Can I go to the “No Bags Security” with a tiny purse?

I actually regularly go through the bagless line with a sling bag.

Well, not really. You go through with things in your pockets. If you went through with the bag full and on your shoulder, you’d need to be in the bag line.

I used to go through the no bag line with a fanny pack on all the time. Nobody ever said anything. But it also seems they are more stringent these days.

Several years ago my then husband tried to go through the no bag line. He had a cellphone case that clipped with a caribiner to his belt loop. They could see the caribiner so they sent him to join us in the bag line. Next time he unclipped it and put it in his pocket.

This is why I wear cargo shorts. My phone goes in my pocket, and that’s all I need to take in. It was very different when the kids were still in buggies though haha!

Does anyone but me appreciate the humor in people being worried about going through the security lines as if 2 minutes was going to make or break their vacation? I don't ever recall having spent over 5 minutes in a line and it's usually 2-3 at most. People worry about the darndest things.

I go through the no bag line all the time with "water bottle carriers." Basically - insulators that fit over a water bottle and clearly hold nothing else. I'm carry a water bottle with insulation around it on a strap - its not a bag. Note - I have done this with the sling from Hydroflask. I have never been told this is bag.

Now - if I combine that with cargo shorts - that probably means I am going through the metal detector - but that's because of the cargo shorts.

Does anyone but me appreciate the humor in people being worried about going through the security lines as if 2 minutes was going to make or break their vacation? I don't ever recall having spent over 5 minutes in a line and it's usually 2-3 at most. People worry about the darndest things.
Depending on the location and time of day, bag check has taken up to 15 minutes, especially at park opening, if the ferry just dumped off 600 people or the monorail emptied at Epcot.

ETA: back before ferry security was moved to TTC.

I really think it depends on the particular security person. About a month ago, at AK, I went through the no-bag line (I truly wasn’t carrying anything). At the same time, a woman with something small, as described by OP, also went through that same no-bag line. She held the wallet up, spread wide-open, and the security person nodded and waved her through. I was very surprised, as I had thought, like PPs, that any bag had to go through bag-check.
An exception not a rule. I'd never suggest anyone try or even expect this
99% of them will redirect the guest to the bag check, not check it themselves and allow them in.

It's not the size or string across your body that is at issue or makes it a bag. It's that things can hold things inside them that make them a bag. If it is a bag made to hold generic items, even if it's tiny, then it's a bag.

If you have a phone case on a string and it doesn't serve as anything but just a case for your phone (i.e. it's made to fit your model phone), and at most can have slots for credit cards, no pockets then you can use the no bag line. I had the Minnie Bow version sold at Disney for the longest (until it broke and the are no longer sold) and entered many many times. I was able to turn it to show that it was a phone case and nothing more and they always waved me through.

If you have a bottle holder that goes cross body and just attaches to the lid of a bottle of water (like the Mickey Hand version sold at Disney) then you can use the no bag line.

I go through the no bag check line with my diabetic pouch, and I just walk through with it wide open and they wave me through. But I also will go through bag check with it if I just want to stay with my group members, and when they see it they give me that wave like "what are you even doing here?"diabetic pouch.jpg

It's not the size or string across your body that is at issue or makes it a bag. It's that things can hold things inside them that make them a bag. If it is a bag made to hold generic items, even if it's tiny, then it's a bag.

But then...really...what’s the difference between a bag and a pocket? They both hold stuff. And, some pockets are bigger than some bags. 😂

OK...just so I’m clear about how this works and we make sure no “bad guys” get through security....

Bag Check Line:
0FD6CCDF-F25D-4BD8-BCDA-57D0245FC48B.jpeg

No Bag Line:
FC1F76D3-ED21-4F4A-82DE-5676690F50F0.jpeg

Definite Bag Check Line:
C17103D6-1E30-47E1-83AC-F2059A0052C8.jpeg

No Bag Line:
E75FCE19-DFB6-4A21-B286-364D69EC4817.jpeg

No Bag Line (but they may pull her aside for that selfie stick she’s holding):
351CB618-03B2-4F2D-AF4A-FD3FF67328CB.jpeg

Just a little Friday fun...happy weekend everyone!!

Last edited:
Well said. It's a whole new world and were not going back. Glad they take the time to keep us safe.

But then...really...what’s the difference between a bag and a pocket? They both hold stuff. And, some pockets are bigger than some bags. 😂
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not any safer with these checks than I was before them. Or any less safe.
They'll eventually send everyone through metal detectors which will get everything in pockets.
Of course, then you just let the kiddos be the mule, since they aren't sent through. LOL (jk)

Well said. It's a whole new world and were not going back. Glad they take the time to keep us safe.

Oh I didn't say that. I didn't say that at all. I think what they're doing is covering their own behinds, but that being what it is, it is what it is.

I like security. At our airport, at least once a week they find something. Last month a loaded hand gun with one in the chamber from a flight attendant who claims she didn't know if was in her carry on. Disney security as well as the sheriffs that patrol are a 10+++.

And by tiny I mean *tiny*.

I have no problem with most of the security checkpoints, but I hate Epcot’s. It is always so congested and crowded and it stresses me out for some weird reason.

My purse is tiny. It’s literally a wallet with a crossbody strap. Will they let me through the “no bags” line or will they turn me away and make me go through the regular security? I’ve gone through the “no bags” section before with this purse but I am wondering what is the biggest tiny purse you can have that they will let through that section of security?

No bags is NO bags is no bags. Your ‘tiny purse’ is a bag.

I've been in 15 minute bag check lines before with long massive crowds. People worry though because they get nervous and anxious just like with airport security when they have to remove bags & things.

Until its NOT 2 minutes & then its a problem.

There's been discussion on how bad EP can get. In June 2019 it was easily 30 min. It was a solid wall of people. They opened a section of fencing farther back to create the 'bagless entry' to try and get as many people out of this holding area. Everyone was evaluating if they could in any way possibly clear the bagless entry. Or, even condense & split groups up so bodies could be removed from the masses. Send a few in with multiple bags, everyone else in as 'bagless' & relax to wait on other side.

Not a pic I took of the day I describe above. But, a pretty good representation of what a security could look like, if you time it just right.

Attachments

• th (2).jpeg
    th (2).jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter