Back from another fantastic trip

MickeyMcMouse

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Back from another superb trip and ready to book the next.

The agenda for the boys only trip was to be : drink, food then maybe a little shopping, which turned out to be not too far from the truth.

After a short flight down from edi to lgw, we stayed overnight at the Hilton (to help me get my gold card back ;) ) and then onto the check in after the usual all you can eat breakfast.

Becuse of the increased security the day after the bombings, we headed of quite early to the terminal, but upper class check in was a breeze and we were soon heading towards the clubhouse for the first of many glasses of champagne that day. After the obligitary bacon rolls and the odd glass we stotted off to the gate where we found the boarding had started.

No problems tho and the priority check-in worked a treat as we were ushered under the ropes and into the pointy bit. The champagne flowed again until we realised that we were way passed the allocated take off time and found out that "the pilot wasn't happy with a couple of passengers"

Being the day after the London bombings, this caused more than a little concern, which increased after the next announcement told us that the passengers where now unloaded and they were searching the area they had been seated in.

This started to get a little hazing now ... but the next call told us they were awaiting " conformation from the authorities that we could leave" and eventually we took off around 2 1/2 hours late.

Whatever happened, its quite reassuring to know that there is plenty security stuff going on behind the scenes.

The rest of the flight was great (will post any details if anyone wants), and can say that if you ever get the chance, by an upgrade or with the result of a great offer, have a shot in Virgins new cabin.

A quick run thro immigration, and onwards to pick up the car. It seems pretty easy now to get out the airport and into the Disney these days, but we've maybe just been lucky the last few times.

The first two nights were spent at the Hilton @ Downtown (more points :rolleyes1 ) and then a quick trip to VWL and a fantastic 2 bedroomed villa on the corner. It was one of the rooms that you see when you walk round the lobby on the second floor. ( and it meant that with the bed settee everyone got there own space.)

The Villas at Wilderness Lodge is definately our favourite with the "middle of nowhere feel" but just minutes away from the Magic Kingdom and a few more from just about everywhere else.

The quiet pool is just that, and unless you got an invasion from some of the monster kids, there never seemed to be many more than a dozen of us there. :cloud9:

We had some great meals - Artist Point WL, Concourse Steakhouse Contemperary, Outback Steakhouse, Rainforest Cafe,The Whispering Canyon WL, great room service from aunt jenny and of course the obligitary Papa Johns Pizza.

We returned on the VS50 which give you a great departure time of around 21.15 so gaining the whole of the last day ( and meant that with the suites you probably had about 5 or 6 hours sleep) and then onwards to the 12.20 shuttle into edi.

Once again, you have to marvel at the DVC concept and applaud the genius that came up with the idea. It really is one of the best holidays you can take.

Back to reality now and planning the next - probably to the carribean for some brownie points after this trip ;) but the upper class fares for november and the thanksgiving sales are looking very tempting at around £1200 each.

regards

David :sunny:

Great report David.

I find it reassuring that security acted so quickly :)

How were your meals at Artist Point & Whispering Canyon Cafe?

Miffy2003 said:
Great report David.

I find it reassuring that security acted so quickly :)

How were your meals at Artist Point & Whispering Canyon Cafe?

Artist Point was great - as usual, although they still seem unable to cook the buffalo steak to well done - " it makes it too tough " - but thats how I want it !! The price was amazing value, as long as you stay off the wine, which can turn a very reasonable bill into a horrendous one. ( The beer is served in frozen glasses, which makes it very paletable ;) )

Whispering Canyon is not really my scene, but after a few death stares to our server, I started to relax. I am not into all that happy clappy hooting stuff, although it seems to suit most of the Americans. ( If you were in a resturant in the UK and the waiter announced to all the diners that you "had no credit on your card" - I don't suppose that place would be open very long, even if they are just joking.) It's an aquired taste, but maybe after a few beers it will seem better.

Kaylee - we love Wilderness and have been many times now. There is just something about walking into the lobby and soaking in the atmosphere. As for "Disney's best kept secret" (their latest advertising blur) don't tell anyone but its the quiet pool at VWL. The main pool can have 3 or 4 hundred mad people at it when round the corner, out of sight there is a haven of calm for you to enjoy.

The rooms, whilst a little dark for everyones taste, are themed to perfection and have, in our visits, always been immaculate.I don't know if its because it's a little smaller than most DVC resorts, but the staff seem to take more than a little pride in the villas and you will find it difficult to walk past them without receiving a "morning" or a "howdy"

regards

David

David.

Sounds like a marvellous trip!!!

the upper class fares for november and the thanksgiving sales are looking very tempting at around £1200 each.

Where would I find out more about that VERY interesting information!?! :scratchin :)

Hi Becky,

Wish i had got my credit card out and booked it yesterday. I found it on the virgin site, dates were roughly 25th nov - 3rd dec and it came out at £1200.

Checking now, I can't find anything under £2k

Typical :confused3 - just have to keep looking.

David

David - thank you for that nice review of the restaurants. We have a ressie for WCC for August and I would like to squeeze in AP as well but think it will have to wait for another time so many restaurants, not enough time.....!!

Artist Point has got to be one of our fav's, and this time, unusually I went for the salmon which was delicious. Usually go for the buffalo but when I seen the allegedly well done steaks the others had ordered, I was quite happy. (don't really like to see red)

The Artist point cobbler is to die for, but has been changed slightly this year from vanilla ice cream to a berry flavored one, although I am sure that if you asked, you could have the vanilla again.

Overall, its got to get a pretty high 9 out of 10.

Just as a ps. the one that impressed the others the most was the Concourse Steakhouse at the Contemperary. We had a great waitress, who really earned her tip and the food was 1st class ( and of course, its just across the water, so no designated drivers :drinking1 )

(All this talk about food is making me hungry :cake: )

David

MickeyMcMouse said:
Hi Becky,

Wish i had got my credit card out and booked it yesterday. I found it on the virgin site, dates were roughly 25th nov - 3rd dec and it came out at £1200.

Checking now, I can't find anything under £2k

Typical :confused3 - just have to keep looking.

David

Oh what a shame! :sad1: I was playing about with the booking bit the other day (ever hopeful) and certainly found that the prices for Upper Class could vary hugely!

Hope you manage to find a good deal. :)

David I don't know if this will work for you, but I've found that the prices seem to vary just from playing around with the dates, before you put in the dates you want.(?!) No idea why, how it works, or even if they will honour that price at the "checkout" :confused3 I'm not just talking little variations, I've been seeing differences of several thousand!!! Also got the good price on Opodo.

I'm surre you know a lot more about all this than I do, but I thought it was maybe worth mentioning!! :)

Becky

Outbound
London (LGW) to
Orlando (MCO)

Flight VS027
Depart 11:15 Thursday, 24 Nov, 2005
Arrive 15:40 Thursday, 24 Nov, 2005
Cabin Upper Class
Fare Type lowest

Inbound
Orlando (MCO) to
London (LGW)

Flight VS028
Depart 18:05 Monday, 5 Dec, 2005
Arrive 06:55 Tuesday, 6 Dec, 2005
Cabin Upper Class
Fare Type lowest

£1276 on va site tonight. ;)

regards

David

One day - definitely!!! Though I mentioned it to DH and he just looked shocked! :confused3 Can't think why! :rotfl:

I was just pleased that David had found another good price - and hopefully booked it this time!!! :teeth:

Great report thanks for posting. We are definatly going to have to try VWL one day but with our love of BCV and OKW it might take a while.

Am back in planning mode after finding that great fare, but am running out of points for this year after a one bedroom trip in march and the two bedroom one a couple of weeks ago, so decided to check out a price for Wilderness Lodge for 6 nights on www.waltdisneyworld.com

Price for the Lodge in November is £900 for 6 nights, but it gives you the option of another two deluxe hotels for the same period. Beach Club comes in around £1200, but ..... Animal Kingdom Lodge comes in at .... wait for it ...... £600. - Very tempting :teeth:

regards

David :)

ps.- the Hilton at Downtown is about £800 !

We have booked Virgin upper class for July 06..........does anyone know whether they will have the new cabins with the flat beds by then>!!>? Keeping everything crossed that they do!
Debsx

Debs

Unless there is a substitution for an a340-300 (unheard of) all Orlando flights, either gatwick or manchester have had the new suites for a few months.

You WILL enjoy them - they are superb :sunny:

regards

David

Thanks David, that is SUCH good news!!! When I looked on website Orlando wasn't on the list of destinations and so I was a bit worried, thanks for reassuring me!

This is the first time we have ever flown upper class and I'm really looking forward to it! Tell me more about the cabin, the perks, the food etc!!!!! And the lounge at Gatwick! IT may be a once in a lifetime experience so I want to make the most of it! ha! ha!
Debsx

Hi Debs, deep breath ... here we go,

The Clubhouse is great - get there nice an early and don't bother too much about any breakfast as you can eat till your hearts content. And don't forget a nice glass of champagne - even if its only 9.00am - your on your hols ;)

Before you leave the Clubhouse, have a look for any celebs - mind, we are no good at that - seen Richard Branson 5 weeks ago but missed Heather Mills and Natalie Embrolia sp?

We always leave the Clubhouse before we are called, as its nice to get on the plane nice and early (for another glass or two), but since its your first time, it's kinda nice to jump the queue ;)

The upper Class cabin is fantastic with only 14 seats and a bar. You are given your own little "pod" which of course converts into a bed. You can recline before take off (there's an airbag in your seat belt) and there is a nice little ottoman which is very handy for sticking your feet on.

The table is gigantic, compared to anything you have experienced in economy and you might just have to move your feet to let your companion sit down opposite you and enjoy a drink or two (are you seeing a pattern here)

The food is very nice, although I believe there is to be a new menu shortly if not now. There has been one or two comments made about some of the selections, but if you are like us, even after the 4th time in Upper, you will be pretty impressed.

There is of course the bar, which you can visit at any time, although we have found the attention given by the staff to be superb, and usually have to put your hand over the glass to stop them continually topping it up. :rolleyes1

There is a new ammenity kit, which has just been introduced, but the old one was very very good - even had a packet of polos in it :teeth:

We took friends along with us in July - they had only flown Virgin once in economy and were totally impressed. Oh .... don't forget your increase in baggage allowance - 3 yes 3 bags at max 32kg each WOW. Even I struggle to use that :rotfl2:

There is one problem though - you will never want to fly any less again. We are looking to book our third Upper Class flight this year :rolleyes1 but will maybe see sense and wait till the beginning of next year.

Any more questions, or anything I have missed - fire away.

regards

David

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter