• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn’t think we could like Carnival nearly as much as DCL. We are definitely a Disney family, I’m a former Disney Operations Manager and we have consumed tons of the Disney Kool Aid. Just keep in mind it’s not going to be the same experience. It’s a great time but a different experience. We’re doing the same Vista cruise that you’re considering in 2 weeks, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Awesome cant wait to hear your experience

Awesome that's great to know. Did you do the slumber party hours for him at all?
We haven't. He wasn't interested. I am hoping he will on one of the upcoming cruises but we are often in bed by 10 :) early birds and just so busy all day.

We haven't. He wasn't interested. I am hoping he will on one of the upcoming cruises but we are often in bed by 10 :) early birds and just so busy all day.

My kids and I are the opposite night owls lol. The one thing I love about Disney is the Kids Club is open until 12 or midnight. So I a feeling I'll probably be paying for him to stay until 1 because my older two would get to stay that long. :rolleyes:

My kids and I are the opposite night owls lol. The one thing I love about Disney is the Kids Club is open until 12 or midnight. So I a feeling I'll probably be paying for him to stay until 1 because my older two would get to stay that long. :rolleyes:
You could look at the family harbor rooms on Horizon or Vista. The do cost a bit more but I believe you get at least one free night of night owls and the family harbor lounge which serves breakfast, snacks, ice cream and has video games and movies. We are staying in one on Horizon next year and I cant wait to check it out.

You could look at the family harbor rooms on Horizon or Vista. The do cost a bit more but I believe you get at least one free night of night owls and the family harbor lounge which serves breakfast, snacks, ice cream and has video games and movies. We are staying in one on Horizon next year and I cant wait to check it out.

I was just looking at this last night and I agree I think it would be would be perfect for us. Issue is I need 2 rooms in that category near each other. Not really finding it bur I will keep searching :sad2:

I was just looking at this last night and I agree I think it would be would be perfect for us. Issue is I need 2 rooms in that category near each other. Not really finding it bur I will keep searching :sad2:
Could you do one of the family harbor suites? They sleep 5 and have the split bath like DCL but better because they have 2 showers, one stand up and the other is a tub/shower combo.

Could you do one of the family harbor suites? They sleep 5 and have the split bath like DCL but better because they have 2 showers, one stand up and the other is a tub/shower combo.

Does it have separate Sleeping areas? My boyfriend will be traveling with us and it will be our 1st "family" vacation so I wanted to get 2 rooms.

Whatever you do, if you pick Family Harbour cabins, avoid booking under the galley. I've heard lots of complains about noise.

Thanks for this Thread Looking to book a Carnival Cruise for the Fall.

So background I have a DCL cruise book currently but unfortuntely due to some recent financial issues looking to travel on a less expensive option. This actually will be my 3rd Cruise booking win the last year. I had to cancel my RCCL booking because I'm having surgery this summer so it cancelled my trip to Europe. :sad:

Right now trying to narrow down the Ship and Itinerary I want. I've cruised on 3 Carnival Sailings but only 2 Ships Carnival Triumph and Carnival Destiny which have both been renamed lol. But both experiences were amazing. But they were all 9 years or more ago. I've been on 1 DCL sailing Dream to the Bahamas in 2015. Since that's are most recent cruise it's the one my kids remember most. I personally want to avoid the Bahamas and they could careless. :upsidedow So right now I'm focused on Ships my options for the time I want to Sail are Sensations, Magic, Paradise, Conquest, Vista and Horizon.

I've read some reviews here on Sensations, Magic and Conquest. Has anyone been on the other three? What were your thoughts?

TIA

In your situation I would eliminate the Sensation and Paradise. They are smaller ships without a lot of the bells and whistles that Carnival is becoming known for.

The Carnival Magic is a great ship - I sailed on the sister ship, the Carnival Dream with my 16 turning 17 year old god daughter. She loved it. Seriously - loved it.

It has many of the new food options (Guy's burgers, Guy's BBQ, Blue Iguana, Pasta Bar), plus great waterslide area and updated kid/teen areas.

My recommendation is to see if there are 2 porthole cabins available; they are classed as interiors but are the size of oceanview cabins and have 2 round porthole windows. they are located low and towards the front of the ship. Easy to get off and on at the ports.

Whatever you do, if you pick Family Harbour cabins, avoid booking under the galley. I've heard lots of complains about noise.

Thanks so it looks like the Family Harbor Cabin are pretty much sold out on both ships. :sad1:

In your situation I would eliminate the Sensation and Paradise. They are smaller ships without a lot of the bells and whistles that Carnival is becoming known for.

The Carnival Magic is a great ship - I sailed on the sister ship, the Carnival Dream with my 16 turning 17 year old god daughter. She loved it. Seriously - loved it.

It has many of the new food options (Guy's burgers, Guy's BBQ, Blue Iguana, Pasta Bar), plus great waterslide area and updated kid/teen areas.

My recommendation is to see if there are 2 porthole cabins available; they are classed as interiors but are the size of oceanview cabins and have 2 round porthole windows. they are located low and towards the front of the ship. Easy to get off and on at the ports.

Thanks for the recommendation I will defintely look into it.

We booked two family harbor insides on the Mardi Gras. The rooms are on deck 4. Maybe they moved them up a couple of decks due to the noise issue. I'm not sure what's above us on deck 5, but I'm assuming it's just staterooms.

I like the look of the new boards.

We booked two family harbor insides on the Mardi Gras. The rooms are on deck 4. Maybe they moved them up a couple of decks due to the noise issue. I'm not sure what's above us on deck 5, but I'm assuming it's just staterooms.

I like the look of the new boards.

Mardi Gras has a totally new deck plan, so 4 is the lowest deck. I think the new plan looks really nice, I believe the galley is at the back of deck 4 now. Deck 5 is cabins yes. 6, 7 & 8 are public spaces, dining rooms, shops, theatre etc. Then 9 to 15 are cabins again, and 16 to 19 are the "fun" stuff like pools, ropes course, roller coaster, buffet, guys burgers (mmm) etc.

Mardi Gras has a totally new deck plan, so 4 is the lowest deck. I think the new plan looks really nice, I believe the galley is at the back of deck 4 now. Deck 5 is cabins yes. 6, 7 & 8 are public spaces, dining rooms, shops, theatre etc. Then 9 to 15 are cabins again, and 16 to 19 are the "fun" stuff like pools, ropes course, roller coaster, buffet, guys burgers (mmm) etc.
That’s a lot of stairs to climb! My quads are burning just thinking about it. I hope the elevators aren’t too busy. I was so excited about the itinerary and new ship I didn’t really look at the floor plan. I wonder where the teen club will be.

That’s a lot of stairs to climb! My quads are burning just thinking about it. I hope the elevators aren’t too busy. I was so excited about the itinerary and new ship I didn’t really look at the floor plan. I wonder where the teen club will be.

Deck 17 has The Warehouse, Circle C and Club O2. I think those are the teen club spaces.

It looks like they will have a lot of elevators, and I suspect they will have the new system that they have on Horizon. You choose the floor you want to go to, select the number of passengers in your party, and it tells you which elevator to take. It takes a bit of getting used to but is supposed to be more efficient, if people use it properly of course. I like to think of all the stair climbing as payment for enjoying the chocolate melting cake and Guys burgers

Deck 17 has The Warehouse, Circle C and Club O2. I think those are the teen club spaces.

It looks like they will have a lot of elevators, and I suspect they will have the new system that they have on Horizon. You choose the floor you want to go to, select the number of passengers in your party, and it tells you which elevator to take. It takes a bit of getting used to but is supposed to be more efficient, if people use it properly of course. I like to think of all the stair climbing as payment for enjoying the chocolate melting cake and Guys burgers

And Pig & Anchor :lovestruc

They have elevators like that at the Hyatt in Vancouver.

These new boards remind me of the WDW magic boards. I've been a member there since 2014 and I'm still not sure what a trophy point is.

They have elevators like that at the Hyatt in Vancouver.

These new boards remind me of the WDW magic boards. I've been a member there since 2014 and I'm still not sure what a trophy point is.
I’ve been a member since 2013 and this is the first time I’ve heard of a trophy point 😂

After a long day of yard work, I've been sitting here researching cruises for next year! :cool1: So I was completely sold on the Horizon sailing but I started diving too far into the Carnival website! What would you all choose?

Carnival Horizon: 8 nights out of Miami. Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba.

Carnival Breeze: 7 nights out of Port Canaveral. Ports are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay.

Two adults sailing and both would be new ships for us. Horizon is approximately $300 more. We would probably get inside cabins on either sailing. Most ports on both sailings are new for us, except for Grand Turk & Cozumel. Honestly, I'm a little over Grand Turk as we've been on our last 2 cruises and think I would enjoy Cozumel more. We do love 8 day sailings, but the Breeze sailing would also require one less day off from work. And we are planning a WDW trip next fall.

Also random, DH does not like the Horizon/Vista atrium :laughing: He loves stepping onboard and having that huge open lobby space, which I enjoy as well. Don't worry, I've already prepared him for the DCL lobbies!

Any input?

After a long day of yard work, I've been sitting here researching cruises for next year! :cool1: So I was completely sold on the Horizon sailing but I started diving too far into the Carnival website! What would you all choose?

Carnival Horizon: 8 nights out of Miami. Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba.

Carnival Breeze: 7 nights out of Port Canaveral. Ports are Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay.

Two adults sailing and both would be new ships for us. Horizon is approximately $300 more. We would probably get inside cabins on either sailing. Most ports on both sailings are new for us, except for Grand Turk & Cozumel. Honestly, I'm a little over Grand Turk as we've been on our last 2 cruises and think I would enjoy Cozumel more. We do love 8 day sailings, but the Breeze sailing would also require one less day off from work. And we are planning a WDW trip next fall.

Also random, DH does not like the Horizon/Vista atrium :laughing: He loves stepping onboard and having that huge open lobby space, which I enjoy as well. Don't worry, I've already prepared him for the DCL lobbies!

Any input?
I would pick the 8 night... but Breeze is awesome. And we love Cozumel too. Can't go wrong with either. Mahogany bay is really nice too. Not huge fans of Belize or la Romana, so they cancel each other out (in my opinion). Aruba and Curacao are awesome. Never been to costa maya but would like to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter