Avatar experience coming to Disneyland

Indeed. It's an article on a clickbait site based on a breathless puff piece from Disney's fan-club site. Caveat lector.

The not-yet-described "experience" may indeed be impressive, but there's no room for anything like WDW's Pandora area at DLR, and Iger is definitely not giving out any details about the Disneyland Forward expansion at this point.

I mean, Disneyland Forward isn't even a real thing yet. It's a political negotiation tool more than anything else. Any realization of that blue sky planning is at least 10 years away from even being announced, IMO. It's a long game zoning strategy.

I mean, Disneyland Forward isn't even a real thing yet. It's a political negotiation tool more than anything else. Any realization of that blue sky planning is at least 10 years away from even being announced, IMO. It's a long game zoning strategy.
One can hope and dream! DCA used to be a parking lot after all too.

One thing Anaheim may have learned with covid - where the parks go - so does Anaheim.

One can hope and dream! DCA used to be a parking lot after all too.

One thing Anaheim may have learned with covid - where the parks go - so does Anaheim.

Oh, I fully agree. I just keep seeing people saying this Avatar "thing" will be part of DL Forward like that is a real thing that Disney is actively working on. It's not. Yet.

Oh, I fully agree. I just keep seeing people saying this Avatar "thing" will be part of DL Forward like that is a real thing that Disney is actively working on. It's not. Yet.
That you know of 😁 Speculating is fun and all but none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

That you know of 😁 Speculating is fun and all but none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

I know a few people who live in the neighborhood behind Disneyland. They were invited by Disney to be part of some panel for the community. They were told, pretty much, "this is just ONE of the types of development Disney is considering for the far future, 20 to 30 years down the road."

What Disney WANTS to do, they cannot yet, by law. The zoning does not currently support the Disneyland Forward project. It takes a long time to change zoning laws, and that is IF the city/residents vote to approve what they want to do.

Disney is in Phase 1: Schmooze the local residents and politicians with fancy artwork and promises that may never materialize.

I know a few people who live in the neighborhood behind Disneyland. They were invited by Disney to be part of some panel for the community. They were told, pretty much, "this is just ONE of the types of development Disney is considering for the far future, 20 to 30 years down the road."

What Disney WANTS to do, they cannot yet, by law. The zoning does not currently support the Disneyland Forward project. It takes a long time to change zoning laws, and that is IF the city/residents vote to approve what they want to do.

Disney is in Phase 1: Schmooze the local residents and politicians with fancy artwork and promises that may never materialize.
Any suggestions of MKs for the neighborhood and a private entrance? Golden Oak Lite :)

Any suggestions of MKs for the neighborhood and a private entrance? Golden Oak Lite :)

My guess is a lot of the residents already have MKs. One family I know does and they WALK to the parks almost every evening. Another one had them before the pandemic but hate the reservation system so just visit DtD these days. But they are an older empty nest couple.

Yep, they're requesting changes to the Anaheim general plan as well as to two specific plans. Not a speedy process—if it happens at all.

They even say that in the FAQs on their DisneylandForward website: "We are not announcing any future projects at this time. Currently, we are focused on meeting with the community to explain DisneylandForward and working with the City of Anaheim to review and ultimately approve the project."

It's very, very early days yet.

Whatever the Avatar thing is, it seems unlikely to be part of DL Forward. As has been mentioned, that’s just a concept for what the future could hold. Way too theoretical for anything that’s going to appear in the next few years.

Here’s a thought: Pixie Hollow and Buzz become a mini Pandora and Avatar attraction (possibly including Galactic Grill as well). The Tomorrowland-facing side can lean a little more into the science-fiction look, while the Fantasyland side can lean more into the fantastical nature look, since Avatar will easily lend itself to both of those aesthetics.

This is, of course, assuming that this project is of any substance beyond something similar to the already existing walk-through experience, which seems unlikely.

Redwood Creek trail would be the most logical easy conversion to Avatar experience. It's already semi changed during OogieBoogie times.

Tomorrowland needs a whole revamp in concept theming. Can it encompass Avatar? Sure; but doubt they will recreate AK level Pandora with hold overs of Nemo and Space and buzz there. Just too much work to retheme to single subject like Avatar.

They could replace Autopia and the Submarines with two Pandora rides. Or even add the old peoplemover track somehow. Of course it would be tricky to work around the monorail but could be done.

They could replace Autopia and the Submarines with two Pandora rides. Or even add the old peoplemover track somehow. Of course it would be tricky to work around the monorail but could be done.
They just redid Nemo. No way they will blow that up so soon. Autos way overdue for an EV makeover and ripe for a retheme. people mover damaged and no gumption to revise/remove --plus only real shade for churros cart ;)

They just redid Nemo. No way they will blow that up so soon. Autos way overdue for an EV makeover and ripe for a retheme. people mover damaged and no gumption to revise/remove --plus only real shade for churros cart ;)
Yes, but it could be done. If they took out the loops through Tomorrowland that the monorail makes they could put a fairly big show building in that corner of the park. Then change Autopia into a system like Journey to Center of the Earth at DisneySea only through Pandora. And change the Submarine into a voyage through Pandora’s ocean.

I would not take the Autopia Sub area for a Avatar area. Space is valuable and matches better for a Tomorrowland and Fantasyland expansion.
Best to wait to use for the Forward expansion
Hollywood area in California Adventure (a name change would be needed for the park, Maybe Disney Adventure?)

To save budget replace Star Tous or Launch Bay with new simulator ride.

Why do go-carts and cartoon fish belong and not Avatar?

Autopia allows kids to drive now. They are playing pretend for when they can drive in the FUTURE. The subs, I have no explanation for, although when they were built, maybe they thought public sub tours would be a "thing" in the future.

Autopia allows kids to drive now. They are playing pretend for when they can drive in the FUTURE. The subs, I have no explanation for, although when they were built, maybe they thought public sub tours would be a "thing" in the future.
Given that the subs were originally themed to Jules Verne, weren't they part of that whole Vernian futuristic vibe of Tomorrowland?

Besides, they adjoin not only Tomorrowland but also Fantasyland, so Nemo goes fine with that.

Given that the subs were originally themed to Jules Verne, weren't they part of that whole Vernian futuristic vibe of Tomorrowland?

Besides, they adjoin not only Tomorrowland but also Fantasyland, so Nemo goes fine with that.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland aspect also. I always thought the subs sort of straddled both lands.

Re-do the subs into 'Way of Water'? Nah, not gonna happen.

I still think it'll be some sort of walk thru exhibit type thingy in either CoP or Magic Eye.

Or it may slowly fade away into the sunset like many other announcements that never quite seem to materialize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter