Avatar experience coming to Disneyland

Star Wars was a phenomon after the first movie. It developed and held onto its following based on that one movie. It only took one movie for Star Wars to develop its passionate devoted fanbase. Avatar had its moment, and then that was it, until Disney decided to do Avatarland instead of Beastly Kingdom.
And how does that affect the fact that there is in fact a fanbase now?
Yes, there's a fanbase, but not nearly like for Star Wars or the MCU. Avatar simply doesn't have the cultural impact of those other franchises. That's not an insult to Avatar fans; there are many films that are well done and very popular, but few can approach the stunning popularity of SW, MCU, or HP and thus the hordes of visitors those can attract without effort.

Yes, there's a fanbase, but not nearly like for Star Wars or the MCU. Avatar simply doesn't have the cultural impact of those other franchises. That's not an insult to Avatar fans; there are many films that are well done and very popular, but few can approach the stunning popularity of SW, MCU, or HP and thus the hordes of visitors those can attract without effort.
I would love to see that data and statistics.

Well, right - was anyone saying it was? That doesn't however mean that Avatar has a small or insignificatn fanbase. It has had some cultural impact and will continue to grow.

Just give me flight of passage... Thats what i really need at Disneyland.

Perhaps the imagineers are thinking to try to put flight of passage where the old boats were in Fantasyland/Tomorrowland area? 4 months ago, there was an imagineer who posted something about doing recon and he posted a picture of the area of the boat docking area that has table and chairs. Across from the Matterhorn. Maybe this area is going to get an Avatar make over.

Perhaps the imagineers are thinking to try to put flight of passage where the old boats were in Fantasyland/Tomorrowland area? 4 months ago, there was an imagineer who posted something about doing recon and he posted a picture of the area of the boat docking area that has table and chairs. Across from the Matterhorn. Maybe this area is going to get an Avatar make over.
I've heard great things about Flight of Passage but I'm not holding my breath about it coming to Disneyland. Well, we'll see!

No. That spot is tiny. They were likely examining the old Peoplemover track. They are trying to figure out how to/if they can remove it.

I think the thing about Avatar is you don't have to be a big movie fan to appreciate how beautiful Pandora is and want to 'step inside' that world. You could easily enjoy Pandora at WDW without caring about the movies. My son is not a big fan of the movies (he fell asleep during the new one and I was like come on now grandpa 😆) but he loves that area. It's just so beautifully themed. When we first saw it I was just blown away... then at night? I never wanted to leave. I don't know much about the walk through experience but could have a similar impact if it offers immersive elements with what the planet looks like.

I think the thing about Avatar is you don't have to be a big movie fan to appreciate how beautiful Pandora is and want to 'step inside' that world. You could easily enjoy Pandora at WDW without caring about the movies. My son is not a big fan of the movies (he fell asleep during the new one and I was like come on now grandpa 😆) but he loves that area. It's just so beautifully themed. When we first saw it I was just blown away... then at night? I never wanted to leave. I don't know much about the walk through experience but could have a similar impact if it offers immersive elements with what the planet looks like.

I could see that. I haven't been to WDW since long before Pandora, but I get what you're saying. It's like Radiator Springs at DCA. I know people who haven't even seen a single Cars movie, but will tell you that's the best place in the park to go to. Theming is A+++ and the rides are great.

If an Avatar attraction is really done, I'll probably visit it at least once (despite not being a big fan of the movies), just for the visuals and the experience. What they WON'T sucker me with is buying merch. Leave that to the real fans.

A big part of what makes Avatar in the parks great is the land itself, which is why I hope they change their mind on this.

Gonna go ahead and disagree. I was so bored by Avatar that I never finished watching it. The world looks like a video game to me. Super fake. I don't like it. I was not impressed by Pandora at WDW, and pretty much rode FOP once and have no desire to do so again. It was meh, to me.

That's not to take away from anyone who enjoys it, but it was the experience of my whole traveling party at the time. I just can't get on board with anything related to this movie at the Disney parks.

My bad, I read as Shanghai.
Disney has put Avatar experiences in both Shanghai and Singapore.

Shanghai: https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/avatar-explore-pandora/

Singapore: https://singaporefoodie.com/avatar-...ingapore-at-gardens-by-the-bays-cloud-forest/

Both look to be "multi-sensory, immersive, walk-through experiences" that could go in-park (as in Shanghai) or outside (as in Singapore). And I think something like this is *far* more likely than building Pandora or even Flight of Passage in Anaheim.

Gonna go ahead and disagree. I was so bored by Avatar that I never finished watching it. The world looks like a video game to me. Super fake. I don't like it. I was not impressed by Pandora at WDW, and pretty much rode FOP once and have no desire to do so again. It was meh, to me.

That's not to take away from anyone who enjoys it, but it was the experience of my whole traveling party at the time. I just can't get on board with anything related to this movie at the Disney parks.
Your party might not enjoy it, but others do. And while I agree that the choice to add Pandora to AK is a weird one I can also see how many people like it and how beautiful it is.

Disney has put Avatar experiences in both Shanghai and Singapore.

Shanghai: https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/avatar-explore-pandora/

Singapore: https://singaporefoodie.com/avatar-...ingapore-at-gardens-by-the-bays-cloud-forest/

Both look to be "multi-sensory, immersive, walk-through experiences" that could go in-park (as in Shanghai) or outside (as in Singapore). And I think something like this is *far* more likely than building Pandora or even Flight of Passage in Anaheim.
100% Agree, if they were intending to build something big they would have said so. "Land" or "Attraction", not 'Experience".

I'm putting my bet on this being a super tiny and inconsequential thing. Why would they replicate one of WDW unique lands? It makes no sense and it's super silly to act like doomsday is upon DLR because of it.

Would make me super happy as a west coaster ❤️

So not something throw away. This has to be part of the Disneyland Tomorrow plan. There's no room for anything Pandora like at DLR or CA. I mean maybe you can remove Autopia and the Submarines but you're also rerouting the Monorail which isn't cheap.

Yeah, my initial thought was this could be something as simple as a limited time walk-through experience they throw into the old ESPN building or Innoventions building.

But the language that it will be “as amazing”as WDW really has me thrown. There’s no way one could call it “as amazing“ unless it’s a land with at least one attraction, right? I mean, there’s hyperbole, and then there’s just plain nonsense.

Very interesting to see what it is.

Maybe they finally got a new plot of land? I can't really picture where they could add it thought. If they do indeed make something big I'm gonna be pleasantly surprised and shocked.

So not something throw away. This has to be part of the Disneyland Tomorrow plan. There's no room for anything Pandora like at DLR or CA. I mean maybe you can remove Autopia and the Submarines but you're also rerouting the Monorail which isn't cheap.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me. That article is taking what was said kind of out of context.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me. That article is taking what was said kind of out of context.
Indeed. It's an article on a clickbait site based on a breathless puff piece from Disney's fan-club site. Caveat lector.

The not-yet-described "experience" may indeed be impressive, but there's no room for anything like WDW's Pandora area at DLR, and Iger is definitely not giving out any details about the Disneyland Forward expansion at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter