Baloo is finding his Bare Necessities of life (Comments Welcome)

Have you ran the Fargo marathon previously? I didn't really know it existed but now I keep seeing ads for it. It's outside my usual radius for races but would definitely be an option for a weekend trip.

Went to the doctor this morning for the post surgery check-up. Good news: healing is going well. Bad news: When I asked how soon can I run her response “runners… No, two more weeks minimum!” She was pretty direct and firm. So, I think I am going to have to listen to her and follow her guidance.

So, it will be lots of walks for two more weeks and then hopefully I can ease back into my training plan. I was really hoping to put a full effort into the 10 miler at Spring Surprise, but I am going to have to adjust some I think. My last run was the Marathon, so it will end up being 5 weeks without a run. Ooooof!

Have you ran the Fargo marathon previously? I didn't really know it existed but now I keep seeing ads for it. It's outside my usual radius for races but would definitely be an option for a weekend trip.
It will be my first time. I originally signed up because I was looking for something in the spring to use my Dopey training as a launch point to hopefully push my time down some more. But after this 5 week hiatus, I think it is going to be, well, interesting. Still planning to run it - and I have only heard good things about the race. But may have to set different goals.

It will be my first time. I originally signed up because I was looking for something in the spring to use my Dopey training as a launch point to hopefully push my time down some more. But after this 5 week hiatus, I think it is going to be, well, interesting. Still planning to run it - and I have only heard good things about the race. But may have to set different goals.
I'm looking forward to hearing all about it! You may not be able to push it like you wanted, but you'll be the perfect person to rate the course in the fun factor.

I have been neglecting my journal. Not a lot to share unfortunately. I will begin running again next week, or some facsimile of running. It has now been a month sine the MW marathon and I have not run once. But I have been walking, everyday. This is my only option and it makes Kai (my dog) very happy as he has been my walking companion.

I will update on Sunday with next week's running plan. So excited to lace up my running shoes!

“Week 3: Spring Surprise/Fargo Marathon”
It is in parenthesis because it is only week three on paper. Given the past 5 weeks have been planned and unplanned rest and recovery, I am jumping into a plan that is at week three. But I am changing running times and work out types for weeks 3-5 and planning to be close to the original plan by week 6. Going to play it all by ear.

This is all due to the abdominal surgery I had and all though I am feeling really good and per doctor able to resume normal activities there is that small part of my brain saying take it easy. I am going to listen to that part of my brain and ease back into a running routine. The next two weeks will all just be easy runs with shorter run intervals. My doctor scared me enough about the outcome of having to do the surgery again and the length or that recovery that I will be a good patient and be, well, patient! So here is my plan for next week, hoping I remember how to tie the laces on my running shoes…

Last Week: 30(ish) miles walking Kai daily

Next Week:
2/13: No Run, walk Kai 3-4 miles
2/14: 3 miles easy pace - using 2:00/:30
2/15: 3 miles easy pace- using 2:00/:30
2/16: 3 miles easy- using 2:00/:30
2/17: No Run/walk Kai
2/18: No Run/walk Kai
2/19: 6 miles easy- using 2:00/:30

Week 3 of training plan for Spring Surprise & Fargo Marathon
This has been of the most surreal weeks of my life. Some of you know, but if you don’t, I am an alumnus and a staff member at Michigan State University. Monday evening all our lives were shattered by a gun man. Before the night was over three students were killed and five more were in critical condition. I have a daughter who is a sophomore at MSU. Normally both she and I would have been on campus at the time of the shooting. But here study group was cancelled and I had recently filled a vacancy on my team that releived me of covering a Monday evening shift. Thank goodness WDW ere both home. But I had team members at work and spent the next 4.5 hours relaying info to them and staying tied to the police scanner. Since campus has felt so different and we are working with our students and team members to help them feel a sense of normalcy. Bottom line though, I think the best we are going to get is a new normal.

Having worked on college campuses for most of my adult life I have to own that I never thought I would experience something like this were I work, let alone my alma mater. I am so grateful that my family and friends are safe. And I am grateful that I was cleared to start running this week. It has made a huge difference for me to be able to get out and run. Mental health and something else to think about.

Weekly totals
Walking: 26,56 miles
Running: 18.83 miles

2/13: No Run, Walked 3.63 miles.
2/14: 3 miles easy planned - No run…. Morning after the shootings on campus, horrible night. Was up pretty much all night connecting parents to residents, exhausting. Was not up to run, even with it being my first in over a month…. Completed evening walk - 3.49 miles.
2/15: 3 miles easy planned - 3.61 miles completed + 3.38 miles walked
2/16: 3 miles easy planned - 4.27 miles completed
2/17: Rest. Ran anyway - 4.48 miles completed + 3.24 miles walked. Beautiful evening for a run.
A0F51F8C-3B77-4329-92CD-C90D9DA5CB1A.jpeg
2/18: Rest - walk - 4.61 miles completed.
2/19: 6 miles easy - 6.37 miles completed. Ran too fast. I was not listening to my per mile pace and finished with the last three miles at my last marathon pace. Felt pretty good, but I need to watch this and slow down, that is going to be better for me for now. + 3.94 mile walk with Kai. :)

Week 4 Plan
2/20: Week 4 - Spring Surprise/Fargo Marathon - Rest
2/21: 4 miles easy
2/22: 5 miles easy
2/23: 4 miles easy
2/24: Rest
2/25: Rest
2/26: 7 miles easy

So sorry you're going through this. My partner survived the Route 91 Harvest festival in 2017 so I'm unfortunately very familiar with the emotions. Life will never be normal but you will find a new normal. Happy you're able to run again to clear your head when needed.

Week 3 of training plan for Spring Surprise & Fargo Marathon
This has been of the most surreal weeks of my life. Some of you know, but if you don’t, I am an alumnus and a staff member at Michigan State University. Monday evening all our lives were shattered by a gun man. Before the night was over three students were killed and five more were in critical condition. I have a daughter who is a sophomore at MSU. Normally both she and I would have been on campus at the time of the shooting. But here study group was cancelled and I had recently filled a vacancy on my team that releived me of covering a Monday evening shift. Thank goodness WDW ere both home. But I had team members at work and spent the next 4.5 hours relaying info to them and staying tied to the police scanner. Since campus has felt so different and we are working with our students and team members to help them feel a sense of normalcy. Bottom line though, I think the best we are going to get is a new normal.

Having worked on college campuses for most of my adult life I have to own that I never thought I would experience something like this were I work, let alone my alma mater. I am so grateful that my family and friends are safe. And I am grateful that I was cleared to start running this week. It has made a huge difference for me to be able to get out and run. Mental health and something else to think about.

So so fortunate that you and your daughter were not on campus. But as you said, you had colleagues there and of course all of the other students, faculty, and staff who were there had to deal with the tragedy.

Like you, I've been on a college campus for most - actually, ALL - of my adult life. But something about this shooting made me think "what if" more than prior ones. The next day, I reminded the students in our department about what to do in an active shooter situation (we are also run, hide, fight) and then when I went to teach class, I looked at our tables to see if they could be easily turned on their side in case they were needed as defense/barricades. No, not really. But why do we have to worry about this? The world is really crazy sometimes.

I hope you and your daughter are getting into a better headspace. As you say, I'm sure "normal" isn't going to happen for a long time, if ever.

All of that stress was felt up north too. Lots of kids from our area go to MSU, and my social media was pretty much blowing up for a good 12 hours with people trying to check on other people. Surreal times for sure. It's definitely OK to not be OK about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter