Boma…not sure what to think now after latest vid

As much as I've enjoyed the podcast and the various shows over the years, I've found that I can't use their restaurant reviews to guide me on dining choices. I'll tune in to see new places or get info on what's changed or what's new, and some of the commentary is funny/entertaining, but the actual food opinions aren't of much use to me. There's often this whole...if you don't agree, then you're wrong...sentiment that's sometimes expressed, which I've just learned to laugh off. The reality is that we've loved some places he's hated, and questioned his taste when he's loved some places where we found to be downright awful. At the end of the day, it's all personal opinion and preferences, so I wouldn't let his opinions on something so subjective guide you. First hand experience is really the only way you'll know.

It's been years since we have been to Boma. Does anyone know if there is still a dish rotation and if so, what that is?

I think a soup or two might get rotated but most of the menu seems very consistent regardless of the day of the week now.

I live local to Disneyland. The area is surrounded by FAR better dining options than you find on property, but when people on the boards ask for dining recommendations at DLR, I share my favorites at DLR. If they specifically ask for off property options, I'll share those too.

I never understood the stance of the DIS team that "this restaurant is okay, but there are better options offsite." Well, duh! It's a theme park resort, of course there are better/cheaper options in the surrounding local area.
I mean, they also totally gloss over that people are far more hesitant to cruise than go to WDW right now(despite the price comparison they keep harping) because taking vacation days and booking flights only to have risk that you will be turned away at the port is a complete non starter. I can't get those vacation days back. And now I gotta change flights, etc.
They view it like we all can just drive home and its no big deal.

Its baffling to me they don't realize that this ^ is the issue for cruising vs WDW right now. Even if they are aware of it, their perspective is skewed on how big a factor it is.

I think a soup or two might get rotated but most of the menu seems very consistent regardless of the day of the week now.
They did have a different salmon than I had only weeks before them.

But it seems pretty consistent overall

As much as I've enjoyed the podcast and the various shows over the years, I've found that I can't use their restaurant reviews to guide me on dining choices. I'll tune in to see new places or get info on what's changed or what's new, and some of the commentary is funny/entertaining, but the actual food opinions aren't of much use to me. There's often this whole...if you don't agree, then you're wrong...sentiment that's sometimes expressed, which I've just learned to laugh off. The reality is that we've loved some places he's hated, and questioned his taste when he's loved some places where we found to be downright awful. At the end of the day, it's all personal opinion and preferences, so I wouldn't let his opinions on something so subjective guide you. First hand experience is really the only way you'll know.
I like to use the boards, social media, YouTube, to help me. Look for trends of opinion. Not 1 source.

I tried Amare because a lot of people have liked it, and it has been getting good reviews. Despite it not having much press, I gave it a shot and really enjoyed it.

I never understood the stance of the DIS team that "this restaurant is okay, but there are better options offsite." Well, duh! It's a theme park resort, of course there are better/cheaper options in the surrounding local area.

I've always wondered about that too. For example I don't know how many times I've seen a thread where Teppan Edo was mentioned and someone stated "I have a Hibachi style restaurant at home that's half the price and just as good." My first thought is "great - start driving there!" I'm pretty darn sure that if that favorite restaurant at home could somehow be placed in Epcot it would not be the same price.

Each has his/her own point of view about what has value to them. I have a Hibachi location near me that I enjoy, and that did not lessen my enjoyment of Teppan Edo. I have a Golden Corral in town where the buffet is a third of the price of Boma. I'll probably be back to Boma again before I'll return to Golden Corral. 😉

In autumn 2021 I went to Boma for one breakfast and three dinners. Only change I noticed with breakfast is they didn't do made-to-order omelets anymore. At dinner, the salad dressing was now American, not African, and instead of alternating days between coconut rice and peanut rice, they had combined them into one coconut-peanut rice dish served every day. In general, I found the quality and variety to be the same as before. I wish they would add some more interesting salad dressing, but everything else was great.

I went twice on my last visit in December. The quality of food is still there and I did not notice any change in that area. They are down a few items but there is still plenty to enjoy. I have not heard Pete's review, but I love Boma. But others saying he is a smoker kind of makes sense. Smokers do taste things differently then non smokers. I am a non smoker and a super taster. I think the food is great.

In autumn 2021 I went to Boma for one breakfast and three dinners. Only change I noticed with breakfast is they didn't do made-to-order omelets anymore. At dinner, the salad dressing was now American, not African, and instead of alternating days between coconut rice and peanut rice, they had combined them into one coconut-peanut rice dish served every day. In general, I found the quality and variety to be the same as before. I wish they would add some more interesting salad dressing, but everything else was great.

Yes, I miss the mango salad dressing and asked about it. They said that they can not get it anymore.

I've been to dinner twice since it re-opened and it was just as great as before. I've never found the meats to be Boma's strengths. In fact, I've gone and filled up solely on their amazing soups and salads. I know it hurts to pay $50 for a quasi-African Sweet Tomatoes experience but they're just so good.

We had breakfast and dinner there in December and both were wonderful. We felt that the experiences were just as good as pre-Covid.

I went twice on my last visit in December. The quality of food is still there and I did not notice any change in that area. They are down a few items but there is still plenty to enjoy. I have not heard Pete's review, but I love Boma. But others saying he is a smoker kind of makes sense. Smokers do taste things differently then non smokers. I am a non smoker and a super taster. I think the food is great.
I did watch the video and the cut of meat he recieved was not great, but the rant on the buffet style overshadowed his take on the quality of the food (valid for his plate).

We went twice in Nov and had great cuts of meat and you can ask for how you’d like it cooked. Even our picky teen (loads up on the kids buffet) went back for seconds on the steak. I’ve seen supply issues last year and some signature restaurants (Topolinos/BOG-June) served low quality cuts. It could be the same thing due to Omicron (temporary).

The staff was friendly and accommodating. We went during a busy time of the day; I can’t see them serving a buffet and cleaning tables. We are going again in the Spring and will report back.

My family and I went last week for breakfast. There was a lot of food, but to me it was like a quick service buffet. I was really hoping for more exotic food, so that's where I was disappointed. Overall it is a good buffet for all.

I’ve been twice for dinner since the reopening. The first time was in October, and it was DELICIOUS. We couldn’t wait to get back. We went again over the holidays, and it was still good but just not the same. And that was across the board. As much as I love the meat, the soups are among my favorite food on Disney property. Both the meat and the soups this second time were good but not something I would rave about (and they had mostly the same soups both times I went). My fiancé was chowing down like he’d never eat again, so I bit my tongue so as not to ruin his meal, but then he was like this is still good but not like last time. Because it was phenomenal in October, I think it’s more likely that they have some new cooks and so it might be hit or miss (still on scale of yummy to omg I never want to eat anywhere else for the rest of my life, though). We will definitely not hesitate to go back (and we have a breakfast reservation there in March).

Rest assured, though, the Zebra Domes were still fantastic!!!

My family and I went last week for breakfast. There was a lot of food, but to me it was like a quick service buffet. I was really hoping for more exotic food, so that's where I was disappointed. Overall it is a good buffet for all.

Breakfast has always been less exotic than dinner. Give dinner a try.

I’ve been twice for dinner since the reopening. The first time was in October, and it was DELICIOUS. We couldn’t wait to get back. We went again over the holidays, and it was still good but just not the same. And that was across the board. As much as I love the meat, the soups are among my favorite food on Disney property. Both the meat and the soups this second time were good but not something I would rave about (and they had mostly the same soups both times I went). My fiancé was chowing down like he’d never eat again, so I bit my tongue so as not to ruin his meal, but then he was like this is still good but not like last time. Because it was phenomenal in October, I think it’s more likely that they have some new cooks and so it might be hit or miss (still on scale of yummy to omg I never want to eat anywhere else for the rest of my life, though). We will definitely not hesitate to go back (and we have a breakfast reservation there in March).

Rest assured, though, the Zebra Domes were still fantastic!!!

I think that we have off days for food just in general. Some days food can taste amazing and the next, not so much. I think that this is just a human issue. I have noticed that over that years that some days, no matter what I eat, I just don't enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter