Back from an Amazing Trip...Well, with One Exception

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Returned yesterday from an absolutely magical vacation! A few comments:

Resort - Art of Animation Adorable (Cars suite) and loved the fact that we had two rooms with two full washrooms. Very time efficient when trying to get out as quick as you can in the mornings. Also, the rooms and resort were clean as anything and we were a close walk to the cafeteria for a quick breakfast.

Memory Maker Recommend it to anyone coming the first time to Disney with kids. We had almost 300 pictures in just 5 days. Magic shots are cute, and the photo captures things like BBB, character greets, many castle and scenic shots, etc And I loved how some rides (and even 7DMT video) came through.

Fast Pass Don't get why some complain as this was sooo helpful in coming to the park with 3 rides you could almost walk on (or at least bypass the long line). For others we rode early or just stuck it out and waited. I guess the toughest part was questioning "do we have time to go on another ride before our next FP?"

General Park Comment Similar to our resort, I noticed how spotless everything was. I never saw a piece of garbage on the ground. Very impressed.

CMs and Photographers Everyone was super nice and helpful. In all our trip, the only exception was one photographer directing people for magic shot photos at the Haunted Mansion at MNSSHP (and from above, we had MANY photographers).

Parades and Fireworks I didn't think a parade would be anything special but for the afternoon one at MK (Festival of Fantasy), the colors and details were quite impressive. We also caught the MNSSHP which was cool. My favorite part was with the zombies and also the guys that dug their metal things into the ground making a spark. And of course seeing the Haunted Mansion ghosts. The electrical parade was cool too with the lights. And wow...the fireworks at MNSSHP was really impressive. (Illuminations one was neat too but I preferred the MNSSHP one)

Castle Light Show Amazing effects on the castle

Rides So many to talk about. My favorite (and DD5 as well) was Haunted Mansion. Big Thunder was super fun rollercoaster as was 7DMT (well, except for the "exception" of why this trip wasn't 200% amazing). Test Track is really cool how you build your car, and then go really fast at the end. Also, there were great shows at HS.

Kids Reaction We came with our DD5 and DS9. Needless to say my DD was in such awe meeting all the princesses (CRT, Akershus + Tiana, Anna & Elsa)...and also meeting Sophia, Gaston and the fabulous Disney 5 characters. It was priceless to see her reaction. She also did BBB which was quite magical. She really did feel like a princess. My DS LOVED Jedi Traing and Star Tours and Splash Mountain. Seeing that smile on their face is what it is all about. He even surprised us by being excited to see the fabulous 5 (at Chef Mickeys)

Food Had some great meals at CRT, Boma, Ohana...those were my favorites. For QS, delicious healthy beet salad at Sunshine Seasons, surprised at yummy quinoa salad at ABC Commissary, and flat bread at Pinocchio Haus

Weather After hearing about all the rain in September and watching the daily weather in October, I was worried about what we'd get. We came ready with ponchos and all. However, we were absolutely lucky and didn't need them at all. Not one drop of rain and was in high 20s all week (cooler in morning and evenings but very comfortable).

Crowds We really only experienced bad crowds twice...and those were both expected from reading here. One was visiting MK on a Monday (so yeah...knew we wouldn't be alone at the park, so just went with the flow) and the parades and shows for MNSSHP on Friday (also knew the warnings). But really, it wasn't that bad...just waited a bit longer for rides (or skipped them) and grabbed a spot for parades early, etc. On other days, HS was almost walk on (or walk in for shows), and Epcot was just about walk on too. Even Test Track was only a 30 min wait including the part building your car. And likes seemed to move, even when long. DH was funny at Epcot since as he was complaining how I "made good use of a FP" (totally sarcasm) since we walked right in...for all but Test Track and Soarin.

The Bad (my exception for a perfect trip) Our first day at the park I was sick...I mean really sick. Had awful migraine and very nauseous. Awful. I could barely move. I sat in a table for awhile and let DH take the kids on the rides. I did force myself to go on 7DMT (I wasn't missing that after scoring a FP) and then threw up after. Helped to feel a touch better, but then it all returned and I couldn't eat at BOG. So upset as I so wanted to try one of those triple chocolate cup cakes (but couldn't even look at it). I did manage to sit it out through the Electrical Parade as I didn't want my kids to miss that, but boy was it rough getting ourselves back to our car.
Never the less, I felt better the next morning. Just one of those things I guess and the rest was amazing.

And the good news. Before our trip, DH had made it seem like this would be our first and only trip to Disney. But now he's talking about 'when we go back again..." Yah, so maybe in a few years we'll be back! :cool1:

Sounds like a great trip! Sorry you were sick ... but at least it was just one day. Relax ... the cupcakes aren't as good as they look. Had one when they first opened and enjoyed it but it wasn't anything all THAT special!

It was nice to read a positive review of the FP+ system. We will have our first trip with FP+ during Spring Break 2015 and are trying to be positive as we plan with all of the changes ... our first MB's too!

Thanks for sharing!

The Bad (my exception for a perfect trip) Our first day at the park I was sick...I mean really sick. Had awful migraine and very nauseous. Awful. I could barely move. I sat in a table for awhile and let DH take the kids on the rides. I did force myself to go on 7DMT (I wasn't missing that after scoring a FP) and then threw up after.

I'm glad you had a great trip. And I'm so sorry you spent even one moment of your trip not feeling well.

But one of the things people miss about the old FP system is that if they were sick, they could skip the ride knowing full well they could come back the next day and get another FP for the ride they had missed, no matter how much "in demand" that ride was. Every day was a clean slate.

Glad you had a great trip except for the migraine! Been there...done that...no fun.

It is always great to hear someone who got to enjoy what is so special about WDW, highlighting some of the things that the frequent visitors sometimes seem to forget or take for granted.

I'm glad you had a great trip. And I'm so sorry you spent even one moment of your trip not feeling well.

But one of the things people miss about the old FP system is that if they were sick, they could skip the ride knowing full well they could come back the next day and get another FP for the ride they had missed, no matter how much "in demand" that ride was. Every day was a clean slate.

Yeah...can see that side. I think with the old system I'd feel pressured to get to the park early to grab any FP early so they don't sell out. AT least with the current one, we know that we have say Big Thunder at 11am and Peter Pan at 2:30pm.

It is always great to hear someone who got to enjoy what is so special about WDW, highlighting some of the things that the frequent visitors sometimes seem to forget or take for granted.

It really was magical. pixiedust:

Hello Frozen and welcome back! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip:banana::banana: I agree it's nice to hear you found the magic. Even after all my visits I still find some each time I go, but my kids not so much:( so I enjoy hearing about other peoples' first trips.

As a migraine sufferer I feel your pain! Glad it only lasted one day though. And now for the big question........how did your feet hold up???:scratchin

OP here...I forgot and had to add one more comment about the weather.

Hello Frozen and welcome back! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip:banana::banana: I agree it's nice to hear you found the magic. Even after all my visits I still find some each time I go, but my kids not so much:( so I enjoy hearing about other peoples' first trips.

As a migraine sufferer I feel your pain! Glad it only lasted one day though. And now for the big question........how did your feet hold up???:scratchin

Thank you for your message and checking in. Our trip was so magical. Glad you can still see things time after time (I'm jealous you can go again and again...ha ha)

As for my feet, I LOVE those Go Walks. They did wonders and I was almost normal. By the end I had a bit of the burning and my little toe hurt a bit on one day (but was wearing slightly thicker socks), but really cannot complain. Going forward (and no longer pressured to find proper runners), I'm gonna check out other Sketchers and see if any of those work for regular runners (but not Memory Foam)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter