Castaway Cay 5K {non challenge version} tips/advice

1lilspark

DIS Veteran
Anyone do the Castaway Cay 5k on non-challenge sailings?

Any Showers/Changing areas?
A Place to keep your beach bag or do you keep it on the ship and go back and forth
Do people go all out with race costumes
Characters on coarse?
How hot/humid is it right now I've been out in 75 degrees with 80-90% humidity...better then that...worse...

all i DO know is it's un timed, has plastic medals {though i do sail in September so who knows} and as of now it's free

Any Showers/Changing areas?
A Place to keep your beach bag or do you keep it on the ship and go back and forth
Do people go all out with race costumes
Characters on coarse?
How hot/humid is it right now I've been out in 75 degrees with 80-90% humidity...better then that...worse...

all i DO know is it's un timed, has plastic medals {though i do sail in September so who knows} and as of now it's free

I would pack your beach stuff in a bag. They do not check it in but have a box/chest you throw your bag in at the start/finish line. This will save time as it is a far walk from the ship to start/finish line. Take your important items with you on the run like key card, passport, etc as they do not really watch over your bag or a system for making sure you take your bag and not others. You can change using any of the bathrooms on the island.

I didn't see costumes. The most was maybe a shirt, but i would not recommend it. Its hot and humid and there is no shade once you have to run up and back on an airport runway.

There are no characters on the course.

The medal should not be the plastic generic medal with mickey ears. It should actually be a castaway cay medallion like the previous 5k rundisney medallions. If you do get the generic plastic one, email disney cruise and they should send you one in a month. It happened to us as they said a storm did not allow delivery. Emailed disney cruise (not rundisney) and within a month, the medallions arrived in the mail.

It's warm - we started well after 9am in April when we did it and we were extremely hot.

Any Showers/Changing areas? --- just dress before you go for the meet up, bring a bag and they have a holding area, after you are done go jump in the ocean it feels great!

A Place to keep your beach bag or do you keep it on the ship and go back and forth --yes they have a place you can leave your bags

Do people go all out with race costumes--its so darn hot I never saw this...

Characters on coarse?-- yup island gear characters

How hot/humid is it right now I've been out in 75 degrees with 80-90% humidity...better then that...worse...---the course is roughly 80deg and 90% humidity or so...but the course is on a black road so it seems hotter.

all i DO know is it's un timed, has plastic medals {though i do sail in September so who knows} and as of now it's free --cant complain free ftw! fun to do before you pig out and you can get off the ship first typically.

It's pretty low key for a Disney race. Belongings just go in a bin. No one was in a costume. No characters. Very hot and little shade.

Do all of the sailings offer the 5K? Do kids run it also?
My 3 kids - all under 10 walked it this past Friday. I made them the virtual 5k Shorts Series bibs and took the virtual medals along to give them at the end.

This is probably not the norm, but they were given the plastic CC 5K medals at the end anyway. My dd might pass for 10, but not my 7 year olds. As far as I could tell they were the only underagers. We did ask in advance if they could walk it & specified that they were not yet 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter