CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cancelled refurb is why I wasn't even going to look at Allure now :( hopefully they'll be able to reschedule it soon.

My son is obsessed with water slides so he really wants to go to Coco Cay. We went about 4 years ago before the updates and it was a lovely beach day, but he wants to go back and have the excitement of waterslides.

The slides are fun ... but my husband and I LOVED the wave pool. First wave pool I felt like I was not going to drown in (I’m a bad swimmer).

The slides are fun ... but my husband and I LOVED the wave pool. First wave pool I felt like I was not going to drown in (I’m a bad swimmer).

Thanks, my son loves wave pools too, there is one at Calypso water park near us, and the ones in each of the Disney parks were a lot of fun as well.

Oh... I forgot to mention. On our last two cruises the RCCL ships had a "peek-a-boo bridge" (a window where you can see the bridge and crew). That was really cool.

I never thought I'd be interested in seeing a Behind the scene Tour before but now I am!
The tour is fantastic, we got to go to the bridge, the crew quarters, kitchen, laundry room, and even the engineering room. It was totally fascinating.

We went to Grand Cayman on the first leg of the cruise and I noticed as we were tendering, that Vista had no anchor dropped and was remaining still in the water. Any other time we had been there, the ship always was anchored. I was able to ask the engineer about the lack of anchor on Vista, he told me the new ships are equipped with GPS anchoring systems. When islands would rather they don’t drop an anchor, they set the GPS and the side thrusters will automatically keep the ship in place without an anchor.

There were many things we got to see that were fascinating, I highly recommend a tour if you ever get the chance.

I saw on the WDW website they plan on re-opening 5/10! Woo Hoo, at least we’ll have that as a fall back if we can’t do our cruise.
I don't know about 5/10, but I think definitely 6/1 or soon after. I'm sure the Governor of Florida and Disney have a plan for this. I have a reservation at the WDW at the end of June and in August if my cruise cancels, although I'm still hoping for at least a land trip to Europe in August.
I plan on upgrading my tickets to annual passes. I think this is going to be a good year to visit WDW from a price standpoint.

I wonder what Disneyland will do. Different state different Governor.

Last edited:
No they don't. Where do you see that?

On WDW site it says closed until further notice. ALso allows cancellations with no penalty through June 30. And says you currently cannot book any trip before June 1.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/
I think people are getting confused because they've been slowly cancelling days on the calendar and up until this point they've only "officially" cancelled through 5/9 and reservations after that are still intact. It doesn't mean they're going to open 5/10 though, it just means that they haven't officially changed it to "closed" on the park calendar.

I think people are getting confused because they've been slowly cancelling days on the calendar and up until this point they've only "officially" cancelled through 5/9 and reservations after that are still intact. It doesn't mean they're going to open 5/10 though, it just means that they haven't officially changed it to "closed" on the park calendar.
I figured it was something like that. Universal Orlando announced they are closed through May 31 so I expect WDW is the same. And I would not be surprised if it's until June 30. Or if they do open sometime in June, it will not be everything and maybe just resorts and DS.

People that had their trips cancelled this Spring were offered free dining starting June 1. I think they open in June. They opened the some of the beaches in Florida yesterday and thousands flocked to them. Models now have the death toll prediction in Florida dropping to 1363. People have had enough. They want to go back to living and working.

A lot of people are posting in my Disney FB groups that May 10 is the opening. It's really the website is showing operating hours starting May 10, which unfortunately is not the same thing. I'm hoping for some kind of opening in June, but I don't think it will happen sooner. I won't be mad if I'm wrong though!

No they don't. Where do you see that?

On WDW site it says closed until further notice. ALso allows cancellations with no penalty through June 30. And says you currently cannot book any trip before June 1.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/
I guess that should be clarified, you can book resort stays starting on 5/10 and the website shows park hours starting on those days.

I guess the Florida governor announced schools will remain closed until the end of the year, which was May 28. I just don't see WDW or cruise ports opening until at least June.

Maybe resorts can open up again in some kind of capacity?

I guess the Florida governor announced schools will remain closed until the end of the year, which was May 28. I just don't see WDW or cruise ports opening until at least June.

It wouldn’t make sense to open up school for three weeks .

I dont thinks it’s possible for the parks to be open may 10. All of the employees are furloughed. Even office employees. And park employees Have not been working for awhile. They have not been told any time line of going back to work.

I wish our governor would make an announcement about our schools. My dd wants to go back, but I've told her I doubt they will be re-opening. (I'd love to be wrong, going on our 6th week of no school, ughh!)

Also wishing we had a timeline on schools reopening here... they keep pushing it week by week. Just make the call already!

Any way :) I booked the MSC Seaside for right after the Carnival Horizon we are doing in December. It is really well priced, and only a $49 (CAD) deposit so worst case I'm out fifty bucks. PIF is in September so I am assuming by then I'll have a much better idea if we can actually go. And now I have something to plan, well two weeks of cruises to plan :)

@hdrolfe Would love to hear an MSC review! I’ve seen their ships in port but really don’t know much about them!

I've booked and cancelled cruises on their ships a few times, I am really hoping this one will go ahead. I showed kiddo videos of the water slides and the room I booked, which in interior in Fantastica experience (only because there were more choices of rooms, I don't think the experience will get us much). I will post reviews for MSC and for Horizon when we get back, and compare the two.

A lot of people are posting in my Disney FB groups that May 10 is the opening. It's really the website is showing operating hours starting May 10, which unfortunately is not the same thing. I'm hoping for some kind of opening in June, but I don't think it will happen sooner. I won't be mad if I'm wrong though!
I'm not a big fan of Dr. Fauci, but he does seem to think the virus is seasonal. I think WDW will open this Summer. I won't pretend to know the date. I would expect sometime after June 1. I don't think the Florida Governor is going to stop them from opening once they enter phase three. I think it's entirely up to Disney.
I do expect the first couple of months will be a little weird in terms of the changes they will probably have to make. I'm getting used to weird so maybe it will just feel normal.

I wonder if DL will open before DW. Aren't there a lot less cases in Cal. than in Fl? It's been nearly 25 yrs since I went to DW and I haven't been to DL. I read and article the other day about all the changes that could happen when the parks opened. I don't remember where I read the article, I think it may have been a link at the bottom of this forum. The article had a lot of attractions that could still be closed even when the parks open. I would hope if Disney closes a lot of attractions, that they then lower the admission prices, do they ever do that??? Since our next cruise is only 5 nights, I'm thinking about a parks visit(Universal, since dd is a huge Harry Potter fan). We've never been to Universal and honestly I don't really care about going to any of the parks, but I know my dh and dd would love to go. Just not sure if it would be worth it if they have a lot of it closed, especially if they don't lower the admission prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter