Can we have a Food Thread for each Park?? What are your favorites?? Unique food? Favorite Table Service and Counter service. Not to be missed

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I'm in the researching stage of our TDR trip for 24 and I'm a little intimidated by the food choices. I guess because I'm unfamiliar. I also have a shellfish allergy and don't eat seafood :blush:. My family eats sushi and shrimp so I'm the odd man out. I'm willing to adapt by eating a lot of veggies and noodles. I'm not overly fussy but I guess nervous because it's so different but isn't that why we travel to meet other people and experience different cultures. This will probably our only trip to Japan. My one son will be doing a semester abroad in the region so it's a fabulous opportunity for the family. Thank you for the kindness that I have always found on the board and your generous nature in sharing your knowledge and answering questions from newbies like me :hug:

Of course there can be separate threads. That won't stop people from starting threads like, "Has anyone been to Le Cellier? Is it worth it?"

Of course there can be separate threads. That won't stop people from starting threads like, "Has anyone been to Le Cellier? Is it worth it?"
Or "What is the best steakhouse on property!?" And have... every single restaurant which remotely qualifies as a steakhouse listed in the responses. 😂 Bonus: the OP will never come back to provide additional info or specifications. The thread will go to 5 pages anyway.

I guess the thing with Tokyo is that it is sooo different and a little intimidating to people like me that haven't been to Japan. It is also what makes it so exciting. I've been reading for a few weeks and people who post don't seem to really review the restaurants or food choices. For a hyper planner like me I'm interested in all your opinions - food, hotel, rides and how you got to TDR. I think there are a lot of people who are curious like me and appreciate people who have experiences input. Most people on these boards are very kind and generous with their knowledge and it is very much valued. Doesn't have to be a single thread.

For theming, I'd say Grandma Sara's and Queen of Hearts in TDL, Vulcania in Disneysea (food is especially good too). Probably Magellan too, but we haven't been.

My favorite food is the curry at Hungry Bear. I'd go back to TDL just to eat that lol. Unique foods, I'd say all the different popcorn flavors and the alien mochi are super cute.

TDL - The China Voyager, all the locals eat here for a reason. I think it's like 1300 yen ($9) for a bowl of ramen, dessert, and a drink. It was super delicious and well worth it, very fulfilling and it was easy to find a place to sit. Then I went to the crepe place in new orleans, the strawberry pistachio one was amazing. Of course, I got a mickey waffle as well from the Great American Waffle Company, and it was what you expect.

If you have a seafood allergy, I’d consider going to places that don’t serve seafood at all—more for your own comfort, especially if you are sensitive to cross contamination. I would make sure you have both a screen shot and physically printed index card (or something similar in size) clearly outlining your allergies (and whether or not you worried about cross contamination) in Japanese — it can be loud and crowded and it’s easiest to show it in writing. I also got the sense that fish stock is used as a base for a lot of soups. The good news is that Japanese law requires labeling/disclosing the major allergy categories, so the restaurants should be able to steer you in the right direction if you are willing to be flexible.

I loved Gaston’s Tavern in TDL (they made a sandwich with French toast that I’m still dreaming about). I’m pretty sure that the place where we got stuffed naan in the port of Arabia (tasted like Ragu inside warm breadstick) was also fish free but not certain. My favorite place in DisneySea is Sakura, but it’s pretty fish heavy.

When in doubt, there are ice cream stands, popcorn stands, and churros everywhere. We always bring a couple Lara bars or Cliff bar or similar every time we visit a Disney park just in case we are stuck in a longer than expected lIne with hangry children. Nobody gave us any trouble about it in Japan, but you might want a second index card that says “severe allergies, limited diet, for emergency use” in case anybody tries to take it away from you.

Thanks so much everyone. I can't wait to try all the popcorns - they look so amazing. The popcorn buckets are next level. I think I will need a suitcase just for them, they all look so cool. WDW really needs to step up their game.

If you are a planner then you def need to go check out Chris' e-guide on TDR Explorer. Its an amazing comprehensive guide and will tell you everything you need to know. We have been twice pre pandemic and his guide helped so much. We are going again this fall and his newest version covers all the updates since we were there in 2019

If you are a planner then you def need to go check out Chris' e-guide on TDR Explorer. Its an amazing comprehensive guide and will tell you everything you need to know. We have been twice pre pandemic and his guide helped so much. We are going again this fall and his newest version covers all the updates since we were there in 2019
I also found it to be thorough and worth the time it takes to read (and the money, I think it’s like $20?).

You reminded me that I took dozens of screenshots of stuff I wanted to be able to quickly reference in the parks—so here’s an example of a few things I saved to get a sense of what a great resource it is.

Attachments

• IMG_9189.jpeg
    IMG_9189.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9188.jpeg
    IMG_9188.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter