• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister who is a nurse will quit, she tells me, as a lot of her nurse friends. They say that now but who knows when it rolls out what they will do.

If you can get Covid 19 after having it already, this shot will be once a year I'm guessing. No lasting immunity.

Considering that the flu season is normally considered only part of the year and current recommendations are to ideally get the flu shot somewhere in the October timeframe in order to have protection through heart of the flu season and Covid is at this point a yearlong season, theoretically it could be necessary more than once annually.

If this is the new RNA vaccine, it requires storage at very low temperatures compared to the rest of vaccines people take. This is brand new.

UPS was already building (& I think is very close to completing) two freezer farms that can hold about 50,000 vaccines at -80C. One of those farms will be at Louisville which is their main air hub so they can load them on the outbound overnight flights.

---
I will personally get it at the first opportunity.

Last edited:
UPS was already building (& I think is very close to completing) two freezer farms that can hold about 50,000 vaccines at -80C. One of those farms will be at Louisville which is their main air hub so they can load them on the outbound overnight flights.

---

I will personally get it at the first opportunity.

I’ll wait until the trials are complete.

The problem is going to be where are doctors and pharmacies going to store it. You’re going to need a lot of freezers deployed to a lot of pharmacies if this is deployed like flu shots.

Considering that the flu season is normally considered only part of the year and current recommendations are to ideally get the flu shot somewhere in the October timeframe in order to have protection through heart of the flu season and Covid is at this point a yearlong season, theoretically it could be necessary more than once annually.

I wonder if they are testing this in combination with the flu vaccine, since many people are getting their flu vaccine around the same time this is supposed to roll out.

I wonder if they are testing this in combination with the flu vaccine, since many people are getting their flu vaccine around the same time this is supposed to roll out.

Number one, combining two things increases the complexities, which is not ideal when you're attempting to evaluate something new. Number two, given the temperature differences between the two I don't know that the timing coincidence even comes into play.

The problem is going to be where are doctors and pharmacies going to store it. You’re going to need a lot of freezers deployed to a lot of pharmacies if this is deployed like flu shots.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be issues but maybe it will just be a you gotta be there first thing in the morning type of thing. I don't know how cold they can keep it once it leaves the facility. But the time in transit will be significantly less. Since they are starting at the hub they can stay in storage much longer. Outbound flights don't start leaving until 3AM. I'm sure they will be highest priority when they hit the ground again so delivery by 7-8AM is likely.

I do think flu season started really early this year. I got mine over a week ago. I can't ever remember getting a flu shot in August before.

Putting anything about the actual "vital or active" parts of the vaccine itself to the side (not sure what the terminology would be), I'm curious about the availability of things like the vials, the syringes, the "inactive" parts of the vaccine itself -- including whether or not it will cause critical shortages/outages for other important vaccines and/or medicines?

Yes, this to me is the more important question. To manufacture and distribute the vaccine to a large number of people will take a lot of time I imagine which is why early discussion about vaccinations is about just a limited number of people. It will likely be months still until it is readily available. When you combine it with the current ramp up to flu vaccines it's even more of a concern. I do know that there was some federal funding to allow for a manufacturing ramp up while trials were still underway to try and diminish the delay between approval and distribution.

I'm guessing these things are part of the planning that has been going on under Operation Warp Speed.

Aren't freezers among the kitchen appliances that have been scarce due to supply chain disruptions already?

This is encouraging news. But, still many hurdles and logistics to work out.

And storage at -80 C is a prohibitive for your common CVS, Walgreens and local pharmacy, especially in our smaller communities and rural areas.

I am not anti vax, but I will not line up first. I'll continue to safe distance, wear a mask and take my own precautions until some of the bugs have been worked out.

I do think flu season started really early this year. I got mine over a week ago. I can't ever remember getting a flu shot in August before.

I got my flu shot last year on Aug 27. And this year Aug 28. :)

As far as the Covid vaccine.....because I have that Alpha 1 lung disease I will probably wait for advice from Alpha 1 (who are always in direct contact with me) or my Lung doctor.

Thanks for the info, Doc; interesting, hopeful news. :thumbsup2

Most people don’t buy freezers to store food at -80 degrees C.

Is there a supply chain ready to provide doctors and pharmacies freezers to store this at -80C? Does it have to continuously be stored at that temperature, or is a transport company ramping up to deep-freeze it in an attempt to keep it from thawing during transport?

Is there a supply chain ready to provide doctors and pharmacies freezers to store this at -80C? Does it have to continuously be stored at that temperature, or is a transport company ramping up to deep-freeze it in an attempt to keep it from thawing during transport?

I'm certain UPS or FedEx has speciality vehicles that could do it, but there has also been discussion about the US military handling the supply chaining.

Clearly there are lots of trials going on. Every trial will not be successful. Let's not be like Russia and race to be the 'first' by shortcutting the development process or jumping over certain steps. NONE of the trials are far enough long to have the necessary proof their vaccine actually works. Some things about the time it takes for vaccine development CANNOT be compressed. If phase 3 trials take X months, not aware of any way to reduce that except by cutting corners.

My husband is active duty military and they always get the vaccines immediately, so he will be our family Guinea pig, I guess. I'll be all the way at the bottom of the priority chain, but plan to get it as soon as I can for me and my kids.

We aren't afraid of vaccines in this house. We are more afraid of the diseases they protect against.

Clearly there are lots of trials going on. Every trial will not be successful. Let's not be like Russia and race to be the 'first' by shortcutting the development process or jumping over certain steps. NONE of the trials are far enough long to have the necessary proof their vaccine actually works. Some things about the time it takes for vaccine development CANNOT be compressed. If phase 3 trials take X months, not aware of any way to reduce that except by cutting corners.

As I said above, Pfizer said just this morning that they will have enough data by October to determine safety and efficacy and apply for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter