• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started researching some fights and it looks like we can fly Norwegian Air for about $1100 each, so I’ll just book it on my own.

I also just read that if we book excursions in Russia through NCL, we don’t need a tourist visa, but if we book on our own or just want to get off the ship and explore on our own we’ll need to apply for tourist Visas. Kind of bummed about that because we overnight there so are in port for about 32 hours.

There are some independent tour companies that will supply the visas for you. We've not done that itinerary, but I've read a few trip reports of others that have. Check out the trip reports on this forum for that route as well as the Russia specific forum on Cruise Critic and I'm sure you can find some vendors that can supply you the required visas and give you a great tour for much less than any cruise line will.

One thing I will add is that if you think there is any chance you will go through NCL for any excursions double check to make sure you aren't eligible for an additional $50 per port shore excursion credit for declining the free/reduced airfare. Note: this is a seperate offer they have right now in addition to the their normal booking perks you can choose from. Like you guys we prefer to control our airfare ourselves, but were able to call and add the shore excursion credit to a reservation we have for 2021 as we had declined the reduced airfare at booking. We don't book a lot of excursions through the cruise line (though we have done a few when it appeared to make sense), but we figured locking in that discount made sense in case we decided to go that route.

Last edited:
I started researching some fights and it looks like we can fly Norwegian Air for about $1100 each, so I’ll just book it on my own.

I also just read that if we book excursions in Russia through NCL, we don’t need a tourist visa, but if we book on our own or just want to get off the ship and explore on our own we’ll need to apply for tourist Visas. Kind of bummed about that because we overnight there so are in port for about 32 hours.
If you book a tour with an independent company they will supply the visa. There are many companies that offer 2-day tours. I've looked into several and most also offer tours in the other Baltic ports and give a discount if you book for multiple stops.

Last day of work before my vacation! :D In a week from now, I'll be boarding the Mariner of the Seas (we're staying at Universal for a few days before the cruise).

I'm very excited and I'm not gonna lie... As "budget friendly" cruise lines, I can't wait to see how RCCL and Carnival compare! I'm kind of expecting something in between Carnival and Disney Cruise Line when it comes to decor and entertainment.

I can't wait to write a "Triple Threat Match Review" when I come back :)

EDIT: We won the Royal Up bet and have just been upgraded to a "Spacious Panoramic Ocean View Stateroom". I'm so excited. I've always wanted to experience one. :jumping1:

Last edited:

Last day of work before my vacation! :D In a week from now, I'll be boarding the Mariner of the Seas (we're staying at Universal for a few days before the cruise).

I'm very excited and I'm not gonna lie... As "budget friendly" cruise lines, I can't wait to see how RCCL and Carnival compare! I'm kind of expecting something in between Carnival and Disney Cruise Line when it comes to decor and entertainment.

Hope you have a great time! I will be very interested in your review because my daughter and I will be sailing the Mariner in December:flower1:

Last day of work for me too @mevelandry! We are leaving Sunday to drive to New Orleans and Monday we board the Valor. I need this getaway so badly! Enjoy your time away and safe travels.
Have a great time both of you!! Great time of year to hit the sea! I wonder if you will have Halloween 🎃 decorations on board. Can’t wait to hear about your trips.

Last day of work for me too @mevelandry! We are leaving Sunday to drive to New Orleans and Monday we board the Valor. I need this getaway so badly! Enjoy your time away and safe travels.

Hope you both have a great time! Can't wait to hear a RCCL comparison. I'm open to RCCL (I did one quite a few years ago with an ex-boyfriend and just don't remember too much about it :laughing:) but DH just isn't at all. I would also love to hear about sailing out of New Orleans for the future. We'd like to spend a few days there and just being able to combine that with a cruise would be perfect.

Happy sailing!! 🚢🛳

EDIT: We won the Royal Up bet and have just been upgraded to a "Spacious Panoramic Ocean View Stateroom". I'm so excited. I've always wanted to experience one. :jumping1:
So excited for you, those panoramic rooms are awesome! Can hardly wait to hear about it!!!

Hope you both have a great time! Can't wait to hear a RCCL comparison. I'm open to RCCL (I did one quite a few years ago with an ex-boyfriend and just don't remember too much about it :laughing:) but DH just isn't at all. I would also love to hear about sailing out of New Orleans for the future. We'd like to spend a few days there and just being able to combine that with a cruise would be perfect.

Happy sailing!! 🚢🛳
We have sailed from New Orleans twice before. We don't particularly care for the city. We aren't into drinking and partying so not really our scene. Plus it's dirty, smelly and has a really huge homeless problem. The best thing about it is sailing down the Mississippi. That is really neat.

New Orleans definitely has a grunge element. It is almost like a Caribbean city. But we love sailing out of NOLA because the parking is safe and right by the port (like Miami and Canaveral)... plus The port is basically in the city. Most ports (at least the ones we’ve been too) are in industrial areas. Nola’s port is blocks from the French quarter and you can walk right along the Mississippi through the river walk (outlet mall- bonus lol) to get there. Also, food is pretty inexpensive. Lots of reasonable and unique sandwich shops and bakeries as well as historic buildings, many of which you can tour or have been turned into bars and restaurants so you can see them, and there are museums— like the ww2 museum (also within walking distance of the port).
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/It is just a unique city because it was settled by both the French and then the Spanish and then the French. Mevelandry if that is where you are leaving from, you will love the French history there! Not as pretty and French and clean (lol) as Quebec but still lots of French influences and lots to see.

Could you share your Royal Up experience? What did you start with, what was the asking bid, what did you put in as a bid, that sort of thing. We really love Royal now and have more booked for 2020 but I'm not sure how this program actually works. We booked a B2B with a central park balcony, which we LOVE, but would like to try one of the suites. For the cost difference now I wouldn't be bothered but if we could figure out Royal Up and get a good deal we might consider trying.
Thanks for any information you can give.

Is that an upgrade? Hope so!

Yes, sort of. You « bet » a certain amount per person in hopes to be upgraded to a better cabin. We went from the cheapest inside cabin to a « Spacious Panoramic Ocean View » with the minimum bid! Crazy! (About 40$ USD/pp when smaller port holes cabins were starting at 100$ USD more /pp) ...

The Spacious Panoramic Ocean View is like a regular cabin but the port hole goes from the floor to the ceiling and from wall to wall. They were added in 2018 and look amazing.

We have sailed from New Orleans twice before. We don't particularly care for the city. We aren't into drinking and partying so not really our scene. Plus it's dirty, smelly and has a really huge homeless problem. The best thing about it is sailing down the Mississippi. That is really neat.

Even in the French Quarter? That’s disappointing.

New Orleans definitely has a grunge element. It is almost like a Caribbean city. But we love sailing out of NOLA because the parking is safe and right by the port (like Miami and Canaveral)... plus The port is basically in the city. Most ports (at least the ones we’ve been too) are in industrial areas. Nola’s port is blocks from the French quarter and you can walk right along the Mississippi through the river walk (outlet mall- bonus lol) to get there. Also, food is pretty inexpensive. Lots of reasonable and unique sandwich shops and bakeries as well as historic buildings, many of which you can tour or have been turned into bars and restaurants so you can see them, and there are museums— like the ww2 museum (also within walking distance of the port).
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/It is just a unique city because it was settled by both the French and then the Spanish and then the French. Mevelandry if that is where you are leaving from, you will love the French history there! Not as pretty and French and clean (lol) as Quebec but still lots of French influences and lots to see.

You must like Montreal and Quebec City. People disembark in the best area of both cities.

We are departing from Montreal. :) (It’s where we live).

Could you share your Royal Up experience? What did you start with, what was the asking bid, what did you put in as a bid, that sort of thing. We really love Royal now and have more booked for 2020 but I'm not sure how this program actually works. We booked a B2B with a central park balcony, which we LOVE, but would like to try one of the suites. For the cost difference now I wouldn't be bothered but if we could figure out Royal Up and get a good deal we might consider trying.
Thanks for any information you can give.

With great pleasure.

I went on the Royal Up page and entered our sailing info. (Sometimes it will tell you to come back 1 month before your sailing. Depends on the sailing.)

They gave us a choice of three types of cabins we could bet on: Inside Promenade View, Ocean View or Verandah. (I believe people who booked verandah can sometimes bet on suites).

We bet on all three. Now, the bets were all in Canadian Money but if we make the change in USD, the minimum bid for those were, Promenade View 40$ USD/pp, Ocean View 40$ USD/pp and Verandah 100$ USD/pp. You don’t lose any money if your offer is rejected...

I was not expecting to win anything and since we have another cruise coming up soon, I was not able to bet more than the minimum bid. Low expectations. LOL

To my surprise, 7 days before the cruise, we received a « You have been upgraded » email and the new papers we needed for the cruise with the new cabin number. You have to print your papers again because you get new luggage tags, etc. They will send you a new bill with the Royal Up offer included in the total price. They charge your credit card as soon as they accept your offer (same day you receive the response).

When I saw that we received a 1L, I thought it was a small porthole cabin on Deck 1 — I was very happy about it! — then I made a research and it gave me a youtube video of the cabin...

My jaw dropped. I went to my RCCL account to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

I’ve had inside, port holes and verandahs before but never had a panoramic view, and it’s always been on the list of cabins I’d like to have someday. I’m extremely excited.

On top of that, based on videos I’ve seen the cabins are situated around the spa, in a tiny area of the ship on deck 12 (only 30 cabins) we have the Mini-Golf right over us, the gym and the quiet pool right below us, secret doors to get there, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter