Best use of wasted 4 points?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
I borrowed 10 points, then changed my res, & only needed 6 of the 10 points, so what can I do with the leftover 4 that can't/wont be used?
Would be helpful if Disney would just buy them for OTUP for $10 or something.

If the returned points are current use year points, they could be banked if you are not past the banking deadline), or they could be transferred to another member (who could bank them). As long as they are still current use year points they can be transferred up until they expire at the end of your use year.

If the points are in borrowed status and you don't want to borrow or buy more to make a reservation to rent (or enough to make a 'deposit first' to II), then you really have no options. Consider them used to mitigate your stress while you got the reservation yoh really wanted, and then kiss them goodbye with your thanks for their service. :love1:

Can YOU buy OTUP to book a single night and then rent it out?
I guess i could but at the cost of them I'm not sure its worth it. Maybe if i was able to get a value studio or something for 9points I'd only need 5, but that $100, but i guess if i could rent out that one night for $200.

If the returned points are current use year points, they could be banked if you are not past the banking deadline), or they could be transferred to another member (who could bank them). As long as they are still current use year points they can be transferred up until they expire at the end of your use year.

If the points are in borrowed status and you don't want to borrow or buy more to make a reservation to rent (or enough to make a 'deposit first' to II), then you really have no options. Consider them used to mitigate your stress while you got the reservation you really wanted, and then kiss them goodbye with your thanks for their service. :love1:
Returned?
They are June 2025, that i borrowed into June 2024.

I’ve had something similar happen. You can call member services and see if they can “reassign” your points. Basically they will reassign your points to use the 2025 borrowed ones first, then your leftover points (June 2024) will be used last, thus you can bank them into 2025 without losing them

I’ve had something similar happen. You can call member services and see if they can “reassign” your points. Basically they will reassign your points to use the 2025 borrowed ones first, then your leftover points (June 2024) will be used last, thus you can bank them into 2025 without losing them
Yes, this is what I was going to suggest doing.

The issue is I would be banking my 2025 points to 2026 anyway, so id be banking these 4 into a year with no points anyway. :(

I guess i could but at the cost of them I'm not sure its worth it. Maybe if i was able to get a value studio or something for 9points I'd only need 5, but that $100, but i guess if i could rent out that one night for $200.

Returned?
They are June 2025, that i borrowed into June 2024.
Returned are the 4 points you got back after you modified the reservation. If there were any 2024 points in the reservation you modified, those would be the points that were returned. Modification system would use all of the borrowed points before using any of the 2024 points (current use year for the reservation). Couldn't tell from info given if the reservation you modified used any current use year points or if it was all borrowed points. That's why I wrote my answer as I did.

The issue is I would be banking my 2025 points to 2026 anyway, so id be banking these 4 into a year with no points anyway. :(

If you are not traveling in your 2025 UY, then the points would not make sense to move any other than the flexibility to have longer to get something booked using OTU points.

For me, I’d probably just let it go.

Returned are the 4 points you got back after you modified the reservation. If there were any 2024 points in the reservation you modified, those would be the points that were returned. Modification system would use all of the borrowed points before using any of the 2024 points (current use year for the reservation). Couldn't tell from info given if the reservation you modified used any current use year points or if it was all borrowed points. That's why I wrote my answer as I did.
Ah Gotcha.

If you are not traveling in your 2025 UY, then the points would not make sense to move any other than the flexibility to have longer to get something booked using OTU points.

For me, I’d probably just let it go.
Yea, would transfer be worth doing for someone need of a few points?

Ah Gotcha.

Yea, would transfer be worth doing for someone need of a few points?
Assuming they were 2024 points that were returned when you modified the reservation to one that required less points then you could transfer them. If they are actually borrowed then you cannot. But yes, people do sometimes need just a couple extra points. Or they would be able to bank them after a transfer (again, assuming they are actually 2024 points and bankable).

Assuming they were 2024 points that were returned when you modified the reservation to one that required less points then you could transfer them. If they are actually borrowed then you cannot. But yes, people do sometimes need just a couple extra points. Or they would be able to bank them after a transfer (again, assuming they are actually 2024 points and bankable).
Hmm, yea they were 2025 borrowed to 2024, so they're dead. lol

So your total reservation was 6 points? A night at HHI or??? And no other existing reservation to allocate them to?
No i originally booked 4 nights for 160 (75 banked +75 current + borrowed 10 to get to 160), but then I changed it to 3 nights & from 2 studios to a 2bdroom, so it went down to 156, which left me 4 extras left over.

No i originally booked 4 nights for 160 (75 banked +75 current + borrowed 10 to get to 160), but then I changed it to 3 nights & from 2 studios to a 2bdroom, so it went down to 156, which left me 4 extras left over.
Ok. Then when you dropped the night and rebooked a 2BR the system almost certainly returned current points that you could transfer or bank for yourself. That is what it is set up to do. One way to verify is look at your dashboard and (depending on your UY) if what your dashboard shows for available current points = bankable then it correctly returned bankable points. What the system does vs what it shows on the screen when you make a modification can actually be different and might be causing confusion.
There's no reason you would be stuck with only borrowed points left since the reservation also used 75 current points unless you made the change 30 days or less prior to check in because then they'd be in holding and it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
@KAT4DISNEY
The trip isn’t till December and the UY is June, but when I made the change, MS said they couldn’t put them back. Maybe it’s worth a call?

@KAT4DISNEY
The trip isn’t till December and the UY is June, but when I made the change, MS said they couldn’t put them back. Maybe it’s worth a call?
It is correct they can't be put back but points from the 24 UY would have been returned as the extra 4 left over and would either be transferrable or bankable.
The Dec reservation would have used the 75 banked 23 points, the 10 borrowed 25 points and 71 current 24 points.

It would allow you to offer the 4 points for a transfer if nothing else.

I too have 4 lonely Dec UY 2022 points banked into UY 2023 that I will lose this year if not used by 11/30. Considering we gave our nephew 8 nights at BLT in a Lakeview Studio, and got some $$ from renting all but those 4 of the remaining points, I am at peace with letting them just expire at this point. ☮️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter