California Grill - dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, real people are able to figure things out - they do it every day.
Not sure what you mean by "real people"....I mean as far as I know I am real and alive.

But honestly at this point who knows? We could all be living in The Matrix or some weird giant's snow globe?

So if the rules are "implying" No Tees then why add the language "t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics"....

There would be no need for that language at all, right? If we are suggesting that ALL Tees were against the rules. The fact they are calling out Tees with offensive language and graphics absolutely means that tees that do not have those items are indeed permissible to wear. Otherwise, there would not be a need to single out a certain group of tees at all. You would simply understand all tees were against the rules. Or better yet I would think they would simply state NO TEES. There would not be any ambiguity to the rules at all.

Again, I do this for a living.

Yep. And the golf shirt that I wore at the WDW signatures was not the traditional collared style. It had a collar, but was merely akin to a t-shirt. It was that exact language about t-shirts that made me comfortable enough to comply with their statement. They didn't define what constitutes a collar and in my case I wore a zero collar (which is still by definition a collared shirt).

So if the rules are "implying" No Tees then why add the language "t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics"....

There would be no need for that language at all, right? If we are suggesting that ALL Tees were against the rules. The fact they are calling out Tees with offensive language and graphics absolutely means that tees that do not have those items are indeed permissible to wear. Otherwise, there would not be a need to single out a certain group of tees at all. You would simply understand all tees were against the rules. Or better yet I would think they would simply state NO TEES. There would not be any ambiguity to the rules at all.

As someone who spent a lengthy career parsing words in what you call "contractual documents," I can tell you that most people don't live in that world. They're able to figure out the difference between dressing nicely and looking like a slob and act accordingly. It's not that hard.

When your 50th anniversary dinner is ruined by kids running around throwing handfuls of food in the air and staining your "business casual/fancy clothing", the parents (in shorts) are ignoring them - yeah, I don't enjoy my meal. - WDW is for kids, but some restaurants are advertised as being "special". What people wear affects their behavior. Sorry, but I don't think I'll make it another 50 years to enjoy a "special meal" with that someone special.

I'm sorry and I really don't want to be rude but why on earth would you book a dinner that special at Disney World? Dress code or no dress code, children are ALWAYS a part of the equation and will be well represented at EVERY Disney restaurant! As a retired educator and I know children VERY well and dressed up or not they will misbehave if they haven't been properly taught by their parents. Many parents seem to operate as though being at Disney World makes it safe and appropriate to "loosen the reigns" a bit, relax and let the "kids be kids". It is a matter of parenting NOT dress code.

There is one code they have that they have always enforced every time I’ve gone. They insist that you do not wear a hat. I’ve had to take it off every time.
Yup - on one visit when my husband and I went, we were both dressed very nicely - myself in a nice dress, heels, etc,. and he in khakis, a button up shirt, sharp shoes etc. He was wearing a golf cap and they asked him to take it off in the elevator. There were definitely patrons far more underdressed but they won't allow even nice hats (i.e. not baseball caps). Weird...

As someone who spent a lengthy career parsing words in what you call "contractual documents," I can tell you that most people don't live in that world. They're able to figure out the difference between dressing nicely and looking like a slob and act accordingly. It's not that hard.
That's not what we are debating...

Not one person in this thread has said anything about "looking like a slob" being appropriate at any point in the conversation.

That's not what we are debating. If you think that being in a Disney tee and shorts at a Disney resort is "dressing like a slob" then I don't know what I can tell you.

Yup - on one visit when my husband and I went, we were both dressed very nicely - myself in a nice dress, heels, etc,. and he in khakis, a button up shirt, sharp shoes etc. He was wearing a golf cap and they asked him to take it off in the elevator. There were definitely patrons far more underdressed but they won't allow even nice hats (i.e. not baseball caps). Weird...
Growing up in the south I always remove my hat indoors anyway...

Just a habit my grandmother instilled in me with the numerous smacks upside the head with a wooden spoon at the dinner table when I forgot. Then I had to say Grace :)

As someone who spent a lengthy career parsing words in what you call "contractual documents," I can tell you that most people don't live in that world.

Well, I did live in the military contractual world so when I read Disney's signature dress code, I did parse it as to comply. I also went in knowing I had on my phone their verbiage if I was challenged.

I find it pretty delusional that Disney requires a dress code for certain "Fine/Signature Dining" restaurants where their level of food quality, preparation and service doesn't come close to warranting it.

There are hundreds of fine dining restaurants around the country, Manhattan included, that don't have a dress code and absolutely put all of these fine dining options in Disney to shame.

We have a group of 11, 6A, 5C, that we want to get a reservation at a nice place to end our trip. We ate at California Grill last time and it was pretty good, but we want to switch it up this time. Tough to find a spot that doesn't have mixed reviews complaining about it being overpriced and having sub-par service.

Well, I did live in the military contractual world so when I read Disney's signature dress code, I did parse it as to comply. I also went in knowing I had on my phone their verbiage if I was challenged.
Most of my life has been in the Military contracts world as well. As a civilian for private organizations both large and small. However right now I handle all commercial and government US Market contracts for a very large organization, $500M a year just in the US, $2B a year globally.

It's A LOT of work :)

We have a group of 11, 6A, 5C, that we want to get a reservation at a nice place to end our trip. We ate at California Grill last time and it was pretty good, but we want to switch it up this time. Tough to find a spot that doesn't have mixed reviews complaining about it being overpriced and having sub-par service.
Have you tried Jiko before? Animal Kingdom Lodge is a lovely setting and we've found the atmosphere at Jiko to be much more subdued and elegant than CG (although we love CG too). The food - especially the wild boar app, filet, elk, lamb shank, and short rib - is consistently delicious and there are some wonderful servers too!

Most of my life has been in the Military contracts world as well. As a civilian for private organizations both large and small. However right now I handle all commercial and government US Market contracts for a very large organization, $500M a year just in the US, $2B a year globally.

It's A LOT of work :)

I worked as a military contractor and am a civilian. Our company wasn't large or publicly listed, which meant I really needed to sharpen my skill set when drafting/reviewing contracts and Gantt charts.

Anyway, it is this innate ability that makes me scrutinize things like dress codes; I guess I've been groomed to find loopholes. If Disney wanted a binary dress code, then they would have drafted as such.

I find it pretty delusional that Disney requires a dress code for certain "Fine/Signature Dining" restaurants where their level of food quality, preparation and service doesn't come close to warranting it.

There are hundreds of fine dining restaurants around the country, Manhattan included, that don't have a dress code and absolutely put all of these fine dining options in Disney to shame.

I went to Eleven Madison Park in New York which is 3 Michelin Starred and voted by restaurant in the world...

In a pair of Levi Shorts and a T-shirt...

MG is no EMP 🤣

I’ll be going to my res at MG in the same

But they say you MUST wear a collared shirt. MUST isn't implying anything. It's pretty clear. Is a tee a collared shirt? Nope.

the prohibited items list was borne out of necessity, like a warning label saying you must turn the car off before installing a fan belt. You would think it would be clear, but obviously someone did it.

this exactly. Its common sense. Everyone KNOWS what the dress code means. Not everyone WANTS to comply with it. Some who don't want to comply want to justify their noncompliance by any means they can. Dissecting the language of the code to look for loopholes, arguing that their money spends just as well, ect are all justifications for choosing to disregard what they KNOW to be the the restaurant's request for proper dress. At Disney, a lot of times they don't put thier foot down and stop it, so it continues.

this exactly. Its common sense. Everyone KNOWS what the dress code means. Not everyone WANTS to comply with it. Some who don't want to comply want to justify their noncompliance by any means they can. Dissecting the language of the code to look for loopholes, arguing that their money spends just as well, ect are all justifications for choosing to disregard what they KNOW to be the the restaurant's request for proper dress. At Disney, a lot of times they don't put thier foot down and stop it, so it continues.

So using your logic, I assume you never ever go over the speed limit right? I mean it very clearly states 55 MPH....

Of course you do...I'm sure you have plenty of reasons why you speed as well. We all do...

This is no different...

I don't know why you're so hell bent on enforcing a ridiculous dress code at a restaurant in the walls of a Disney Theme park for God's sake....

If we were talking some super fine dining Michelin Star establishment, again like The French Laundry, then yes absolutely I would 100% agree with you. I just don't understand why it bothers you that some people come to a restaurant within a theme park with theme park attire on...Perhaps I never will and that's ok :)

However, I truly believe at this point we've just reached an impasse and have beat this poor old horse to death...473437

Again, I hope your future dinners are as spectacular as you can possibly dream. :)

So using your logic, I assume you never ever go over the speed limit right? I mean it very clearly states 55 MPH....

Of course you do...I'm sure you have plenty of reasons why you speed as well. We all do...

This is no different...

I don't know why you're so hell bent on enforcing a ridiculous dress code at a restaurant in the walls of a Disney Theme park for God's sake....

If we were talking some super fine dining Michelin Star establishment, again like The French Laundry, then yes absolutely I would 100% agree with you. I just don't understand why it bothers you that some people come to a restaurant within a theme park with theme park attire on...Perhaps I never will and that's ok :)

However, I truly believe at this point we've just reached an impasse and have beat this poor old horse to death...View attachment 473437

Again, I hope your future dinners are as spectacular as you can possibly dream. :)
This.
It’s Disney. Not the Vatican. Dress like one wishes. And we all know Disney doesn’t care... it’s vacation. I will continue to dress in park attire and continue to not worry about it.
And like the above states. We ALL. Speed. We all disregard a rule here and there.
Funny thing is. There is no rule against park attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter