California Grill Second Chance?

neopolitech

Earning My Ears
I’m trying to decide if I should give the California Grill another chance. I went there over a year ago and the service was great, but unfortunately my dinner was not. I ordered the filet medium rare, and even with a knife, it was almost impossible to cut. I had a very hard time chewing and swallowing it, and eventually had to spit it out in the bathroom. It was the worst steak I’ve ever had in my life. The person I went with had the same issue. I was so disappointed given how much I paid.

However, people keep saying how great the food is there, particularly the filet. So did I just go on a bad night and get a bad cut? Is it usually very good? I would like to give them a second chance, but am just nervous given the price.

I’ve only been to California Grill once, last year. We were a group of four and I believe three of us had steak. We were all very happy with our meals and enjoyed the overall experience.

One of our group always orders steak rare and she loved hers. She keeps talking about it and has it in her must do list when she goes back.

I was probably in the middle more. I thought it was good, but I don’t rave about it. Having said that I am planning on going back. I definitely liked it much more than Yachtsman Steakhouse which I was disappointed in. (Which similarly to you, with California Grill, has made me hesitant to go back)

Having read comments about Flying Fish on the disboards that is a place I haven’t been but am really interested in trying.

Having read comments about Flying Fish on the disboards that is a place I haven’t been but am really interested in trying.

I can vouch for Flying Fish. I have been there twice in the last couple of years, and I would highly recommend going there. Both meals I had there were very good and the service was fantastic.

Thank you for your comments above about California Grill. I may give them another chance during my March trip. Yachtsman Steakhouse is another one I am hesitant about. I haven’t been there yet, but I almost went last year. However, the reviews were so mixed on that place that I cancelled my reservation. It sounds like I was right to do so.

I’m trying to decide if I should give the California Grill another chance. I went there over a year ago and the service was great, but unfortunately my dinner was not. I ordered the filet medium rare, and even with a knife, it was almost impossible to cut. I had a very hard time chewing and swallowing it, and eventually had to spit it out in the bathroom. It was the worst steak I’ve ever had in my life. The person I went with had the same issue. I was so disappointed given how much I paid.

However, people keep saying how great the food is there, particularly the filet. So did I just go on a bad night and get a bad cut? Is it usually very good? I would like to give them a second chance, but am just nervous given the price.

I ate there for the first time recently and ordered the filet. I usually am more of a ribeye gal so I’m not sure if it’s just not to my taste, but I also thought the filet was tough and not flavorful. I’ve had better steak at the Golden Corral (yikes I know). I ordered it medium rare and had to send it back, much to my embarrassment because I am not fussy at all, but it turns out the kitchen accidentally made it medium well initially. It took 20 minutes for my second steak to come out and I started filling up on bread and wasn’t particularly hungry when it did finally come out.

I also didn’t really like the sauce, it kind of cheapened the whole dish for me. I had just had Boma’s fabulous tamarind barbecue sauce though, so perhaps that was part of it. In hindsight, I should have just ordered something else because I’m usually a very adventurous eater and a filet with barbecue sauce and Mac and cheese is more of a picky eater friendly option. I’m conflicted as well about returning since perhaps I would enjoy other offerings, but I also thought the place was a bit hectic and the tables were so close we ended up conversing with the parties on both sides of our two person table.

I have read so many great reviews, but I’ve had far better service and food at more moderately priced restaurants (like Homecomin’) so I’m not sure I’ll be heading back anytime soon, especially given our tab was $150 with no drinks or dessert and an AP discount. I do have brunch reservations for my next trip, which I imagine is a totally different experience, but I’m still unsure. We don’t do a lot of fine dining so it maybe was just a bit much for us, but I just expected to be more blown away by the food and we thought it was nothing special. Agh, I feel so disappointed even thinking about that meal :guilty: .

The steak in flying fish was amazing.

What I will say about California Grill anytime something was not right they bend over backwards trying to make it right. I most certainly would have told my server about the steak. I’m sure it would have been addressed.

I ate there for the first time recently and ordered the filet. I usually am more of a ribeye gal so I’m not sure if it’s just not to my taste, but I also thought the filet was tough and not flavorful. I’ve had better steak at the Golden Corral (yikes I know). I ordered it medium rare and had to send it back, much to my embarrassment because I am not fussy at all, but it turns out the kitchen accidentally made it medium well initially. It took 20 minutes for my second steak to come out and I started filling up on bread and wasn’t particularly hungry when it did finally come out.

I also didn’t really like the sauce, it kind of cheapened the whole dish for me. I had just had Boma’s fabulous tamarind barbecue sauce though, so perhaps that was part of it. In hindsight, I should have just ordered something else because I’m usually a very adventurous eater and a filet with barbecue sauce and Mac and cheese is more of a picky eater friendly option. I’m conflicted as well about returning since perhaps I would enjoy other offerings, but I also thought the place was a bit hectic and the tables were so close we ended up conversing with the parties on both sides of our two person table.

I have read so many great reviews, but I’ve had far better service and food at more moderately priced restaurants (like Homecomin’) so I’m not sure I’ll be heading back anytime soon, especially given our tab was $150 with no drinks or dessert and an AP discount. I do have brunch reservations for my next trip, which I imagine is a totally different experience, but I’m still unsure. We don’t do a lot of fine dining so it maybe was just a bit much for us, but I just expected to be more blown away by the food and we thought it was nothing special. Agh, I feel so disappointed even thinking about that meal :guilty: .

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience either, but I’m glad to know that I am not alone!

Like any restaurant anywhere, especially with steak, there are going to be bad cuts or less then steller ones. We ate there and loved it, my son had steak and enjoyed it. We have also eaten at Flying Fish, although neither had steak since we thought fish might be a good choice given the name of the place. Our food was good, not the best we have ever had but good, our service sucked. While not the worse service we have ever had at WDW (that is reserved for Sanaa) it was up there. Our server had a couple of larger tables and they got all the attention, our meal ended up taking about 2 1/2 hours, just because he didn't come back and check on us between courses, to drop the bill off or to come back and pick it up. Not sure if he was thinking he'd get a better tip from the bigger tables or what. I can guarantee he got a bigger tip from them, while he got one from us, it wasn't even our normal 20%.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience there.
I have ordered many things there, but never the steak.
However, if the steak was bad or not cooked properly, I would have talked to the server and they should make it correct.

We've been to CG twice and had fantastic meals both times. I don't understand though, if your steak was so tough you had to go to the bathroom to spit it out, why you didn't convey this to your server and have a new one fired for you. I can't imagine paying over $50 for something that I had to spit out in the bathroom.

I had a terrible steak at Yachtsman once. I told the server that it was quite overdone. He apologized, whisked it away and a few minutes later I had a new steak that was much better served to me. Kitchen staff aren't perfect and will sometimes incorrectly cook a steak.

In retrospect I definitely should have said something to the server. There were a couple of reasons why I didn’t at the time. The person I was with had the same issue with their steak so I figured maybe that’s just the way they prepare them here and saying something would not have made a difference if I just got the same thing again. Also that person really didn’t want me to say something “and make a scene.” In my family no one ever criticizes their meal to the server or sends food back, so that mindset has gotten passed on to me. But you guys are right that in this instance I definitely should have said something. So that’s on me.

In retrospect I definitely should have said something to the server. There were a couple of reasons why I didn’t at the time. The person I was with had the same issue with their steak so I figured maybe that’s just the way they prepare them here and saying something would not have made a difference if I just got the same thing again. Also that person really didn’t want me to say something “and make a scene.” In my family no one ever criticizes their meal to the server or sends food back, so that mindset has gotten passed on to me. But you guys are right that in this instance I definitely should have said something. So that’s on me.
Personally we believe that people bump up the food reviews based on "Fireworks" and "Views of the Castle" at Cali Grill, either knowingly or unknowingly. We've tried it 2 times and the flavor profiles of the meals were. Meh
I tried the Filet both times, thinking maybe something was off the first time. Nope, it was just as flavorless the second time as the first. It was prepared to a perfect Medium Rare both times, but it wasn't anything to write home about. My wife wasn't impressed with anything she had either and that also includes the apps. Mind you, nothing we had was poorly prepared or off putting, we just found it bland and assumed it was seasoned for the masses.
Also, my wife mentioned that the portion size was tiny, considering that she's 4' 11" 95 lbs. that's saying something. Haha
It's not lost on us that the two most popular nighttime restaurant experiences at WDW are facing MK in Ohana and Cali Grill. Ha If those two were located at other resorts not facing MK with fireworks views, I'm not so sure they would be must do's!
So, count us in on skipping it from now on as we've had much better flavor profiles at other WDW signature restaurants. Jiko, Tiffins, Brown Derby and Le Celliar all were better flavor experiences for us.
I will have to say, we're giving their Sunday Brunch a try on our next visit, so they have one more chance to impress us.
Topolino's has a veal chop that looks tremendous and has had rave reviews for less money than the Cali Grill Filet, so that will be our next Signature.

Last edited:
We’ve been to CG several times and always enjoyed. If a steak, especially filet, isn’t right you have the right to send it back and should. That’s regardless of the restaurant.

I agree

No one should settle for an entree that is inedible. We do not make a practice of sending food back willy-nilly, however if a steak needed to be spit out the server would be informed and the kitchen given an opportunity to make the correction. If you simply let the server knwo there is an issue, there will not be a scene.

We like California Grill and go there periodically, the last time being a week or so ago. We all ordered the filet and we were all happy with our choices. The server made substitutions on sides for some of us, and took the time to share some anecdotes about the MK, and Disney history. My sister flew on Life Star for 6 years, so he also gave her some night on the helicopter flying over the MK.

If you are simply looking for a delicious steak dinner, try Yachtsman or Le Cellier. I cannot believe I am suggesting LC because I was never a fan, however our last meal there, (a request from my son in law) was outstanding. Flying FIsh is also a favorite of mine.

We've eaten at CG a handful of times and have found that we're always better off avoiding the entrees. We've had wonderful appetizers, but we have yet to have a great entree. My husband and I have each tried the raved about filet (on different visits) and neither one was rave-worthy or price tag worthy. Still, it's not just the filet. I think I've tried (different) entrees on three separate visits and none have been good. On the flip side, every single appetizer, sushi plate, flatbread, etc. has been great...well, minus the ravioli. I know people love it, but it was blah to me. So, whenever we go to CG, I just avoid entrees.

I’ve been to CG several times and have always enjoyed my meal. I honestly cannot remember exactly what I ordered each time, but I’m certain that someone (or two) in our party had a filet. Maybe this was just a bad night!
My son always pick a “steak” place as his restaurant ADR each trip. We have been to Yachtsman twice and really enjoyed it! I also really enjoy their cocktails and appetizers (cheeseboard is so good!). My only complaint there was service on one of the trips but I believe our waiter was overwhelmed by a large, high maintenance group. Unfortunately, this could be the case any time, any place.
Le Cellier was his pick during our Thanksgiving trip and we loved that too! No complaints whatsoever and it’s another spot that gets such mixed reviews.

Nothing worse then a chewy, tough EXPENSIVE steak but to be honest I would have said something about it to the server this way they have a chance in making it right, not sure why some just sit and take it, it is YOUR money......

Now we had the pleasure in eating there twice this past August and loved both meals. It was the first meal we had and the last dinner during our trip, both were spot on and so good, service was awesome as we had zero complaints, it was the highlight meal(s) of our trip and would definitely go again! BUT would not hesitate in trying something different, as a matter of fact our last meal was supposed to be Flying Fish but plans got changed and we were in the MK and CG was a short walk and so easy to get too and they had openings so why not.....

CG is a lovely place but I don't know that I've loved everything I've ever had there. I'm not a big steak guy, but if I had a dud on one occasion I'd definitely order something else on a return visit.

Other family members have had some fantastic beef at Citrico's. We've also enjoyed Shula's, and YS.:earsboy:

Of the two we have only eaten at CG but based on the current menus I would go to Flying Fish.

As others have said you should have definitely complained to your server. Any restaurant, especially a high end one, should deal with quality issues. The worst steak I have ever eaten was in a high end steak house here in Toronto (requested rare but it was well done) and they replaced it with no questions asked.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter