Carsland here we come - Update 23/10

wow, i am so insanely jealous.

since we have had to cancel our trip this year, i have been having nightly dreams of winning the lotto and planning a whirlwind trip to the usa for disneyland/carsland.

cannot wait to see your TR when you get back.

congratulations!! what an awesome surprise for your family :)

WOW thats an awesome trip in a short time. We are headed there in March to see cars land. Look forward to your videos or photos.

Another Novacastrian ( No Knights supporters in this house though!!!:rotfl: ) here wishing you all a very happy holiday!
I can't wait to hear all about it, especially your take on Carsland and how the kids react when you tell them!!!

You know I keep thinking I just couldn't do it, book and go so quick:lmao:. In 2010 we booked 2 months out and I felt like I would vomit from the stress of it being so close :rotfl2:.

I truly admire being able to get this together so quick and it will probably be one of your best holidays ever.

Our tax return is our spending money for our up coming trip! Don't know that the Australian government would be happy that we r supporting the USA with the money but hey who cares!!!!!'

You know I keep thinking I just couldn't do it, book and go so quick:lmao:. In 2010 we booked 2 months out and I felt like I would vomit from the stress of it being so close :rotfl2:.

Actually, I agree with you. Our 2009 trip was booked 3 months out and that was as "last minute" as I'm capable of. I'm more a 11 months kind of girl. :rotfl:

I get sooo much fun out of the planning and anticipation and research, I know I'd feel cheated if I only had a few weeks of it....however if the opportunity came up I'm sure I'd jump at it in a heartbeat!! :thumbsup2

Andona

Fantastic!

Our tax return was a negative this year:(

Can't wait to hear more about your plans - and my head would be spinning too!

WOW! I LIKE IT!! :thumbsup2

My tax check is in the negative too :sad2: luckily our trip is all paid for and we're not relying on it!

Ours will be negative too... Ours are always negative... :confused3

Let the upgrade bingo seat game begin. My tactic of choice which has served me well ( econ to prem econ upgrades both ways the last 2 years to the USA) is now in place. that being choosing the bulkhead seats with baby capsules....those pesky airline folk just love bumping people who dont need them out for those that do and in return bumping for us has been closer to the pointy end of the plane 2 out of 3 years......we will dee how i go playing the Vaus bingo for the first time though.

Man, we never get upgraded... :rolleyes: Good luck with it!

Actually, I agree with you. Our 2009 trip was booked 3 months out and that was as "last minute" as I'm capable of. I'm more a 11 months kind of girl. :rotfl:

I get sooo much fun out of the planning and anticipation and research, I know I'd feel cheated if I only had a few weeks of it....however if the opportunity came up I'm sure I'd jump at it in a heartbeat!! :thumbsup2

Andona

Me too, I love the planning, and the anticipation!

My school kids bonus went towards our Tokyo airfare! (but pretty sure I spent the equivalent on education this year)

WOW that is impressive organizing!!!

I surprised myself how quickly things can be done too!

Have an awesome trip :)
:cool1:
:rotfl2:
Awesome. How long are you going for? Is it a disneyland only trip? I need details.:thumbsup2

More to come...

I wish I was you. :woohoo:
:lmao:

Wow!! Great news. My tax cheque is being put away for a trip hopefully next April/May.
:)
Fantastic!

Our tax return was a negative this year:(

Can't wait to hear more about your plans - and my head would be spinning too!
Now that's the kind of impulse shopping that I would really like to indulge in!
Hope you have a fantastic trip. :)

Andona
1st class impulse but it's worth every cent when the kids eyes light up as we go through the turnstiles to dlr on the first day.
WOW! I LIKE IT!! :thumbsup2

My tax check is in the negative too :sad2: luckily our trip is all paid for and we're not relying on it!
I am in awe of you:thumbsup2

That's amazing!
Wow Melbourne5, it must've been a very big tax cheque :thumbsup2:rotfl2:.

Amazing stuff.

Can't wait to hear more about all the gory details, you know how we Disers crave the details.
Will do my best :coffee:
Wow that is certainly whirlwind but lots of fun stuff planned. Well done.
I wish I could book a holiday that close! Sometimes we have too much time to over think things!
Sounds like you will have a blast!
I don't think I ever stop planning so when the day came , like recently , you just do it!:thumbsup2

Seriously jealous and highly impressed with such speedy org and clever tactics!!
:cool1: thank you
Congratulations! Sounds like a great trip and I'm looking forward to another Aussie TR already. popcorn::
I look forward to writing it up.
OMG! totatlly awesome, I would so love to do that next time, the 9month lead up has been horrendous!

You'll go almost 1 month before me so will be very interested in your Disneyland experinces,tips and advice! :)
Happy to help and looking forward to DCA in particular.
That is so amazing!!! I don't know how I'd be with so little time to plan and stress over the details!

Awesome :)
I reckon it's about permanently planning and then dropping into book mode when the time comes. :cheer2:
Wow! Can't believe you have booked and organised so quickly! I am from Newcastle too!! Hope you guys have a wonderful time!!
Hey just been up there for a few days , beautiful weather in newie.
wow, i am so insanely jealous.

since we have had to cancel our trip this year, i have been having nightly dreams of winning the lotto and planning a whirlwind trip to the usa for disneyland/carsland.

cannot wait to see your TR when you get back.

congratulations!! what an awesome surprise for your family :)
Yes I think they will be excited too and we plan on keeping it a surprise as long as possible.
WOW thats an awesome trip in a short time. We are headed there in March to see cars land. Look forward to your videos or photos.
well I really enjoyed writing my trip report from last year so will be happy to share all the details this time around too.
Another Novacastrian ( No Knights supporters in this house though!!!:rotfl: ) here wishing you all a very happy holiday!
I can't wait to hear all about it, especially your take on Carsland and how the kids react when you tell them!!!
stay tuned for the countdown.
:thumbsup2 that's my type of trip I would love o be able to just book an go:)
be brave:thumbsup2

I truly admire being able to get this together so quick and it will probably be one of your best holidays ever.
I hope so too:dance3:
Our tax return is our spending money for our up coming trip! Don't know that the Australian government would be happy that we r supporting the USA with the money but hey who cares!!!!!'
:thumbsup2

Andona
My school kids bonus went towards our Tokyo airfare! (but pretty sure I spent the equivalent on education this year)

:thumbsup2

Park tickets - check

Tickets purchased for both universal studios and DLR.

Both brought from Expedia who have some very good savings at present. I must say haven't been their biggest fan but they are cheapest around.

Universal - purchases the buy 1 day get a day for free ticket @ $76 pp.

DLR - 4 day park hopper for us at $220 aud pp ( about $50aud ) cheaper than Disney.com

Anyhow very satisfied now we can actually ride a car or see a transformer.pixiedust:

Next up - dinner bookings.......anyone tried the new Carthay restaraunt at DCA or trader joes/ SAMs? at the Disneyland hotel ?

Melbourne5 said:
Park tickets - check

Tickets purchased for both universal studios and DLR.

Both brought from Expedia who have some very good savings at present. I must say haven't been their biggest fan but they are cheapest around.

Universal - purchases the buy 1 day get a day for free ticket @ $76 pp.

DLR - 4 day park hopper for us at $220 aud pp ( about $50aud ) cheaper than Disney.com

Anyhow very satisfied now we can actually ride a car or see a transformer.pixiedust:

Next up - dinner bookings.......anyone tried the new Carthay restaraunt at DCA or trader joes/ SAMs? at the Disneyland hotel ?

Excellent! I don't think many of us in here have been to Carsland/Buena Vista street yet

Well as this express trip really gets moving (15 sleeps to go) I made some bookings yesterday for dinner ( where they accept them)

Heres the list

23/8 Bubba Gumps universal city
24/8 hard rock cafe Hollywood
25/8 free
26/8 cheesecake factory Anaheim
27/8 blue bayou DLR ( our favorite )
28/8 still working this out in DCA
29/8 rainforest cafe Anaheim
30/8 still working this out in DCA
31/8 big thunder ranch at DLR then FAntasmic for DS14's birthday
1/9 free

And whilst I was casually looking at what's on in LA while we are there I got a big surprise......well a surprise only if you like Neil 'hot August night' diamond. He is doing a series of 40th anniversary 'hot August night' shows at the Greek theatre , which is about 15m away from universal city and coincides with our stay, so I just had to buy a couple of surprise tickets for DW and myself ( different nights though so we can watch the kids)..... Very excited about this . Have seen him in oz a number of times but to be at the Greek theatre on a hot ( hopefully) august night is going to be one of those once in a lifetimes events:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Melbourne5 said:
And whilst I was casually looking at what's on in LA while we are there I got a big surprise......well a surprise only if you like Neil 'hot August night' diamond. He is doing a series of 40th anniversary 'hot August night' shows at the Greek theatre , which is about 15m away from universal city and coincides with our stay, so I just had to buy a couple of surprise tickets for DW and myself ( different nights though so we can watch the kids)..... Very excited about this . Have seen him in oz a number of times but to be at the Greek theatre on a hot ( hopefully) august night is going to be one of those once in a lifetimes events:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

My DH will be so jealous! Pity we don't get to L.A. till October. :(. It should be fantastic!

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hi all

Thanks for the tips re currency. Have used Aussie post again as they had the best rates and 2 day turnaround . Also dollar is sitting nicely at $1.055 so a good trade at present.

Also made a further booking at Carthay circle restaurant at DCA as well so we also get reserved seats at world of color too!

So I think it's all done ......pickup the money and in 13 sleeps off we go....:cheer2:

Well Sunday night was the big reveal to the melbourne5 kids.

We waited until ds2 finished his footy for the year ( made the prelim final) and that night we talked about all sorts of things including our relocation towards the end of the year and then we told them what a reward they were going to get for being good lads this year.

DS1 knew straight away, ds2 guessed we were going to lakes entrance ( nice spot though) and ds3 ran and got his cars bag and wallet and said lets go!
their facial expressions were priceless.

We we were all very happy.

Picked up the $usd today and sorted out esta and travel insurance.

8 sleeps to go:yay:

Well Sunday night was the big reveal to the melbourne5 kids.

We waited until ds2 finished his footy for the year ( made the prelim final) and that night we talked about all sorts of things including our relocation towards the end of the year and then we told them what a reward they were going to get for being good lads this year.

DS1 knew straight away, ds2 guessed we were going to lakes entrance ( nice spot though) and ds3 ran and got his cars bag and wallet and said lets go!
their facial expressions were priceless.

We we were all very happy.

Picked up the $usd today and sorted out esta and travel insurance.

8 sleeps to go:yay:
:lmao:

Kids are funny

When we told DS we were going to WDW he said "awww I thought we were going to Thailand, I want to go to Thailand"

Wow only 8 sleeps! I would be jumping out of my skin with excitement. Did you tape the kids with the big reveal? I bet the looks on their face were priceless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter