Buying dvc advice if someone asks about it

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
Dh has a coworker that asks him about DVC once in awhile. DH has no interest in Disney or DVC so he has no clue about how it works. He sends me questions about it.
He asked me again yesterday to answer some questions for his coworker. I asked what kind of questions? When does he go, where does he stay, what does he know? (I love my DVC and would be more than happy to sit for hours and go over every little detail, which Im sure is not normal for regular people)

Dh asked me if I could make up a few notes to help this guy. I spent this morning getting the highlights together for him. I’m just curious on what others tell people who are interested in buying DVC, actually interested because they do go once a year.

I included direct vs resale, resale sites, list of resort with expirations, resorts with dues, and some some help sites and you tube videos explaining things like direct vs resale and use year.

What do you say when someone asks you about dvc?

It would be much easier to do this in person if your husband put you in direct contact with his co-worker for a Q&A over the phone, where you can more easily have a back and forth conversation without a middle man. Just saying, it's too complicated to just write down and share a few notes. I wouldn't even attempt it unless other side is truly interested and agree to a talk, so that's very nice of you to try and give it a shot!

Great3

Dh has a coworker that asks him about DVC once in awhile. DH has no interest in Disney or DVC so he has no clue about how it works. He sends me questions about it.
He asked me again yesterday to answer some questions for his coworker. I asked what kind of questions? When does he go, where does he stay, what does he know? (I love my DVC and would be more than happy to sit for hours and go over every little detail, which Im sure is not normal for regular people)

Dh asked me if I could make up a few notes to help this guy. I spent this morning getting the highlights together for him. I’m just curious on what others tell people who are interested in buying DVC, actually interested because they do go once a year.

I included direct vs resale, resale sites, list of resort with expirations, resorts with dues, and some some help sites and you tube videos explaining things like direct vs resale and use year.

What do you say when someone asks you about dvc?

I give them a link to read up on DVC first, usually from one of the resale sites, then I'll help them with any questions. I want them to read about DVC and know what they're getting into and decide if it's worth it. I don't want any personal opinions I have to influence their first impression. Also, I've had many co-workers ask questions straight off and misunderstand what DVC is. The most recent one thought it was a concierge program, like "join the vacation club, and you call up someone at Disney and they arrange a vacation for you once a year". They need to know that it's a timeshare program, it has an initial cost, it has annual dues, and it's for a set number of years.

I think I've had 5 co-workers ask me about DVC in the last ~4 years that I've owned. Only 1 went into the mouse trap and is still trying to find a vaccine for Addon-itis. :rotfl2:

Here's the note I would send:

Hi, this is X. We have been happy with our DVC, but when we bought it was much cheaper. DVC is at all time highs, and it would be hard for me to recommend someone buy right now. IMO, Disney has been making questionable decisions, and I am not even sure we will hold if Disney continues in this direction.

There are a lot of other options, like borrowing DVC rooms "renting points" or staying cash. I would start at the Marriott properties -- Swan, Dolphin, and Swan Reserve. If you book in advance, they can be much cheaper than DVC and with generous cancellation. You can learn more at X Youtube Channel. I'm happy to help you with any of this, if you have questions. My Name, My Number

My first words are usually, "it's a timeshare." I let that sink in because most people have a negative reaction to timeshares. Then I explain how the timeshare model can actually makes sense if you're a Disney devotee. Things like consistently visiting the same place, cost of transportation to get there, flexibility of time of year, cost of alternative/comparable accommodations, all tend to be negatives for most timeshares, but work out to your advantage for Disney. Considering all that, they can make the cost calculations themselves.

I used to talk up DVC, how great it is if you are a Disney fan. Not anymore. The cost has become outrageous. The little things that made it special have been either ended or cut back (like the shampoo and shower lotions no longer in a bottler but a dispenser-- this is really second rate). In studios not having actual silver ware but plastic. This last trip we needed towels, so they dropped off a bag just inside the room--did not hang them up or take them out of the bag, just very tacky. Do I love my DVC, yes. All my points are paid for an bought before they got to be too expensive. My wife and I still love going to Disney and taking our kids/grandkids. I just do not recommend it anymore and tend to not even disclose we own to other people.

I share all the things I love about it and how it works. Then I share the logistics of resale vs direct, trading, MFs, etc

Then I have them check here and put together questions and go from there.

Here's the note I would send:

Hi, this is X. We have been happy with our DVC, but when we bought it was much cheaper. DVC is at all time highs, and it would be hard for me to recommend someone buy right now. IMO, Disney has been making questionable decisions, and I am not even sure we will hold if Disney continues in this direction.

There are a lot of other options, like borrowing DVC rooms "renting points" or staying cash. I would start at the Marriott properties -- Swan, Dolphin, and Swan Reserve. If you book in advance, they can be much cheaper than DVC and with generous cancellation. You can learn more at X Youtube Channel. I'm happy to help you with any of this, if you have questions. My Name, My Number
DVC might be at all time highs, but hasn't the trend always been for prices to rise over time? Direct pricing will continue to go up, bringing resale along as well. So in five years today‘s prices are probably a bargain. And I bet we’ll see the triumphant return of annual passes sooner or later!

DVC costs per point have significantly outpaced inflation. A point in 1999 cost $65/point. Inflation adjusted that would cost $116.27.

There are a few properties that would sell for about that amount or less than that now, but even then only on the resale market, OKW, BR, AUL, HHI, VB

I'd simply direct them to read as many of the negative, griping, whining, complaining posts on here about how terrible DVC and everything else Disney is anymore, and then have them look at how many of those posters still own their DVC points despite months or years of said griping, particularly in light of the fact that even the very recently slightly depressed resale market still likely promises a significant profit for them if they actually did sell.

I get that it's not all rainbows and unicorns, and Disney deserves its fair share of well-earned criticism, but if you were to believe many of the posts on here, it boggles the mind that the member still owns any points. I've seen people change gardeners or car washes based on lesser service complaints. Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

Last edited:
I'd simply direct them to read as many of the negative, griping, whining, complaining posts on here about how terrible DVC and everything else Disney is anymore, and then have them look at how many of those posters still own their DVC points despite months or years of said griping, particularly in light of the fact that even the very recently slightly depressed resale market still likely promises a significant profit for them if they actually did sell.

I get that it's not all rainbows and unicorns, and Disney deserves its fair share of well-earned criticism, but if you were to believe many of the posts on here, it boggles the mind that the member still owns any points. I've seen people change gardeners or car washes based on lesser service complaints. Stockholm Syndrome maybe?
I REALLY dislike a lot of things Disney has done lately, to the point of selling all of my stock at a loss (stock I’m quite sure will go back up in value in under a year)… But I still hold a white knuckled grip on my DVC points. It’s just too darned convenient, fun, and relatively affordable for what you get.

Disney resorts and parks continue to be remarkable products. They have some operational problems that they need to address, and they are getting a tad greedy with pricing, but that said, they continue to be an amazing company filled with little touches of service that you rarely, if ever, see anywhere else.

We are “elite” members of several hotel chains, and rarely, if ever, see the level of service we see as just mere guests in Disney restaurants, resorts, etc.

DVC costs per point have significantly outpaced inflation. A point in 1999 cost $65/point. Inflation adjusted that would cost $116.27.

There are a few properties that would sell for about that amount or less than that now, but even then only on the resale market, OKW, BR, AUL, HHI, VB
And how many properties were there to choose from in 1999? I’d say the cost with the options available is still pretty good.

The main things I would ask
- are you able to schedule vacations one year in advance (know where you want to go so at 11 months it can be booked)
- how often do you want to go to WDW?
- do you want a hotel room (studio) or larger living quarters

DVC might be at all time highs, but hasn't the trend always been for prices to rise over time? Direct pricing will continue to go up, bringing resale along as well. So in five years today‘s prices are probably a bargain. And I bet we’ll see the triumphant return of annual passes sooner or later!
Yes but only if Disney improves the park experience. If they continue to let it slip those DVC contracts are going to be dropping in value fast.

and then have them look at how many of those posters still own their DVC points despite months or years of said griping, particularly in light of the fact that even the very recently slightly depressed resale market still likely promises a significant profit for them if they actually did sell.
I don't know anyone in the real world DVC would be right for. If I thought someone was maybe right for it, I would still be tempered in giving this kind of advice. And this is a co-worker it sounds like OP doesn't even know, so she has no idea if it's right for them. To any acquaintance, I would be very short and honestly wouldn't recommend, even if you think DVC is the best thing ever.

This is a five figure Disney timeshare. This can make you either sound (1) dumb for having a timeshare or (2) like a crazy Disney person. Or both. I don't know anyone in my age group who owns a timeshare at all, and honestly, it would be a whole explanation if they knew.

And let's be real. There are plenty of people who have absolutely lost their shirts buying DVC. I would even include people financing in that category. This is still a timeshare. Heck, we could all lose our shirts on this thing. It's risk. And, with things like RIV's policies, it is acting increasingly timeshare-y. I don't want that to be on me.

I've been asked this a few times and said they need to do a whole lot more research. And a couple times when I talked people out of it with specifics about DVC's downsides, and there are many. Someone had a relative I've never even met call me from the kiosk, and I told them to slow down and not buy there. I'm sure that guide was thrilled with me. I still do not know another human in real life who owns DVC.

I guess maybe if OP is local to WDW, this would make more sense, and people wouldn't be that surprised you have a local timeshare. That's the only way I can think that I would give anything more than a minimal response or an answer to specific questions. It's not like this broad overview is top secret information. They can use Google and figure out when the resorts expire. If this stranger wanted that kind of information, it's all out there.

Last edited:
I’m not a great person to ask because I always tell people IRL that I wish we had bought sooner but, financially, it would have been more of a stretch for us than I was okay with back when the kids were both under 4. I also explain why we opted to pay cash instead of finance our purchases. I also tell people I never saw us as a “Disney family”; we planned on a total of 3 Disney trips: with tiny kids under 1, with school age kids, and with teens. But our kids fell in love with WDW and we found ourselves going back every 12-18 months once the kids were both toddlers. We also learned we needed more than a regular bedroom so we finally took the plunge when the kids were 6 and 4.

When I do talk to my cousins about it, I explain why it works for us but that it probably won’t work for anyone if they don’t see themselves going back at least every 18 months. I also know 10 people IRL who are part of DVC. Most of them (with the exception of 2) are what others would call “crazy Disney people”. My family is the oddball of the group because we bought planning to use DVC as an extra vacation in between larger international trips with our children.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone in the real world DVC would be right for. If I thought someone was maybe right for it, I would still be tempered in giving this kind of advice. And this is a co-worker it sounds like OP doesn't even know, so she has no idea if it's right for them. To any acquaintance, I would be very short and honestly wouldn't recommend, even if you think DVC is the best thing ever.

This is a five figure Disney timeshare. This can make you either sound (1) dumb for having a timeshare or (2) like a crazy Disney person. Or both. I don't know anyone in my age group who owns a timeshare at all, and honestly, it would be a whole explanation if they knew.

And let's be real. There are plenty of people who have absolutely lost their shirts buying DVC. I would even include people financing in that category. This is still a timeshare. Heck, we could all lose our shirts on this thing. It's risk. And, with things like RIV's policies, it is acting increasingly timeshare-y. I don't want that to be on me.

I've been asked this a few times and said they need to do a whole lot more research. And a couple times when I talked people out of it with specifics about DVC's downsides, and there are many. Someone had a relative I've never even met call me from the kiosk, and I told them to slow down and not buy there. I'm sure that guide was thrilled with me. I still do not know another human in real life who owns DVC.

I guess maybe if OP is local to WDW, this would make more sense, and people wouldn't be that surprised you have a local timeshare. That's the only way I can think that I would give anything more than a minimal response or an answer to specific questions. It's not like this broad overview is top secret information. They can use Google and figure out when the resorts expire. If this stranger wanted that kind of information, it's all out there.
I know 6 people from my department at my job alone.

I am considering buying but that is because I am finally in great financial shape and happen to be getting an unexpected bonus.

So I see it as fun money. I considered buying a boat, an EV and even just a new car. I am not a car guy and the boat would be an even bigger financial commitment than DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter