Awkward question, cruising with LO's that wet the bed?

My son wet the bed when he was little: good news, he eventually outgrew it :) but yes, it's frustrating at times with how long it can take for them to learn to reliably hold it in all night. I would definitely bring my own twin-sized waterproof mattress covers, one for any child who might wet the bed. They can be washed as needed. Thanks for being considerate by asking about this, and not leaving a urine-stained mattress for the next guests to sleep on. DCL definitely does not provide urine-protection on beds by default, so you can't just expect it to be there already.

The person you quoted said, "Unless it’s the pajama party I wouldn’t send them to the club in their pj’s kids are brutal and they could be made fun of. " :-)
Gosh I totally missed that, whoops! I was like, how crazy that our experience has been so different!

I second the waterproof mattress pads as well as using a diaper double pad in the night time pull up. Those pads are great and make the pull up even more absorbent.

I third this comment! We use Diaper doublers in Pampers Underjams and Goodnites Disposable bed mats in an older child who hadn’t grown out of night wetting yet. In our cruises before doing this- a child has had a leak and I have just quietly let the stateroom host know and they’ve taken care of it. I’m sure to tip him/her better if that happens.

Not that you asked, but... about the time my bedwetter turned 7 we used a Malen bedwetting alarm. Life changing awesome. It took the whole summer for him to be reliably dry, but after 4 days he was dry over 50% of the time. (This for a kid who had never woken dry before.) I wouldn't use it for a younger kid, but at age 7-8 it becomes appropriate.

Unless bed pee covers are now soundless, there was NO pee cover on the pull down bunk. Every time I've been on a bed where one was, you hear it, and yes, there is a different feel when you lay down.

Now, could our stateroom host have removed it having met us all and knowing we were all adults? I suppose.

I would still err on the side of telling them you need pee protection on the bed.

I have had "soundless" waterproof covers on our beds for years. They've come a long way from the eighties.

Polyurethane laminate is both soundless and flexible, and you absolutely wouldn't know it was there unless you could see the laminated side, which might be sewn into an interior layer.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but I can't believe that DCL does not routinely protect their mattresses. That would be crazy.

Last edited:
Not that you asked, but... about the time my bedwetter turned 7 we used a Malen bedwetting alarm. Life changing awesome. It took the whole summer for him to be reliably dry, but after 4 days he was dry over 50% of the time. (This for a kid who had never woken dry before.) I wouldn't use it for a younger kid, but at age 7-8 it becomes appropriate.

I second the betwetting alarms, for kids who are "ready" to move on. My son was around 8 or 9 when he decided he didn't want to wait until he grew out of it. After a couple of weeks it was like a switch had been flipped - from wet virtually every night (if we didn't get him up to go to the bathroom), to reliably dry, almost overnight.

For one of my kids, we used a washable, reusable “chux pad” that was much easier than an entire waterproof sheet. It’s about 3’ x 3’, easily packable, and you can use it on top of or beneath a fitted sheet. When we travel, we put it on the bed (on top of the fitted sheet) at bedtime, then put it away when we wake up (to be more discreet and not draw attention to it). It’s also much easier to wash the pad than it is to strip a bed and wash all the sheets.
Priva High Quality Ultra Waterproof Sheet and Mattress Protector 34x36 Inch, 6 Cups Absorbency, Guaranteed 400 Machine Washes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOA7B...abc_NS5NG6W16VW38HRT5XRW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would try to prevent the leaks rather than using bed pads. Are you using pull-ups or the Goodnites? If you're using pull-ups, switch to Goodnites or Ninjamas for higher absorbency. If you're using Goodnites and still getting leaks, you can switch to incontinence underwear in youth size, or use doublers inside the Goodnites.

Lurker chiming in. My kids are older, but I remember from long ago that pullups never had the absorbancy of a regular diaper. We used to use Huggies overnights (the diapers, not a pullup) at night long after the kids were daytime trained. The size 6 would easily fit my then 5 year old.

If I remember right, the overnight diapers had Mickey Mouse on them. Maybe that's something you could use to convince your LO's to wear something more 'protective' while on the ship?

Interesting thought! We've been using the pull-ups since a bit before potty training. I doubt ODS would be even close to fitting in a diaper, but our youngest could possibly. Will have to look into this.

I would try to prevent the leaks rather than using bed pads. Are you using pull-ups or the Goodnites? If you're using pull-ups, switch to Goodnites or Ninjamas for higher absorbency. If you're using Goodnites and still getting leaks, you can switch to incontinence underwear in youth size, or use doublers inside the Goodnites.

I second the waterproof mattress pads as well as using a diaper double pad in the night time pull up. Those pads are great and make the pull up even more absorbent.

We are indeed using Goodnites with our older DS. YDS is still wearing the standard nighttime 3T-4T pull-ups, as he's on the smaller side. We actually tried having him wear one of his brothers' Goodnites somewhat recently, and discovered they gap really bad around his legs because they're so big on him.

Thanks for opening my eyes to the doublers! We will certainty look into those--would you happen to know about how large/how much luggage space something like that would take up? I don't recall having bought them before (didn't realize they were even a thing!) We still deal with leaks with the Goodnites (i.e, last night) so will absolutely look into buying something like these doublers. Thanks!!

I'm going to second goodnights in lieu of mattress pads. There are already mattress protectors on the DCL kids beds (the fabric kind). However, what you want to prevent on vacation is a lot of soaked jammies so you don't have to deal with laundry.

Try the Space Bags to save on space. It’s amazing how much more you can pack with these things

These look fantastic! Thanks! DH is convinced it won't be an issue, but I've been (and still am) concerned about the logistics of how we're going to pack all these along for a 7 night cruise.

Does anyone happen to know the availability of buying larger size pull-ups/diapers either on the ship or in port? Would that be more economical vs trying to pack them beforehand?

DCL does not have a limit on bags/boxes. Could you ship a box to your pre-cruise hotel? Then check it at the port with your luggage. You’ll use it up and nothing to bring home (or maybe a few spares that will tuck into another bag).

Does anyone happen to know the availability of buying larger size pull-ups/diapers either on the ship or in port? Would that be more economical vs trying to pack them beforehand?

The ship does carry some diapers, but they may not be in the sizes you need and are very pricy. I am not sure where you are sailing from but will assume Port Canaveral for a 7 night cruise. There are several stores near the port that would carry all the sizes. If you are flying in, perhaps schedule a car service to the port that includes a store stop, or once you have checked in, one of the adults could take a taxi/ride share to the store.

DCL does not have a limit on bags/boxes. Could you ship a box to your pre-cruise hotel? Then check it at the port with your luggage. You’ll use it up and nothing to bring home (or maybe a few spares that will tuck into another bag).

That's a great idea! I never imagined we could simply check a box in with luggage! I suppose as long as it meets the size/weight restrictions there's no reason that wouldn't be allowed? The boys usually wear a different size from one another, but in the interest of not buying/shipping 2 different boxes...I *may* end up packing just one size of pull-ups for the oldest (which are harder to find) and perhaps seeing if can buy the size that the youngest will need while on the ship.

The ship does carry some diapers, but they may not be in the sizes you need and are very pricy. I am not sure where you are sailing from but will assume Port Canaveral for a 7 night cruise. There are several stores near the port that would carry all the sizes. If you are flying in, perhaps schedule a car service to the port that includes a store stop, or once you have checked in, one of the adults could take a taxi/ride share to the store.

We are indeed leaving out of Canaveral! 7 days in the Caribbean. Just saying that makes me want to backflip across the room! (I'd probably break my neck). That is VERY welcome news that there's actually store that may carry these...we're hoping that will be an option for at least the youngest. Price isn't a *huge* concern, since he only wears them at night--so (hopefully) we wont need to buy them in any large quantity, I figured we'd plan on 2 per night, just to be safe?

Apologies to be picking your brain so much here...but, would you happen to know if--as far as sizes go--do they have the full range of both diapers AND pull-ups? At home both boys wear pull-ups, but based on what some previous posters and a co-worker of mine have said, we're actually considering seeing if at least the youngest would object to wearing an actual *overnight* diaper.

Thanks once again everyone for your help here! CANNOT wait for this trip...it's very long overdue.

Last edited:
Apologies to be picking your brain so much here...but, would you happen to know if--as far as sizes go--do they have the full range of both diapers AND pull-ups?

The Walmart supercenter is in Cocoa on 528 and there’s a Publix supermarket on A1A in Cocoa Beach. Both of them are about 10 minutes from the Port. If you book your own car service, I would guess stopping at either of those would be just fine. They’re both full-size stores, so I would expect them to have all of the sizes in stock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter