Biggest Loser 10 Fall Challenge -- for losers and maintainers :)

Found my way here from the Cruise Board....guess it was meant to be! :goodvibes

Count me in! My goal for the 15 weeks is 15 pounds! I am headed to the Gulf of Mexico on Sept 18th and this challlenge will get me started on my way! ;)
After that trip, I am going on Disney Cruiseline 11/12/11 with 4 girlfriends! Goal is to be 30lbs lighter by then! My problem isn't usually losing the weight...it's keeping it off! :confused3

I look forward to getting to know new people and hopefully adding to the thread!

Count me in as a loser. I am finding myself floundering with no new trips planned. It seems having a trip planned keeps me on the right track. Oh well I need to get it together again. I'd love to coach. October works better for me.

Thanks
Deb

Hello. I would also like to join for the losing side. I have been very overweight for three years now. It doesn't seem to melt off seasonally like it used to:confused3 Planning a Disney trip was my motivation to quit smoking a few years ago, now i think I need the same type of accountablility to finally lose some of this weight. Thanks for all the support!

:welcome: debsters41! Thanks for joining our challenge!

Wow, this looks amazing. Sounds like just what I need to help me on my journey.

Count me in for the Losers Team. :thanks:

:welcome: cherry-pops! You've found a great group!

:welcome: dvccruiser76! Thanks for your PM!

I want to join too! I have about 55 pounds to lose before my first cruise next June. My goal is to change tactics from the past. I usually try to lose a lot of weight fast. This time, I am aiming for 1 - 1.5 pounds per week in hopes that the more lesurely pace can keep me focused. I put a cute little picture on my iphone wallpaper of MM and Minnie on the beach to remind me that I have a trip to get ready for each time I open my phone!

:welcome: tmclanton! Sounds like a good reminder! :thumbsup2

Found my way here from the Cruise Board....guess it was meant to be! :goodvibes

Count me in! My goal for the 15 weeks is 15 pounds! I am headed to the Gulf of Mexico on Sept 18th and this challlenge will get me started on my way! ;)
After that trip, I am going on Disney Cruiseline 11/12/11 with 4 girlfriends! Goal is to be 30lbs lighter by then! My problem isn't usually losing the weight...it's keeping it off! :confused3

I look forward to getting to know new people and hopefully adding to the thread!

:welcome: DisneyObsession! You'll be able to stay with us when you meet your goal, too. That's why we have have the loser and maintainer teams.

Count me in as a loser. I am finding myself floundering with no new trips planned. It seems having a trip planned keeps me on the right track. Oh well I need to get it together again. I'd love to coach. October works better for me.

:welcome: my3princes! Thanks for volunteering to coach. You snagged the last October spot! :goodvibes

Starting the Couch to 10k tomorrow. I've already ran a 5k BUT that was in January and I haven't ran since. :rolleyes1
I figure if it goes well I'll just skip a week...

-nat

Back from my weekend away! If you want to read about it, you can read about it on the BL9 boards!

I plan on thoroughly reading and commenting on as many posts as possible! Still have a week + until my girls go back to school so I may start off slowly!

Going to do the elliptical and some Walk It Out tomorrow! Hoping to only leave the house for soccer practice for DD1 tomorrow night!

Time to head to bed! I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm exhausted!

Ok - I seriously need this -I'm in again and I'm not bailing this time :)

I can coach too :)

Happy Birthday Connie!party:

I wasn't sure which thread you were checking, so I posted it on both!:goodvibes Hope you have a wonderful day!

Welcome to all the new folks! It takes a while to figure out who everyone is, but if you stick with it, you will make lots of new friends and get lots of support along the way.:goodvibes

MelanieC--did you have a child who went away to college this fall?:grouphug: If so, hope it's going ok. Please let me know anytime you need a hug. I feel like I am an old pro at the college stuff now.:thumbsup2 Dona has one who is out of college and one who is getting ready to go back soon as well.

I am hanging out at the high end of maintain--too many splurges this weekend. Hoping to get solidly back to my goal weight by Friday, so I can enjoy the Dis meet on Saturday without stressing and so I'm not carrying any extra weight for the race. I am going to really focus on my water the next couple of days so I am nice and hydrated Saturday morning. Carolina plays Thursday night (start of college football!!!) so I might have one beer, but that's it! Have a good day everyone!

Starting the Couch to 10k tomorrow. I've already ran a 5k BUT that was in January and I haven't ran since. :rolleyes1
I figure if it goes well I'll just skip a week...nat

:welcome: natale1980! The Couch to 5K program took me from being a coach potato to planning on running a 1/2 marathon -- it's a great program! :thumbsup2

Back from my weekend away! If you want to read about it, you can read about it on the BL9 boards!

I plan on thoroughly reading and commenting on as many posts as possible! Still have a week + until my girls go back to school so I may start off slowly!

Going to do the elliptical and some Walk It Out tomorrow! Hoping to only leave the house for soccer practice for DD1 tomorrow night!

Time to head to bed! I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm exhausted!

Glad that you had a great time on your camping trip -- even if you need some sleep now! :angel:

Ok - I seriously need this -I'm in again and I'm not bailing this time :)

I can coach too :)

:welcome: MelanieC! :wave2: Nice to see you! Thanks for volunteering to coach -- I have two weeks left in September, just let me know which week will work for you.

Happy Birthday Connie!party:

I wasn't sure which thread you were checking, so I posted it on both!:goodvibes Hope you have a wonderful day!

Welcome to all the new folks! It takes a while to figure out who everyone is, but if you stick with it, you will make lots of new friends and get lots of support along the way
.:goodvibes

MelanieC--did you have a child who went away to college this fall?:grouphug: If so, hope it's going ok. Please let me know anytime you need a hug. I feel like I am an old pro at the college stuff now.:thumbsup2 Dona has one who is out of college and one who is getting ready to go back soon as well.

I am hanging out at the high end of maintain--too many splurges this weekend. Hoping to get solidly back to my goal weight by Friday, so I can enjoy the Dis meet on Saturday without stressing and so I'm not carrying any extra weight for the race. I am going to really focus on my water the next couple of days so I am nice and hydrated Saturday morning. Carolina plays Thursday night (start of college football!!!) so I might have one beer, but that's it! Have a good day everyone!

End of maintain is okay. You had a few treats, it wasn't the end of the world, and now you are right back on plan with a race right around the corner. Sounds like you are doing great to me! :goodvibes

And you are right about it taking time to learn who everyone is and to jump in and chat but I assure you that this is a very friendly group and there is a lot of great information to help you with your health goals on our thread!

Last, but not least, Happy Birthday, Connie96! party: I hope that you have a wonderful day!

Good morning all! :goodvibes

It is so fun to come here every day and see who else is joining us this challenge. :cool2:

Do you have a birthday coming up during the challenge? We want to know and add you name to the birthday list. Please post the date or send me a PM.

Can I put your first name by your user name on the participant list? Sometimes it is easier for people to learn who our participants are that way. If I can, just post or let send me a PM. I won't put your name down unless I hear from you that it is okay. :flower3:

What is going to happen this week? Tomorrow the results from our summer challenge will be posted. There will be a lot of excitement for that as we congratulate our winners and wrap up the summer challenge. Wednesday morning I will start with a warm up question. Friday morning our challenge officially starts! You will PM your starting weights to LuvBaloo and I will start posting the Question of the Day. Some time this week jenanderson will be telling us about Healthy Habits and Connie96 will be telling us about our newest component -- WIN! (Whittle Inches Now).

While we are hanging out here waiting for the challenge to officially start and our warm up Question of the Day (a/k/a QOTD) I thought I would share this article with you from sparkpeople.com called Is Your Diet Making You Fat? Here is a little excerpt:

A healthy lifestyle is an ideal that we all strive for. Eat right, exercise regularly, get enough sleep. It seems pretty simple, right? But, we all know that it's much more complicated than a few simple words. While you might be successful in one area, like meeting your diet goals during the week, you can easily fall short in another by not exercising regularly. If you're still in "diet" mode, temporarily changing your habits just until you reach your goal, then one of these dieting dilemmas could be preventing your from reaching your goals - and achieving a permanent, healthy lifestyle. Your diet might be making (or keeping) you fat if . . .
. . . you fail on the weekends.
. . . you make exercise excuses.
. . . you don’t care where calories come from, as long as you are under your goal.
. . . you starve during the day and gorge during the evening.

Here is a link to the entire articles that tells you how to deal with these problems. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=588

They have a poll about diet dilemmas so I am going to borrow it for us this week.

Which "diet" dilemma do you usually struggle with?

*Failing on the weekends
*Making exercise excuses
*Eating nutrient-poor calories
*Starving during the day & overeating at night
*Going off my diet for special occasions
*All of the above
*None, I've transitioned from dieting to a healthy lifestyle.

I would have to go with "all of the above." (This was an option that I added). Even now I still feel like I have trouble doing what I should do even though I know more than enough about what to do. It is still hard at times to apply what I know -- I wish I could figure that one out!

Have a great day all!

QOTD: My two issues are going off the diet on weekends and for special occasions!

Just did 2 miles on the elliptical! I was watching Angels and Demons! If I can find a movie to watch that interests me it really helps!

Going to get cleaning and listen to Dis Radio most of the day. I think the girls and I have a few things we recorded over the weekend to watch. DD1 also is going to listen to an audiobook that was on her summer reading list and clean up her room again. I did the laundry from the weekend so we will fold that and take care of it! The girls are still sleeping and I'll let let them a bit longer. DD1 and I will be doing Walk It Out later and I also want to do Bob's Strength workout again and probably some WATP later. I'll probably take DD1 to soccer practice tonight so I will get some more walking in then! I look forward to having that time to myself listening to music or an audiobook or a podcast. We listened to the 2 podcasts in the car on the way up and way back from NH this weekend. Love to listen to them with DH and we comment. DD1 was really enjoying them too!

Well, I really need some water and to get moving!

Have a great day today! I will check in again later!

Lisa you'll find my answers within your quote. I used Red:goodvibes

Good morning all! :goodvibes

It is so fun to come here every day and see who else is joining us this challenge. :cool2:

Do you have a birthday coming up during the challenge? We want to know and add you name to the birthday list. Please post the date or send me a PM.

My 41st Birthday is September 18

Can I put your first name by your user name on the participant list? Sometimes it is easier for people to learn who our participants are that way. If I can, just post or let send me a PM. I won't put your name down unless I hear from you that it is okay. :flower3:

My First name is Deb ;)

What is going to happen this week? Tomorrow the results from our summer challenge will be posted. There will be a lot of excitement for that as we congratulate our winners and wrap up the summer challenge. Wednesday morning I will start with a warm up question. Friday morning our challenge officially starts! You will PM your starting weights to LuvBaloo and I will start posting the Question of the Day. Some time this week jenanderson will be telling us about Healthy Habits and Connie96 will be telling us about our newest component -- WIN! (Whittle Inches Now).

While we are hanging out here waiting for the challenge to officially start and our warm up Question of the Day (a/k/a QOTD) I thought I would share this article with you from sparkpeople.com called Is Your Diet Making You Fat? Here is a little excerpt:

A healthy lifestyle is an ideal that we all strive for. Eat right, exercise regularly, get enough sleep. It seems pretty simple, right? But, we all know that it's much more complicated than a few simple words. While you might be successful in one area, like meeting your diet goals during the week, you can easily fall short in another by not exercising regularly. If you're still in "diet" mode, temporarily changing your habits just until you reach your goal, then one of these dieting dilemmas could be preventing your from reaching your goals - and achieving a permanent, healthy lifestyle. Your diet might be making (or keeping) you fat if . . .
. . . you fail on the weekends.
. . . you make exercise excuses.
. . . you don’t care where calories come from, as long as you are under your goal.
. . . you starve during the day and gorge during the evening.

Here is a link to the entire articles that tells you how to deal with these problems. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=588

They have a poll about diet dilemmas so I am going to borrow it for us this week.

*Failing on the weekends
*Making exercise excuses
*All of the above

I would have to go with "all of the above." (This was an option that I added). Even now I still feel like I have trouble doing what I should do even though I know more than enough about what to do. It is still hard at times to apply what I know -- I wish I could figure that one out!

Have a great day all!

Exercise is my nemisis. I can stick to a healthy eating plan even on weekends and special occasions, but I just can't seem to make myself exercise. That is definitely my goal for this challenge

QOTD: My two issues are going off the diet on weekends and for special occasions!

Just did 2 miles on the elliptical! I was watching Angels and Demons! If I can find a movie to watch that interests me it really helps!

Going to get cleaning and listen to Dis Radio most of the day. I think the girls and I have a few things we recorded over the weekend to watch. DD1 also is going to listen to an audiobook that was on her summer reading list and clean up her room again. I did the laundry from the weekend so we will fold that and take care of it! The girls are still sleeping and I'll let let them a bit longer. DD1 and I will be doing Walk It Out later and I also want to do Bob's Strength workout again and probably some WATP later. I'll probably take DD1 to soccer practice tonight so I will get some more walking in then! I look forward to having that time to myself listening to music or an audiobook or a podcast. We listened to the 2 podcasts in the car on the way up and way back from NH this weekend. Love to listen to them with DH and we comment. DD1 was really enjoying them too!

Well, I really need some water and to get moving!

Have a great day today! I will check in again later!

Even before I red Lisa's question of the day, it occurred to me that you are still in the "dieting" mentality. In order to be a successful you are going to have to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. That really comes down to not going off your "diet" on weekends and special occassions. You will learn that not staying on plan is what added weight in the first place and allowing yourself to indulge in those bad habits even 2 days a week won't help you erase those habits in the end. I know that I for one have had to give up many indulgences that I absolutely love because if I allow myself just one helping or just one drink, one leads to 2 and that habit sneaks back in before I realize it. Eventually you won't miss those things at all and if you do those are the items that you save for that once or twice a year splurge. I'm not trying to be preachy, but I've had to adapt my thinking over the last 7 years as I've struggled with how to be successful for life. I've still got things to learn and definitely areas to improve, but the issues you mentioned happened to be the first ones that I dealt with. Good luck as you work through it.:wizard:

Lisa you'll find my answers within your quote. I used Red:goodvibes

Exercise is my nemisis. I can stick to a healthy eating plan even on weekends and special occasions, but I just can't seem to make myself exercise. That is definitely my goal for this challenge

Even before I red Lisa's question of the day, it occurred to me that you are still in the "dieting" mentality. In order to be a successful you are going to have to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. That really comes down to not going off your "diet" on weekends and special occassions. You will learn that not staying on plan is what added weight in the first place and allowing yourself to indulge in those bad habits even 2 days a week won't help you erase those habits in the end. I know that I for one have had to give up many indulgences that I absolutely love because if I allow myself just one helping or just one drink, one leads to 2 and that habit sneaks back in before I realize it. Eventually you won't miss those things at all and if you do those are the items that you save for that once or twice a year splurge. I'm not trying to be preachy, but I've had to adapt my thinking over the last 7 years as I've struggled with how to be successful for life. I've still got things to learn and definitely areas to improve, but the issues you mentioned happened to be the first ones that I dealt with. Good luck as you work through it.:wizard:

I will be fine! With school starting next week I will be back to my old schedule! I've now promised myself one drink a weekend and I will stick to that! When I'm focused I can stick with it. I had too many distractions this summer and too much stress and now I AM back with it! Our weekends are so busy coming up that I will have to squeeze in workouts when I can!

Girls JUST woke up at 9:40! Now they want breakfast!

*Failing on the weekends
*Making exercise excuses
*All of the above

I struggle with making exercise excuses, eating nutrient-poor calories and going off for special occasions. I'm only just beginning my journey, so I will probably cover off all of the above soon enough!

And my name is Cheryl, you can include this on the list if you like. :)

Count me in for the fall! I was stuck in a rut all summer but am hoping that the fall will be my break through time!! :lmao: well, I'm gonna try anyway...

I did much better in the spring, when I posted a short reply almost every day. I'm going to try and renew my pledge to post as often as I can because it definitely helps me. If anyone has any good excel spread sheets to keep on track (whether tracking exercise, measurements, WW points, etc) I'd really be intereted in trying that - if you don't mind sharing.

Good luck to everyone and hope we'll all be listed as the best losers!!!:goodvibes

*Failing on the weekends
*Making exercise excuses
*All of the above

Have a great day all!

Mine is 'eating nutrient-poor calories". I love to graze. I'd eat all day if I could. I try to choose healthy snacks BUT... even if they're healthy (and somehow I don't think goldfish crackers fall into that category - my favorite snack!!), moderation is an issue for me.

I'm Jude!!

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd pop in on this thread and realized that I have a lot of catching up to do.

My name is Christina. It's easier to go by my initials. You can add me to the list as CC. That's what my immediate family calls me. Christina is just too long. :rotfl2:

I am definitely an "all of the above." I am getting better about exercising. The first 20 or so minutes still tend to go by really slowly, but I feel so much better after a workout. Weekends are often so-so. I was down today from the weekend. That included almost an entire personal size pizza Saturday night and some homemade funnel cake last night. I guess the exercise is paying off. :confused3

Oatmeal tends to be a good choice for breakfast for me. I need to remember to add protein to it somehow. My nutrient intake varies from great to poor on a pretty much meal-by-meal basis.

Special occassions...geez, they seem to be happening a couple of times a week these days. I am helping plan my undergraduate college's reunion. I love planning it, but each time we get together it is an eating frenzy. And, because what we eat changes each time, it's not like I can plan accordingly. You know, if it's pizza, eat less carbs and save my dairy for dinner. :rolleyes1

I do eat a good breakfast and lunch, but my downfall is around 4 PM. I cannot seem to figure out how to fit an afternoon snack into my healthy lifestyle. I then tend to binge either on junk food or whatever is for dinner. I'm getting better about not bingeing, but it's been a very slow process. Still, I am getting there.

Great article Lisa. Thanks for sharing!

tigger813-It's so wonderful that DD1-or both? :confused3- is joining you in exercising! And, please do tell. What is a podcast? I may have to get into this. Using the elliptical at the gym is a big goal of mine and from what you said, it sounds like having something good to listen to really helps! TIA!

CC

Good morning, everyone!
My name is Cam and I am thrilled to be joining this, my second BL challenge. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked over the summer challenge but losing 7.8 pounds was better than gaining.
I am still recovering from my May 24 reconstructive surgery on my knee but I am hoping to start adding some walking to my daily routine, now that we know the bone graft "took" and the cartilage tissue has grown appropriately.

Shannon & Lisa, Please add me to to the "loser" team. My goal is to lose 25 pounds by the end of this challenge. Thank you so much for all the hard work you all do (including Jen and Connie, too, as well as all of our awesome coaches). You guys seriously inspire, and I am so grateful for that. :grouphug:

Oh, and on the warm-up QOTD -- my biggest weight-loss challenge has always been eating too much in the evenings. I tend to eat dinner late at night and then find myself snacking on something salty close to bed time. I have been concentrating on breaking this habit and am finally gaining some control. Oh, and we have WAYYYY too many dinners out with friends and for family celebrations. I grabbed hold of this challenge over the weekend and thought a LOT about what to choose at each meal. It felt so good to feel "good" about a meal after eating it, rather than feeling regretful.

Looking forward to getting to know all of the new BL challengers this fall and re-connecting with old WISH friends, too. :grouphug:

First off, yes, you may add my name to my dis name on the list (Susan).

Second, to answer the question: I hate to exercise, so that is a daily struggle. And weekends are tough with the family wanting to go out to eat and the temptation is always around. When I'm being good, I am really being good, but when I start being bad, WATCH OUT!

I gave up soda in January and miss it dearly. I know that if I let myself have even one sip of coke, I will be right back on it. I have lost 75 pounds so far and refuse to gain it back!

Does anyone find that their significant other is a big cheerleader, but can be annoying? My husband is behind me 100%, but when he says I can't have something that I know I can't but I am just fantasizing about eating it really annoys me. Like this weekend, he bought a big bag of mini candy bars to take to work. So here sits mini Snickers. I LOVE SNICKERS! They are so yummy. I joked that I was going to have a Snickers, knowing full well I wasn't going to do it. He told me I couldn't have it. HELLO!?!!? I know that and telling me I can't have it will definately make me want it more.

OK, Enough ranting. I need to get on the elipticle.

Hi there - Yep, she has officially been away for two weeks now. Dropping her off in Missouri and driving back to PA was really really difficult! She seems to be doing really well though. Thanks - I may take you up on that hug sometimes, lol! I still find myself crying for no reason. I'll do good for a while then bam - out of no where the tears show up.

:welcome: MelanieC! :wave2: Nice to see you! Thanks for volunteering to coach -- I have two weeks left in September, just let me know which week will work for you.

Hi Lisa - Either week works for me. I have nothing going on at that time!!

Of course - Melanie (LOL)

Good morning, everyone!
My name is Cam and I am thrilled to be joining this, my second BL challenge. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked over the summer challenge but losing 7.8 pounds was better than gaining.

Looking forward to getting to know all of the new BL challengers this fall and re-connecting with old WISH friends, too. :grouphug:

Hi Cam - So glad your joining in!! It's been a while, nice to see you posting again. Or......maybe it's me who hasn't been posting, lol.

QOTD:

*Failing on the weekends
*Making exercise excuses
*All of the above

For me -

1. Failing on weekends
2. Making exercise excuses
3. Going off my diet for special occasions

I'd say these three are my tops. I definately try to make nutrient rich use of my calories, especially now that I eat vegan (every calorie has to count). That's not to say that I don't eat junk food or don't need improvement, just that I think the other 3 are more of the reasons I fail these days.

These are the 3 I need to really work on improving!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter