Austrian Tour

We won't be back until Sept 5th, hope that isn't too late for you! I will certainly try to at least get you some pertinent info. I know I certainly appreciated the help we had last year on the London/Paris trip. I am sooooo looking forward to this!!

We won't be back until Sept 5th, hope that isn't too late for you! I will certainly try to at least get you some pertinent info. I know I certainly appreciated the help we had last year on the London/Paris trip. I am sooooo looking forward to this!!

Any information would be appreciated! We are leaving on the Sept 20 trip!

Hi Padalyn. I see that you are staying in Barcelona for a few days this summer! Lucky you! It is fabulous! I am sure that you have some sort of itinerary, but let me add my 2 cents worth. Definitely see/tour the Gaudi buildings. You don't need a formal 'tour' for this (except at the buildings themselves). Sagrada Familia (took us several hours), Casa Batlo and La Perdrera are just opposite each other and interior tours are available. You can take public transportation to Parc Guell and walk around there too. Just to walk on the Ramblas is really fun. (just hang on to your wallet - pickpocketing is an art form there!)
If the ABD tour is anything like last years, you will need a jacket/windbreaker (they provide an umbrella), easy walking shoes, casual clothing, and one sort of dressy outfit. The dressy thing is NOT formal or really fancy, just a dress/pants suit for the final dinner and the one dressy evening we had at 'Mary Poppins.' I am assuming that the Austrian trip will be similar and am packing accordingly.
Will the itinerary be different for the Adult only tour? I know we had wanted to see the Lipizzaner stallions from the Spanish Riding School but they will have just returned from their 'summer break' and so no performances are scheduled at that time. We are still going to try to get tickets for the stable tour and the morning exercise while we are in Vienna. Maybe they have a performance scheduled during your tour, if it is something you would be interested in doing.
I will certainly let you know the details of our tour when we return.

We are booked for the Imperial cities June 21-28. We are travelling with a 6 year old and 14 (will turn 15 on the trip). Our 17 yr old will be on 3 week Europe tour with school in London, France, etc.. We got in on the "kids travel for Free" promo - but with airfare it still isn't a cheap venture :) We can't wait!!! I was looking to book a cruise when I saw the promo.

We have never travelled with ABD, but have done a cruise every year since 2000.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I am expecting Disney to keep the kids entertained. They have been to Europe before, but not with a tour group. I told them it would be much more exciting than when we just travel on our own - not that we are boring - but me and Frommers are the tour guides :)

We are booked for the Imperial cities June 21-28. We are travelling with a 6 year old and 14 (will turn 15 on the trip). Our 17 yr old will be on 3 week Europe tour with school in London, France, etc.. We got in on the "kids travel for Free" promo - but with airfare it still isn't a cheap venture :) We can't wait!!! I was looking to book a cruise when I saw the promo.

We have never travelled with ABD, but have done a cruise every year since 2000.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I am expecting Disney to keep the kids entertained. They have been to Europe before, but not with a tour group. I told them it would be much more exciting than when we just travel on our own - not that we are boring - but me and Frommers are the tour guides :)

So, I'll see you there! We arrive on the 20th -- we added on a night on each end. I learned on Viva Italia that I needed more time when it was over!

I know we'll have at least one more child on this trip -- I think she's 5 years old. There's also me, my husband, our three boys (19, 21, 24), and an older brother and sister who traveled with us to Italy last year and wanted to come with us again. They're really sweet people!

My boys are traveling to London/Paris/Amsterdam/Munich before arriving in Vienna on the 20th. I'm pricing railpasses now -- ouch! I haven't even started looking at the hotels/hostels, and you know how crazy the airfare is! It'll be worth it though -- having someone else plan my whole trip is a luxury, since it's my profession and I do it 24/7 for everyone else!

And yes, AbD will keep the kids entertained! My boys will help, too. :)

Thank you so much for your reply. We are very excited. I booked this very quickly without thinking it through. Had I planned to take this trip with a little more thought - we definitely would have extended to get our money out of the airfare :) We are checking on extending our stay, because we have family in Germany - and would love to see them since we will be a lot closer than if we were in Atlanta. The airfare change is not looking good - but we shall see.

Our 6 year old is a girl and our 15 yr old is a boy - so even though your boys are older he is glad to hear there is someone in the vicinity of his age :) and not a lot of "old" people like me.

We look forward to meeting everyone. If you think of anything else we might need to pack or know - please let me know. I welcome all the help I can get :)

GA Friend, did you get your box of goodies yet? I just received mine and also got a phone call from a happy client/friend who's on the trip with us who got hers as well!

I see that we're at the Radisson SAS Alcron Hotel rather than the Marriott Prague. I was disappointed until I started reading the reviews -- sounds lovely! The only problem is the Irish bar three doors down -- I may never see my sons! LOL!

Dotti

GA Friend, did you get your box of goodies yet? I just received mine and also got a phone call from a happy client/friend who's on the trip with us who got hers as well!

I see that we're at the Radisson SAS Alcron Hotel rather than the Marriott Prague. I was disappointed until I started reading the reviews -- sounds lovely! The only problem is the Irish bar three doors down -- I may never see my sons! LOL!

Dotti

Oops... I lied. ;-) There's a misprint in the new booklets. At the beginning of the "Summary of Adventure" booklet, it lists the Radisson. However, in the rest of the booklet it correctly states that we're at the Prague Marriott. AbD just confirmed that we'd be at the Marriott. No complaints from me!

Hi Dotti -

We have not received anything yet. Everything goes to our travel agent - so I am going to check with her today to see if she has received anything. Thank you for letting me know. I am very anxious to see everything. Next time I need to see if the stuff can come straight to me :)

We have extended our trip until Sunday. We will be flying to Dortmund Thurday morning to visit friends in Germany.

Can't wait!!

Jonl

Hi Dotti -

We have not received anything yet. Everything goes to our travel agent - so I am going to check with her today to see if she has received anything. Thank you for letting me know. I am very anxious to see everything. Next time I need to see if the stuff can come straight to me :)

We have extended our trip until Sunday. We will be flying to Dortmund Thurday morning to visit friends in Germany.

Can't wait!!

Jonl

You can have it all sent to you if your travel agent agrees. I started out having my clients' backpacks and documents come to me, but it didn't make much sense. For example, my family's came in three huge boxes -- if this was for a client, I'd be spending a fortune sending it back out! I'd rather send them a nice gift with that money. :) I have all the future documents going straight to the clients. I hope Disney doesn't change that policy, because that's not something we can do with land and sea packages.

I added one day before and one day after, but finally got my sons "almost" booked for their London/Paris/Amsterdam trip. I found them a great little B&B in Amsterdam on a houseboat, but they only take two people. I was disappointed! I know this isn't an AbD question, but if anyone has good recommendations for Amsterdam, please PM me! I think I've narrowed it down to three, but need to see what's available at this late date.

Dotti

You can have it all sent to you if your travel agent agrees. I started out having my clients' backpacks and documents come to me, but it didn't make much sense. For example, my family's came in three huge boxes -- if this was for a client, I'd be spending a fortune sending it back out! I'd rather send them a nice gift with that money. :) I have all the future documents going straight to the clients. I hope Disney doesn't change that policy, because that's not something we can do with land and sea packages.

I added one day before and one day after, but finally got my sons "almost" booked for their London/Paris/Amsterdam trip. I found them a great little B&B in Amsterdam on a houseboat, but they only take two people. I was disappointed! I know this isn't an AbD question, but if anyone has good recommendations for Amsterdam, please PM me! I think I've narrowed it down to three, but need to see what's available at this late date.

Dotti

Just thought I would add my experience. I too booked with a TA, however, my box of goodies came to me directly, to my TAs surprise. The only shock I got was having to pay $41 Cdn duty. I spoke to ABD about this and they said I would be reimbursed, they just aren't sure how at this point. Just wanted to send this out as a warning to other Canadians travelling ABD!

Mary Jane ... Trip is getting closer now! Less than 4 weeks!

Hi Dotti -

We got our backpacks - they said they were held up to fix the "typo" on the hotel in the booklets :) I just got back in town and am frantically trying to insure we have everything. I know it said that "dressy" clothes are not needed. Since you have been on tours before - can you give me direction on dress? All blue jeans, khakis, are short acceptable, etc...

Thanks for your help. How are you boys doing? They are already in Europe, aren't they?

Jonl

I was on Paris/London last year and am going on Imperial Cities in August. Last years trip saw most people dressed in shorts/capris, etc, during the days. very casual!
On the last night (and the Mary Poppins Play/dinner) most women wore skirts/dresses and men wore collared shirts. Don't know if i ever saw a sport coat anywhere.

Hi everyone!

I just returned from a week in Vienna and I did not know about this Adventures by Disney bit. I found out about it because I stayed at the hotel that Disney uses - Vienna Marriott - great hotel and location! I kept seeing these signs that said "Welcome Disney by Adventure" so I had to check it out and this thread on the DIS boards. I spoke with a couple of people on the tour and they seemed to be having a great time. I think you are all in for a real treat. Don't miss Cafe Demel in Vienna if you get a chance. Great food and pastries! By the way, the temp. is getting quite warm in Vienna. I took a couple of sweaters but didn't really need them. As for Prague or Salzburg, I can't help you there.

Salzburg - it's been a few years since I've been there. Great town. As for souvenirs, there are two stores that carry the original Mozart balls (chocolates). I can't remember the stores but I'm sure your guide can tell you. You can find Mozart chocolates all throughout Austria but the originals - only in Salzburg - have a superior flavor. Funny how I can remember things like that.

Hope you all have a great time in Austria. Be sure to report back as I may be interested in taking a trip with AbD.

Hi Dotti -

We got our backpacks - they said they were held up to fix the "typo" on the hotel in the booklets :) I just got back in town and am frantically trying to insure we have everything. I know it said that "dressy" clothes are not needed. Since you have been on tours before - can you give me direction on dress? All blue jeans, khakis, are short acceptable, etc...

Thanks for your help. How are you boys doing? They are already in Europe, aren't they?

Jonl

Last year's trip was Viva Italia, and it was very casual. Most people wore jeans or khakis. For the welcome dinner and the final dinner, the dressiest anyone got (and I just went back and looked at the photos!) was polo shirts for the men and nice capris and tops for the women. At the Vatican, we only had to worry about shoulders being covered; otherwise, everyone pretty much just dressed for comfort.

And yes, the boys are in Europe, thanks for remembering! They spent one night in London, took the Eurostar to Paris, and are now staying with cousins who they never met until a few days ago. :) They sound like they're having a great time. Saturday is Amsterdam and Tuesday night they board the train for Vienna. (We're coming in a day before the tour.)

The boys only have jeans and shorts with them. And they'll be in them for 10 days before you meet them. You may want to stand downwind. ;-)

Funny Paris story for anyone who loves Disney's Hunchback... The boys went to Notre Dame yesterday. Inside, there is a certain way to proceed around the altar. My middle son ("because of who I am") went the wrong way. He said he wanted to start singing, "God Help the Outcasts," because it reminded him of Esmeralda, walking in the opposite direction of everyone else during that scene. Cracked me up!

Dotti

Hi everyone!

I just returned from a week in Vienna and I did not know about this Adventures by Disney bit. I found out about it because I stayed at the hotel that Disney uses - Vienna Marriott - great hotel and location! I.

Strange question, but would you happen to know if the hotel has laundry facilities? My sons will be joining us after 10 days of traveling on their own, and I'd sure like to be able to direct them to a washing machine. :)

Dotti

Why not email the hotel and ask? If they don't have a self service laundry, I am sure they 'do' laundry (at a high price). We had to have the hotel do some things for us in London - but no alternative! (Plus no time even if they did have a self serve, which they didn't)

Hi Padalyn. I see that you are staying in Barcelona for a few days this summer! Lucky you! It is fabulous! I am sure that you have some sort of itinerary, but let me add my 2 cents worth. Definitely see/tour the Gaudi buildings. You don't need a formal 'tour' for this (except at the buildings themselves). Sagrada Familia (took us several hours), Casa Batlo and La Perdrera are just opposite each other and interior tours are available. You can take public transportation to Parc Guell and walk around there too. Just to walk on the Ramblas is really fun. (just hang on to your wallet - pickpocketing is an art form there!)
If the ABD tour is anything like last years, you will need a jacket/windbreaker (they provide an umbrella), easy walking shoes, casual clothing, and one sort of dressy outfit. The dressy thing is NOT formal or really fancy, just a dress/pants suit for the final dinner and the one dressy evening we had at 'Mary Poppins.' I am assuming that the Austrian trip will be similar and am packing accordingly.
Will the itinerary be different for the Adult only tour? I know we had wanted to see the Lipizzaner stallions from the Spanish Riding School but they will have just returned from their 'summer break' and so no performances are scheduled at that time. We are still going to try to get tickets for the stable tour and the morning exercise while we are in Vienna. Maybe they have a performance scheduled during your tour, if it is something you would be interested in doing.
I will certainly let you know the details of our tour when we return.

WOW - I did see the Gaudi houses....oh my...I am in love with Casa Batllo. I was impressed with Casa Mila (la Perdeda??). I was not overly wowed by Sagrada Familia. I just didn't like the structure - the thoughts and the planing are amazing. I just thought it over the top! Thanks for the ideas - I didn't get back to this thread in time to read them, but managed to get most of what you mentioned done. I took the cabel car to the castle on the top of the mountain - I reccommend that to anyone reading! awesome vista views fo the city and ports.

Hi everyone!

I just returned from a week in Vienna and I did not know about this Adventures by Disney bit. I found out about it because I stayed at the hotel that Disney uses - Vienna Marriott - great hotel and location! I kept seeing these signs that said "Welcome Disney by Adventure" so I had to check it out and this thread on the DIS boards. I spoke with a couple of people on the tour and they seemed to be having a great time. I think you are all in for a real treat. Don't miss Cafe Demel in Vienna if you get a chance. Great food and pastries! By the way, the temp. is getting quite warm in Vienna. I took a couple of sweaters but didn't really need them. As for Prague or Salzburg, I can't help you there.

Salzburg - it's been a few years since I've been there. Great town. As for souvenirs, there are two stores that carry the original Mozart balls (chocolates). I can't remember the stores but I'm sure your guide can tell you. You can find Mozart chocolates all throughout Austria but the originals - only in Salzburg - have a superior flavor. Funny how I can remember things like that.

Hope you all have a great time in Austria. Be sure to report back as I may be interested in taking a trip with AbD.

thanks for the input - we are starting to plan for that trip - we have so much travel planned this year it will take a month to just sort the pictures!.

Keep the posts coming! I am so looking forward to seeing these amazing cities!

I was on Paris/London last year and am going on Imperial Cities in August. Last years trip saw most people dressed in shorts/capris, etc, during the days. very casual!
On the last night (and the Mary Poppins Play/dinner) most women wore skirts/dresses and men wore collared shirts. Don't know if i ever saw a sport coat anywhere.

Thank you. My son is already balking on the long pants and collared shirt every night for dinner - but he will survive. Ahhh - the joys of a teenage boy! Leaving in two days - can't wait to report back.

Never saw a teen dressed up on our tour. Polo shirts and khaki's was about it. Don't worry about the fashions - it really is a non issue with the ABD tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter