Aussies beat the heat and escape to a Winter Wonderland! 01/06 COMPLETE!

Just checking back in to see if we can have another update real soon please :flower3:

Sorry!! I have been very slack with my TR lately.. I think I've become all consumed with work!

I promise to get another update soon, it will be good for me to relive some of the happy memories and get me excited for our next trip which is almost less than a year away now... Thanks for sticking with me!

DAY TWENTY – Niagara Falls to New York

We awoke the next morning to heavy snow and overcast skies (in contrast to the beautiful day we’d just had yesterday!) and made our way to the train station.

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Travelling from Niagara to New York was one of the most difficult trips to organise. I spent a lot of time scouring different combinations of plane/train/car trips and eventually decided that the best way for us to do it would be to catch a train from Niagara to Buffalo, and then fly to New York. I had a lot of trouble with train timetables for this journey as the route is operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail. In all of my research it appeared that it was not possible to take a continuous train from Niagara to New York, which is why we decided to fly part of the way. When we actually got on the train however; we found out it was travelling all the way to NYC! And even worse, was getting there at the same time as our flight (about an 8 hour journey in total, including the stop at the border which took about an hour) since we had a wait at the airport. We were extremely tempted to just pay the extra fare and remain on the comfortable, warm train given the weather conditions and the hassle of having to get off and transfer, but since we had already paid for our flights we did go ahead and get off at Buffalo.

We had a fantastic taxi driver from Buffalo train station to the airport who was very experienced in driving in the snowy conditions with very poor visibility. We passed several accidents along the way. When we made it to the airport the lovely man who checked us in put us on an earlier flight, which we were able to catch as it had been delayed by the snow. This made me pleased that we’d decided to get off the train after all, as we did arrive in NYC quite a bit earlier in the train in the end. Although if I ever do this journey again, I am definitely just taking the train!

IMG_1618.jpg

Our plane stuck in the snow

We arrived at JFK airport just as it got dark. We debated how to get from the airport to Manhattan as we knew there was public transport available, but decided to just take a taxi in the end. We had an interesting experience catching a taxi as an official looking man greeted us at the door and walked us towards his taxi. There were two lines of vehicles; one of the iconic yellow New York cabs, and then a variety of other unmarked cars, including the one we were being led towards. Sensing something wasn’t right I asked if he had a taxi meter and could show us his license. He said he was a private driver and would be much cheaper than a taxi. We thought this was dodgy and thanked him but caught a proper, marked taxi instead.

Our taxi driver told us it’s very common and that the police do charge the unlicensed drivers every now and then, but they just come back. Weary travellers often just go along with them and don’t think to question them, but can end up in trouble as they could be charged anything, end up anywhere or have their belongings stolen. We certainly didn’t realise anything was amiss at first!

We were so excited that we had finally arrived in New York. Our taxi driver was very friendly and chatted with us the whole way. He was a Pakistani immigrant and told us he was living the “American Dream” and got us feeling very inspired and emotional! He pointed out all the sights to us along the way and gave us some advice on things to see and do.

We stayed in a fantastic hotel in New York called the Chelsea Pines Inn. It’s (not surprisingly) in Chelsea and is primarily marketed as a gay hotel, although everybody is welcome, and we certainly felt very welcomed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and even tried to get us tickets to an NBA game, although it ended up being an enormous hassle because we didn’t have a US credit card and eventually just gave up! The only downside to the hotel is it doesn’t have a lift, and we were on the fifth floor. Those stairs were a killer, but the exercise didn’t hurt us.

As it was quite late by the time we had checked in, we went for a quick walk around the Chelsea area and had dinner at a little Italian restaurant, then went to bed to rest up for our first full day in NYC.

Up Next: Several wonderful days in New York!

Now you've scared me about taxi's. Thanks for telling us that as I'll be extra careful from now on. I'm looking forward to hearing about your NYC adventures.

Look at all that snow. The train ride definitely sounds like the way to go from Canada down to NYC. I'll have to remember that.

hey there,

just finished reading..great info re vegas......cant wait for the rest.......

I was so excited to read this (just catching up with your latest post) as we stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn in July and thought it was a fantastic place to stay-we were on the 4th floor and at the end of a long day walking was always grateful no higher! As well as lovely owners its so close to everything and in an interesting area and loved the breakies but as we were there in summer, could sit outside and enjoy the garden.

You made the right decision to fly. I caught the train from Montreal down to NYC. The scheduled duration was 9 hours. In reality it was 11 hours. :faint:

Now you've scared me about taxi's. Thanks for telling us that as I'll be extra careful from now on. I'm looking forward to hearing about your NYC adventures.

No problem; I've been telling anyone I know going to NYC to be careful, I'm so glad I trusted my gut instinct!

Look at all that snow. The train ride definitely sounds like the way to go from Canada down to NYC. I'll have to remember that.

Hearing that we've got several days of 30 deg C + this week makes me really miss the snow, I can't believe summer is so close!

hey there,

just finished reading..great info re vegas......cant wait for the rest.......

Thank you :)

I was so excited to read this (just catching up with your latest post) as we stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn in July and thought it was a fantastic place to stay-we were on the 4th floor and at the end of a long day walking was always grateful no higher! As well as lovely owners its so close to everything and in an interesting area and loved the breakies but as we were there in summer, could sit outside and enjoy the garden.

I loved Chelsea Pines! When we ate our breakfast the tables were covered in snow, but I can imagine it would be really lovely in the summer. Did you get to meet Charlie the resident cat? We were really missing our pets so it was great to have one around again.

You made the right decision to fly. I caught the train from Montreal down to NYC. The scheduled duration was 9 hours. In reality it was 11 hours. :faint:

Ouch! That's a long time to be stuck on a train! I feel a bit better about the way things panned out now...

DAY TWENTY ONE – TWENTY FIVE

After having breakfast in our hotel on our first morning in New York we headed straight to the subway (which was a very short walk from where we were staying), which was going to be our means of transport for our stay. We purchased a 7 day ticket each which gave us unlimited trips. We found the subway easy, cheap and reliable. It was also pretty entertaining at times and we heard poetry being recited, singing and bible reading. We always felt perfectly safe though, even late at night. We also did a lot of walking in New York, which was probably a good thing considering how much good food we were eating!

We didn’t really have any plan of how to spend our time in New York and just played it by ear. I think I would be a bit more organised next time because we probably missed out on a few things, but it was nice not to follow a schedule and be completely flexible. We seemed to be drawn to Central Park and spent quite a lot of time just wandering around exploring, both during the day and in the evening. It’s so big though I feel like we only saw a small part of it.

When we looked at the subway map the World Trade Centre stop stood out to us and we decided to go there first. I think this is a definite must do for any visitor to New York. When we were there Ground Zero looked like a big construction site and we were quite surprised how little of the memorial had been finished. It’s amazing how much more was finished between then and the 10 year anniversary last September. After looking at the Ground Zero site we visited the tribute/memorial centre which was very sad and emotional. I think it would be impossible not to be moved by this. There were audio and video recordings of 911 as well as pieces of debris and a room full of photos and names of those who were lost.

IMG_1631.jpg

Ground Zero

IMG_1639.jpg

Firemen memorial

After we had finished at the tribute centre we decided to explore the surrounding area on foot. We walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, checked out Wall St and then made our way to Battery Park. We wanted to take the ferry to Liberty Island, but there was some kind of security incident while we were there and everyone was evacuated. We never found out exactly what happened but we never heard anything else about it, so it was hopefully just a false alarm.

IMG_1654.jpg

View from the Brooklyn Bridge

IMG_1661.jpg

Liberty Island from the Brooklyn Bridge

IMG_1678.jpg

Fat Wall St pigeon

We got back on the subway and made our way to Grand Central Station, followed by Central Park which we explored for a while. We jokingly called it our “Home Alone 2 tour” because we saw the ice skating rink and the hotel (the Plaza) from the movie.

IMG_1697.jpg

Grand Central Station

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

We really wanted to have a go too!

Then we checked out some of the surrounding shops, including FAO Schwarz which was fantastic. We are both big kids at heart so we love toy shops! DBF spoilt me and bought me a Steiff teddy bear.

IMG_1721.jpg

This guy would have been a little big for the suitcase unfortunately

IMG_1870.jpg

They look identical but I had to be sure I chose the right one!

We started getting pretty hungry after this but had absolutely no idea where to go to eat (a lesson for next time!) so we decided to walk to Times Square.

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Random car we saw on our way home.. think it had been there for a while!

We loved Times Square! We actually ended up spending quite a few of our evenings there (partly because we saw a Broadway Show one night, but more on that later). There was such a great vibe and so much to see, including an awesome Disney Store and a Toys R Us that was possibly even more impressive than FAO Schwarz.

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Because of the cold it was never too crowded. I’m not sure of the exact temperatures but the evenings were pretty chilly; even the NYPD were wearing balaclavas to keep warm. We had dinner at Planet Hollywood on our first night, since I had always wanted to go to one. There was some great memorabilia there and we had probably the best waiter of our whole trip, I definitely enjoyed it more than the Hard Rock Cafe. The food was good too; I think we both had burgers, but nothing amazing. After dinner we caught the subway back to our hotel and crashed for the night, pretty tired from all the walking we had done.

Next up: NYC Part Two

The next few days in New York have blended together in my memory so I’m just going to talk about what we did, rather than what order we did it in.

We bought New York City Pass which gave us entry to some of the most popular attractions with a good saving. The first thing we used was a trip to Liberty Island. Departing from Battery Park we took a ferry across the river. It was so amazing to see the statue in real life! We were lucky with the weather as well, as it was quite overcast on the trip over, but brightened up by the time we got there.

IMG_1940.jpg

Remains of a statue that used to be in the foyer of one of the twin towers, and is now at Battery Park

IMG_1949.jpg

We had lunch on the island and enjoyed the view of Manhattan, although it was a bit sad looking at the hole in the skyline where the twin towers should have been.

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

A visit to Ellis Island and the Immigration Museum was included on our ticket, but we were a bit pressed for time and had decided just to do Liberty Island. This was lucky because there was a power cut on the island and it was evacuated, so we wouldn’t have been able to stop there anyway!

The City Pass also included a trip to the top of 30 Rockefeller Plaza (also known as 30 Rock for those who watch the show). We loved the view from up here; it’s a really good way to see the Empire State building.

IMG_1980.jpg

Outside 30 Rock

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

We pretty much had the observation deck to ourselves, with no wait to go up. After we’d finished we explored some of the building itself, which includes NBC Studios. We took a studio tour which was really fun and included where Saturday Night Live is filmed. Their gift shop has some great merchandise too.

When we were browsing the NBC gift shop we were offered tickets to see the rehearsal of Jimmy Fallon’s monologue. I am a huge fan of his show so was very excited and said yes. We weren’t allowed to take photos in the studio, but Jimmy was great and chatted with the audience afterwards. Next time we go to New York I’m going to apply for tickets to a real filming of the show. They are free, but need to be booked in advance. We did go on the standby list for the day we saw the monologue, but most of the actual ticket holders turned up so we didn’t get in. It was cool to see the little bit of Jimmy we did see though! Apparently tickets to see Dr Oz are quite easy to get at short notice, but I hadn’t really seen him before so wasn’t really interested.

Our City Pass included a trip to the observation deck of the Empire State building, which we decided to use at night, since we’d had a view of the city during the day from 30 Rock. Our first attempt to go up was a bit of a washout because of the overcast weather, and they recommended we save our ticket since visibility was near zero. We had more luck the following evening, and once again didn’t have to wait or deal with crowds. I think we went up about 10pm. It was pretty cold but the view of the New York and Jersey lights was beautiful.

IMG_1905.jpg

The night of our aborted Empire State building trip, we wouldn’t have seen much!

The New York attraction DBF was most excited to see was the Museum of Natural History. He is a big fan of the Night at the Museum movies and couldn’t wait to see the museum in real life. The museum faces Central Park and we actually walked past it one evening to see if there was any action in the dark (which of course there wasn’t!) We both loved the museum; the displays are so well themed and interesting. We both agreed we could have spent a whole day there and will definitely be going back.

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

We also visited The Metropolitan Museum of Art (“The Met”). I don’t think we appreciated just how big it was, and spent ages in the Egyptian section before realising just how much else there was to see! I think you’d need a few days to really appreciate all the exhibitions, we were quite overwhelmed in our half a day visit! The Egyptian exhibition is amazing, but DBF quite enjoyed the weapons/armour display, and I loved checking out the paintings, especially the recognisable ones which were amazing to see in real life.

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

When we were in Times Square we saw all the adverts for the various Broadway shows. Whilst we hadn’t planned to see a show in advance we were very keen to get tickets to one if we could. DBF hadn’t seen Wicked before but had heard me rave about how good it was so we decided that’s what we wanted to see. There were a lot of ticket scalpers around Times Square, some were very convincing and professional looking, but we had our doubts and approached the Gershwin Theatre directly. We were lucky enough to get tickets for that night, and got great seats as well, only a few rows from the front. The man at the theatre told us that the scalpers often don’t sell genuine tickets and there is no refund if that happens, so we were glad we trusted our instincts again!

We didn’t have enough time to go back to our hotel and change before Wicked and I felt terrible that we were in jeans and hiking shoes. We were reassured that there was no dress code and it wouldn’t be a problem, and sure enough there were many others dressed casually, but I was disappointed we couldn’t dress up for the theatre. The show was amazing, I’ve seen it three times and the Broadway version is definitely the best. DBF also loved it, and he definitely isn’t a musical kind of person.

I can’t remember a lot of the meals we had in New York. We usually just ate on the run, never made any bookings in advance and I will definitely be more organised next time, particularly since there are so many amazing places to eat there, and we usually just had average meals. One place we did really enjoy was Dallas BBQ which is close to Times Square. As the name suggests its Texas BBQ style food, the portions are absolutely enormous (including the cocktails!) and it’s very cheap (and loud). They are famous for their fried chicken wings, but that sounded a bit rich for DBF and so we stuck to ribs and steaks. Everything comes piled with chips, onion rings and corn bread, and it’s all delicious!

We ate at a fancy Mexican restaurant one evening, which was very nice. We also tried cupcakes from the Magnolia Bakery which were tasty but not as good as the ones at the Monte Carol in Vegas.

I honestly don’t remember much else that we did in New York; although I’m sure I’ve missed heaps! I think I’ve covered our highlights though.. We did do a decent amount of shopping, but I was proud of my restraint and didn’t go too crazy on clothes or jewellery like I’d worried!

I felt sad to leave New York, DBF and I both loved the city. It had its faults (e.g. dirty, busy at times) but we just felt very comfortable there. Luckily we had one more night left en route to Boston after Washington DC.

Next Up: One of my surprise favourites of the trip, Washington DC

Still loving reading it, and adore the photos of central park covered in snow.
Is 30 rock the same as top of the rock?

The big kid in me needs to also ask did you go on the piano at FAO

Still loving reading it, and adore the photos of central park covered in snow.
Is 30 rock the same as top of the rock?

The big kid in me needs to also ask did you go on the piano at FAO

Thanks!

Yup! Top of the Rock is the observation deck on top of 30 Rock (I highly recommend a visit to NBC and the studio tour while you're there too)

Unfortunately the piano at FAO was roped off and they let only a few kids on there at a time (and only kids too; even though I think the adults were more excited!) It wasn't like the movie Big at all :confused3

Enjoying your NYC portion of the trip. We fell in the love with that city too. It has become a favourite forever I'm sure.

DAY TWENTY SIX – Washington DC

I initially included Washington DC on our itinerary purely because it was so close to New York. I had no idea how much I would enjoy it, I really wish we’d had more time and it’s a must do for our next trip. It was definitely one of my favourite places we visited. I was amazed how much there was to see and do, let alone that all the Smithsonian museums were completely free!

Unfortunately our train to Washington DC left very early in the morning, so the night after we saw Wicked we had an early start! We caught the subway to Penn Station (saving a taxi fare but having an interesting experience juggling our suitcases) and slept for most of the train ride. When we arrived in DC we caught a taxi to our hotel, which was on Capitol Hill.

All I wanted to do when we got to our hotel was sleep, but I knew we only had a short time in DC and wanted to make the most of it so we headed straight out to explore. It was a very short walk from our hotel to the Capitol area (Supreme Court, Library of Congress and the Capitol Building). The security was very high, but everybody we dealt with was lovely, very patient and friendly.

Our first stop was inside the Capitol Building, where the US federal government sits. We had a brief look around inside, and a lovely lady gave us passes to view inside the actual chambers and watch the government in session, but unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to do this.

IMG_1988.jpg

Capitol

IMG_1990.jpg

Supreme Court (I think!?)

After some photos outside the Capitol Building we walked the length of the National Mall. We passed the Smithsonian museums along the way, which we were planning to check out the following day. We were incredibly fortunate to get tickets up the Washington Monument on the spot. I think it’s quite hard to do this during busier times/summer so we were lucky. The view from up there is amazing! I feel even luckier now since the monument is currently shut after the recent earth quake, which caused some of the stones in the monument to shift.

IMG_2002.jpg

I was so disappointed the top of the building was cut off in this shot!

IMG_2005.jpg

Looking down the National Mall

IMG_2013.jpg

Smithsonian Castle

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

The White House

IMG_2021.jpg

Looking down towards the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery

IMG_2025.jpg

Looking back to Capitol Hill – zoomed in

IMG_2027.jpg

Looking back to Capitol Hill – zoomed out

It was amazing to see the White House in real life, we even saw Michelle Obama’s vege patch! I must admit it was a bit smaller than I was expecting, but impressive none the less.

IMG_2038.jpg

Towards the end of the national mall are several war memorials, which we spent time looking at. They are really well done and a great tribute. At the very end of the mall is Abraham Lincoln’s statue which is huge! Of course as a big Night at the Museum fan DBF was excited to see this in real life.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

By this time our legs were getting quite tired, but there was still a few hours of sunlight left so we made an on the spot decision to walk to the Arlington Cemetery (the national military cemetery) which is actually in Virginia. The cemetery was very moving and we were very glad we made the effort. We saw the grave of JFK, and there are white headstones as far as you can see, it’s huge. It was pretty close to closing when we arrived so we didn’t have long to spend there unfortunately.

IMG_2067.jpg

I felt a bit disrespectful taking photos inside, but this is the entry to the cemetery and you can see some of the white headstones on the hill

After leaving the cemetery my legs were well and truly exhausted. We were considering taking a taxi back to our hotel, but noticed a Subway stop at the cemetery and decided that would probably be a more cost effective way to travel. We had a look at the subway map and realised we were very close to the Pentagon, so decided to visit the 911 memorial there. We also noticed a shopping centre (Pentagon City) was the next stop after that, and decided that might be a good place to have dinner.

The Pentagon memorial was really nice, it’s quite complicated with individual reflecting pools for each person that died, arranged in order of their age and facing different directions depending on the position they were in when they were found. The security around the Pentagon was amazing! They have a very strict no photo policy, but you can take photos of the memorial itself.

IMG_2076-1.jpg

We enjoyed looking around Pentagon City and had some nice sandwiches for dinner. DBF also spoilt me and bought me a Guess handbag. Mainly because they are so much cheaper in the US than here, mine was at least half price what I would pay here!

Eventually we caught the subway back to our hotel and then crashed for the night; it had been a long and tiring (but enjoyable) day!

Up Next: Day Two in Washington DC

DAY TWENTY SEVEN – Washington DC

Unfortunately we were awakened at about 3am by the fire alarm in our hotel. We had no idea if it was real, or a drill. Nothing was obviously amiss (e.g. no smoke) but we threw on our clothes and got out of there pretty quickly. We took the stairs to the foyer, where most of the other guests were also gathering. There still didn’t seem to be anything obviously wrong and the staff were as confused as we were. Eventually the fire department arrived and shortly after we were allowed back in our rooms. Some of the other guests told us the same thing happened the night before as well, which would have been really annoying! A few people speculated that somebody had been smoking in their room, and others said the alarm system was faulty. We were pretty disappointed that nobody ever explained what had happened or apologised. Lucky DBF and I got back to sleep again pretty quickly.

We spent all of our second day in Washington exploring the Smithsonian museums and the National Archives. All of these are free to visit, but we purchased a map book/guide so we could find our way around and plan what we wanted to see easily.

Our first stop was the Air and Space Museum, which was just fantastic! They have some amazing exhibits including the real Wright brother’s flyer, Amelia Earhart’s plane and the lunar module. I think kids would particularly love exploring this museum; half is devoted to space and the other half to “air” (planes, flying etc.). We spent half a day here and had an early lunch in the food court afterwards.

IMG_2080-1.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

The Wright brother’s plane

IMG_2100.jpg

Amelia Earhart’s plane

IMG_2104.jpg

In the afternoon we visited the National Archives, the National Museum of Natural History (which was great, but not quite as good as the New York one) and saw the original Bill of Rights, Constitution and Declaration of Independence which are displayed in the beautiful Rotunda. I think this was probably more interesting for US visitors, but we still had a very educational visit.

IMG_2108.jpg

Museum of Natural History

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

The beautiful Hope Diamond

Our last stop of the day was the museum of American history. Unfortunately we didn’t have much time here, so we just used our guide book to pick out our “must do” exhibits. These included; Julia Child’s kitchen, the real ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz, the gallery of first ladies dresses, the real Kermit the Frog and the original “star spangled banner” flag. They also have a great gift shop here, with lots of pop culture memorabilia. We stayed until they kicked us out at closing.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

Michelle Obama’s inauguration dress

IMG_2131.jpg

A very dark Kermit

IMG_2130.jpg

Ruby slippers (a bit dark as well sorry!)

For our last evening in Washington we decided to order Chinese take-out to our hotel and have a quiet night in. Our hotel recommended a restaurant, and they delivered to our door. The food was delicious and it was nice to just chill out for a change.

Up Next: One last night in New York then onto Boston

Thanks to everybody who is still sticking with me and sorry it's been so long between updates!

We've been very busy planning our WDW wedding and US honeymoon, but I am definitely eager to finish this TR off and I only have a few days to go now (including my very favourite; Disneyland!) I'm super glad we have another trip to look forward to or I think finishing this TR would be very depressing.. it's definitely a great way to relive a holiday!

Yet another great update, and to be honest the first time I have been excited about having a few days in Washington.
I am looking forward to your reports on Boston and Disney.

How are the wedding plans coming along? I think you need to start a different thread with all your plans

Yet another great update, and to be honest the first time I have been excited about having a few days in Washington.
I am looking forward to your reports on Boston and Disney.

How are the wedding plans coming along? I think you need to start a different thread with all your plans

Thank you!! (I think you are my last reader :lmao: but I am determined to get this finished one way or another!) I really hope you enjoy DC as much as we did, I wasn't excited in advance either but had a great time there!

The wedding plans are really starting to get moving now which is exciting. I'm going to start a planning journal as soon as this TR is finished (otherwise I fear this one may never get finished!)

DAY TWENTY EIGHT & TWENTY NINE: Boston via New York

Today we had a much needed sleep in before catching a train back to New York where we spend the day and one more night before travelling on to Boston.

We decided to stay at a different hotel this time so that we wouldn’t have to travel to and from the train station (Penn Station) and chose Hotel Pennsylvania which is directly opposite Penn Station (and also Madison Square Garden). The website for the hotel is lovely, it’s a historic hotel with a great history and we were very excited to stay there. We even upgraded to a “club penn” room which gave us a room on a higher floor and access to the club lounge.

I learnt an extremely valuable lesson that I will never forget from this experience; NEVER EVER book a hotel without checking Tripadvisor first! I made this mistake earlier on in our trip at Sedona, although I didn’t really have a choice then as we booked the hotel there at the last minute. Hotel Penn we had booked from home, so I really didn’t have an excuse. I think I was just won over by the location and the website (and the lobby is also very deceptive, it wasn’t until we left the ground floor that the nightmare began)

This is the hotel from HELL! Words just can’t explain how bad it was. The room was absolutely filthy – rust and hair in the bathroom, filthy carpet, dirty and torn furniture, grubby walls and doors. Luckily the bed itself was clean and there was no sign of bed bugs (which is an epidemic in New York). We asked to see another room in case it was a one off, but the second room we looked at was even worse. I just could not believe we paid $280 for this room!

We decided that since it was only one night, the bed itself was okay, as we could walk to the train station early the next morning, and that we had already paid for the room that we would just suck it up and stay but if we had to spend a minute longer in there I would definitely have found another place. I don’t regret doing this because I think the stress of having to move, trying to get our money back etc. would really have ruined the whole day for me and I really wanted to just enjoy my last day in NYC. In the end we avoided the hotel like the plague and used it purely to sleep in.

I took some photos of our room and send written complaints to the hotel both while we were there, and once we arrived home. I never heard anything back. I’ve since deleted the photos as I’m trying to block the experience from my memory, but if anyone is interested, or thinks I’m exaggerating, check out their reviews on tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...sylvania_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

Once we had dropped off our luggage and I recovered from my mini break down we stopped for coffee and red velvet cake to revive our spirits. I can’t really remember exactly how we spent the afternoon, but it was very pleasant and relaxing and involved revisiting our favourite New York sights. We definitely went to Central Park and did a bit of shopping, then went back to Times Square followed by Dallas BBQ for dinner to enjoy their delicious ribs one last time.

We woke up very early the next morning to catch a train to Boston. I was very excited to get out of Hotel Penn and for once didn’t mind the early wake-up (although I have to admit the continental breakfast which was included with our stay was acceptable)

Unfortunately I have to admit neither of us really enjoyed our time in Boston. I think this was purely due to the weather as it was absolutely freezing. In fact writing this now we didn’t really even get to do or see much in Boston at all and it was probably a bit of a wasted trip! It was a very similar experience to Montreal, and I think we would enjoy both cities much more in warmer weather. Our taxi driver from the train station told us that they were expecting one of the coldest nights on record the day we arrived, I don’t know if that eventuated, but it certainly felt like it!

The other problem was that a lot of our time in Boston was wasted looking for another suitcase, which we needed to transport our luggage back to the west coast. Our shopping on the east coast had made us substantially heavier than when we’d flown to Montreal. We had managed on the trains because we handled our own luggage, but we knew that the suitcases would be overweight for a flight. Boston has a lot of beautiful shops, but not many selling cheap luggage (which was all we were after as we already had our lovely big suitcases from home). Eventually we found what we were looking for in Macy’s, but we wasted a lot of time trying to buy the suitcase that would have been better spent sightseeing.

After we checked in at our hotel we set out on foot. There was a great Borders bookshop in the city centre (which has now unfortunately closed) and we got some great discounts here. We had some tasty hot sandwiches for lunch nearby. After that we explored some more; including Boston Common, the frog pond (which was an ice skating rink) and Cheers. I had big plans to walk the Freedom Trail but our hunt for luggage meant we spent most of the rest of the afternoon shopping instead. The cold was increasingly difficult to tolerate as night approached and we were driven back to the warmth of our hotel pretty early. We barely have any photos from Boston (possibly both due to being a bit sick of the camera by the end of our trip and also due to not having the greatest time) but here are a few:

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

Cheers

Our absolute favourite thing about Boston was our hotel, The Langham. It was the polar opposite of Hotel Penn and we just loved it.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

Our room was gorgeous with a super comfortable bed; there was a really nice fitness centre and a great restaurant which we had dinner at, due to being too scared of the cold to venture elsewhere. This dinner was one of the rare chances we got to dress up and wear the more formal clothes we’d bought with us too. The restaurant had the most amazing chandelier and a really great atmosphere, more like a lounge really, very dimly lit with couches and a big bar. Our meal was delicious and we were also very excited to make friends over dinner!

A couple sitting nearby us overheard DBF telling our waiter he had never drunk Budweiser before, and were completely shocked by this and just had to ask us about it. Then they realised we were Australian and one of them had done a work exchange program here a few years ago, and in Perth too. So we had a great time chatting with them and exchanged contact details. They live in Charleston, which we are hoping to visit on our next trip, so we might even catch up with them again then.

I’d had tentative plans to possibly head out to Harvard the next morning, but we were feeling very lazy and enjoyed a luxurious sleep in, and using the facilities in the hotel some more, instead. We headed straight to the airport after checking out as we had an afternoon flight from Boston back to LA.

Our flight was uneventful and we arrived at LAX in the evening, picked up our rental car and then drove to our hotel in Anaheim, the Candy Cane Inn. This is a lovely hotel and was a great base for Disney Land.

At this stage I had no idea how much we were going to enjoy Disney Land and we were still hoping we’d made the right decision to even go there in the first place and not return to Vegas instead. Little did we realise our lives were literally about to change; who would have known we’d end up planning a Disney wedding only a year later?!

Next Up: Our perfect day at The Happiest Place on Earth (and the last full day of our trip!)

Sorry I've been MIA....life's just been busy.

Just catching up on your updates (although I'm pretty sure I lurked with your NYC and Washington posts).

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Boston. DH has been there in winter and he was adamant about not going back there in winter again; so we saw it in summer and it was rather enjoyable for us. But then, we also had friends there....so it was always going to be a pleasant experience either way.

And YUCK to Hotel Pennsylvania.

Looking forward to the DLR posts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter