• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Australia!

beansf

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone! I am just back from the 10/11-10/21 Discovery Down Under trip. I am still recovering from jet lag, but thought I would report on how things went. This trip was truly amazing and quite the adventure.

Our group was so small (11 people) that we ended up with only one guide, Mike. He did a terrific job and I really couldn’t ask for more from a guide. I was surprised that our group ended up being so small, since we were waitlisted for six months as the tour was “full”. Where did all those people go? Our guide said that if we had been one less, they would have cancelled the tour. Thank goodness that didn’t happen!

The people in my group ranged in age from (I believe) 28 to 73. We had a really nice group of people. I enjoyed their company and getting to know them throughout the trip. I was a little apprehensive as to how I would feel eating and traveling with strangers, as I am not too forward generally, but I felt comfortable with these folks almost immediately. I think that is a testament to them and the guide, who was very good at promoting conversation and fostering relationships.

The tour itself was amazing. I don’t want to give too much away, because honestly, it is something best experienced in person. I think if I had read a detailed report before I went, I may have enjoyed it less because I would have missed out on the surprises. And believe me, if there had been a trip report, I would have read it!

Let me just say that I really didn’t want for anything while I was on the tour. I felt pampered and taken care of the whole way through. It was great to travel and let someone else take care of the details. It really makes for a more relaxing experience.

I had no problems with the hotels, the food was plentiful and varied, and the activities were amazing. Australia is a beautiful place and ABD is a great way to see it. I did feel like I got my money’s worth and I would totally do it again. If you are considering doing this tour, I say go for it. You will have a tremendous time.

(If you have specific questions, feel free to ask!)

The tour itself was amazing. I don’t want to give too much away, because honestly, it is something best experienced in person. I think if I had read a detailed report before I went, I may have enjoyed it less because I would have missed out on the surprises. And believe me, if there had been a trip report, I would have read it!

Awwwww!!! I want spoilers!!!! :)
I'm really looking forward to this trip in January!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip. Do you have any tips for how not to go stir-crazy with all that flying?

Beansf,

Welcome back! Our journey starts 3 weeks from tomorrow (I can't believe it's finally almost here!).

1) As dingoballs asked...how was the weather? Given it will be early summer, we're planning on mostly shorts (really almost only shorts)...packing a pair of long pants for any 'nice' dinners (how dressy was your group?)

2) Did you arrive early, or the day your adventure began? Due to school schedule, we're unable to arrive early. My answer to ImprovGal's question is simple...Sleep! If you can't sleep (and unfortunately, that's always a problem for me), bring plenty to read and get an aisle seat so you can get up to walk around! I've been over to Asia many times and there's no doubt it's a LONG flight!

3) Was your trip adults-only...I'm surprised by such a small group as well!

4) What kind of activities did you/others do in the free time?

We've been looking forward to this trip for over a year and we're really excited it is getting so close.

Would appreciate any insights you can share. Our kids are 15 (DD) and 11 (DS).

Thanks!

Awwwww!!! I want spoilers!!!! :)
I'm really looking forward to this trip in January!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip. Do you have any tips for how not to go stir-crazy with all that flying?

Here are my flying tips:

1) Ambien. For the first time, I got a few pills from my doctor and it really made it nice to be able to sleep at least 6 hours without interruption.

2) Ear plugs. The engine noise is a serious impediment to sleep (and so are crying babies!). If you can get a hold of some noise cancellation headphones, that would be good, too. I am definitely buying some for my next long trip.

3) Eat all the meals they serve you. On United, they feed you about an hour after you take off, leave you a snack at some point (I am always asleep when the snack fairy comes by), and serve you breakfast about an hour before landing.

4) We took a mini laptop for movies (I watched one on each flight) and a good book. The time went much faster than I expected. I was dreading it beforehand, but it really wasn't that bad.

Hi Beansf,

How was the weather Down Under? Is it summer for them right now?

The weather was really nice. It is basically Spring there right now. In Queensland, it was warm...in the 80's. It only rained one time, but boy when it rained it POURED. The good news is, the hotel will lend you nice, big umbrellas and ABD gives you ponchos. Hey, it is a rainforest, right? Gotta go with it.

It was pretty hot at Uluru. The sun is intense. We wore hats and UPF shirts the entire time. I was proud of the fact I came home without any sun damage/burn.

Sydney was lovely. We wore light jackets in the morning and evening. At mid-day it was mid 70's - mid 80's. On the day that you fly from Uluru to Sydney, bring a jacket, because you will likely want it before you have access to your luggage in Sydney.

Thanks Beansf!

It sounds like you were well-prepared! I think we'll pick an October date to go as well...

I was expecting some input on what the trip's like...I pay for mine this weekend.

I hope they don't cancel it. I have friends who just dropped out of it. I'm going anyway because I won't be able to change the flights.

Beansf,

Welcome back! Our journey starts 3 weeks from tomorrow (I can't believe it's finally almost here!).

1) As dingoballs asked...how was the weather? Given it will be early summer, we're planning on mostly shorts (really almost only shorts)...packing a pair of long pants for any 'nice' dinners (how dressy was your group?)

2) Did you arrive early, or the day your adventure began? Due to school schedule, we're unable to arrive early. My answer to ImprovGal's question is simple...Sleep! If you can't sleep (and unfortunately, that's always a problem for me), bring plenty to read and get an aisle seat so you can get up to walk around! I've been over to Asia many times and there's no doubt it's a LONG flight!

3) Was your trip adults-only...I'm surprised by such a small group as well!

4) What kind of activities did you/others do in the free time?

We've been looking forward to this trip for over a year and we're really excited it is getting so close.

Would appreciate any insights you can share. Our kids are 15 (DD) and 11 (DS).

Thanks!

1) I think you will be good with mostly shorts. The only thing I liked about having capris is that it was that much less leg I had to slather sunscreen on. Our group wasn't too dressy. The only time you have to be too concerned about it is when you go to the Summit restaurant. You can read the dress code at the Summit's website: www.summitrestaurant.com.au. I wore a knit dress that I knew I could ball up in a suitcase and it wouldn't need ironing. I was glad, because we ended up with only about 40 minutes to get ready for dinner.

2) We didn't arrive early. It seems the jetlag really hits on the trip home. We didn't really feel bad on the way in. We were so excited and there was so much to do! I am feeling it now, though. I woke up at 12:30 AM last night and couldn't get back to sleep until after 3 and I flew in on Tuesday!

3) Our trip was Adults Only. There was another lady on our trip that was wait-listed until March, just as we were, and two more people that just booked in July. We were all conjecturing as to what happened. I don't know if everyone books as soon as the itineraries are announced but then backs out when they see the price of airfare, or what. The economy has been so crazy lately, I guess it is anyone's guess.

4) We didn't have tons of free time, in fact we were shocked that we never made it to the hotel pool at all. Especially at Sea Temple in Palm Cove, as they have a BEAUTIFUL pool area. In the time that we did have, we were usually shopping.

We did stay one extra day in Sydney and we did the Harbour Bridge Climb, which takes 3 1/2 hours. It was a really fun experience. We also spent about 90 minutes inside the Royal Botanic Gardens which were fabulous. If you have any interest in flora and fauna, I highly recommend it. It was very peaceful there. We also went to Paddy's Market for cheap souveniers. They had really reasonable stuff: $2 for calenders, t-shirts for $8, etc. Also, we went to Max Brennar's for a chocolate pizza lunch and Harry's Cafe de Wheels for meat pies. We are foodies, so that is always a priority for us. We also walked around the Darling Harbour area. Some of the people went on the Opera House tour, but they say it is sort of outdated on the inside, so I am glad we didn't bother with it. The hotel in Sydney is close to most things, so we walked everywhere and didn't use public transportation even once.

I was expecting some input on what the trip's like...I pay for mine this weekend.

I hope they don't cancel it. I have friends who just dropped out of it. I'm going anyway because I won't be able to change the flights.

The trip is really great. I am sure you will have an awesome time. You can expect to get up close and personal with many interesting creatures and you will meet lots of great people. Like others have said before, many times your group will be the only group around. You feel like you have VIP access everywhere you go. Even when there are others around, you will have your own local guide, which really enriches the experience.

I am looking forward to it. The flying I am not looking forward to. I hadn't thought about Ambien - I don't sleep on planes. Maybe a chat with the doctor is in order.

thanks for the packing tips! I do shorts and spray sunscreen. and the info on where the cheap tee shirts are. and I think I will skip the Opera House tour.

Can you tell me about snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef? I'm not a strong swimmer, so I'm a little worried about it (planning to take some swim lessons before we go next June, because I don't want to miss it). Also, DS is a pretty good swimmer, but overconfident in my opinion, so I'm worried about him too. He wants to know if you saw any sharks.

We had a slightly different experience with the Great Barrier Reef than what was planned. It turned out to be a pretty stormy day, so our guide decided in accordance with the dive company, to take us not to the Low Isles, but to a different location further out. We went to the outer reef on a bigger boat to a large platform. They were concerned that the storm would churn up too much sand at Low Isles, and the visibility would be poor. Also, the waters were a bit rough that day and they thought the ride out on the larger boat would be more comfortable.

It is true that the seas were rough that day. Several people on the boat going out, including one in my group, got physically ill. I took 2 motion sickness pills myself, and still felt kind of woozy. It was very rainy close to the shore, but it didn't rain on us much out at the Reef, and in fact, was a bit sunny out there.

I think swimming lessons are a great idea. Your ability to stay calm and feel confident in the water will help determine what your experience is like. I have not personally spent a lot of time in the ocean. I have snorkeled previously in Hawaii, and the seas were much calmer there. We had one person in our group that had never snorkeled before, and it was a bit difficult for her. The tour guide and the marine biologist each had a flotation device, which they invited us to hold onto if we needed it. Our first-timer ended up with the device for the entire trip. Also, there were ropes which cordoned off the area you could swim in which you could hold onto.

Really, the weather is going to be a big factor in your experience. I don't know if they would have made the switch to the Outer Reef instead of the Low Isles if there had been children on our trip. I tend to think not.

We did not see any sharks when we were out there, but we were told it was a possibility.

Some questions as we try to figure out what to bring/not bring, etc.

1) Watershoes - needed or no?
2) Sydney Harbour Bridge - did you need advance reservations or did you arrange when you were in Sydney?
3) Anything you wished you brought but didn't (or brought, but wished you hadn't)?

Thanks again....leaving in 10 days

Some questions as we try to figure out what to bring/not bring, etc.

1) Watershoes - needed or no?
2) Sydney Harbour Bridge - did you need advance reservations or did you arrange when you were in Sydney?
3) Anything you wished you brought but didn't (or brought, but wished you hadn't)?

Thanks again....leaving in 10 days

1) I don't think watershoes were necessary. We really only went swimming twice...once in the river at Silky Oaks and once at the Great Barrier Reef, where you have flippers on.

2)We had advance reservations, but there were some empty spots that day. If you have your heart set on it though, I would probably book ahead.

3) I wish I had brought a pencil sharpener for my eyeliner and a lipstick. I took the minimal makeup thing a bit too far.

I should have left my hair dryer at home. Even though I had the converter and the transformer, my hair dryer sounded funny when I turned it on and I thought I could smell burning, so I was afraid to use it for fear I would burn it up. There were hair dryers at all three hotels. Even though I am picky about my dryer, the ones provided were fine.

Have a great trip!

OH! Also, I would add, don't bother bringing a poncho. Even though it is on the ABD packing list, you don't need it because they will provide you with one.

Hi Beansf,

During the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, did you ask the guide to take an individual photo of your family? If so, how much did it cost? I read that they provide a complimentary group photo, but you have to purchase any others.

Also, was it windy during your climb? What time of day/night did you go?

Hi Beansf,

During the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, did you ask the guide to take an individual photo of your family? If so, how much did it cost? I read that they provide a complimentary group photo, but you have to purchase any others.

Also, was it windy during your climb? What time of day/night did you go?

The guide on the bridge will take about three individual shots of you/your group. There were different pricing levels. You had the option (I think) to buy one image, one image in a special frame, 2 images, or 4 images of you plus 4 stock photos of the bridge on CD. I think the prices started at about $25AU and went up from there. We bought the photos on CD and I think it was $65AU. Yeah, it is expensive, but what the heck? I am sure it will probably be a once in a lifetime experience. Also, they have nice tshirts and things in the gift shop.:)

The guide on the bridge will take about three individual shots of you/your group. There were different pricing levels. You had the option (I think) to buy one image, one image in a special frame, 2 images, or 4 images of you plus 4 stock photos of the bridge on CD. I think the prices started at about $25AU and went up from there. We bought the photos on CD and I think it was $65AU. Yeah, it is expensive, but what the heck? I am sure it will probably be a once in a lifetime experience. Also, they have nice tshirts and things in the gift shop.:)

Thanks Beansf. I just purchased some PhotoPass prints & CD from our Enchanted China ABD, so those AU prices don't seem that bad... LOL

Also, was it windy during your climb? And what time of day/night did you go?

Thanks Beansf. I just purchased some PhotoPass prints & CD from our Enchanted China ABD, so those AU prices don't seem that bad... LOL

Also, was it windy during your climb? And what time of day/night did you go?

Oh, sorry. I neglected to answer those questions, didn't I? It was slightly windy when we went, but not terrible. It is windier in Sydney in the afternoon than it is in the morning. We have a similar situation in San Francisco. They did give us extra pants over our bridge suit and rain ponchos, since it was forecasted to rain. It did not rain, though. The sun came out part way through the climb and it was a lovely day. We started our climb at 9:25. They do climbs every 10 minutes. We were scheduled to go at 9:35, but they moved us up since we were there early and they had the space.

They give you everything you need to be comfortable. You have optional gloves, hat, hanky, etc. at your disposal. Be warned though, the changing "rooms" are terrible. It is like the tiniest possible space and there is a curtain that has a tendency to get pulled open on you.:confused3

Oh, sorry. I neglected to answer those questions, didn't I? It was slightly windy when we went, but not terrible. It is windier in Sydney in the afternoon than it is in the morning. We have a similar situation in San Francisco. They did give us extra pants over our bridge suit and rain ponchos, since it was forecasted to rain. It did not rain, though. The sun came out part way through the climb and it was a lovely day. We started our climb at 9:25. They do climbs every 10 minutes. We were scheduled to go at 9:35, but they moved us up since we were there early and they had the space.

They give you everything you need to be comfortable. You have optional gloves, hat, hanky, etc. at your disposal. Be warned though, the changing "rooms" are terrible. It is like the tiniest possible space and there is a curtain that has a tendency to get pulled open on you.:confused3

Thanks Beansf! I appreciate your descriptive posts and tips/warnings.

Btw, did your ABD guides recommend this climb or had they done it themselves?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter