• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Caliexit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that if all sides somehow agreed to it, California could easily survive as its own entity.

and again without discussing the specifics it seems the US has several polictical viewpoints on various issues of which both sides feel very strongly, and of which there can be no compromise.
I think from that point it makes sense to split so both can "have their way"

If I were a Californian voting to secede, I would hope for US support, with an orderly transition, also. I'm sure they wouldn't pull out immediately, but CA had better be establishing a legitimate (non militant & prepper) military quickly. I wouldn't expect a similar situation to the Panama Canal. Do they really think, they can say "we don't need the US any longer, except for your military, of course?" Do they really think the majority of residents in the remaining US states would support that? There are also residents of CA who wouldn't be happy to give up their US military benefits to start over in a new country, unless CA is willing to step up & offer them much more. It sounds to me like this hasn't been well thought out.

As far as negotiations go, why would the US be willing to negotiate with a country wishing to secede? Everything that California provides could be provided by another US state.

What about Social Security? And Medicare? And any civil service retirement?

starting from scratch their own Coast Guard, Army, Navy and Air Force, etc.

So I think some people view this a bit differently, you seem to see it as "fine, leave, good luck on your own starting from scratch"
Where I see it as more of a divorce. California has paid towards the military-why shouldn't they be getting some of the equipment?
They have paid into social security etc-someone would need to mediate a division of all assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter