BWV - Can Anyone Give me Any Feedback

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me about the BWV's. Any room requests that would work well for my 78 yo Mom who doesn't get around so well? I've seen the BWV's from the MGM boat - some of them look very far away from the boardwalk. Would this resort be a bad choice for my mom and 2 little ones? It would be DH, me, Mom, DD3 and DS5. We would put DD in a port a crib and DS would sleep with my mom. We were thinking about the 1 bedroom suite. Any feedback would be really appreciated!

The BWV is my home resort and I feel that it, along with BCV are the 2 best resorts on property for me. The corridors can be long and there is only 1 elevator. You can request a room near the elevators, if you specify that it's for your mother that may help. There are also 1st. floor rooms that lead outside, these are my preferance.

A 1 bedroom may be a bit crowded, but you should all fit. I think that it allows 4, with one additional child under 3.

The boardwalk is a large area. It is a walk to the buses and the boardwalk, but it is worth it. Have a great time.

May I suggest you go over to the DVC board...there is lots of info on this resort ..We just returned from a 8 day stay...We had 2- 1 bd rms and a PV (Preferred View) studio over Wyland Galleries..Make sure you request a NON-Smoking if you want and close to the elevators...we love the boat to MGM and Epcot...but usually we just walk to Epcot..

I have stayed here with my mom (70 years old) and my husband and DD5. We love BWV. My 5 year old loves the Boardwalk (stayed there at 3, 4 and 5 years old). Always something to see and do in the evenings and you can see the high Epcot fireworks from the Boardwalk. She also loves the pool and slide - but is a good swimmer, so depending on your kids ability, the pool might not be the best - but any pool for kids is fun, isn't it?

My mom gets around well, and we still put the DD in a stroller for Disney - so we don't mind the walk down the hallways. But that being said, it can be a LONG walk from the elevator. However, you could request a room near the elevators (not guaranteed) for medical reasons. My family thinks it is a great family location, but every one has their own opinion.

As stated by Buzzsgramma - check out the DVC boards... there are LOTS of opinions on BWV there. :)

If she doesn't get around well, you may want to check out the possibility of an ECV (also called a scooter) for her from one of the off-site rental companies. That way she can ride instead of walking. The boats that go between BW-Epcot-MGM are accessible to ECVs or you could use the walking paths that go the same places. Bus transportation is also accessible.
You can get more information about ECVs from the disABILITIES FAQs thread on the disABILITIES Board.

We own at both BWV and BCV. BWV only has one set of elevators. If you end up on the opposite end of the elevators, it can be a very long walk/journey. We use the stairs a lot when we are on the end of the building away from the stairs. But, if it were me and I had any mobility issues, I would stay at BCV. It's smaller and it has two sets of elevators.

When we were at BWV (our home resort) last Thanksgiving, my dad drove up from Pompano Beach to visit us. And of course, we had a villa that was about 4 doors from the stairway to the tennis courts/walkway to MGM!!! I thought my poor dad, who has balance issues, was going to just collapse!! I would suggest asking for a villa that is as close to the elevators as possible. Let them know that you will be traveling with someone with mobility issues.

We were three doors from the end of the hall with a Boardwalk view last January. It was a LOOOONG walk. However, the view of Spaceship Earth and the view of the high fireworks from Illuminations each night more than made up for it! I'll take the walk anyday! :) And due to the stroller, we always used the elevator.

But, as stated, it could cause problems for someone with mobility issues... I agree with the ECV idea. A friend rented one for her mom when staying at BWV, and said it was great! Her then 5 year old son got rides with grandma!

ABSOLUTELY get her used to a scooter..e...in the local stores..then you can rent a scooter(delivered to/from the BWV). :moped:

ECV (scooter) is a necessary item for mobility challenged people..
When you make ressies...ask to be "close" to the elevator!!!

I agree with all the previous posters, you can have a very long walk to your room. I just returned two days ago from BWV and had a terrible 1 bdrm villa (#4002). We were directly above the dumpsters for the bar Jellyrolls. The room had a great view of the Swan & Dolphin and was directly above the croquet court. Everynight when the bar closed (12 or 2am), they emptied the bottles into the dumpster. The garbage truck would arrive between 5 and 6am to empty the dumpster. I was very disappointed in the way the front desk handled our problem.

The elevator location (especially for direct access to the boardwalk with a stroller or EVC/wheelchair) was not a priority in the design of this resort.
Sorry for the negative review, but it is fresh in my mind and definately put a damper on our trip. :sad2:

Studio 3133 not a bad view but a long walk from elevators :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

Tinkbellfan,
That just s&cks that your room was so noisy. Not very magical, that is for sure. Hopefully, you did not have any little ones that the garbage truck woke up each morning! Luckily, we have never had a noisy room at BWV in 4 trips there. (Crossing my fingers for January!)

I have to admit, I had read so much about the serenity and peacefulness of OKW that I was shocked at how loud it was there. Our studio looked out over the golf course, and we were woken up each morning to the mowers on the greens at about 6:30am. Naps were destroyed each afternoon by leaf blowers on the course. The outdoor hallways echoed incredibly and we could hear people coming home each evening (we tried to go to bed early because our daughter was only 2.5 years old at the time). however, maybe I just noticed it more because I was concerned about my daughter getting her rest. We all know how cranky young kids can be at the parks when they don't have enough sleep!

So - I am willing to give OKW another try on another trip. Can't wait to try out a big one bedroom! Hopefully, your next trip to BWV will be more peaceful as well!

ktbugsmom said:
I agree with the ECV idea. A friend rented one for her mom when staying at BWV, and said it was great! Her then 5 year old son got rides with grandma!
I just wanted to point out that letting children ride on the ECV can be very dangerous and is usually forbidden by the rental agreements. WDW CMs have posted in the past that they can and do confiscate park ECVs from people who are allowing children to ride on them.
Most people may not think of it as unsafe, but I have seen kids fall off and have also seen the ECVs go out of control because the child was on grandma or grandpa's lap. Kids get excited and squirm - which might make them hit grandma's arm and go out of control. Kids get excited and point at something; their arm could hit grandma's, get in grandma's way or in grandma's field of vision, so she can't see there she is going.

SueM in MN -

Very good point. Honestly hadn't even thought of that. Luckily, my friend, her mom and her son did not have any issues! Next time they go, my friend's son is now two years old and bigger, so it wouldn't happen again anyway. Plus, my friend said she wants to try Disney with out her folks in tow! She will just try it as a single mom with a 7 year old. Not sure which would be more difficult! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter