Cases rising or dropping by you?

Just listened to Newsom’s press conference and things seem like maybe they’re getting slightly better here. Numbers are still rising, but at a much lower percentage than they were two weeks ago. Now, this doesn’t mean things are good because they’re not, but I’ll take even the slightest improvements right now.

We were down to 1 case and now up to 28 I think it is. Boo.
Half of those are on a Hutterite Colony and couple others are truck drivers. Hoping it would escalate!

Canada is now down to 4500 active cases.

Another record day here. 391 cases reported today, shattering the record of 333 reported on July 4. 200 hospitalized. 70 in ICU. 96 have died.

Thanks. I hope you stay well!!

These numbers are what boggles my mind about the tourists. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't be coming here any time soon.
We have the same mindset as you. We are still having shopping delivered and not eaten out etc since March. No deaths in our county for four days now.
We really want to return to Florida as soon as we can but not until it’s safe to do so.

The good news of the day is our local hospitals are not being overwhelmed like it appeared they would be a few days ago. The bad news our local hospitals no longer has the ability to test patients with mild symptoms for Covid. They give them isolation orders and send them home. The hospitals then contacts public health which is hopefully following up and testing.

Things here are still not good, although not as terrible as they could be. We had 374 new cases today, which is our second highest number. We've now had 2 straight weeks of triple figures. We've also been recording 1-3 deaths per day; unfortunately there have been a number of breakouts in nursing homes.

However, the numbers suggesting that reintroducing the stage 3 lock down is having some positive impact as we've stopped seeing the exponential growth and numbers are starting to flatten out a bit. We should really be seeing the impact in the next few days though, so hopefully we will start seeing a drop. Masks will now be compulsory for anyone over 12 from Thursday so hopefully that will make a difference too. There have been threats of a stage 4 lock down, but we will have to wait and see.

Things here are still not good, although not as terrible as they could be. We had 374 new cases today, which is our second highest number. We've now had 2 straight weeks of triple figures. We've also been recording 1-3 deaths per day; unfortunately there have been a number of breakouts in nursing homes.

However, the numbers suggesting that reintroducing the stage 3 lock down is having some positive impact as we've stopped seeing the exponential growth and numbers are starting to flatten out a bit. We should really be seeing the impact in the next few days though, so hopefully we will start seeing a drop. Masks will now be compulsory for anyone over 12 from Thursday so hopefully that will make a difference too. There have been threats of a stage 4 lock down, but we will have to wait and see.

You have good and bad news.
:sad1:

The mandatory masks are shown to help. The US states have mask orders don't seem to be increasing in cases.

Stay well!!

@elphaba91 I hope things start to flatten out for you. We personally are still being very careful here (UK) but many are returning to “normal” in behaviour. I think if you’ve not been directly affected or know of Covid deaths it makes some think it’s not been as bad as it has actually been. We have bought more masks and gloves and are trying to keep prepared should things deteriorate again.

Here in Florida, we also have good news/bad news.

Good:
  • New cases have declined very modestly over the last few days
  • Orlando has not exploded YET as a result of WDW reopening
  • South Florida (the state's hotspot) has implemented much more strict enforcement in the last 2-3 days
  • South Florida's cases have moderated slightly
Bad
  • New cases are still WAY too high
  • A few days is a few days -- not a solid trend
  • Positivity rates are still too high
  • Orlando has not exploded YET as a result of WDW reopening -- probably because it's a little too early
  • South Florida's new case and positivity rates, although lower, are still WAY too high.

Here in Florida, we also have good news/bad news.

Good:
  • New cases have declined very modestly over the last few days
  • Orlando has not exploded YET as a result of WDW reopening
  • South Florida (the state's hotspot) has implemented much more strict enforcement in the last 2-3 days
  • South Florida's cases have moderated slightly
Bad
  • New cases are still WAY too high
  • A few days is a few days -- not a solid trend
  • Positivity rates are still too high
  • Orlando has not exploded YET as a result of WDW reopening -- probably because it's a little too early
  • South Florida's new case and positivity rates, although lower, are still WAY too high.
The "Orlando explosion" won't just be in the Orlando area. On a daily basis (in the recent past - I haven't been to the parks yet), we would talk to people/passholders from all over Florida (Tampa, Jacksonville, etc.) who come for day trips. Anywhere within maybe 150 miles, say a 2 hour drive. Unless they specifically contact trace for the parks, we'll never know.

We're showing fewer than 10,000 today, which is good, but Orange County has more than 600 people in the hospital right now. 113 are in intensive care, and they say 50% of those could lose their lives.

Florida is a mess. And they're not ordering people to wear masks, all they're doing is ordering remdesivir - it's like, we don't care how many people get sick, we'll give you this stuff if you have Covid-19. And on their own website, Gilead says remdesivir hasn't been approved by the FDA for ANY use and the safety hasn't been established. So if you get sick in Florida, you can be a guinea pig for them, because we're stocking up on it here.

Last edited:
Unless they specifically contact trace for the parks, we'll never know.
And there is no way to do that, especially the out-of-state tourists. That's why I'm looking at the Orange County numbers. They're going to be just about the only indicator we have other than anecdotal CM-infection stories.

What is the current status of restaurant operations in Orange County?
  • Closed?
  • Take out/delivery only?
  • Outdoor dining only?
  • Indoor, restricted seating (capacity, distancing, etc)?
  • Indoor, normal operations?

What is the current status of restaurant operations in Orange County?
  • Closed?
  • Take out/delivery only?
  • Outdoor dining only?
  • Indoor, restricted seating (capacity, distancing, etc)?
  • Indoor, normal operations?

Orange requires that you wear a mask, but no penalties if you're not wearing one. Osceola just instituted monetary fines.

So the restaurants are open, masks required when not eating. Inside requires distancing and 50% capacity. I'm not comfortable eating inside anywhere for a meal yet. When I picked up food at Texas Roadhouse last week the parking lot was about 1/3 full at 7 pm, but the food was delivered to the car so I didn't see inside.

The only place I've been willing to go inside is Culver's because I can get in/out within 30 minutes and I know they're cleaning the tables and everybody is following the rules, but I've only done that twice when it was empty, like maybe 10 other people inside.

Last edited:
And there is no way to do that, especially the out-of-state tourists. That's why I'm looking at the Orange County numbers. They're going to be just about the only indicator we have other than anecdotal CM-infection stories.
I just don't think Orange is enough. We're up significantly in Orange, but they're not attributing that to Universal opening in June, and nobody will answer my question about if they're actually asking about the parks when they do (if they do) contact tracing. If they don't ask, how do we know Universal, Sea World, Legoland (BTW, they just started to require masks - originally they did not) and Fun Spot aren't a problem?

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
Orange requires that you wear a mask, but no penalties if you're not wearing one. Osceola just instituted monetary fines.

So the restaurants are open, masks required when not eating. Inside requires distancing and 50% capacity. I'm not comfortable eating inside anywhere for a meal yet. When I picked up food at Texas Roadhouse last week the parking lot was about 1/3 full at 7 pm, but the food was delivered to the car.

The only place I've been willing to go inside is Culver's because I can get in/out within 30 minutes and I know they're cleaning the tables and everybody is following the rules, but I've only done that twice when it was empty, like maybe 10 other people inside.
Thanks. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be inside either, but we're going up to UCF late next month and I'd like to hit one of our favorite spots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter