Best Consumable Gifts

wgeo

DIS Veteran
So this thread is inspired by the "what don't you want to get as gifts thread". It seems like a lot of people don't want to get knick knacks and "stuff" that they just won't use. So as some of us get older and can afford to purchase the things that we really want and so we don't really Need anything - what are great consumable gift ideas to give?

My husband is in a job where he receives a lot of small gifts - and I swear if he gets one more box of chocolates I might cry, he doesn't eat them - and then I do. :upsidedow

But in all seriousness, I would love to give people ideas for gifts that are consumable that are NOT gift cards because it seems like some people just can't bring themselves to give gift cards because they think they're not thoughtful enough? :confused3 Any ideas?

Looking forward to the replies but I don't have any ideas. I'd rather get a gift card than a box of candy or a bath set in a scent I don't like with products I don't use. We're doing secret snowman at work and while each participant will have an info card to fill out I may still need some ideas :-) I'm also trying to figure out how to nicely fill my card out. Favorite scent is one of the lines and I don't do candles etc so I'm not sure if it's better to leave it blank or that I don't like scented stuff.

I like consumables too nice to buy myself...so, things that make me happy (note, I love cooking:))...
- a bottle of Ice Wine
- a bottle of dipping oil
- a bottle of very aged balsamic
- a spice I'm too cheap to buy - like saffron or a gourmet ethnic spice set
- finishing salts
- Godiva truffles - if it's gonna be chocolate, it's gotta be Godiva (or better)
- Mini alcohol bottles of DiSorreno Amoretto, Frangelico, or Bailey's Irish Cream
- Chocolate dipped fruit (preferably strawberries)

If I move out of edibles...I enjoy a fresh flower that isn't a carnation (but not a delivered one - I'm very happy with the supermarket or guy on the street), Aromatherapy bubble bath, and some nice liquid hand soaps...

I don't wear makeup or perfume or use skin products (other than soap and bubble bath) or light candles or use potpourri, so most consumables others would love, I tend to skip...I mean, I'd rather get DeIcer and Ice Melt - that would actually make me pretty happy:)...

I like boxes of GOOD chocolate. But I'm not a big Godiva fan - See's is my favorite to receive (and give)!

Coffee and/or tea assortments can be good, but you really need to know the person to pull that sort of thing off. For example, I generally don't drink coffee but do drink tea. But only real tea, not herbal.

Good cakes, cookies, fruit, etc are good too - but quality is the key.

• Expensive hair care, like Aveda
  • Massage or pedicure gift cert
    • Even better if the appointment is already arranged
  • Wine or liquor
  • Homemade candy, like fudge or peanut brickle
  • A snow shoveling or lawn care service
  • House cleaning service- pre-arranged
  • Car washes certificates or oil change certificates

So this thread is inspired by the "what don't you want to get as gifts thread". It seems like a lot of people don't want to get knick knacks and "stuff" that they just won't use. So as some of us get older and can afford to purchase the things that we really want and so we don't really Need anything - what are great consumable gift ideas to give?

My husband is in a job where he receives a lot of small gifts - and I swear if he gets one more box of chocolates I might cry, he doesn't eat them - and then I do. :upsidedow

But in all seriousness, I would love to give people ideas for gifts that are consumable that are NOT gift cards because it seems like some people just can't bring themselves to give gift cards because they think they're not thoughtful enough? :confused3 Any ideas?

For the last 10 - 15 years, I've been making up my own gifts baskets for my parents, mother-in-law and grandmothers (while they were still alive). I will pick up things like Christmas themed note paper, pens, kleenex, liquid hand soap, napkins, paper plates, add some favourite chocolates, cookies, crackers, tea or hot chocolate and tie everything up in clear plastic wrap with a big bow. Everyone always says they like receiving these baskets and I think it's because I tailor each one to the recipient. I find that a lot of the premade gift baskets that you can purchase have some things that are great, some others that are so so and then a few that no one I know would ever use. Most of the people in my family have pretty simple tastes so would far rather have a basket full of products and flavours they recognize than a more exotic one.

Looking forward to the replies but I don't have any ideas. I'd rather get a gift card than a box of candy or a bath set in a scent I don't like with products I don't use. We're doing secret snowman at work and while each participant will have an info card to fill out I may still need some ideas :-) I'm also trying to figure out how to nicely fill my card out. Favorite scent is one of the lines and I don't do candles etc so I'm not sure if it's better to leave it blank or that I don't like scented stuff.

In that situation I would maybe add a line like "allergic (or sensitive) to fragrance so no scented candles please" or something like that

I like consumables too nice to buy myself...so, things that make me happy (note, I love cooking:))...
- a bottle of Ice Wine
- a bottle of dipping oil
- a bottle of very aged balsamic
- a spice I'm too cheap to buy - like saffron or a gourmet ethnic spice set
- finishing salts
- Godiva truffles - if it's gonna be chocolate, it's gotta be Godiva (or better)
- Mini alcohol bottles of DiSorreno Amoretto, Frangelico, or Bailey's Irish Cream
- Chocolate dipped fruit (preferably strawberries)

If I move out of edibles...I enjoy a fresh flower that isn't a carnation (but not a delivered one - I'm very happy with the supermarket or guy on the street), Aromatherapy bubble bath, and some nice liquid hand soaps...

I don't wear makeup or perfume or use skin products (other than soap and bubble bath) or light candles or use potpourri, so most consumables others would love, I tend to skip...I mean, I'd rather get DeIcer and Ice Melt - that would actually make me pretty happy:)...

Some good ideas here - thx.

I like boxes of GOOD chocolate. But I'm not a big Godiva fan - See's is my favorite to receive (and give)!

Coffee and/or tea assortments can be good, but you really need to know the person to pull that sort of thing off. For example, I generally don't drink coffee but do drink tea. But only real tea, not herbal.

SEEEEEE - chocolate is tricky! Because some people love one brand and others don't!

Have you ever done any fruit of the month type deals?

I buy Hickory Farms Jam sampler sets and add some fresh bagels or specialty cream crackers. Sometimes I will add special Christmas spreaders (knives).
Hugs Mel

294c5ebae90f7c690e55420f81f8be4d.jpg

upload_2017-11-26_21-5-37.jpeg

Don't get me wrong - I would totally eat a box of Godiva if someone gave them to me but I would prefer See's :thumbsup2

And I would totally eat See's...and I only like the Godiva truffles, so the plain old chocolates don't get it done:)...

But avoid the Hershey's box, the Whitman's box, the generic box...if I'm gonna have chocolate, it's gotta be something I'm not gonna take the time to ever make (I do those crazy truffle flavors where I have a variety and eat 1 of each and am good:)...

My Grandfather who no longer needs anything, I buy him lots of cookies. His place is usually the gathering place in his senior apartment complex so he enjoys having the various cookies that aren't from the grocery store (like his standard keebler pecan cookies). I usually go to Costco and get some of the European cookies.

I'm also with TwoMisfits and would love some of the cooking items like various spices or the vinegars. But I think you really need to know the person in order to buy them that sort of gift.

DH likes hot sauces and he usually ends up getting a few bottles at Christmas from family as a filler gift.

ROFL- didn't read the comments before I posted fellow See's lover!

...But avoid the Hershey's box, the Whitman's box, the generic box...if I'm gonna have chocolate, it's gotta be something I'm not gonna take the time to ever make (I do those crazy truffle flavors where I have a variety and eat 1 of each and am good:)...
#truth too many wonderful things to eat during the holiday season to waste the calories on the Hershey's/Whitman's etc :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter