• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Australia!

Actually, I had booked the bridge climb several weeks prior to coming to Australia, so it was something I decided to do on my own. However, my guide had previously done the bridge climb, too. Of course, he has been to 32 countries and camped in all 50 states, so what hasn't he done?

I had a few questions if you're not tired of answering them!!

DH and I are planning on Australia either 2009 or 2010 and we'd just stumbled across ABD...I was wondering if you thought this was a good way to see Australia, and if the price was reasonable (we thought it really was, considering how much things added up to.) We've never been there before and we were a little overwhelmed by what to do, so we thought ABD would be a good way to see everything...what did you think?

Also, for the Great Barrier Reef, we love to snorkel and see fish and we were considering arriving a few days early and staying on the reef to see it ourselves first...or do you think you saw enough on the day ABD does it?

Sorry for the mass of questions, it's just a big chunk of change for us, and we might never get back so we want to do as much as possible!!!

Thanks for your questions. I don’t mind answering at all!

I would definitely say that ABD is a good way to see Australia. My DH and I were planning our own trip to Australia before we found ABD, too. I was getting so bogged down with all the choices (what cities? which hotels? etc.), that we almost gave up on the idea. That, and, as you say, the price was really starting to add up. We also appreciated the fact that my hubby wouldn’t have to drive while we were there, because he was a bit nervous about that aspect.

I had read a few guidebooks on Australia and some of the things I had already selected to do were included on the ABD trip: skyrail over the rainforest, butterfly sanctuary, Great Barrier Reef, trip to Aborigine cultural center. After the trip, I realized that some of my favorite things on the ABD trip were things I would have never picked out myself, like the camel ride. Plus, ABD is able to give you access to things in ways you would never get it on your own. This “value added” service makes the cost much more reasonable.

As for the Great Barrier Reef, it is difficult for me to advise you. This was one of the things I was most looking forward to, but didn’t come close to being the most fun experience on the trip. If you have read this thread, I think I described the rough conditions and the fact that we had to change plans and go to a different locale then we originally anticipated. Because of this, I am not sure how closely my experience would compare to yours. As for the reef itself, it is a lot of coral, but far fewer fish than I saw when I snorkeled in Hawaii. I don’t know if that is due to the storm that day, or if you have to scuba to really see the fish at the reef. I would suggest doing further research on dive companies and such. If you really love to snorkel, you may want to add time, because we really only had a couple of hours in the water. The tour with the marine biologist was maybe an hour after we all got suited up and then we had maybe another hour after we ate a quick lunch to snorkel on our own. Maybe there is another location which is better for seeing fish, I am not sure. They are blocking me when I try to post what company we boated with, but if you want to know, PM me and I can tell you.

Thanks for answering my questions...I think ABD is the way to go for us...hmmm...now just need to save up!!! For the Great Barrier Reef, I think maybe we'll get there a few days earlier so we can spend some time there - we've been snorkelling in Hawaii too and it was awesome, so many fishies and turtles, I have high hopes for the GBR, so maybe we'll check it out for ourselves! Thanks again...I think you just made our mind up for us! :cool1:

My family did the Australia trip in August. We also had Mike as our guide and he is absolutely fabulous!!! My entire family had an amazing time!

We also did the bridge climb, but it was winter in Australia when we went. It was slightly windy for us, so we dressed warm.

The Great Barrier Reef for us was awesome. Mike was great with the kids and made sure they all got to go out and see fish, actually he is the only reason my daughter went in the water, so we are very grateful. You pretty much spend a day on the reef, so we didn't go in early to do that.

Some other cool things we did when we were there early/late was we went to a Sydney Swans game (australian rules football) Cairns Palm Cove Zoo (a very interactive zoo, you can hold koalas and feed kangaroos and wallabys) rented a sailboat in cairns, shopping in sydney, and a lot of walking around. I could have spent longer in Uluru and MUCH longer in Sydney.

Hi! I'm leaving in a couple of weeks (EEEEEP!!!) and have a couple of questions.

I've tried to get details for the CNS-AYE and AYE-SYD flights that are within the trip, but haven't had any luck. Are they charter flights on little regional jets or did they book you on Qantas? What food options did you get for the meals that they say will be served on these flights? Also, was there any in-flight entertainment?

What restaurant hosted your dinner the first night at Sydney? I've seen conflicting information.

Was there anything you'd forgotten to bring that you regretted not having? Was there anything you regretted bringing along because you didn't need it?

Thanks!

The flights from Cairns to Uluru and Uluru to Sydney are booked on Quantas. If I remember correctly, you just receive snacks and there is no in-flight entertainment. They are both short flights, and really enjoy the view from teh plane before landing! The first night in Sydney is at the Summit (a semi-formal restaurant. I wore white jeans and nice top, for men/boys collared shirts) It is very cool restaurant and an amazing trip! Enjoy!!

Bring lots of sunscreen! We were there in the winter and Cairns was soooo hot, so I can only imagine it will be insane right now. I also hear sydney and uluru get pretty high temp. during the summer.

Bring one semi nice outfit

enjoy your trip!!!

travelingirlie, can you tell me about your experience snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef? It's one of the things we're really looking forward too, but I'm a bit nervous about it as well. I have an 8-year-old who is a good swimmer, but a little overconfident in my opinion. Do you remember the name of the tour company that handled the snorkeling trip? I'd like to check out their website, if they have one.

Just returned from the December 20th discovery down under trip on January 1 so thought I'd answer while things are still fresh.

The tour company used for the reef is quick silver and they visit the Low Isles. They shuttle you to the island for snorkelling and have lifeguards on shore so they keep a close eye on everybody.

For the flights to/from Ayers Rock. I think Qantas has been making changes to the flights recently so we only had entertainment from Ayers Rock to Sydney. Lunch was a chicken salad & cucumber sandwich from Ayers Rock and Roast Beef & cucumber from Cairns. Lunch service was better when departing Cairns even though it was a smaller aircraft. The plane we flew on from Cairns was a Boeing 717 and a 737-800 from Ayers Rock.

We heard that the first dinner in Sydney for the 2009 trips will be held at Nicks in Darling Harbour instead of the summit but not sure when this goes into effect. While the view at the Summit was great the service was incredibly slow.

For the snorkeling, they offer life jackets and noodles so my 8y/o used both, even though she is a good swimmer and my 12y/o son used a noodle. I used a noodle as well. The water is all waist deep, but the problem is, you aren't allowed to stand, because you could 1. cut your feet or 2. ruin the reef. As said above, the company was called quick silver i'm pretty sure. I also really recommend the glass-bottom boat tour. I snorkeled in the beginning and then got lunch, then did the boat tour.
Have an amazing time!!!!

*The flights are probably changed every single time. I know that ours were messed up, and we were not able to do one activity in Sydney :(

Just returned from the December 20th discovery down under trip on January 1 so thought I'd answer while things are still fresh.

For the flights to/from Ayers Rock. I think Qantas has been making changes to the flights recently so we only had entertainment from Ayers Rock to Sydney. Lunch was a chicken salad & cucumber sandwich from Ayers Rock and Roast Beef & cucumber from Cairns. Lunch service was better when departing Cairns even though it was a smaller aircraft. The plane we flew on from Cairns was a Boeing 717 and a 737-800 from Ayers Rock.

We heard that the first dinner in Sydney for the 2009 trips will be held at Nicks in Darling Harbour instead of the summit but not sure when this goes into effect. While the view at the Summit was great the service was incredibly slow.

Thanks for the information! I wonder if there's any options for special dietary requests on the flights (vegetarian perhaps?) since I don't eat beef. Is there a chance to buy a sandwich in the airport before the flight?

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that since the 1/24/09 trip is technically a 2008 trip we'll get to eat at the Summit. The menu looked much nicer than Nick's and I don't mind slow service for the incredible view.

Thanks for the information! I wonder if there's any options for special dietary requests on the flights (vegetarian perhaps?) since I don't eat beef. Is there a chance to buy a sandwich in the airport before the flight?

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that since the 1/24/09 trip is technically a 2008 trip we'll get to eat at the Summit. The menu looked much nicer than Nick's and I don't mind slow service for the incredible view.

I did see some people on the flight provided with vegetarian meals so I'd call ABD and make the request. Not sure what the meal was but it wouldn't take much to beat the sandwiches :) The domestic terminal in Cairns had a few options for food but we only had around 20 minutes before our departure. I don't believe Qantas was letting people take drinks on board (except for water bottles) so food could be an issue as well - check with your guides. There's one souvenir store and one store selling beer/wine/soft drinks & small snacks at Ayers Rock airport so don't expect much there.

The menu at the summit was pre-selected for the group so there are a few options. Think you're right that the remaining 2008 trips include the Summit. I'd hope the service is better for any remaining trips unless they were having some very unusual issues during our dinner as 3 hours for dinner after a long day was challenging. Worse case there is a bar at the summit so a quick detour for sunset another evening could provide you with the same view - although I didn't look if/when kids are allowed.

Qantas is full service and you can get your TA to request a special meal - there is usually a big list of options including vegetarian, vegan, wheat free, low fat, all fruit etc You don't get to choose specifics of what you want but just a type of meal. Edit - oops just realised you meant domestically - probably they will still have an option for meals I imagine.

You'll find Australia very vegetarian friendly, much more so than the US (or so I've found).

Thanks CJ-Sea and travelingirlie for the info. Now I'm worried about myself instead of my son, because I think I'm the one more likely to forget and try to stand in the waist deep water and destroy the beautiful natural resources. :eek:

Hi, I'm mostly vegetarian (I eat fish), and if you haven't done so already call AbD with your dietary restrictions. They are fantastic about this! I had plenty to eat everywhere we went (very veg friendly), and all the flights provided me with veggie options. The Cairns airport is a blur, but the Ayers Rock Resort has a delicious cafe with lots of salad and sandwich options.

Speaking of Ayers Rock/Uluru, you might want to pack a small container of shoe cleaner for your hiking boots/sneakers. They get filthy with the red dirt. We scrubbed ours back at the resort with soap and water. This resort is a good place to do laundry since your clothing and socks will be dusty, too, and the washer/dryers are free. (They charge in Sydney. Cairns has a free w/d in each unit.)

You will have the best time! The Guides are so amazing, and it is an absolutely incredible experience. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Just for the record, there was not washer/dryer in our room at Sea Temple. It might depend on how many people are in your group. We were only a couple, so we didn't have any large suite or anything.:)

yeah i do recommend calling about your dietary restrictions. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and our guides were fantastic about it. They made everything soooo easy!!!!

Yes, only the suites in Cairns have washer and dryer. Our kids and my mom had a suite and my husband and I had our own room, so we had washer and dryer in the kid's room.

For Uluru, don't bring white shoes!!! If you get the dirt in your clothes, soak them in warm water and laundry detergent. It does the trick.

The menu at the summit was pre-selected for the group so there are a few options. Think you're right that the remaining 2008 trips include the Summit. I'd hope the service is better for any remaining trips unless they were having some very unusual issues during our dinner as 3 hours for dinner after a long day was challenging. Worse case there is a bar at the summit so a quick detour for sunset another evening could provide you with the same view - although I didn't look if/when kids are allowed.

1/24 is an adults only trip, no kids to consider.

Wasn't really interested in the change to Nick's mostly because the website describes it as a "family restaurant" which is probably why they decided to switch there. But on an adults only I'd prefer the somewhat fancy place. The booklet we received lists the Summit as the restaurant but that doesn't mean it's true.

It was true...the Summit was very nice. The food was good and the view incredible. Service was a little off...just a little though. They brought me the wrong wine (it belonged to someone else at the table), were sort of slow with water and had slight confusion with the wine checks...but that was it.

Not a short dinner but it isn't meant to be.

There were sixteen guests on this tour, not a bad number at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter