Best store bought spaghetti sauce

I start with Prego Traditional, add a four ounce can of tomato paste, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, a tablespoon of oregano and a teaspoon of rosemary. I like a sauce with some thickness and a strong tomato flavor. I usually add one finely chopped onion and some sort of meat (usually ground beef or Italian sausage) as well.

Raos is a little expensive for me. I only buy Prego on a BOGO sale.
You might as well make your own with onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. The reason rao’s is so good is because that’s all it has in it.

I think Elena has been putting Walmart sauce in an empty Rao’s jar recently. ;)

I buy whatever mid-range brands only when they’re on sale. Prego, Classico, etc. Not Ragu anymore.

I have to agree with the majority here. Rao's is amazing.

San Marzano's line of pasta sauces are really good to; not quite Rao, but close.
Barilla Vero Gusto line is pretty good too.

Rao's is *very* expensive. I get the large jars of Marinara at Costo and I think it works out to be about $5.50 per jar. Everyday price in the grocery store is about $8.99 per jar and I won't pay that. My favorite blend is the Italian Sausage and Mushroom and it's very homemade tasting. About once a month, the Safeway seems to have it for $5.99 a jar with a store club card.
Yeah, that's what it cost around me also. I tried it, too much extra junk in it for spaghetti sauce.

If I'm using canned sauce, just basic Hunts Traditional.

Barilla's is okay. I haven't bought it since I moved to New Jersey though so I can't say for sure if the quality has gone down. I make my own using my uncle's recipe. I make a huge pot of it once a month and then freeze it in portions in case I have a recipe that calls for spaghetti sauce.

I like the Ragu Garden Combination with Onion and Garlic. And then I doctor it up quite a bit to make it even better. But I find it the best base when making spaghetti sauce.

We buy Raos with one rule: it's not to be used in anything where you start adding things and tweaking the flavoring. For that, might as well use some canned tomatoes. But for marinara straight from the jar, it's fantastic. We have the rule because it's so expensive. It's a convenience food, so it needs to be treated as one rather than as an ingredient.

I typically skim past a cooking thread like this, but did open this one. Marie used to (for like 45 years) always make her own, amazing! But in search of convenience, time-saving and very improved tasting store bought sauces, she does buy now. I think usually Newman's. Based on this thread, I did put a jar of Rao in my Walmart online curbside pickup for later today or tomorrow.

I like Newman's Own a lot - Sockarooni is a favorite.

I also actually really like the plain cans of Hunt's tomato sauce, but I usually dress those up myself. They make a decent base though.
Great sauce - I might be able to make a better one, but it's good enough that I'll never bother to try. It has no preservatives or sugar, if that matters to anybody. It's also noteworthy that all the Newman's Own products are for charity with a 100% of profits being donated. :lovestruc
Newman's Own Foundation | Total Giving (newmansownfoundation.org)
I think Elena has been putting Walmart sauce in an empty Rao’s jar recently. ;)

I buy whatever mid-range brands only when they’re on sale. Prego, Classico, etc. Not Ragu anymore.
Hey Elena, sub it out with Newman's Own and you'll have a better sauce and still get to pocket a buck or two difference. ;)

I like Newman's Own a lot - Sockarooni is a favorite.
Another vote for Newman's own Sockarooni. But my wife prefers making her own in the crockpot and letting it simmer all day. So simple to make. I am not familiar with Raos, but may have to try it.

Rao's is one of those odd things where I was highly skeptical that anything would be worth spending that much money. However, I got some pretty cheap once on sale and it was as good as anything I've ever had, including at a restaurant. I'm not so sure exactly what they're doing right, but it is made in Italy, and it's probably made to order by a specific supplier.

Spending a whole lot may not do anything either. I once tried Barilla's expensive pasta sauce because I got it for free (some sort of freebie coupon at Safeway) and I was left wondering why anyone would consider spending $6 on a jar. Really nice packaging though.

tomato-basil-shadow-front-2020.png

Rao's is always good; but a bit pricey for me. The Priano brand from Aldi aren't too bad. I also just bought some Muir Glen sauce from the local food co-op and it was really good. It was $2.50 a jar on-sale and I think this is going to be my go-to for now on.

I know this isn't about pizza sauce, but if you are looking for the best our food-coop sells a brand called Field Day. I actually prefer making my own pizza now instead of take out because it's that good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter