Back with more questions and specifics

ProudSoccerMom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I posted a few months ago as we were beginning our search for a fifth wheel. We’ve traveled to several dealers and have learned a few things. And also have more questions, if anyone can offer some advice.

We have a Ford F-150 Limited. According to our owner’s manual, it can tow a gross vehicle combined weight of 17,000 pounds. Based on what we’ve learned so far, a 29 foot 5th wheel seems to be the maximum size we can tow. And we’ve
been told that washer/dryers aren’t possible within this size class. If this is the way it has to be, so be it. We’ll just pack extra clothes for those long trips out west.

Right now, the brand that we’ve seen the most of in our area is Montana. There are some 29 foot units that we’ve liked a lot, but we’d like to see other brands to compare. There hasn’t been a lot of inventory to see at the dealers we’ve gone to since demand is so high right now. But, I thought if someone had a recommendation, we could at least look online to start.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, the following really appeals to us: an open floor plan, separate living and dining/kitchen spaces and a loft sleeping area for kids. Sleeping spaces for up to 8, if possible, would be preferable. And, just in case
we can make it work, I’m still interested in that washer and dryer. I know these are pretty basic criteria, but we are still learning and trying to figure things out. So, I don’t think I can be more specific at this point.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Nina

Dont rely on the owners manual, run the vin through ford or something or look at the sticker in the drivers side door. That will have real numbers for your truck. Then shop for your camper. I will say that i dont have a 5th wheel , but f150s probably cant haul realy big stuff, and a washer and dryer adds weight. So they are probably right with that. Most campgrounds have washer and dryers if your not boondocking. So there is that.

To alleviate the washer and dryer, you could go for something like this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAOegQIOBAC&usg=AOvVaw1LLwS8myPe1ah-hjQFz6BB

We have a 41' 5er with washer and dryer hookups and this is still what we have instead. The way we travel doesn't require it. And we just don't travel long enough or have FHU often enough to justify a washer and dryer.

As for everything else, I'm not the weight police, but I wouldn't want to tow very far very often with the set up you propose. It's physically possible, absolutely. It's better than a tag trailer and a half ton. You will trade a lot of comfort and confidence for the driver and the passengers if you have more truck than you need, than just right.

I wouldn’t tow a fifth wheel with an F-150. We have a 28’ travel trailer and it’s barely capable of pulling it. If you can find something that weighs in the 7,500lbs range you’d be ok but you’ve got to remember that it’s not just the camper. You’re going to load in supplies like chairs, fans, etc. When we bought our F-150 I wasn’t planning on getting a camper. Now, even though we are technically within spec, I’m looking to upgrade to an F-250 or F-350. Please be careful. Overweight rigs are a huge source of accidents.

Unless you are planning on going full time in an RV, I’d forgo the washer and dryer. Pretty much every campground has laundry facilities or you can use a local laundromat.

I wouldn’t tow a fifth wheel with an F-150. We have a 28’ travel trailer and it’s barely capable of pulling it. If you can find something that weighs in the 7,500lbs range you’d be ok but you’ve got to remember that it’s not just the camper. You’re going to load in supplies like chairs, fans, etc. When we bought our F-150 I wasn’t planning on getting a camper. Now, even though we are technically within spec, I’m looking to upgrade to an F-250 or F-350. Please be careful. Overweight rigs are a huge source of accidents.

Unless you are planning on going full time in an RV, I’d forgo the washer and dryer. Pretty much every campground has laundry facilities or you can use a local laundromat.
Thank you!

Dont rely on the owners manual, run the vin through ford or something or look at the sticker in the drivers side door. That will have real numbers for your truck. Then shop for your camper. I will say that i dont have a 5th wheel , but f150s probably cant haul realy big stuff, and a washer and dryer adds weight. So they are probably right with that. Most campgrounds have washer and dryers if your not boondocking. So there is that.
Thank you!

Thank you!

You might take a look at the Grand Design 150 Series fifth wheels designed with the 1/2 ton pickup in mind.

Reflection 150 Series Fifth-Wheel Floorplans | Grand Design (granddesignrv.com)

I'm sure that many on here will tell you........don't take the salesman's word for it that your truck can pull it. Make sure you look at all the numbers.

Steve
Hi Steve, Thank you for your advice. Do you have any personal experience with the Grand Design series? I looked at the link and there are some floor plans that would work for us. Are these made specifically for the F-150? After reading the feedback from you and others, I’m starting to feel a little uneasy about our truck. The most important, unsaid thing to me is safety, and it never occurred to me that our truck wouldn’t be suitable for a fifth wheel. I’m so grateful for all of these responses, because there is so much we don’t yet know. All of this being said, after these last couple months of research and physically being inside of the fifth wheels, we’re getting more and more excited for the journey ahead.

Hi Steve, Thank you for your advice. Do you have any personal experience with the Grand Design series? I looked at the link and there are some floor plans that would work for us. Are these made specifically for the F-150? After reading the feedback from you and others, I’m starting to feel a little uneasy about our truck. The most important, unsaid thing to me is safety, and it never occurred to me that our truck wouldn’t be suitable for a fifth wheel. I’m so grateful for all of these responses, because there is so much we don’t yet know. All of this being said, after these last couple months of research and physically being inside of the fifth wheels, we’re getting more and more excited for the journey ahead.

We had a family member with a Grand Design. We liked what we saw so we read reviews. visited our local RV dealer and spent a lot of time, sans salesman looking at the Grand Design line. We even did a factory tour in Elkhart IN. Grand Design has an excellent track record for service after the sale from the factory. Our dealer has a pretty good service record. We have not had any issues after 2+ years of ownership.
We have the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. It is not in the 150 series but we did look at those before our purchase. We have a Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser. My numbers all fall in line for this model, even though we are getting close. This includes gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR), (truck and camper and all contents including gear, fuel, water and even passengers}. Gross vehicle weight rating (CVWR) of the truck. This includes all passengers and gear in the truck and the pin weight of the trailer that will be setting in the bed of the truck. Inside the driver door should be a sticker that also gives you the weight rating for each axel. There are many more numbers that more knowledgeable RVers could share and explain. IMHO, if either of the numbers that I mentioned did not fall within a safe range for your truck, I would look for another truck.
Here is a link that explains some of the numbers that you should look at.

GVWR, GTWR, GAWR, GCVWR...What's That? - Lower 48 In Tow

Steve

You will exceed your cargo carrying capacity long before you get to the tow rating. By the way, there is no defined test for tow ratings, so it along with dry weight are useless terms.
Use the gross maximum weight of trailer to determine pin weight, it is between 20 to 25 percent of that number.
Cargo Carrying Capacity is what you can add to your truck per manufacturer. If you add passengers it comes out of CCC, pin weight comes out of CCC, the weight of the hitch itself comes out of CCC. Put a toolbox in truckbed, comes out of CCC.
CCC does include driver and full fuel tank.

I hate to be a buzz killer but you dont have enough truck. Very few 5th wheels could fit within the capabilities of a 1/2 ton truck and none of them will have room for a washer/dryer. The limiting factor on the truck will be as stated above, Cargo capacity. Between the pin weight of even a small 5th wheel, the fuel, people and supplies you will likely never get the numbers to work.
I think your looking for a unicorn unless you are willing to drive a bigger truck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter