• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should update also that we recently cancelled an NCL cruise for this Thanksgiving because we purchased dvc (resale!) and have double "extra" points we have to use this year. So we are buying annual passes and will be at wdw 4x from this July to next May (after which we probably will never want to go to wdw again. Lol). All trips scheduled around federal holidays to maximize vacation! We have a short dcl cruise scheduled in December which we will probably cancel because it is such an odd year for us. But otherwise our next cruise will be on the Panorama summer 2020. I will still be follow along to see where everyone is going and cruising vicariously until then! :sail:

Cool! Which DVC is your "home"?

The last time on the Fantasy was 2014 for a western Caribbean cruise. The ports for this cruise are; St Kitts, Martinique, Antigua, St Thomas and Castaway Cay, plus 3 sea days. This will also be the first time sailing as all adults so we’ll be able to experience Serenity at CC and be able to go as a family to Satellite Falls and the adults only areas on the ship. We’ll essentially be empty nesters after that summer, as both of our kids will be off to college in Northern Arizona.

HS anyone stayed at the Homewood Suites in Port Canaveral? I’m pretty sure we’ll stay there the night before the cruise and Uber to the port.

Amazing itinerary. :)

Cool! Which DVC is your "home"?
Saratoga. We have never stayed there but it was the best value. We are flexible so we do not mind where we stay. We have always been interested in Dvc but never liked the price and just didn't want to commit. But we have realized our kids are not going to grow out of disney. We thought they would, but it is still our 16 year olds favorite vacation and our other 2 love disney parks also. And... we found out about resale. Wow. So much less expensive.

Welcome, @pattyw ! FYI, you don't have to read the whole thread LOL but you might be very interested in the infos and links posted in the first post. Feel free to ask any question you want! :)

Bump.
242 days, 6 hours, and 2 minutes countdown for me. At least the kids are getting better with the thoughts of going on a Carnival cruise. When I was looking at 2021 Carnival cruises, my DD asked, well, don't you think we could do another Disney one instead? Um, maybe. Military rates tend to not come out until a couple of months before, and sometimes, even those rates, oh my. Maybe I'll do a on board booking, then move it or cancel it. I'll be seeing if she asks the same question, after we sail.

Enjoy reading this thread.

Bump.
242 days, 6 hours, and 2 minutes countdown for me. At least the kids are getting better with the thoughts of going on a Carnival cruise. When I was looking at 2021 Carnival cruises, my DD asked, well, don't you think we could do another Disney one instead? Um, maybe. Military rates tend to not come out until a couple of months before, and sometimes, even those rates, oh my. Maybe I'll do a on board booking, then move it or cancel it. I'll be seeing if she asks the same question, after we sail.

Enjoy reading this thread.

It's very personal but I think it's good to alternate between cruise lines.

When on Carnival, I'd miss a thing or two of Disney. When on Disney, I'd miss a thing or two of Carnival. Now I'm going to try RCCL. We have two RCCL in a row... After that, I hope I can go back to DCL and Carnival or try NCL/Celebrity/Princess/Holland?

Repeating the same experience over and over is not my cup of tea. Skipping a cruise makes me crave going back again. :)

When on Carnival, I'd miss a thing or two of Disney. When on Disney, I'd miss a thing or two of Carnival. Now I'm going to try RCCL. We have two RCCL in a row... After that, I hope I can go back to DCL and Carnival or try NCL/Celebrity/Princess/Holland?

Repeating the same experience over and over is not my cup of tea. Skipping a cruise makes me crave going back again. :)

Oh I do too. While I did enjoy my Disney cruises, I am always open to do other things. As my kids become adults, prices tend to be higher for everything. But I agree, we all enjoy cruising when we can. I'd like to try a Royal one too, so I'll be happy to read your thoughts on both of your cruises with them. I thinking of trying Princess as well, they keep emailing me, but not so much NCL, not fond of some of their routes. Kids are begging for a river cruise in Europe, so that's on my radar as well.

So many choices, and that's a good thing.

Were the same way, I think it’s great to go back and forth. I didn’t realize we were doing that, but since 2015, all of our cruises have been alternating between Disney and Carnival. I really want to branch out to RCCL, but my wife has no desire to try them. I think when we take our first cruise without the kids it’s going to be Celebrity. I love their ships and think it would be such a classy experience.

Were the same way, I think it’s great to go back and forth. I didn’t realize we were doing that, but since 2015, all of our cruises have been alternating between Disney and Carnival. I really want to branch out to RCCL, but my wife has no desire to try them. I think when we take our first cruise without the kids it’s going to be Celebrity. I love their ships and think it would be such a classy experience.

Any particular reasons why?

As I am currently studying RCCL in anticipation of my upcoming cruise with them, I find that they seem to be the "best of both worlds" between Carnival and Disney Cruise Line.

We cruise both Carnival and RCCL. We did our first on Carnival then 3 on RCL, went back to Carnival and have two more booked there as kiddo said it was "more fun" but I'm then looking at RCL for after those. I have asked if he wanted to do Disney, with the caveat that it costs more so we wouldn't be able to go as often. He prefers to cruise more even though he thinks the Disney ships look like a lot of fun, and he would love to do a Star Wars cruise.

Our very first cruise was supposed to be on Disney, I had booked but then the Canadian dollar started to drop and it became so much more to pay. We ended up choosing Carnival for the itinerary, we almost went on RCL that time and I imagine if we had we probably would have been to scared to try Carnival after that. It is funny the preconceived notions people have about certain cruise lines though. I told a friend I was going on Carnival and she said she had "heard things" but she'd never been on it so she left it at that and said to do my own research.

Any way! 310 days until I'm on the Carnival Magic again :) but 108 until we are back at Disney!

Any particular reasons why?

As I am currently studying RCCL in anticipation of my upcoming cruise with them, I find that they seem to be the "best of both worlds" between Carnival and Disney Cruise Line.
I think the main two reasons are:

1-Royal seems more of a physical entertainment cruiseline. She likes to do more trivia and passive entertainment things, she has no desire for zip lining, ice skating or anything like that.

2-It really bothers her that they have no self serve laundry rooms on board. I know, that’s kind of a weird one, but that’s how she rolls. She goes through a ton of clothes on a daily basis and needs to do laundry in order to only take only 1 giant suitcase on a week long cruise.

She’s not worried about price or service on Royal, actually she has a lot of respect for them as a cruiseline, it’s just not for her.

I think the main two reasons are:

1-Royal seems more of a physical entertainment cruiseline. She likes to do more trivia and passive entertainment things, she has no desire for zip lining, ice skating or anything like that.

2-It really bothers her that they have no self serve laundry rooms on board. I know, that’s kind of a weird one, but that’s how she rolls. She goes through a ton of clothes on a daily basis and needs to do laundry in order to only take only 1 giant suitcase on a week long cruise.

She’s not worried about price or service on Royal, actually she has a lot of respect for them as a cruiseline, it’s just not for her.
I get it!

1- How about the smaller ships? Like the Brilliance & Radiance?

2- Yeah, you are right, they do not have laundry rooms.

They charge 35$/bag to clean up clothes and fold them. I don't think it's that bad... Maybe someday I'll spend a little $ on that little luxury. :)

I travel with a carry-on only, I can fit 8 or 9 outfits & 2 bathing suits in there and I wash clothes by hand (if necessary) and suspend everything in the shower so I usually don't need to use the machines.

Wow ! That's great! I haven't learned how to pack light!! I'm trying to get better, but at the last minute, I always have to add the "just in case" stuff!

I learned by watching videos on youtube how to "roll" my clothes. It works like magic!

My challenge with packing light is 1-toiletries: even with travel size, paring down etc I still have a lot. I spend too much money on cut and color for my hair to go cheapy on shampoo and styling products.
2-I could still get away with fairly light but when we travel with the kids it's near impossible.Even thought it's just the teens with us in June I paid for 3 checked bags on way down. coming home we get a free checked and carryon each so not worried about expanding then. Travel size won't cut it with 4 people-we each need a travel size lol!

My challenge with packing light is 1-toiletries: even with travel size, paring down etc I still have a lot. I spend too much money on cut and color for my hair to go cheapy on shampoo and styling products.
2-I could still get away with fairly light but when we travel with the kids it's near impossible.Even thought it's just the teens with us in June I paid for 3 checked bags on way down. coming home we get a free checked and carryon each so not worried about expanding then. Travel size won't cut it with 4 people-we each need a travel size lol!
The morning we were leaving for the airport on one of our cruises, I picked up one of my wife’s medium sized suitcases and about pulled my arm out of my socket. I questioned her on what was in it, she looked at me like I was an idiot and replied, “my shoes and purses, were going for a week you know.” That was the last cruise that one whole suitcase was devoted to shoes and purses!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter