• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Caliexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummabear

DIS Veteran
i was just reading about the 2019 Californian referendum to exit the Union.

I know we cannot have political discussions here so I am not trying to start a discussion on the political side, but find it an interesting thought.

If they voted yes would California be able to exit the Union?
Could you see California adapt as an independent country?

I just cant phantom how it could happen, but maybe people said that back in 1860

I can't see it happening either. It seems more like a statement than an actual possibility.

I'd like to formally invite them to become the 11th province of Canada...you'll see by this chart we could really use beaches, orange groves and our own Disney park.
Welcome-To-Canada-Infographic.jpg

Last edited:

i was just reading about the 2019 Californian referendum to exit the Union.

I know we cannot have political discussions here so I am not trying to start a discussion on the political side, but find it an interesting thought.

If they voted yes would California be able to exit the Union?
Could you see California adapt as an independent country?
I don't know the answers, but I'll just say that there's been talk since I was in high school (long time ago) about California becoming a separate country and/or dividing into two states.

I really doubt it will ever happen, but IF (big "if") it did, I doubt that California as a sovereign country would survive.

We actually tried to make Turks and Caicos a territory in the 90's but didn't get the job done. I think I like the idea of California, Canada, even better. And it's super-convenient that the abbreviation CA is still not already in use! Oh, and @superme80 - our deal comes with unlimited water!!

We actually tried to make Turks and Caicos a territory in the 90's but didn't get the job done. I think I like the idea of California, Canada, even better. And it's super-convenient that the abbreviation CA is still not already in use! Oh, and @superme80 - our deal comes with unlimited water!!

You know they have a bigger population then your whole Country, so as they vote, you are

You know they have a bigger population then your whole Country, so as they vote, you are
Yeah, well the population of the city of Toronto is bigger than all the Maritime provinces put together so that type of imbalance isn't a problem.

It's basically talk. There was a fairly recent proposal to separate California in to 6 separate states. There's also the secessionist State of Jefferson movement looking to carve out a state from the northern part of California and the southern part of Oregon. Their main beef is a belief that the cities aren't responsible to their concerns about use of resources like timber and water. As its own state there would be problems of extremely low per capita income, along with the little detail that the timber and water resources are tied up in federal lands and federal water projects.

As far as the whole thing about a split, California is really more aligned along coastal urban and rural differences.

We would hope to be treated fairly regardless of who we voted for. To deny federal funding to ones political enemies is not something that's been done often in our nation's history. I've heard talk about possibly denying Californians federal emergency funds over how we voted or over what our Governor has said.

Last edited:
Google So you want to secede from the U.S.: A four-step guide

Highly unlikely.

Factual answer to the first question: There's no provision in the Constitution to allow a state to secede from the Union. South Carolina tried in 1861 and the results... weren't good. Now, in the unlikely event that California voters voted to secede, here's how it could pan out:

1) Congress would ignore the whole thing and eventually the movement would fizzle out.
2) Congress could ignore the whole thing unless and until the Governor/President of the Republic of California started ordering federal troop out of the new nation. Then we're looking at Civil War II, depending on how far each side wanted to take it.
3) Congress could decide to allow it for wanting to avoid bloodshed (see #2).

As for the second question: I think so. There would be a lot of things that would have to be sorted out, like how Medicare and Social Security recipients would get their benefits (since they would no longer be American citizens); how to get by without federal money (like for highways, emergency relief, etc.). There would be repercussions, but I think California could be a competitive worldwide economy within a decade.

Yeah, well the population of the city of Toronto is bigger than all the Maritime provinces put together so that type of imbalance isn't a problem.

Bigger than Manitoba too..by a long shot. I object that our province is may as well move to Ontario. Noooo thanks lol

Most of the land in the western states is owned by the federal l government. I do not think they will give it away for free.

But (and remember I'm not American so I am actually asking because I don't know) didn't they get the land for free from the State of California when they joined the Union?

As for the second question: I think so. There would be a lot of things that would have to be sorted out, like how Medicare and Social Security recipients would get their benefits (since they would no longer be American citizens); how to get by without federal money (like for highways, emergency relief, etc.). There would be repercussions, but I think California could be a competitive worldwide economy within a decade

I thought the website proNoting it made some interesting points.

The things you have mentioned above are basically the same as the reasons my dad gives for why Montreal could never split from Canada.
I would assume that their expectations would be that since the federal money came from them they would be "paid out"

I do hope something good comes from it, one of the more important points I saw (Mods please let me know if this is getting too political) was that the elections are usually called before their votes have even been counted, that Californian votes haven't affected the election since 1876 and they feel unheard.
Maybe the answer is not for any state of seperate but to give more power at a state level?

If California were to secede would we need passports to go to Disneyland?

There's so many different factions with differing opinions on how to secede, they'd need to unite to get the job done, and that doesn't like it will happen any time soon, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter