CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a long day of yard work, I've been sitting here researching cruises for next year! :cool1: So I was completely sold on the Horizon sailing but I started diving too far into the Carnival website! What would you all choose?

Carnival Horizon: 8 nights out of Miami. Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba.

Carnival Breeze: 7 nights out of Port Canaveral. Ports are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay.

Two adults sailing and both would be new ships for us. Horizon is approximately $300 more. We would probably get inside cabins on either sailing. Most ports on both sailings are new for us, except for Grand Turk & Cozumel. Honestly, I'm a little over Grand Turk as we've been on our last 2 cruises and think I would enjoy Cozumel more. We do love 8 day sailings, but the Breeze sailing would also require one less day off from work. And we are planning a WDW trip next fall.

Also random, DH does not like the Horizon/Vista atrium :laughing: He loves stepping onboard and having that huge open lobby space, which I enjoy as well. Don't worry, I've already prepared him for the DCL lobbies!

Any input?

While for me I would probably pick the 8 night because I love Aruba and Curacao plus enjoying the extra night on board; given your thoughts though, you may want to select the Breeze. The atrium is more traditional, you save a vacation day for WDW, and it's still 4 ports with several new ones for you. Miami is easier to fly in same day but Port Canaveral means that you could pop into Disney Springs or stay 1 night pre cruise at a WDW hotel if you needed an urgent Disney fix.

After a long day of yard work, I've been sitting here researching cruises for next year! :cool1: So I was completely sold on the Horizon sailing but I started diving too far into the Carnival website! What would you all choose?

Carnival Horizon: 8 nights out of Miami. Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba.

Carnival Breeze: 7 nights out of Port Canaveral. Ports are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay.

Two adults sailing and both would be new ships for us. Horizon is approximately $300 more. We would probably get inside cabins on either sailing. Most ports on both sailings are new for us, except for Grand Turk & Cozumel. Honestly, I'm a little over Grand Turk as we've been on our last 2 cruises and think I would enjoy Cozumel more. We do love 8 day sailings, but the Breeze sailing would also require one less day off from work. And we are planning a WDW trip next fall.

Also random, DH does not like the Horizon/Vista atrium :laughing: He loves stepping onboard and having that huge open lobby space, which I enjoy as well. Don't worry, I've already prepared him for the DCL lobbies!

Any input?
I haven’t been on either, but did the 8 night itinerary on Vista and loved it, especially Curaçao. I’m also a huge fan of the Skyride so I really like Horizon for that reason. But on the other hand, I believe the Breeze is Carnivals most beloved ship. I don’t think you could go wrong either way, but I’d do Horizon just for the extra night, it really does make a huge difference. We did that as a B2B with the 6 night Western and the passengers attitudes were night and day. Everyone was way more relaxed and chill about everything, like they didn’t have a care in the world.

Any input?

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I prefer the longer cruise, but I also like to go from Port Canaveral just to add on a bit of Disney :) Breeze is highly thought of and those ports are nice. I am going on an 8-night on Magic to HMC, Grand Turk, Curacao and Aruba. But we did that Breeze itinerary last year (only on Magic) and really enjoyed it. Not much help :) I do agree with the Cozumel vs Grand Turk though, I think I could go to Cozumel a dozen times and always find something new to try, while Grand Turk is the same every time.

Any input?

Not a fan of Grand Turk but Aruba and Curaçao + the Horizon sound soooo nice!

That being said, it sounds like the Breeze is a better fit for you.

I love everyone’s opinions and I agree with pretty much all of them. I LOVE the 8 day sailings and I don’t know if I can pass up Aruba and Curaçao. And the ability to sail of a new ship, which we’ve never done, is pretty enticing too. DH might have to deal with his less than ideal atrium for this one! :rotfl: Thanks everyone!

I love everyone’s opinions and I agree with pretty much all of them. I LOVE the 8 day sailings and I don’t know if I can pass up Aruba and Curaçao. And the ability to sail of a new ship, which we’ve never done, is pretty enticing too. DH might have to deal with his less than ideal atrium for this one! :rotfl: Thanks everyone!

He doesn't like the atrium but he might love the layout (so much exterior areas!) and what it has to offer.

I know you said inside cabin, but if you could get any cabin on Horizon in the Havana area, I would do that since it is just the two of you and you would have that nice area to use all day long instead of the kid soup pools. Breeze does not have the Havana option.

So this is only my second cruise that’s coming up, but I got a call yesterday for an upgrade from balcony to Grand Suite for $478. I took it, as there’s four of us and the extra room will be fabulous! Plus I returned the FTTF and got a refund on that. It’s a room that sleeps five, so kids will still have their own bed.

So this is only my second cruise that’s coming up, but I got a call yesterday for an upgrade from balcony to Grand Suite for $478. I took it, as there’s four of us and the extra room will be fabulous! Plus I returned the FTTF and got a refund on that. It’s a room that sleeps five, so kids will still have their own bed.
That is awesome, I’d definitely take that! Congratulations

How much was the FTTF for that sailing?

Sounds like you got a great deal from the upgrade fairy!

We’re boarding the Vista in a few days going to Cozumel, Honduras and Belize. If anybody has a specific question about the ship or itinerary that I can answer when I get back let me know. This will be our first time flying in the morning of a cruise and our first time sailing out of Galveston. I’ll definitely be posting when I get back and will include pictures. We only have one excursion planned and that’s in Roatan, we’re going to play with sloths and monkeys.

We’re boarding the Vista in a few days going to Cozumel, Honduras and Belize. If anybody has a specific question about the ship or itinerary that I can answer when I get back let me know. This will be our first time flying in the morning of a cruise and our first time sailing out of Galveston. I’ll definitely be posting when I get back and will include pictures. We only have one excursion planned and that’s in Roatan, we’re going to play with sloths and monkeys.

What are you doing in Cozumel and Belize?

What are you doing in Cozumel and Belize?
Nothing planned for either, just get off the ship and shop/walk around. I may rent a road bike in Cozumel and take a 20-30 mile ride but haven’t decided yet. The bike rental place doesn’t have any group rides schedule for that day and I’m a little nervous about heading out on my own.

I’d like to do a beach at either location but haven’t convinced the family. They’d rather get back on the ship and eat Guy’s or BI and hang out by the pool. I really can’t blame them for that, she’s such a great ship.

Nothing planned for either, just get off the ship and shop/walk around. I may rent a road bike in Cozumel and take a 20-30 mile ride but haven’t decided yet. The bike rental place doesn’t have any group rides schedule for that day and I’m a little nervous about heading out on my own.

I’d like to do a beach at either location but haven’t convinced the family. They’d rather get back on the ship and eat Guy’s or BI and hang out by the pool. I really can’t blame them for that, she’s such a great ship.

I would have recommended "El Mirador" (Cozumel) as a nice outside-the-box spot to visit but it's kinda far away from the port.

Did you ever go to Mr. Sanchos? I've made a reservation for the family over there for our next stop to Cozumel. Can't wait to see how it is.

I would have recommended "El Mirador" (Cozumel) as a nice outside-the-box spot to visit but it's kinda far away from the port.

Did you ever go to Mr. Sanchos? I've made a reservation for the family over there for our next stop to Cozumel. Can't wait to see how it is.
We have not, but that’s what where we were considering and may still go. I’ll let you know what we think if we do.

So... According to our International News, Trump Administration has banned travel to Cuba (including cruises) starting tomorrow.

I want to tell everyone that might be impacted by this change that I am extremely sorry that you are experiencing changes of itinerary and/or cancellation.

I, for myself, am extremely disappointed. Even thought we (Canadians) are not impacted by that ban, a cruise stopping in Havana has been on "my list" for years. :guilty:

p.s.: John Heald posted this on FB:

"As as so many of you have been asking about our Cuba cruises following the latest news from the US Government I wanted to advise you of the following. We are currently evaluating the recent announcements regarding Cuba and will have additional information in the very near future. If any adjustments are needed to our itineraries, booked guests and their travel advisors will be notified. We thank you for your patience.
I will share all the news as soon as I have any and will be back on Thursday as normal to answer all your questions."

Anyone know what brought this decision on? I haven’t been following this. We haven’t considered any Cuba cruises because they seem more expensive than others. Dh isn’t too interested in going there either, but I am open to going anywhere. I keep pushing the Panama Canal, but dh isn’t into that either.

Anyone know what brought this decision on? I haven’t been following this. We haven’t considered any Cuba cruises because they seem more expensive than others. Dh isn’t too interested in going there either, but I am open to going anywhere. I keep pushing the Panama Canal, but dh isn’t into that either.

Can’t really say without getting political.

That said, when I cruised to Cuba (twice), I found the people to be some of the warmest, most genuine people I have met anywhere. They have no issues with us. It is the governments that cannot get along. And blaming them for what their government does is like blaming US citizens for what ours does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter