Boston ABD vs on our own

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
I have a placeholder that expires next week. in essence it is worth 200.00 per person for a total of $600 in total. They only adventures they are applicable to are the ones not on sale.

1. We have never visited Boston/Cape Cod etc. so this Boston ABD appealed to me. My daughter is 20.
2. My daughter will have an internship for college next summer, end time unknown, so I am looking at early August for the trip allowing all college stuff to wrap up by 8/1.
3. Planning on ABD followed by Cape Cod trip for 3 days or so.

Anyone take this ABD to comment on the worth of it? Itineary look good? Value?

THanks for any feedback...

I have no experience with ABD but my husband and I made extensive plans to visit Boston last fall (sadly the trip was canceled because we both got sick). This is just based on what we had planned for us. Hopefully someone with experience on this specific trip or has actually visited Boston will chime in.

I looked up the itinerary and it seems intense. But it does hit many of the must-dos recommended when visiting Boston. We had Fenway and the Boston Public Gardens on our list of things to see, maybe do that as well when you have time on your own. Day 2 (unless I'm looking at the wrong itinerary) seems like a lot. A bike ride, rowing lesson AND a tour of Harvard all in one day would be exhausting for me personally. We had planned two days instead of one exploring the Freedom Trail so we could really spend time at each site. But, we are American history buffs and like a slower paced vacation. There are some stops on the tour that require paid admission to go inside, I would ask if this is covered by ABD or if it's something you will do on your own if interested.

The after-hours tours would be very cool, not something that your average traveler would get to do. Plus you get the personal care from ABD guides.

Thanks LostPrncess. It is intense. That is how the ABD NYC was and we honestly really enjoyed it. We are crazy on the go types of people so early hours and long days don't bother me. I think I will budget to come in one day early to do anything we desire that the tour does not cover. I am hoping to add on Cape Cod days as well. Thanks for the thoughts!

I live between Boston and New York. I would definitely do the NYC ABD, but I would never do the Boston one. The itinerary isn't the greatest for that city and you can see more on your own, especially if you get a T pass. I'm not saying you wouldn't have fun on the ABD, but I really don't think the price is worth it for what you get on the trip.

Perspective coming from someone that lives in Boston proper... you can do most of this on your own. I think Day 2 could be better spent at the Public Garden doing the Swan Boats (you can also rent real boats from Community Boating) ending the day around the Fenway area for a game or a tour. Harvard is nice but it takes you away from the center of the city. On Day 3, I can't imagine what you would spend the day doing on Thompson Island, all the harbor islands are small and there's never much to do. If you're on-the-go types, you can definitely make your own itinerary to enjoy the city and then get on your way to the cape!

I live in the Boston area (to the extent it matters, I spent 5 years living in the city, then 10 on the west coast before returning to the near suburbs because we were priced out of Boston itself during our time away). I actually think the ABD itinerary for Boston looks interesting. It hits on a lot of tourist must sees, but also combines some things that many people would not think to do or could not do on their own. There's definitely a lot to do in Boston that isn't covered by the ABD, but it is not possible to cover any metro area in 3 days and see everything. You could always add a pre-day to cover additional sites that are interesting to you.

Whether the harbor island day is appealing to you will depend on what you are interested in. I have personally enjoyed taking day trips to the harbor islands for hiking, swimming, etc. And it sounds to me like the day on the harbor islands will include organized activities provided by ABD, but that is something that you could confirm by asking ABD.

You guys are awesome!!! It helps. I really was all set to book but my BIGGEST hang up/hold up - I will be locked into August 6th. If my daughters internship is over 7/10 heck I could leave several weeks earlier. That is what is driving me nuts.

Ok so let's assume I do this on my own - can you name a few must see things? We love food tours....SOME history....the Thompson Island thing looked dumb to me but I was hopeful I was missing something....

You guys are awesome!!! It helps. I really was all set to book but my BIGGEST hang up/hold up - I will be locked into August 6th. If my daughters internship is over 7/10 heck I could leave several weeks earlier. That is what is driving me nuts.

Ok so let's assume I do this on my own - can you name a few must see things? We love food tours....SOME history....the Thompson Island thing looked dumb to me but I was hopeful I was missing something....

I just brought my in-laws from Minnesota and family friends from Arizona on a duck tour. Interesting for me as a local, but they loved it as tourists. Gave a nice overview of the city in like an hour time frame. Also they wanted to do italian in the North End. Freedom trail is another good thing to do. Looking at the ABD itinerary, the freedom trail and old north church are nice, and i would add in Faneuil hall. Good thing is that Boston is a compact/walkable city so its not that hard to get a lot done in a little amount of time. So you should still be good for the Cape!

ETA... it would've helped if i clicked more info and noticed this is the day 1 itinerary basically less the duck tour... so looks like they did a good job of hitting up my must dos!

Since you are coming in the summer, I would do a meal reservation at one of the waterfront restaurants in the Seaport. (Though it is a chain, I am very fond of that particular location of Legal Seafoods and it has outdoor seating, but reservations are a must).

Eating in the North End is a good tie in with the freedom trail since you will be walking there if you do the whole trail anyway. Though it is perhaps less interesting to those who didn't see Boston before the Big Dig, I am a big fan of the Rose Kennedy Greenway, which is a strip park that sits on top of the now buried central artery. They have a great public art program with lots of interesting sculpture, etc. that changes up from time to time.

Any haunted tours you recommend? We like odd quirky stuff like that!

I would also had a visit to the Aquarium, the Museum of Science, the Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stewart Museum (sight of the famous art theft), shopping on Newbury Street, the Mapparium, and a tour of Fenway Park. Even if you aren't into baseball, the history and tour is great. Sorry, I'm not sure about any haunted tours.

WOW I think I have been talked out of ABD...would you mind looking at this quick itinerary? Just to see if time/distance etc is grouped appropriately?

Day 1:
(early!)Freedom Trail

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

North Church

Dinner at Tresca

Day 2:
Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum
Swan Boats

Food Tour - suggestions?
Haunted Tour

Day 3:
Museum or Aquarium
SHopping on Newbury Street
Tour Fenway Park
Maparium
Legal Seafoods in Seaport

? Could I fit in Boston Public Library TEa? Anyone done it? I love high tea and ABD does it..not sure if ABD thing...?
? Did I capture enough before heading off to cape Cod?

THANK YOU!!!! Feel free to edit...

WOW I think I have been talked out of ABD...would you mind looking at this quick itinerary? Just to see if time/distance etc is grouped appropriately?

Day 1:
(early!)Freedom Trail

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

North Church

Dinner at Tresca

Day 2:
Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum
Swan Boats

Food Tour - suggestions?
Haunted Tour

Day 3:
Museum or Aquarium
SHopping on Newbury Street
Tour Fenway Park
Maparium
Legal Seafoods in Seaport

? Could I fit in Boston Public Library TEa? Anyone done it? I love high tea and ABD does it..not sure if ABD thing...?
? Did I capture enough before heading off to cape Cod?

THANK YOU!!!! Feel free to edit...

Hi there!

I live in the city.

I've only been on one haunted tour, the Ghosts and Gravestones Tour which is operated by Old Town Trolley. I haven't been on it since it first started, a few years back, but it was enjoyable. Mind blowing? No but I think it would be interesting for someone who has never been to Boston before and is interested in spooky history.

A few of my family members recently went on a food tour in the North End and had a great time. The tour goes to a popular bakery, italian store, and pizza place and then you go to the tour guide's mom's (grammar?) house for a meal which my mom really got a kick out of (perhaps because it was like she was at her grandmother's house all over again) https://northendbostontour.com/ Aside from mama's house, you could do this tour on your own pretty easily (I can tell you where the tour goes and what they give you, if you'd like!)

My favorite bakery in the North End is Bova's. It's open 24/7. and it's not nearly as crazy as the more popular bakeries, modern and mike's. At Faneuil, I love the banana pudding at Magnolia Bakery which yes, is a NYC thing, but it's still delicious.

I've hosted a bridal tea at the Boston Public library and thought it was lovely. It's beautiful without being stuffy. They have afternoon tea every Wed-Sunday. https://www.librarytea.com/courtyard I think you could fit that in on day 2 at least!

Just thought of one more thing, there also some shopping in Downtown Crossing (and easy walk from both the Public Garden and/or Faneuil. There's a store called Primark which is primarly located in the UK, has only a couple locations here in the US, it's 4 or 5 floors of budget friendly/fast fashion clothes. This may seem like a dream or a nightmare to you lol not sure which but I thought maybe your daughter would be into it since you have Newbury Street on your itinerary. (I happen to love it there but I also have a slight shopping addiction. :c) )

Last edited:
If I were critiquing your itinerary, I would suggest grouping things that are near each other together. Even though Boston isn't huge, you don't want to spend all day schlepping around on the T. For example, the Tea Party Ships and Museum is in the Seaport, so I would do that before eating in the Seaport. If you wanted to add a museum to that day, the aquarium or the ICA would be good choices. The ICA is in the Seaport. The aquarium is close enough.

Newbury Street, Fenway Park and the Maparium are all somewhat close together. The MFA or Gardner museum could potentially fit with those.

I am no help with food or ghost tours.

Thanks nerak and Jess! I just ordered Boston tour book from amazon but our conversation has helped a ton! I don’t think I need abd at all to do this! Few more questions if u don’t mi d

1. Hotel that is central to all that I want to do? Thoughts? I was just going by the abd one. It’s 600 a night not sure if that’s typical price for city? Worth it? Other thoughts? I won’t have a car

2. Any ideas where I can start researching cape cod?

3. Nights in Boston. 3 enough?

Thx again!

ABD stays at the Westin in Copley Place. I stayed there last year when a tree fell on our house and knocked our heat out for a week. It is a newly renovated 4 star hotel. It is in a tower above the Prudential, so it has nice city views. In my research, it was on the more expensive end (though definitely not the most expensive) when compared to other hotels; we selected it because they would take our pets. We also stayed at the Royal Sonesta for a few nights. It's in Cambridge near the Museum of Science and isn't as nice as the Westin, but was still a good place to stay.

Based upon what you would like to do, I would look at hotels in the Back Bay and Downtown. I do not have specific recommendations because I haven't actually stayed in most of the hotels here.

My first place for travel research is always tripadvisor. That's where I would go to research the Cape.

Thanks nerak and Jess! I just ordered Boston tour book from amazon but our conversation has helped a ton! I don’t think I need abd at all to do this! Few more questions if u don’t mi d

1. Hotel that is central to all that I want to do? Thoughts? I was just going by the abd one. It’s 600 a night not sure if that’s typical price for city? Worth it? Other thoughts? I won’t have a car

2. Any ideas where I can start researching cape cod?

3. Nights in Boston. 3 enough?

Thx again!

What would you like to know about the cape? I go all the time. What would you like to see there?

What would you like to know about the cape? I go all the time. What would you like to see there?
THanks! I am just beginning my research...because I plan to be in boston I felt it logical to visit the cape. HAving said that I vacation in Hawaii so am GUESSING the beaches are not quite HAwaiian, lol, so not a big deal to actually BE in the water et. etc. as my guess it is cold compared to Hawaii. :) Is there a section of the Cape I should look at that is upscale say like a SAn Diego or Coronado Island etc. Not looking for an Ocean City or Wildwood NJ feel etc. Have never visited Cape Cod or MV..Would it be worth it to do a day trip to MV? I don't mind sticking at Cape Cod if that is best - a general point in the direction of what section would be big help! THanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter