Brainstorming for Thanksgiving!!

Disney Ron

It's not a lie, if you believe it.
November 1st is here...I am brainstorming for my Thanksgiving menu. Does anyone have any great holiday recipes to share?

I am making the classic Turkey, stuffing, mashed and gravy. I am hoping to throw a couple of new recipes in for side dishes, appetizers and dessert.

I think I may try a new recipe I just saw for a Turtle pumpkin pie. DSD loves pumpkin pie, I thought this could be a new twist.

Turtle Pumpkin Pie
1 prepared graham cracker pie crust
1/4 cup caramel topping
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 cup milk -- cold
2 packages instant vanilla pudding -- (3 1/2 ounce)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups Cool Whip Topping -- thawed
2 tablespoons caramel topping
2 tablespoons pecan pieces

Pour ¼ cup caramel topping into crust; sprinkle with ½ cup pecans.
Beat milk dry pudding mixes, pumpkin and spices with whisk until blended.
Stir in 1 ½ cups whipped topping.
Spread into crust.
Top with remaining whipped topping.
Refrigerate 1 hour.
Top with remaining pecans and drizzle remaining caramel with fork.

I have gotten some great ideas from this board, thank you all!
Mrs. Disney Ron

ooh im subsribing to this thread. Quick question if you don't mind. I always have a problem getting things to the table all hot at the same time. Any suggestions?popcorn::

I have a green beans recipe that my family just loves. I know the vinegar sounds weird, but try it before dismissing it.

3 cans whole green beans
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 onion
8 strips bacon

Slice onion thin. Cut bacon into small pieces. Cook onion and bacon until bacon is cooked and onion is transparent. Remove bacon and onion with a slotted spoon and leave drippings in skillet.

Add vinegar and sugar to drippings and let boil for a few minutes. Add green beans and heat through. Remove to serving dish and then top with bacon and onion mixture. Mmmmmmm!

I have a green beans recipe that my family just loves. I know the vinegar sounds weird, but try it before dismissing it.

3 cans whole green beans
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 onion
8 strips bacon

Slice onion thin. Cut bacon into small pieces. Cook onion and bacon until bacon is cooked and onion is transparent. Remove bacon and onion with a slotted spoon and leave drippings in skillet.

Add vinegar and sugar to drippings and let boil for a few minutes. Add green beans and heat through. Remove to serving dish and then top with bacon and onion mixture. Mmmmmmm!

These sound great....I am making them today using fresh green beans! Hope they are as good!

Mrs. Disney Ron

3 cans whole green beans
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 onion
8 strips bacon

Yummy, I am going to make it. Thanks for posting it!!

Thanksgiving Salad​

2 large heads Belgian endive
1 head Romaine
1/2 cup white raisins
3 large Red Delicious apples
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
4 oz. goat cheese
4 large ribs celery
1 cup walnut halves
Dressing -- I use store-bought Walnut Raspberry

Slice or dice apples and toss with lemon juice. Slice celery. Toss together the apples, celery, walnuts, and raisins with the dressing. Arrange 3 or 4 endive leaves on individual salad plates. Make a bed of shredded Romaine in the center of the leaves. Top with a large spoonful of the apple mixture. Crumble the goat cheese and sprinkle some on the top of each salad. (Sometimes I also sprinkle a little more dressing on the Romaine.) I also sometimes substitute dried cranberries or cherries for the white raisins.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

ooh im subsribing to this thread. Quick question if you don't mind. I always have a problem getting things to the table all hot at the same time. Any suggestions?popcorn::

I have a warming unit on my oven and use it. You can just set your oven to a low temp if you don't have this feature. I try to make as much ahead of time and then keep it covered. This works well for stuffing, casseroles and for the mashed potatoes. I use the microwave for veggies that can't stay in teh oven and keep a pot of gravy on the stove. I don't worry if my turkey is not piping hot, gravy warms it up.

I also have my cousin help serve the meal. One set of hands cannot do this all at once so I would suggest that you let someone pour beverages, someone else help put serving dishes on the table.

Honestly, by the time your guests help themselves to everything some items are just not going to be really hot, don't stress it. Gravy, gravy gravy.

Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
Shaking the Salt Habit High Fiber

Why wait until Thanksgiving to enjoy this yummy dish? With its marshmallow and pecan topping, it will surely become a family favorite.
Makes 10 (3/4-cup) servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice , divided
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups miniature marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in large bowl. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat. Transfer to 13x9-inch baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender.
2. Meanwhile, mix flour, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter with fork until crumbly. Stir in pecans and marshmallows.
3. Remove casserole from oven and stir gently to coat potatoes in syrup; top with marshmallow-crumb topping. Bake, uncovered, additional 7 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and topping is golden brown.
Variation: For an added treat, stir 1/2 cup raisins into topping.

Nutrition Information per 1 serving

Calories: 325
Sodium: 84 mg
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Fiber: 5 g

I make this is aluminum foil dish with no problems(some dishes do not cook well in aluminum) -- and I add more marshmellows after I make like above

Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
Shaking the Salt Habit High Fiber

Why wait until Thanksgiving to enjoy this yummy dish? With its marshmallow and pecan topping, it will surely become a family favorite.
Makes 10 (3/4-cup) servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice , divided
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups miniature marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, orange juice, vanilla and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in large bowl. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat. Transfer to 13x9-inch baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender.
2. Meanwhile, mix flour, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter with fork until crumbly. Stir in pecans and marshmallows.
3. Remove casserole from oven and stir gently to coat potatoes in syrup; top with marshmallow-crumb topping. Bake, uncovered, additional 7 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and topping is golden brown.
Variation: For an added treat, stir 1/2 cup raisins into topping.

Nutrition Information per 1 serving

Calories: 325
Sodium: 84 mg
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Fiber: 5 g

I make this is aluminum foil dish with no problems(some dishes do not cook well in aluminum) -- and I add more marshmellows after I make like above

Thank you, this is going to be added to my menu!:yay:

Keep all the great recipes coming...I am making the green beans with bacon tomorrow!

Mrs. Disney Ron

This is a dish I make, and use only a GLASS dish. (ppl have asked for my recipe and use alum. and does not work)

Corn Pudding

Ingredients
4 (15 1/4-ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained and divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation
Process 1 can corn, flour, and next 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Transfer to a bowl; stir in remaining 3 cans of corn.
Pour mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until set.

Yield
Makes 12 serving

from southern living NOV 1999

Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon

Yield: about 6 servings

6 slices bacon
1 pound green beans, stems removed
1 pound medium-sized mushrooms, each cut into quarters
1 large red onion, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain

To bacon drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, add whole green beans, mushrooms, onion, water, vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper; cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

To serve, spoon bean mixture into bowl. Crumble bacon and sprinkle over beans.

185 calories per serving.

Mrs Disney Ron~I just made that turtle pumpkin pie for my MIL's birthday a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. Everyone loved it. I used sugar free pudding, fat free milk, and fat free cool whip and it was great.

Mrs Disney Ron~I just made that turtle pumpkin pie for my MIL's birthday a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. Everyone loved it. I used sugar free pudding, fat free milk, and fat free cool whip and it was great.

Cindi, great thanks for the feedback:thumbsup2 ...the picture I saw left me really wanting some!!

:flower3: Mrs. Disney Ron

Wow! Some great recipes here. I will look today and hopefully add something!
S :)

I'm planning to try two new items this year, homemade yeast rolls and apple cobbler.

I'm also looking for a sofrito recipe. I had one but lost it. Goya has a version of it, but I want to try to make it myself.

So anyone have recipes that they are willing to share?

Recipes need not be healthy or fat free

Subscribing to this thread. Thanks for the recipes so far, keep them coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter