which characters are seen around Aulani? (I know they won't have as many as they do in the parks, but I am crossing my fingers that my three favorite characters will be there :hyper:)

Stitch, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip, and Dale.
That's all I can think of now, but I am sure I'll pop back in here if I have more questions! Thank you in advance!

See my comments above -- Suzanne

We also rented an SUV for 7 days. It was a big SUV (I think they call it Mid-Sized as opposed to Standard), and it was $265 including the taxes. I think a standard car for the same week was about $100 less. I think you should check how much the car rental is, and see how much it would cost for airport transportation. You might find that it's close to being a wash, which should convince your friend :-) I found Costco to have the best rental car rates, but note that they vary greatly from day to day. You have to keep checking back.

Food wasn't the highlight of our trip. I ate at most of the on-site restaurants, and they were all just okay. The shave ice was good, though!

They have a regular menu as well as the family meals. They will also work with you if there is something you want. My mom wasn't feeling well, and they sent up chicken noodle soup (even though it wasn't on the regular menu).

In addition to what the PP listed, Donald was also there during our trip.

We just returned from Aulani. Stayed 1/9-1/17. Answers follow questions.

We rented through Hawaiian Discount Car Rental. They booked us a Large class, Nissan Altima, through Alamo for $275 for the 8 days. We used the car a lot driving to the north shore, Cultural Center, Aloha Bowl swap meet, Diamond Head...It also saved on the trips to grab some light groceries and snacks and airport to resort costs. As DVC members, parking was free.

We ate at the Monkey Pod Tree Kitchen 3 nights. The food was great. Must have the Raw Bar sampler and the pork tacos! It a short walk across the street, about 10 minutes. Also ate at the buffet two nights, pretty good, but expensive $43... and one night at Ama Ama, also pretty good. We also went to the shrimp trucks on the north shore, a must do...

Did not do room service

it was just 75-80 during the day, about 60 - 70 at night with a breeze. They said the weather was a little colder than usual the last few weeks. Water was chilly, but we swam every day in the pool, ocean and the lazy river.

We had an ocean view. 9th floor in Ewa Tower, 972, two rooms off the elevator over looking the pools and ocean. Very convenient to everything, short walk to lobby, door out to pools was right off the elevator entrance. Little noise from construction, but mostly just the beeping from the construction vehicles.

6) Which characters are seen around Aulani? (I know they won't have as many as they do in the parks, but I am crossing my fingers that my three favorite characters will be there )

Mickey,Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Stitch, Chip and Dale.

I have been told that 'The Bus', which is the public transporation is great. But I've seen other posts that have said going into Honolulu can take almost 2 hours on the bus, because of all the stops. I went ahead and rented a car, I was going back and forth on whether or not to do it. I think I'm going to be happy that I did. I'm finding some of the excursions I can do on my own for cheaper because I can drive to the locations now. And it opens me more ability to do more things as well as get groceries since I'll have a 1 bedroom because I wanted to be able to eat in room if I wanted.

Good luck.

So it's official, I am going to Aulani in 1.5 months! =) We are renting a car (hallelujah!)

So my questions now are what are some of your favorite touristy things to do? We will not be leaving Oahu, because of the time it takes to get through the airport to get to Maui, and all that. We already plan on visiting Pearl Harbor and all that, but what are some fun tours that we can do or awesome sight seeing places? I am open for almost anything! (I am not big on heights! so no skydiving or something like that and I am not a very strong swimmer, but I can swim!)

So it's official, I am going to Aulani in 1.5 months! =) We are renting a car (hallelujah!)

So my questions now are what are some of your favorite touristy things to do? We will not be leaving Oahu, because of the time it takes to get through the airport to get to Maui, and all that. We already plan on visiting Pearl Harbor and all that, but what are some fun tours that we can do or awesome sight seeing places? I am open for almost anything! (I am not big on heights! so no skydiving or something like that and I am not a very strong swimmer, but I can swim!)

Depending on when you're going I think you could maybe look for a whale watching excursion. The whales migrate back to Alaska into April. We went once in late April / early May and saw a few from a snorkeling excursion - fascinating! The earlier in the spring that you go the more you'll see. There's also always hula lessons or surf lessons.... We definitely plan on driving to the North Shore to see the sea turtles and to eat at some of the food trucks. And of course there's always snorkeling. :thumbsup2

AddictedtoDoleWhip said:

We will be there right after you!! Leaving 2 months from today. I'm not particularly crazy about heights either, but, I loved the view from atop Diamond Head Crater. If you go, plan to go EARLY, to beat the crowds & avoid the heat. Bring water, wear good shoes, and of course, bring a camera.

dizneekrazee said:
We will be there right after you!! Leaving 2 months from today. I'm not particularly crazy about heights either, but, I loved the view from atop Diamond Head Crater. If you go, plan to go EARLY, to beat the crowds & avoid the heat. Bring water, wear good shoes, and of course, bring a camera.

And we'll be there right after you (20th).

we also leave 2 months from today! Evening flight from Seattle to HNL on April 12th:) We arrive really late so we are staying in Waikiki one night (then the kids can see the beach in the morning too) and then off to Aulani the next afternoon. We will be there from Sat- Wed and then staying at our fav beach house on Haleiwa on the North Shore from Wed-Sun. So excited!!

mom2aidanNpiper said:
we also leave 2 months from today! Evening flight from Seattle to HNL on April 12th:) We arrive really late so we are staying in Waikiki one night (then the kids can see the beach in the morning too) and then off to Aulani the next afternoon. We will be there from Sat- Wed and then staying at our fav beach house on Haleiwa on the North Shore from Wed-Sun. So excited!!

Then we will see you guys there!! We will be at Aulani Fri-Tues., and our flight lands just before noon so we will head straight to Aulani.

I did a whale watching today - 4:30-6:30 with Island Divers and I highly recommend them. I got mine booked through a Groupon. They were awesome.

Yesterday I did Pearl Harbor with Discount Hawaii Tours (booked off of the Pearl Harbor website) and they were AMAZING!

The rest of my time here I'm going to go explore on my own since I have a car.

If you're thinking of surfing lessons, I'd recommend Hawaiian Fire... they take you to a pretty quiet beach that just happens to be near Aulani. Their instructors and equipment were top notch. They'll pick you up at Aulani, or give you directions so you can meet them there. http://www.hawaiianfire.com/ didn't realize until later that they're one of the top rated activities on Oahu on TripAdvisor... well deserved!

One excursion that I don't hear people discuss much on these boards is Kualoa Ranch. It is a working ranch located in a stunningly beautiful valley on the windward (i.e., eastern) coast of Oahu. They offer half-day and full-day itineraries including a jungle tour, an RTV tour, horseback riding, and much more. Hands down, it was the best thing that we did while there... Picture yourself in the middle of an episode of Lost, and you'll get an idea of how beautiful it is (in fact, many scenes from that show were shot right there). When we go back to Hawai'i, Kualoa Ranch will definitely be on the itinerary again.:thumbsup2

One excursion that I don't hear people discuss much on these boards is Kualoa Ranch. It is a working ranch located in a stunningly beautiful valley on the windward (i.e., eastern) coast of Oahu. They offer half-day and full-day itineraries including a jungle tour, an RTV tour, horseback riding, and much more. Hands down, it was the best thing that we did while there... Picture yourself in the middle of an episode of Lost, and you'll get an idea of how beautiful it is (in fact, many scenes from that show were shot right there). When we go back to Hawai'i, Kualoa Ranch will definitely be on the itinerary again.:thumbsup2

Glad to hear that as I have already booked it for a day on their website. :thumbsup2 You get a 10% discount if you book and pay ahead. They have so many interesting things to see and do. I can't wait! Which parts did you like best? How long was the drive from Aulani?

Glad to hear that as I have already booked it for a day on their website. :thumbsup2 You get a 10% discount if you book and pay ahead. They have so many interesting things to see and do. I can't wait! Which parts did you like best? How long was the drive from Aulani?

Yes, we also took advantage of that 10% discount for pre-paying. My favorite was the ATV excursion -- totally thrilling! I was a bit nervous about it beforehand, but needn't have been. I really felt as if I were out in the middle of the Hawaiian "wilderness!":moped:

The horseback riding was also fun, but since I hadn't been on a horse since I was 12 years old, I spent the first half of the experience being nervous about my horse.:rotfl2:

I think when we go back, we will do the longer ATV tour.

I realized I didn't respond to the second part of your question about the drive from Aulani... weeellll, that part was not quite so fabulous. First of all, if you have never been to Oahu before you need to know that their traffic is pretty horrendous (and this coming from someone who lives in New York City). We left Aulani at a time we thought was very early: about 6:15am to get to Kualoa by 8:00am (mapquest told us the trip would take 55 minutes). It just so happened that a woman went into labor on the highway heading towards Honolulu, and we were in stand-still traffic for a loooonnng time.:drive: The good news is that we did get there at about 8:30am, which wasn't too bad, all in all... We just wanted to get there!

Moral of the story -- if you are heading in the direction of Honolulu, allow yourself plenty of extra time.

If you're thinking of surfing lessons, I'd recommend Hawaiian Fire... they take you to a pretty quiet beach that just happens to be near Aulani. Their instructors and equipment were top notch. They'll pick you up at Aulani, or give you directions so you can meet them there. http://www.hawaiianfire.com/ didn't realize until later that they're one of the top rated activities on Oahu on TripAdvisor... well deserved!

We're planning to book surf lessons here...any idea of about how far in advance we need to book this? Months? Weeks?:confused3

We're planning to book surf lessons here...any idea of about how far in advance we need to book this? Months? Weeks?:confused3

Well... I booked it about 12 hours in advance. It was January 24 (so pretty low season), and it was just for 1 person... Not much help, I guess. Wouldn't hurt to call and get an idea how busy they are during your trip to see what they'd suggest. If you've got a vehicle, your non surfing family and friends are welcome to come to the beach as well. Not great for swimming, but my kids played In the waves and sand and had a great time.

1) I would say if you can afford to rent a car, do it, if you are trying to save money, don't. :) We enjoyed the resort so much, on our next trip, we may only rent for a few days, do get groceries, etc. If you want to see the rest of the island, I would rather get a car than public transportation. That time lost waiting for buses, etc is valuable to me and my family, i.e. worth the cost.

2) I heard bad things about the food as well but so far so good. We haven't tried Ama Ama yet but I can say that we did enjoy Off the Hook very much. Simple but delicious menu. Dinner buffet was good. Trying breakfast one on Saturday. Hawaiian BBQ across the street wasn't great and was overpriced. Haven't tried Just Tacos yet. We ate at a Shrimp truck in North Shore and it was okay and also ate at Zippy's which was good.

3) The room service menu includes family meals as well as individual serve items so I am sure they will have something to fit your needs.

4) Not sure, it's Feb right now.

5) We barely noticed the noise. I don't think I would pay for a cabana but really even without construction you'll hear a plane fly above every few minutes. Both of those don't take away from the fact that you are an awesome resort.

6) Mickey, Minnie, Stitch, Chip, Dale, Goofy and Donald are all here! I don't think I am forgetting anyone. Be sure to take advantage of the photopass photogs that are everywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter