Aulani Travel advice

We flew LGB to HNL this past June. It was very easy and you are correct, sooooo much better than LAX!
The only "problem" with that is the price difference. We are flying from LAX to HNL on 3/4, and as an example, main cabin refundable is $480, round trip from LAX. The same seat, same day is $730. That's an extra grand for a family of four. I'm not sure LGB is a thousand bucks better than LAX, considering it's only about 25 minutes closer than LAX from my house. If you include parking, for a six day trip, LGB will save you about $150-175 over LAX, assuming you don't park in the $5 parking lot 6 miles away.

The only "problem" with that is the price difference. We are flying from LAX to HNL on 3/4, and as an example, main cabin refundable is $480, round trip from LAX. The same seat, same day is $730. That's an extra grand for a family of four. I'm not sure LGB is a thousand bucks better than LAX, considering it's only about 25 minutes closer than LAX from my house. If you include parking, for a six day trip, LGB will save you about $150-175 over LAX, assuming you don't park in the $5 parking lot 6 miles away.
Well, we flew on Southwest out of LGB to HNL and it was about the same, if not slightly less, than going out of LAX.

But, airfare is fickle and can vary greatly…

Well, we flew on Southwest out of LGB to HNL and it was about the same, if not slightly less, than going out of LAX.

But, airfare is fickle and can vary greatly…
True, and we only fly Hawaiian to the islands (Delta everywhere else). I spent years having to fly back and forth from So Cal to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and the Bay Area (Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose). We're talking hundreds of flights, and Southwest was the only airline that was practical for same-day out and back travel for meetings (Alaska on VERY rare occasions), so I've paid my Southwest dues and won't fly them anymore, anywhere.

I just booked flights to Aulani this morning. Flying from Reno through Oakland both ways. I booked Southwest.

I fly SW often and know what to expect. It was much cheaper that any other fare, especially when you add in the baggage fees.

The only "problem" with that is the price difference. We are flying from LAX to HNL on 3/4, and as an example, main cabin refundable is $480, round trip from LAX. The same seat, same day is $730. That's an extra grand for a family of four. ...

Sure, that's an issue, and everyone should do the math. For us two the cost diff is less of course. We live near Disneyland and take Uber/Lyft to the airport: LAX is about $100, LGB about $50.

Another consideration is the location of the Hawaiian gates at LAX, which are close to two miles from the curb (YMMV). I kid you not, last time we flew LAX it was gate 210B on this map of Terminal B aka the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Sure, that's an issue, and everyone should do the math. For us two the cost diff is less of course. We live near Disneyland and take Uber/Lyft to the airport: LAX is about $100, LGB about $50.

Another consideration is the location of the Hawaiian gates at LAX, which are close to two miles from the curb (YMMV). I kid you not, last time we flew LAX it was gate 210B on this map of Terminal B aka the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
We live in Yorba Linda, so the distance to LGB is 39 miles, versus 32 to LGB. Not sure how 7 extra miles ends up being an extra 50% bump, especially since you can take carpool lanes all the way to both airports, but I'll take your word for it.

We also don't mind the Hawaiian gates at LAX. We drive every time, and as I said, we usually fly Delta for all other travel, so we just park in structure 3 or 4 (I use the LAX parking app and pre-pay, typically saving 50-60%) and we're good for either airline. I also like the access to a lounge so I can arrive early, get something to eat, and relax a bit, and the Bradley Terminal has a Centurion Lounge. As you said, everyone j\has their own travel preferences, so it's all good.

We live in Yorba Linda, so the distance to LGB is 39 miles, versus 32 to LGB. Not sure how 7 extra miles ends up being an extra 50% bump, especially since you can take carpool lanes all the way to both airports, but I'll take your word for it.

We also don't mind the Hawaiian gates at LAX. We drive every time, and as I said, we usually fly Delta for all other travel, so we just park in structure 3 or 4 (I use the LAX parking app and pre-pay, typically saving 50-60%) and we're good for either airline. I also like the access to a lounge so I can arrive early, get something to eat, and relax a bit, and the Bradley Terminal has a Centurion Lounge. As you said, everyone j\has their own travel preferences, so it's all good.
Ooh I didn’t know about the LAX app and pre-pay to park! Approximately how much per day? LAX is our airport and we usually park at the Parking Spot on Century, and I want to say it’s like $27 per day for self park.

Ooh I didn’t know about the LAX app and pre-pay to park! Approximately how much per day? LAX is our airport and we usually park at the Parking Spot on Century, and I want to say it’s like $27 per day for self park.
LAX Official Airport Parking

Looks like the Century lot might be $13 per day? The rate scale changes depending on how far in advance you book. You can get valet at Terminal 3 or 4 for as low as $32 per day (versus $75) if you purchase far enough in advance. We book our parking when we book our flights. That gives us access to the Delta terminal (3) or Bradley and the Sky Club and/or Centurion Lounge.

Last edited:
LAX Official Airport Parking

Looks like the Century lot might be $13 per day? The rate scale changes depending on how far in advance you book. You can get valet at Terminal 3 or 4 for as low as $32 per day (versus $75) if you purchase far enough in advance. We book our parking when we book our flights. That gives us access to the Delta terminal (3) or Bradley and the Sky Club and/or Centurion Lounge.
Thank you!
Since it’s prepaid, is change allowed? I often book my flights after monitoring airfare first, then cancel and rebook when fare drops. Actually, as I am typing, I realize this doesn’t change the dates. But if I do end up adding a day at the beginning or end of stay, wondering if I can modify the prepaid parking dates…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter