Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

Tuesday June 22, 2021

Today was a day we could actually sleep in - hurray! We were going to ride the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad (C&T going forward) which was next door to our campground property. The train didn't leave till 10am and we could walk to it so no rush this morning. :cloud9:

After some scrambled eggs and kielbasa, we set off on our brief walk. Going out the park entrance, I took a few pix.

Chama is proud of the C&T (as they should be). It brings a lot of tourists to the town.

It was only five minutes before we came to the C&T yard where we got our tickets (pre-ordered) and looked at the equipment in the yard.

Cute little depot to wait at.

In normal times, the C&T runs trains from both ends of its line, here in Chama NM and the other end in Antonio CO. The trains stop approximately mid-way at their lunch stop (included in price of ticket), arrive at the other end, and then charter busses pick up passengers and drive them back to their starting city. In this pandemic time, the trains start at both ends, run to the lunch stop a couple hours away, then turn around and train people back to their starting point (no bus involved). You miss half the scenery but still get a full day's train ride. So that was the operational plan for the day.

Time to roll to the next post already.

Bama Ed

Our locomotive #484 was already out and about this morning shunting cars around, tooting and whistling and ringing the bell where appropriate, and building the consist it would haul into the mountains.

This was our car to ride in (again, drop down windows on a beautiful day).

Here's something you don't see every day in Alabama: a rotary snow plow for the C&T. Recently restored, completely operational, it clears the snow off the tracks for its winter trips.

Our car, once we boarded, was similar to the one yesterday.

However, we were the FIRST car behind the locomotive and tender so there was plenty of smoke, ash, and cinders coming through the open windows. It smelled so GOOD!

We set out across the bridge next to our campground and through the aspen groves and open valleys as we began the climb into Colorado (Chama is only five miles from the state line as the crow flies). Several cars followed us on a nearly parallel highway and took pics/vid at every crossing available (steam fans?) as far as they could. Somebody was trailing us flying a drone taking video I guess. Here is a chase car and drone in this pic.

As we climbed, the views got better.

Let's push on.

Bama Ed

Tuesday June 22, 2021 continued

It was obvious to me the difference in yesterday's train ride and this one. Yesterday, once you got into the mountains on the Durango & Silverton, you didn't see many far away views except maybe down a river gorge or a rare break at the top of the mountains for much of the way. But the Cumbres & Toltec ride was mostly in scenic grass valleys with wooded/rocky slopes which produced tremendous views and scenery. No rushing river to follow like yesterday. So they were completely different trips.

Higher and higher.

Looking forwards and backwards.

We reached our highest point of the ride at Cumbres Pass (barely over 10,000 ft elevation) which is also another location along the Continental Divide. There's a water tank there and a small depot next to the highway.

And we took on some water there. Being in the front car made for great pix.

Is it time roll over to the next post already? Well alright let's go!

Bama Ed

Tuesday June 22, 2001 continued

More running along green valleys. Occasionally you see some cabins in the distance or a 2-lane highway with a power line at times.

Interestingly, a little gas speeder trailed us by a quarter mile or so the whole trip. It's role is to watch the smoke stack and any burning ember that might hit the ground (it glows orange on its way down) is doused. So it's a fire prevention tool.

Finally our lunch stop, Osier, came into view.

Although Osier is in Colorado, both the New Mexico and Colorado flags fly at Osier and both flags are part of the C&T logo scheme.

Time to hop off our ride and get some lunch. Our train would turn around on a nearby loop for the journey back to Chama afterword. Here's an empty train pic (panorama style).

Lunch options were a cafeteria style experience of a meatloaf meal, a turkey/dressing meal (ding ding), or soup/salad meal.

And they let me get TWO desserts! :cool1:

Hang in there. Almost done.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Tuesday June 22, 2021 continued

While the lines took a while to serve, we were seated finally and the food was actually not bad. That's when the train coming in to Osier from Antonito CO (the other end of the C&T) arrived with its passengers so we vacated the tables to make room and took pics of their loco #489 outside.

These are big machines for still being narrow gauge.

The caboose was an add-on today on our train for some group that had privately rented it.

Finally our #484 train was turned around and ready to take us back to Chama.

We rode back over the way we'd come in, crossed the state line and the bridge at our campground, and walked back. The gift shop there was not as extensive as yesterday but still got a few souvenirs. They say late September into the first week of October is the time to see the leaves change colors here. Finally, the Cumbres & Toltec is rated the #1 Scenic Train Ride in the US in most lists and I support that conclusion based on 35 years of riding trains (especially behind steam locomotives).

Thanks for hanging in with me these last two days which were each multiple posts. They won't be so long going forward.

Bama Ed

@bama_ed absolutely fabulous pictures. The high cliff edge pics were my favorites. Not being a fan of heights :oops: , I can understand your instincts to lean back away from the edges.

Continued safe travels,

Steve

Ed, beautiful pictures and great report. We need to put that on as a new destination spot. Safe travels.

Wednesday June 23, 2021

Yes today was "moving day". Our plan was to leave Chama this morning and set up again in Santa Fe this afternoon and that's how it turned out. But as I tend to do, I "stuff" more things in along the way. We were basically retracing part of our steps on the initial drive in to Chama but due to the trains schedule (when they ran or didn't run) we had to pass through Santa Fe initially and come back to it today.

Gratefully, the run down hill to Santa Fe was easier towing and the landscape was even more beautiful (and stark) in appearance heading that direction (south). Passing through Espanola I bought gas and groceries at the same Wal-Mart Supercenter again (parked next to an Airstream and there were several RV's shopping there - it must be an oasis for us campers). There were two chapels in the area we visited but we got down to Santa Fe about 230pm in the afternoon. My research had led me to choose the Trailer Ranch RV Park on Cerrillos Road (every store/grocery/hotel/gas/retail location I could ever need is on Cerrillos Road. Somewhere.). And it was a great choice.

We were assigned #6 which was across from the comfort station and near the office. Since Santa Fe is basically in the desert, the sites are all gravel and the park buildings are done in the adobe style to meet local zoning laws.

That's us above just to the right of the blue sign with the white Yukon.

Here was our site (pull-through):

The afternoon was for laundry and relaxing in the shade then planning our two days of sight-seeing in Santa Fe mostly around the Plaza area which is the center of town. Santa Fe was founded three years after the English came to Jamestown, Virginia (1610) so it has centuries of continuous history and is famous for its art galleries and shopping opportunities.

I had spent an afternoon around the Santa Fe Plaza four decades ago on a Boy Scout trip to Philmont Scout Ranch and thought DW would like it. And I even remembered the restaurant's name we ate lunch at for its blue corn tortillas (it was still there 41 years later). As a kid in Ohio and Alabama, I had been fascinated by some of the western stories like the Pony Express, the Santa Fe Trail, Lewis and Clark, and building the Transcontinental Railroad (not a shocker, that one).

So the next two days would be relaxed touring around Santa Fe.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
So jealous

Ya'll got to wait till ya'll are old like me. Then you can stay in the hip "over-55" rv parks like I did in Santa Fe.

And you can join us on Thursday nights at the Senior Citizen's Center for Dance Night!

giphy.gif

Seriously, I plan as having as much fun as I legally and morally can while I still can.

ED

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter