avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018 (comments welcome)

Congratulations, way to smash your goal! All that hill training paid off!
Thank you! I was definitely glad I did all the hill work.
Awesome job! Wow that's a lot of hills 😮
Thanks! And honestly, I'm still at kind of the entry-level of hill training for a lot of trail races. Most have a lot more.
Congratulations! Don't you just love when a race goes well?
Thanks! And YES!
Wowowow! Great job!
Thank you!
Congrats on a well-run race!🎉
Thanks so much!
Congrats on a great race!
Many thanks.
Great job. I know you prefer that weather but definitely cold for me. Glad it worked out for you and sounds like you had a terrific race. How is the knee holding up?
Thanks! This was a tad cold for me, but really it worked out ok. One of the biggest bummers with the cold is that I can't really hang out for long afterward, because I know my body temp is going to crash.

The knee is actually ok - no worse, certainly. It's a bit odd to have gone through a 25k-ish training plan with lots of hills and have the knee get better during that time, but I'll take it. I'm hoping my two weeks of from running will really help, too.
Great job!!
Thanks a bunch!
Thanks!
Nice work!! :banana: :banana:
Thanks so much!

Week of Apr. 21 - 28, 2024

This was the first of two weeks off from running after my trail race on April 20 (see above in this training log).

My husband and I are going to Hawaii for two weeks in June and will be doing a lot of hiking, so we are going to start working on that around home.

Sunday afternoon: walk outside
  • time: 46:39
  • distance: 2.2 mi
  • ave pace: 21:14
  • comments: Flew in from Wisconsin, had to do laundry, etc., and took a walk for steps.
Monday
  • After work: walk outside
    • time: 10:50
    • distance: 0.54 mi
    • ave pace: 20:15
    • comments: To get enough steps for the day.
  • Evening: 2-hr tennis doubles match - my partner and I lost 6-1, 6-1. I really shouldn't have been playing because I had zero energy, but we didn't have anyone else.
Tuesday after work: walk outside
  • time: 1:00:14
  • distance: 2.95 mi
  • ave pace: 20:25
Wednesday after work: walk outside
  • time: 1:02:34
  • distance: 3.05 mi
  • ave pace: 20:32
Thursday
  • Before breakfast: core workout
    • 60-sec plank
    • 20 starfish
    • 20 dead bugs
    • 20 bird dogs
    • 20 each side flutter kicks
    • 20 bicycle crunches with hold
    • 5 10-sec hollow-body holds
    • 2 30-sec side planks
    • 20 double leg lift/lowers
  • After work: walk on treadmill
    • time: 43:35
    • distance: 2.22 mi
    • ave pace: 19:38
    • incline: 2%
Friday
  • Before breakfast: core workout
    • 60-sec plank
    • 20 starfish
    • 20 dead bugs
    • 20 bird dogs
    • 20 each side flutter kicks
    • 20 bicycle crunches with hold
    • 5 10-sec hollow-body holds
    • 2 30-sec side planks
    • 20 double leg lift/lowers
  • After work: walk outside
    • time: 57:51
    • distance: 2.86 mi
    • ave pace: 20:09
Saturday
  • After breakfast: 90-min tennis doubles practice
  • Before lunch: walk on treadmill
    • time: 24:47
    • distance: 1.26 mi
    • ave pace: 19:40
    • incline: 0%
    • comments: to get enough steps
Sunday: hike!
  • T 79 F
  • time: 2:46:05
  • distance: 6.24 mi
  • ave pace: 26:38
  • elevation gain: 1260 ft (corrected)
  • route: Sugarloaf Mountain in Maryland

Health

Well, the knees are the question. They were feeling pretty good after the race, all things considered. The hike did a number on them, especially the downhill, since the Appalachians have so much "stair-step" hiking with all the rocks. Inclines without "steps" are much better, especially for downhill. I've been putting of going to real PT for them, but now that work is getting less busy, I need to go.

Oddly, I seem to have pulled my left anterior deltoid during the race because it has been quite sore since then. Think lifting your arm for jumping-jacks, but there are all kinds of everyday moves that I notice it for. Hopefully it will work out soon. Tennis does not help it.

Bummer on the knee. I have not hiked in a long time (also have not run in a long time). Once we can start again (when mom is less demanding), i already said we need to start with not too much elevation. I prefer hiking the AT and yeah that might not be so good yet. Are you wearing a brace? I am not wearing one. I did ask the Dr and my PT and they both went don't bother. My dr said it wont help much but will make my knee hot and PT does not want me relying on a brace. I am hoping i can hike the elevation and run at some point.

Bummer on the knee. I have not hiked in a long time (also have not run in a long time). Once we can start again (when mom is less demanding), i already said we need to start with not too much elevation. I prefer hiking the AT and yeah that might not be so good yet. Are you wearing a brace? I am not wearing one. I did ask the Dr and my PT and they both went don't bother. My dr said it wont help much but will make my knee hot and PT does not want me relying on a brace. I am hoping i can hike the elevation and run at some point.
The knees are patellofemoral pain (runner's knee), which is kneecap alignment issues. There aren't really braces that help with that. I do find that kinesio tape can help, and I was doing that for my long training runs - I forgot to with the hike.

The issue with the tape is that sweating can make the tape start to peel off, so it's obviously less effective. I had been taping the knee caps as usual, and then covering them with a strip of tape going all around my knee to try to keep the peeling from happening - seemed to be moderately effective.

Photos from Tour de Dodge!

My trail race had free photos. You can see that I didn't work very hard to make good photos. :rotfl2:

The first two images were while I was hiking an uphill section on the back half of the course. It was before I tripped and fell because my knees are clean. :) You can tell I was really excited here.
2024-04-20_Tour de Dodge (531).jpg2024-04-20_Tour de Dodge (532).jpg
The last two photos are from the finish. You can't see it unless you zoom in, but I've got salt crusted on my neck - it was 37 F with a windchill below freezing, keep in mind! At least I look excited in the last one! :)2024-04-20_Tour de Dodge (704).jpg2024-04-20_Tour de Dodge (705).jpg

Great pics. I am so happy for you.

As for the knees, while i ask you how they are, i know we don't really have the same issues. I have dealt with runner's knee in the past. My best suggestion is therapy. I did really good with therapy for many years. I am jealous of the hiking in Hawaii. It should be awesome. Can't wait to see pics. Going to live vicariously through you till i can get back to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter