CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no cruise booked until December, but watching some of the prices drop (especially on Royal), it sure is tempting! I do worry about being quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks, not so much the virus itself just the reactions of people to the fear of it right now. I can't imagine being confined to a cabin on the ship with my son for 2 weeks...

I agree! These cruise prices and flight prices are so tempting. I almost wish I didn't use that week of vacation time in January! Of I'm sure we could swing something if we lived closer to a port. I already have another week set aside for WDW at the end of September so that's something to look forward to though.

I do think about the quarantine process and just like you, my biggest worry would be being confined to just my cabin with DH for 2 weeks! And considering we had an interior last time, there is a good chance one of us would not have made it out alive if it happened. :rotfl: Just another argument to get a balcony if you're sailing anytime soon!

I have no cruise booked until December, but watching some of the prices drop (especially on Royal), it sure is tempting! I do worry about being quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks, not so much the virus itself just the reactions of people to the fear of it right now. I can't imagine being confined to a cabin on the ship with my son for 2 weeks...

Did the price drop on RCCL? Mine was still higher than what we paid when I checked yesterday.

We have started to think about canceling. Ugh. We are on the fence. We are not worried about the virus at all, but if we sail and get quarantined we cannot afford to take an extra two weeks off from work. I know, belle032, I am thinking if we do sail I will sign up on cc and try to do a blog on the princess forum about sailing during the Coronavirus fear. Our teen begged us not to cancel before he took off for school this morning. He loves the entire idea of being on an real adventure. Lol.
Well, you'll probably get your cruise refunded and a free cruise so there's that to help out financially. I know I still wouldn't want to be quarantined for two weeks. My teen eats up all the drama too, but you know they're kids with no responsibilities. We're cruising out of Copenhagen in August. I've pretty much decided I'm cruising unless DCL cancels.

Did the price drop on RCCL? Mine was still higher than what we paid when I checked yesterday.
DCL has discounted every Baltic cruise before the PIF except mine:confused3. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and then I'll have to consider moving my cruise up a week. Changing flights shouldn't be a problem. I spent months looking for AA saver business class flights with my miles. Now there are multiple flights every day with AA saver rates. I feel really bad for how this is going to affect the travel industry.

There are some between now and May that are very cheap, Symphony for 1700 or so CAD. Two stops in Coco Cay on Mariner for 880CAD. Oasis and Harmony are low as well. At least the ones in May I was looking at.

We are still on the fence, but dammit, dh’s employer is leaning heavily on employees not to cruise. They won’t let employees back to work right away who cruise. Completely crazy. Last night we were leaning towards going, today up in the air. And they upgraded our interior cabin to a deluxe balcony lol.

There are some between now and May that are very cheap, Symphony for 1700 or so CAD. Two stops in Coco Cay on Mariner for 880CAD. Oasis and Harmony are low as well. At least the ones in May I was looking at.

Mine is just in December. Let's just say I won't get my hopes up.

I will admit I am kinda of happy I decided in December to cancel my cruise for next week. I am not sure I would want to cancel it, but I also dont know how I would handle being confined to a cabin for two weeks with my son. On my own, sure ;) but he is high energy and it would be rough.

I wouldn't mind being stuck in a cabin with my husband for 2 weeks... as long as we have a balcony. LOL

Our next cruise is just over a year away. Only concern I have is my dh's job puts him in close contact with clients who travel all over the world. None have been cancelling and his employer is doing business as usual. I went to the store to get some stuff just in case we would need to self quarantine. After realizing it could mean my dd would have to stay home from school I realized I need to go back for what I would REALLY need to survive 2 weeks at home--chocolate and booze!!! Forget the toilet paper and water!!

I did it you guys. Deposit is down for Alaska 2021 on the Norwegian Encore! It feels rather strange to be diving into a new cruise line, I'm usually so confident when it comes to planning cruises or Disney trips, but this will be different for us. Hopefully in a good way! 551 days to go!

In other news, hope everyone is staying healthy and happy and any travel plans aren't being too disrupted!

I did it you guys. Deposit is down for Alaska 2021 on the Norwegian Encore! It feels rather strange to be diving into a new cruise line, I'm usually so confident when it comes to planning cruises or Disney trips, but this will be different for us. Hopefully in a good way! 551 days to go!

In other news, hope everyone is staying healthy and happy and any travel plans aren't being too disrupted!

How exciting!!! We did an Alaskan cruise in 2014 on Disney. It was for my ILs 50th wedding anniversary, with lots of young grandkids. We really enjoyed it. If I were to do Alaska again with just my dh and dd I wouldn't pick DCL. I'd rather spend money on the excursions and not the Disney characters and such.

How exciting!!! We did an Alaskan cruise in 2014 on Disney. It was for my ILs 50th wedding anniversary, with lots of young grandkids. We really enjoyed it. If I were to do Alaska again with just my dh and dd I wouldn't pick DCL. I'd rather spend money on the excursions and not the Disney characters and such.
I totally agree with you. We did Alaska on DCL in 2018, we let our son pick it for his graduation present. I tried so hard to talk him into NCL but he didn’t want it. If we were to go back would definitely be on NCL or RCCL, unless Carnival was to put one of their Dream or Vista class ships there.

Princess cruises has cancelled all operations for 60 days so we are going to wdw.

Ugh I'm sorry! I hope you get to cruise when this *hopefully* starts to wind down. WDW should be a great time though!

Can I ask how Princess is handling the cancellations? Is it a future cruise credit, a refund, etc?

Ugh I'm sorry! I hope you get to cruise when this *hopefully* starts to wind down. WDW should be a great time though!

Can I ask how Princess is handling the cancellations? Is it a future cruise credit, a refund, etc?

Depends on how far away your cruise is. For us it is a choice of 1) 100% refund+100% cruise credit or 2) 225% cruise credit. We are going with the 225% cruise credit because about half of our payment was in princess gift cards anyway, so the cash refund isn’t as valuable for us. We buy the gift cards at the grocery and get fuel points. Also 2% on Disney visa at grocery stores. My husband is a bit worried Princess will go bankrupt and the cruise credit will be pointless, so who knows.

We happen to have annual passes at wdw this year (first time ever), so switching to wdw wasn’t too expensive for us.

I saw NCL is requiring a doctor’s note to board if you are 70+.

I hope in a few weeks everything will calm down Crazy times. Stay healthy and take care to all and keep cruising!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter