Aulani questions

I just realized I typed the Tour company's name wrong - it's Discover Hawaii Tours, not Discount. Sorry about that.

I got food from a shrimp truck and brought it back to my room after my day. I thought it was pretty good - I got the skampy. I think it's hit and miss with those trucks. I had some grilled chicken yesterday that was amazing - I got it at a corner food truck. LOL I just can't remember for sure where it was. It was on the way to the Tropical Farms Macadamian Nut farm.

One excursion that I don't hear people discuss much on these boards is Kualoa Ranch. It is a working ranch located in a stunningly beautiful valley on the windward (i.e., eastern) coast of Oahu. They offer half-day and full-day itineraries including a jungle tour, an RTV tour, horseback riding, and much more. Hands down, it was the best thing that we did while there... Picture yourself in the middle of an episode of Lost, and you'll get an idea of how beautiful it is (in fact, many scenes from that show were shot right there). When we go back to Hawai'i, Kualoa Ranch will definitely be on the itinerary again.:thumbsup2

Thanks, for the tip!! I just checked it out. Wat tour did you do through them?? TIA!!

One excursion that I don't hear people discuss much on these boards is Kualoa Ranch. It is a working ranch located in a stunningly beautiful valley on the windward (i.e., eastern) coast of Oahu. They offer half-day and full-day itineraries including a jungle tour, an RTV tour, horseback riding, and much more. Hands down, it was the best thing that we did while there... Picture yourself in the middle of an episode of Lost, and you'll get an idea of how beautiful it is (in fact, many scenes from that show were shot right there). When we go back to Hawai'i, Kualoa Ranch will definitely be on the itinerary again.:thumbsup2

How far is this Ranch from the Aulani??!!

We spent 5 days on Oahu last year (did a day trip to Aulani too!) and did a Kualoa Ranch tour with KOS tours which was a LOST specific tour. It was AMAZING. 4 people max per hummer and one guide. best thing we did on the island except get married lol). I did a trip report here on the boards since after HI we did a DCL cruise.

Here's the link: index in first post at the bottom. Our ranch tour was day 4. Lots of pics!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2877757

Is anybody at Aulani right now? Or going very soon? I have a favor to ask.

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about Aulani that I hope you can answer, we will be going to Aulani for Spring Break (very excited!) and I was wondering about a few things..

1) Should we rent a car? I know there are a few places that are walkable from the resort, but I know that if we want to do sight-seeing tourist-y things that we are going to need a vehicle right? The person I am going with seems to think otherwise, and says she would rather use public transportation but I don't know how reliable it is and I am pretty certain that it will take 3x as long to get to certain areas if we go that route. I think she's afraid of the cost, but I am thinking if we only rent a car for a few days it shouldn't be that bad right? Can you guys give me some tips on this and a good argument as to why a car is needed lol.
Definitely rent a car. There is just too much to do on the island that would be very time consuming and difficult without a car.

2) What are some good food places to eat and what is everyones favorite dish that they had while they were there? (I am open for restaurants outside of Aulani, I have heard bad things about the food at Aulani, but I happened to love most of the character buffets at WDW except for Chef Mickey's so I am easily pleased.) We have been very pleased with the food here at Aulani. Loved our meal at Makhiki, and our room service meal the first night was amazing! We went over to JW Marriott yesterday and ate at Chuck's steak and seafood, and enjoyed that very much too. Our favorite so far offsite though is the Monkeypod Kitchen across the road. WONDERFUL fusion type food and desserts.

3) I have been doing research on the Room Service, but I am wondering if they have things for a smaller group of people? There will only be two of us, and we can't eat for a family of four... but if that's all they have, is the Room Service food good? You don't have to order the family meals. You can older individual meals too, and that is what we did the first night. It was very good and seemed to come from Ama Ama.

4) What is the weather like in April? BEAUTIFUL year round!

5) Which area is the best area to stay in the Resort? I know there is construction, but will the noise affect our stay there? Or do you barely notice it when you are inside? We don't notice much of the noise from construction, but the music and pool can be heard easily even in our 10th floor unit.

6) Which characters are seen around Aulani? (I know they won't have as many as they do in the parks, but I am crossing my fingers that my three favorite characters will be there :hyper:)Minnie, Mickey, Goofey, Chip, Dale, Donald. Those are all we have seen so far.

That's all I can think of now, but I am sure I'll pop back in here if I have more questions! Thank you in advance!
Ask away, since we are here until Thursday.

dianeschlicht said:
Ask away, since we are here until Thursday.

I know you have already seen, and replied, to my thread I had started (about the gift card). Thank you for checking for me!!

Yes, we also took advantage of that 10% discount for pre-paying. My favorite was the ATV excursion -- totally thrilling! I was a bit nervous about it beforehand, but needn't have been. I really felt as if I were out in the middle of the Hawaiian "wilderness!":moped:

The horseback riding was also fun, but since I hadn't been on a horse since I was 12 years old, I spent the first half of the experience being nervous about my horse.:rotfl2:

I think when we go back, we will do the longer ATV tour.

I was just looking at their website and they have a few tours they offer. I'm not sure what the best one would be. Thinking of also doing the ATV but a bit nervous. I'm not really too interested in the horseback tour. Did they pick you up or did you drive yourself? Is it closer to Waikiki area or Aulani?

We did Germaines and Dolphin Watch with Dolphin Star.

Germaine's was OK and given that DVC kids were free I am glad I did it. Cross Luau off of the list for next time. In general the Spirit of Aloha is better than most Luaus in my opinion. My wife and kids liked it.

The Dolphin watch was really good. We debated on the more expensive experience on a smaller boat with snorkeling. we opted for Dolphin Star since we did not think our kids were ready for deep water snorkeling. They were great, I do think that if the boat was dull it might not be as good but it was only at 50% capacity so we could move around and see the dolphins and whales.

Besides that I had a hard time getting my family to leave the resort. It was juts so great hanging out there. Can't wait to go back and until the renos are done.

We spent 5 days on Oahu last year (did a day trip to Aulani too!) and did a Kualoa Ranch tour with KOS tours which was a LOST specific tour. It was AMAZING. 4 people max per hummer and one guide. best thing we did on the island except get married lol). I did a trip report here on the boards since after HI we did a DCL cruise.

Here's the link: index in first post at the bottom. Our ranch tour was day 4. Lots of pics!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2877757

Thank you so much for sharing your trip report and congrats on your marraige! Love the picture of you looking outside while your husband looked at you and the pictures of you kissing on the beach are beautiful!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip report and congrats on your marraige! Love the picture of you looking outside while your husband looked at you and the pictures of you kissing on the beach are beautiful!

Thank you! (blush) It was a really wonderful trip! We are headed back in 7 weeks (with the kids in tow) to celebrate our anniversary. So excited! 10 days there! Half the time at Aulani in a 1 bedroom villa, the other half at a beach house in Haleiwa on the North Shore. Can't wait!

I will be staying at the resort for 7 days in April, I'm not a DVC member, so my question is can I avoid the parking fee? I rented a car for 7 days. Instead of paying $35 a day, can I simply park across the street at Roy's or the Island Country Market and walk over the resort?

I've rented a car for 7 days and I'm trying to avoid paying $245 just to park! It's outrageous. Any ideas of how I can avoid these fees?

Can I park in the lot during the day for free? Is the charge for overnight?

Thanks!!!

The $35 is the daily charge. You get a ticket when you drive in and you start saying from then on up to the $35. Roy's is quite a walk away and it is in the private golf course so I would bet they would tow you away. And shops across the road still a good few min walk is also timed parking and there are parking inspectors as they also patrol the beach parking.

I will be staying at the resort for 7 days in April, I'm not a DVC member, so my question is can I avoid the parking fee? I rented a car for 7 days. Instead of paying $35 a day, can I simply park across the street at Roy's or the Island Country Market and walk over the resort?

I've rented a car for 7 days and I'm trying to avoid paying $245 just to park! It's outrageous. Any ideas of how I can avoid these fees?

Can I park in the lot during the day for free? Is the charge for overnight?

Thanks!!!

Are you renting points, or paying cash for a hotel room? If you are renting points and staying in a DVC unit, you get free parking...it doesn't matter if you are a DVC member or not.

Instead of paying $35 a day to park at the Aulani Resort, can I simply park across the street at Roy's or the Island Country Market and walk over the resort?

I've rented a car for 7 days and I'm trying to avoid paying $245 just to park! It's outrageous. Any ideas of how I can avoid these fees? BTW: I'm not a DVC member...

Its not a matter of simply walking across the street... its a bit farther than that... especially Roys. I would imagine that both Roys/the golf course and the shopping area (which does not have a huge abundance of parking) are monitoring parking. It is pretty common for hotels to charge that kind of rate in Hawaii, its difficult to avoid.

Are you renting points, or paying cash for a hotel room? If you are renting points and staying in a DVC unit, you get free parking...it doesn't matter if you are a DVC member or not.

Paying cash for the room, it's not a DVC unit.

Its not a matter of simply walking across the street... its a bit farther than that... especially Roys. I would imagine that both Roys/the golf course and the shopping area (which does not have a huge abundance of parking) are monitoring parking. It is pretty common for hotels to charge that kind of rate in Hawaii, its difficult to avoid.

While I think Aulani's daily parking rate IS excessively high I agree that all of the hotels in Hawaii charge for parking. I think we paid $20 or $25 / day the last time we were on Maui and I know we'll have to pay something at the Westin this time too (I just don't know how much yet). But they ALL charge.

Paying cash for the room, it's not a DVC unit.

Sorry, but then I think you're going to have to pay it. Perhaps you could book a car through the resort concierge only on the days you need one or maybe you could book something through Enterprise where they will come & get you and you could try to consolidate the number of days you actually need a car so that you don't need it for the whole week?!:confused3

Is there any reason not to go to Hawaii, Aulani in September or October?:confused3

Does anyone know if the restaurants at Aulani take the AP discount? :) I know they do for when we booked our hotel, but I wasn't sure if anywhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter