Baloo is finding his Bare Necessities of life (Comments Welcome)

Week 13: Fargo errr… Bayshore Marthon Training Plan
It was a good week, but I did have to cut my long run a little short on Sunday - had to get to my daughters dance competition. Her studio did really well!! And due to a recent binge of Ted Lasso (fantastic by the way!!!) I failed all week to get my runs done in the morning. So it was a lot of evening runs after work, which is fine but I always feel a little run down by the time I am getting ready to get my run in. I just struggle so much with being disciplined enough to go to bed early and run in the morning. A goal to continue to work on.

Getting excited to run Bayshore again, last time I ran it was 2017. Ironically, I finished that year a little under 4:30 and was pretty disappointed. 6 years later and my ‘A’ goal for the race is to go under 4:30! My worries are around maintaining my intervals - the race is pretty fast with a lot of very strong runners. Lots of folks going for BQ’s etc. There is a 6 hour limit on the course. I know I can get under that with no difficulty it just amps up my angst a little and makes me more self-conscious about my intervals. But I am going to set my plan, check my ego and run my race! And no matter what it is an absolutely gorgeous race.

4/24: No Run - 3.70 mile walk
4/25: 7 miles easy planned - completed 6.86 miles + 4.43 mile walk. Good run, a little faster than easy pace, but solid.
4/26: 6 miles easy planned - completed 5.17 miles
4/27: 6 miles marathon tempo - completed 6.5 miles + 2.27 miles walked
4/28: No Run - 2.35 miles walked
4/29: 5 miles easy - completed 5.55 miles, tempo work. First mile easy and then progressively quicker. 11:00-9:00. + 3.63 mile walk
4/30: 15 miles easy - completed 12.7 miles + 2.22 mile walk.

Week 14: Bayshore Marathon Training Plan

5/1: No Run
5/2: 5 miles hill work
5/3: 7 miles easy
5/4: 5 miles marathon pace
5/5: Rest
5/6: Rest
5/7: 20 miles easy

Bayshore Marathon Training Plan - Week 15

It was a pretty good week, started out well. All my mid-week runs went to plan and I felt pretty good. I took my planned rest day on Saturday in preparation for a 20 miler on Sunday. Unfortunately, Sunday left me feeling very shook. I had a horrible run on Sunday! My plan was to get up and get it done early. Alarm went off at 5, I got up and went down stairs to get ready. I guess I was not very awake as it took me like 5 minutes to recognize it was storming outside - lightning/thunder and torrential rain. Laid down on the couch, closed my eyes and it was 8am…. I got caught up in the happenings in the house until about 2pm when I finally headed out for my run. It was now sunny and muggy - gotta love Michigan. So I decided to drive to a local park with great trails and run in the shade of the trees.
IMG_1772.jpeg
Unfortunately, I immediately felt off, just not wanting to get started. I let my warm up go too long and when I got started I noticed that my effort felt out of balance for my pace. Breathing too hard for the effort, even for trails. Over the next two miles instead of getting better I just felt worse. By the time I got to 5 miles I was really struggling and at 6 miles I turned back, took short cuts and got back to my car at 10 miles and called it. I can’t think of a time I felt this bad in a run or when after running a few miles I could not find a grove. Drove home just feeling awful, not so much physically as mentally. What was that about? I have a marathon in three weeks - a bit of panic! Hoping for a better results this week I guess we shall see…. Here are my daily notes:

5/1: Rest, completed 5.54 mile walk
5/2: 5 miles hill work - completed 5.06 miles. Weird cold and rainy weather today - muddy run on the trails! I need to get out on the trails more!
5/3: 7 miles easy - completed 6.69, miles 1-5 easy, picked up last mile to marathon pace. Nice run. + 3.95 miles walked.
5/4: 5 miles marathon tempo - completed 5.52 miles, went a little faster than marathon pace - shooting for 10:15-10:20; but landed between 10:01-9:45 over the last four miles. So too fast, but felt good. + 3.35 miles walked.
5/5: Rest - walked 4.34 miles
5/6: Rest - walked 4.36 miles
5/7: 20 miles easy - disaster of a run…. Wheels completely came off. Felt week, tired, exhausted. Called it at 10 miles. + walked 3.40 miles

Plans for Week 16 - Bayshore Marathon Training
My long run this week is only 10 miles, which means on my last long run when I only completed 10 of 20 I will be going into Bayshore without a good long run in awhile. Leaves a bit anxious. But I am going to let that go and stick with the planned distances for the week. I am very hopeful that my runs will go as planned. Still really wondering about what happened on Sunday? But at least there is Kai and he is always good for a smile (and a lot of walks!)
IMG_1758.jpeg

5/8: Rest
5/9: 5 miles easy
5/10: 5 miles marathon pace
5/11: 5 miles hill work
5/12: Rest
5/13: 10 miles marathon pace
5/14: 6 miles easy

Unfortunately, I immediately felt off, just not wanting to get started. I let my warm up go too long and when I got started I noticed that my effort felt out of balance for my pace. Breathing too hard for the effort, even for trails. Over the next two miles instead of getting better I just felt worse. By the time I got to 5 miles I was really struggling and at 6 miles I turned back, took short cuts and got back to my car at 10 miles and called it. I can’t think of a time I felt this bad in a run or when after running a few miles I could not find a grove. Drove home just feeling awful, not so much physically as mentally. What was that about? I have a marathon in three weeks - a bit of panic! Hoping for a better results this week I guess we shall see…. Here are my daily notes:
I am definitely not an expert, but I think missing any one run - even your longest long run - makes only a very small difference in your overall training. Everyone has a bad run every once in a while, so don't panic!

Love the dog but sorry about the horrible run on Sunday. Probably good to call it. Sounds like there were many things that lead up to the bad run. Try to shake it off and move on. You have done marathons before so be thankful it is not an injury keeping you from the run. Those other marathons will give you the mental boost to run this next one.

Bayshore Marathon Training Plan - Week 15

It was a pretty good week, started out well. All my mid-week runs went to plan and I felt pretty good. I took my planned rest day on Saturday in preparation for a 20 miler on Sunday. Unfortunately, Sunday left me feeling very shook. I had a horrible run on Sunday! My plan was to get up and get it done early. Alarm went off at 5, I got up and went down stairs to get ready. I guess I was not very awake as it took me like 5 minutes to recognize it was storming outside - lightning/thunder and torrential rain. Laid down on the couch, closed my eyes and it was 8am…. I got caught up in the happenings in the house until about 2pm when I finally headed out for my run. It was now sunny and muggy - gotta love Michigan. So I decided to drive to a local park with great trails and run in the shade of the trees.
View attachment 759526

5/1: Rest, completed 5.54 mile walk
5/2: 5 miles hill work - completed 5.06 miles. Weird cold and rainy weather today - muddy run on the trails! I need to get out on the trails more!
5/3: 7 miles easy - completed 6.69, miles 1-5 easy, picked up last mile to marathon pace. Nice run. + 3.95 miles walked.
5/4: 5 miles marathon tempo - completed 5.52 miles, went a little faster than marathon pace - shooting for 10:15-10:20; but landed between 10:01-9:45 over the last four miles. So too fast, but felt good. + 3.35 miles walked.
5/5: Rest - walked 4.34 miles
5/6: Rest - walked 4.36 miles
5/7: 20 miles easy - disaster of a run…. Wheels completely came off. Felt week, tired, exhausted. Called it at 10 miles. + walked 3.40 miles

Plans for Week 16 - Bayshore Marathon Training
My long run this week is only 10 miles, which means on my last long run when I only completed 10 of 20 I will be going into Bayshore without a good long run in awhile. Leaves a bit anxious. But I am going to let that go and stick with the planned distances for the week. I am very hopeful that my runs will go as planned. Still really wondering about what happened on Sunday? But at least there is Kai and he is always good for a smile (and a lot of walks!)
View attachment 759527

5/8: Rest
5/9: 5 miles easy
5/10: 5 miles marathon pace
5/11: 5 miles hill work
5/12: Rest
5/13: 10 miles marathon pace
5/14: 6 miles easy

I'm thinking it was the T+D and trails that did you in for this run. Was this run one of the highest T+Ds you've had this year? And you say that it felt too hard "even for trails" - in my opinion, it was probably the lack of heat acclimation because it's spring and the extra effort being on a trail.

I've definitely had experiences like that. I agree with the others that while it's not idea, you'll probably be ok for your race. The extra effort that was involved in that aborted 20-miler probably helped keep your training load in the right area anyway.

I can't even fathom getting to 2pm and then going out for a run. So good on you for that. My body just doesn't want to run in the afternoon. Every PM run feels so much harder than in the morning. And the abrupt change from "Spring -" (cold, rainy) to "Spring +" (warm, muggy) is a killer.

Hope you've recovered and have a good week. Don't let one crap run get you down!

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles: Part 2
-Covers the following scenarios.
--4 hour runner choosing between Hansons Advanced and Higdon Advanced 2
--4 hour runner missing the last long run in Hansons Advanced: What truly happens to training load when you miss the last big training day???
--4 hour runner missing the entire peak week in Hansons Advanced: What truly happens to training load when you miss the entire peak week???
--4 hour runner who chooses to increase the long run in Hansons Advanced because 16 is just too short

Agree with others. I wouldn't worry about it too much. From a fitness perspective, it'll have a minimal impact since its the cumulative that matters more than any one single run. It will effect the peaking aspect though because there will be a little thrown off on the training load. But I wouldn't worry about that too much.

From personal experience, here was my peak week for the 2016 Wisconsin Marathon (link). I was suppose to do 17 miles at 8:33 pace, but felt off and didn't have a good run. I stopped at 8.5 miles and 9:00ish pace. The rest of the training plan was very consistent and this was one of the only bumps along the way. Then my recap from the race (link). I set a 10 min PR, bettered my 2015 time on the same course by 90 min, and beat the Vickers calculated predicted time by nearly 3 min. So despite having a bad last long run, I still was successful on race day.

Thanks all for the comments and support after my aborted run and subsequent panic! And my apologies for falling back into my bad habits of keeping up in this journal…

I leave soon to drive north for Bayshore Marathon tomorrow morning. I am anxious, not feeling as prepared as I wanted to feel. My goals remain the same sub 4:30; with fallbacks of just be faster than MW (sub 4:40) and in the words of my grandma “if it all goes to pot” well anything with a 4 as the first number will work.

I am running Marine Corp in October and what ever happens tomorrow I see it as a stepping stone to MCM in the fall. For now it is time to hit the road!

leave soon to drive north for Bayshore Marathon tomorrow morning. I am anxious, not feeling as prepared as I wanted to feel. My goals remain the same sub 4:30; with fallbacks of just be faster than MW (sub 4:40) and in the words of my grandma “if it all goes to pot” well anything with a 4 as the first number will work.

I am running Marine Corp in October and what ever happens tomorrow I see it as a stepping stone to MCM in the fall. For now it is time to hit the road!
You’ve got this! Enjoy the race, can’t wait to read about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter