Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

You got me thinking. How much has our cost per night gone up in the last decade?

Here's our numbers. This is all in. Flights, food, tickets, lodging (We always stay onsite and eat on property. No rental car). Family of 5

As you can see, the last two years have taken a HUGE jump, especially this year due to G+ and loss of Magical Express (those combined are a $800 hit).

Before you blame the big jump in the last two years on staying Deluxe, it's not true. We've rented DVC points both times which actually got us UNDER moderate resort costs. The big adders are the ticket, resort, and food prices overall. (and this year the additional G+ and Mears Express)

-Dan
Cost per nightNumber of nightsResort levelOffers
2010$ 5717ValueFree Dining
2011$ 5408ValueFree Dining
2012 $ 6288Moderate (POR. Cheaper than two rooms at POP)Free Dining
2013$ 6189Moderate (POR. Cheaper than two rooms at POP)Free Dining
2015$ 7198Moderate (POR. Cheaper than two rooms at POP)Free Dining
2016$ 7929Moderate (POR. Cheaper than two rooms at POP)Resort Discount
2018 $ 76010ValueFree QS
2021$ 94610Deluxe* DVC rentalNone
2022$ 1,1018Deluxe* DVC rentalNone
We are DVC and I try to save $1000 in spending money for our family of three for a seven day trip. Prior to this year, $1000 went a long way in covering food and souvenirs. Now, more than half of that will go to transportation and genie plus. I could save more so we could have the same trip as before, but the fact of the matter is I just don’t want to cough up even more money for the same trip I’m used to. We will eat on the cheap and forgo souvenirs. None of this will hurt Disney though, it will just hurt our family’s experience. Since we are dvc, none of our extra cost is due to accommodations. It’s interesting seeing your financial breakdown.

We are DVC and I try to save $1000 in spending money for our family of three for a seven day trip. Prior to this year, $1000 went a long way in covering food and souvenirs. Now, more than half of that will go to transportation and genie plus. I could save more so we could have the same trip as before, but the fact of the matter is I just don’t want to cough up even more money for the same trip I’m used to. We will eat on the cheap and forgo souvenirs. None of this will hurt Disney though, it will just hurt our family’s experience. Since we are dvc, none of our extra cost is due to accommodations. It’s interesting seeing your financial breakdown.

Amen. We'll find out this summer if Disney finally has us priced out. Last year we were ok justifying the higher cost because we had pent up travel desire due to Covid.

Sadly, at some point WDW won't be worth the cost. That might be this year. We'll see. We'll move onto more cruises and other vacations like touring Europe, Australia, etc...

It's sad really, because we have so much nostalgia and memories from all of our trips. 😔😢

Dan

You got me thinking. How much has our cost per night gone up in the last decade?

Here's our numbers. This is all in. Flights, food, tickets, lodging (We always stay onsite and eat on property. No rental car). Family of 5

As you can see, the last two years have taken a HUGE jump, especially this year due to G+ and loss of Magical Express (those combined are a $800 hit).

Before you blame the big jump in the last two years on staying Deluxe, it's not true. We've rented DVC points both times which actually got us UNDER moderate resort costs. The big adders are the ticket, resort, and food prices overall. (and this year the additional G+ and Mears Express)

-Dan
Cost per nightNumber of nightsResort levelOffersTicket Type
2010$ 5717ValueFree DiningBasic
2011$ 5408ValueFree DiningBasic
2012$ 6288ModerateFree DiningBasic
2013$ 6189ModerateFree DiningBasic
2015$ 7198ModerateFree DiningPH and Water Park
2016$ 7929ModerateResort DiscountWater Park
2018$ 76010ValueFree QSPH and Water Park
2021$ 94610Deluxe*NonePark Hopper
2022$ 1,1018Deluxe*NoneBasic

View attachment 644416
I love this breakdown. I've got data from the last few years that I put on a spreadsheet, and our cost per night is going up similarly. Love to see someone else digging into the data.

I LOVE Disney. Its so deeply integrated into my childhood memories. I've loved bringing that same magic to my children's childhood- but I am so sad.

SAME! Even if I sound like a bitter old B. Im really feeling heartbroken by the direction and negative changes.

The changes being made are disgraceful at this point. We stayed at the YC in July and being told that they cannot remove the trash full of dirty diapers or wipe down the counter that was sticky upon arrival on a 5 night stay that cost upwards of 700 a night on the grounds that its for "health and safety" is absurd. Having festering trash sit for days in a less than 400 sq ft room is not good for "health and safety". This is all while the room costs are skyrocketing. I remember thinking 400+ was expensive for a room just a few years ago. I hate how quickly I've accepted and adjusted to prices over double this. Loving Disney for the nostalgia and giving my kids the experience is what keeps us coming back.

This must be challenged. Disney crams many of us far closer together in tighter quarters unmasked to dine so they can make their money in QS and TS restaurants and far closer together on rides, albeit masked indoors, so having housekeeping in your room - while you are not - should not adversely impact anyone’s health and safety anymore than the other practices they subject servers, bussers, hosts, ride personnel and guests to BECAUSE THEY ARE MONEY MAKERS. At this point in the pandemic with the return of the aforementioned, it is incredibly transparent that the limited housekeeping is purely to save Disney money. And it is despicable of them to state otherwise.

The Nickle and diming is out of control. I was upset when they started charging for parking at resorts- to me this was the first sign of what was to come. My mother said "its only a few dollars a day..." but now everything is "only a few dollars a day" and suddenly a trip is costing hundreds, if not thousands more than it was just a few years ago.

Agreed. It all adds up and I feel for the families who can no longer afford or could not ever afford a Disney vacation. Sadly at most levels a Disney vacation is a luxury expense.

But Inclusion is their new 5th key! You can be You Here - if you’re wealthy enough!

A few thoughts:
  • People are 100% right to feel like they are getting less value than 2020, let alone pre-pandemic. Staffing is worse, prices are higher, particularly for food. No magical express is a huge deal particularly if Uber isn’t an iotion
  • Standby waits are unquestionably longer with G+ around than without it, I don’t see how anyone could argue the contrary. However, if you’re using G+, your average time in line should be shorter because of the times you get to the cut line with G+. So for people not buying G+/ILL, their value is diminished via longer waits. For those buying it, their value should be increased, but they are paying more for that value, so to each their own on that trade off.
  • For those of you buying G+ but that feel they are getting on fewer rides than before G+, that’s not an issue with G+, that’s just an issue with more people feeling comfortable to travel.
  • The 7am thing is annoying, but there’s no perfect solution there. In Disneyland, you can’t book LLs until you enter the park, there’s no time window. That works in Disneyland because more guests are frequent attendees/APs. If you did that in WDW, it would just make rope dropping even more valuable (not only can you rope drop ROTR but you also get first dibs to buy the ILL for it for later!) and you’d have issues with crowding and transport at rope drop, and make G+ useless for people who don’t want to rope drop.
  • The biggest issue between G+ and FP+, in my opinion, is not 60 day vs 7am. It’s that the 2 most popular rides in each park aren’t on the system, which leads to G+ getting booked for other rides faster, which then spirals. If people were using their initial G+ on 7DMT, you wouldn’t see Jungle Cruise selling out by park open…

I agree with most everything you had to say. BUT… Your two points i snipped below contradict or conflict.

The first point is not a fair comparision - It is NOT because more people are feeling comfortable to travel that I get on fewer rides at Thanksgiving 2021 using G+/ILL than I did with using Fastpass+ during spring break 2019. Pretty equivalent crowds. Your second point is ONE of many reasons I get on fewer rides now with G+ /ILL versus using FP+

The system also has more glitches when using it - especially with those crowds noted above - and no functionality to modify a ride and rebook smoothly. It is harder to plan our day in real time when doing the G+ times “on the fly” around preplanned ADRs and experiences with no ability to select times for a lightning lane with Genie+ meanwhile specific times selected for ILL’s cannot be modified.

So on your first point below - it is EXACTLY an issue with G+

One sort of throws their hands up and gives up or buries the head in the phone “Fiddle-faddling“ as Molly calls it rather than going about a plan that was sorted out previously with time for breaks and pauses and surprises.

Im sure somebody else could talk about how the waits have changed or not changed that I couldn’t speak to. I just know my experience was worse and cost more than before G+ and for that I am pretty darn annoyed and disappointed.

• For those of you buying G+ but that feel they are getting on fewer rides than before G+, that’s not an issue with G+, that’s just an issue with more people feeling comfortable to travel.
  • The biggest issue between G+ and FP+, in my opinion, is not 60 day vs 7am. It’s that the 2 most popular rides in each park aren’t on the system, which leads to G+ getting booked for other rides faster, which then spirals. If people were using their initial G+ on 7DMT, you wouldn’t see Jungle Cruise selling out by park open…

This is the sad result of these threads. Very few users are posting about how fun Disney trips still are right now, but lots of people are still having fun! This forum is filled with old school fans with specific visions for what Disney vacations are to them. Maybe that's you and you'll have the same experience, but all my covid trips have been wonderful.

The same? Of course not. Wonderful? Yes. I mean I didn't come home, cry, sell my DVC, and burn a mickey shaped voodoo doll in retaliation like some posters will have you believe.

If you don't want to go, don't. But if you want to go, just go in with an open mind! Worrying about a vacation because some negative nellys online said so is so disheartening to hear about when we've all been through so much.

I keep seeing this sentiment about “negative” people. If people don’t have a good experience are they just supposed to keep it to themselves?

I don’t doubt that if we went to Disney tomorrow we wouldn’t find magic, and happiness and make cherished family memories. But we don’t live in a fantasy world where a Disney vacation is free. It costs money, and a lot of it. That magic, happiness and memories come with a price tag. Guests deserve to know what the current situation is. I’ve said it before there are facts, then there are subjective opinions. It’s a fact that there is no Magical Express, no complimentary magic bands, no daily mousekeeping, no dining plan, modified character greets and other attractions and experiences that still haven’t returned. The genie + system has a way of operating for some people it works, for others it doesn’t. Fact- it costs money, you need to be up before 7 to secure headliners, you can’t modify, you can onlyuse once per ride. This isn’t any “negative Nelly’s” opinion it is fact. For some people this all be irrelevant others it’s a deal breaker.

While I agree it’s important to read both positive and negative reviews and make a decision. But I don’t think it’s fair to mislabel people who had post about a poor experience or disappointing trip whether it’s their 1st trip or 33rd as negative or dramatic.

Last edited:

I agree with most everything you had to say. BUT… Your two points i snipped below contradict or conflict.

The first point is not a fair comparision - It is NOT because more people are feeling comfortable to travel that I get on fewer rides at Thanksgiving 2021 using G+/ILL than I did with using Fastpass+ during spring break 2019. Pretty equivalent crowds. Your second point is ONE of many reasons I get on fewer rides now with G+ /ILL versus using FP+

The system also has more glitches when using it - especially with those crowds noted above - and no functionality to modify a ride and rebook smoothly. It is harder to plan our day in real time when doing the G+ times “on the fly” around preplanned ADRs and experiences with no ability to select times for a lightning lane with Genie+ meanwhile specific times selected for ILL’s cannot be modified.

So on your first point below - it is EXACTLY an issue with G+

One sort of throws their hands up and gives up or buries the head in the phone “Fiddle-faddling“ as Molly calls it rather than going about a plan that was sorted out previously with time for breaks and pauses and surprises.

Im sure somebody else could talk about how the waits have changed or not changed that I couldn’t speak to. I just know my experience was worse and cost more than before G+ and for that I am pretty darn annoyed and disappointed.

My comment on people feeling comfortable traveling leading to higher crowds/lines was more in reference to 2020 and pre-G+ 2021 vs. today, but it's certainly possible that crowds are at or above 2019 levels these days, based on hotel rates, etc.

Simple math would say there are a finite number of LL/FP+ slots, and more broadly a finite amount of ride capacity. Previously, everyone had access to the system. Now only those willing to pay have access. So those paying should get more slots, or at least shouldn't get fewer slots than when everyone was using it...

But it certainly hurts planning, and if you're someone who booked 5+ day long trips 60 days out and so pretty much got whatever FP+ availability you wanted, it's definitely a disadvantage.

ILL also just sucks. My fear is G+ feedback is going to be so negative they move to just making everything ILL soon.

Just thinking about G+, I think the thing about it that bugs me the most (besides only being able to use it once per ride) is that it doesn’t even cover all the rides. In epcot we will have to pay for G+ and then remy and frozen. This really just feels like the last straw to me, the fact I have to pay extra and it doesn’t even cover all the rides.
Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant.

We were at AKL in December. Our savanna-view room, averaging out to $680/night--that's with an AP discount--was nearly $250/night more than the exact same week in 2019, the last time we went in December.

While we were there, during some down time, I was chatting on the phone with a friend who travels quite frequently. When I told her we were paying $680/night and weren't getting any housekeeping, she was appalled. Every covid-era trip she's taken, no matter where, the hotel where she'd stayed has had housekeeping, for a heckuva lot less/night than $680.

We specifically stated at check-in that we wanted the every-other-day trash+towel and complete cleaning on day 4. We got zero on days 2 and 3 until I called housekeeping and begged for trash+towels. An obvious new hire came to our door with a bag of only bath towels and was about to leave without taking the trash. He had no idea what I was asking for. I am not blaming this CM. I am not even blaming Disney.

But when I'm paying an outrageous (to me) price for a room, I kind of expect to get good service. Especially housekeeping, which is something I truly appreciate when I'm on vacation, and, btw, I tip extremely well.

My point is that if they're offering lesser service, that should be reflected in the price. To me, the room should've cost $250 less than the price we paid in 2019, not more. And I haven't even gone into the amount of trash and trays that other guests were leaving in the hallways, since I guess no one was getting any housekeeping, not just us.

BTW, we finally got full housekeeping on day 5 (or maybe it was 6). And we never would've paid so much for the room, but we missed several planned WDW trips during the worst of covid and we just wanted to be at AKL and soak in the atmosphere. Which we did.

No call for such negativity. Be positive! There's plenty of strategy here.

1. Pay $ for stuff
2. Watch IT failures and bad design cause problems
3. Spend time waiting at guest experience instead of ride lines to fix phase 2.
4. Profit (for Chapek)

Yay! Rainbows, kittens (unless you are allergic), and dole whips for everyone (for a small upcharge).

1. Pay $ for stuff
4. Profit (for Chapek)

Yay! Rainbows, kittens (unless you are allergic), and dole whips for everyone (for a small upcharge).
That will be an extra dollar, please....

From the Disney Food Blog 1/10/22

"Previously, you could order a Dole Whip Float from Aloha Isle in Magic Kingdom for $5.99 and a Dole Whip Cup for $4.99. Now, both of those prices have gone up by $1, with floats at $6.99 and cups at $5.99. "

1. Pay $ for stuff
4. Profit (for Chapek)

No call for such negativity? Glad there’s no hypocrisy there. Thanks for cracking me up. 🤣🤣🤣

We cancelled our January $$$ trip due to covid, and I have no desire to replan it. Too much money, work, headache, stress for a trip that would have offered less for more. We'll vacation elsewhere this year and see if they get their act together for 2023. And then will visit universal for Harry Potter with a side visit to Disney if things seem better, but not counting on that.

Another issue not mentioned is that you also only get part of the experience with G+ and ILL, skipping the line means skipping the queue. Some attractions have amazing queues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter