• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.

There have been plenty of medications recalled, or found to have serious adverse effects long after they were approved. Approval doesn't guarantee anything.

You're absolutely right. But if they have the data now or in a year, why wait?

You're absolutely right. But if they have the data now or in a year, why wait?

Well because years after I started injecting myself with medication it was found to have some serious irreversible side effects. This was a medication that had been approved 12 years prior.
So I tend to go with the wait and see approach, and while I probably won't wait over a decade for a COVID vaccine I'm certainly not going to get it within months of it's approval.

As I said above, Pfizer said just this morning that they will have enough data by October to determine safety and efficacy and apply for approval.
what are your thoughts on the process? Do you have any idea if you got the vaccine or the placebo?

Our family is eager to get a vaccine. That said, I will be reading the data/ info carefully about the vaccine before getting it, though admittedly I will likely be willing to get it asap. Honestly, I would have volunteered for a study but I only would do it if I could be guaranteed to get the real thing. Not a placebo.

what are your thoughts on the process? Do you have any idea if you got the vaccine or the placebo?

Nobody in the study group or the people administering the shot knows who gets the real one vs placebo. That is why it is called a double blind study. The vials are all marked with a number or code of some sort and that information is only known by the people actually running the study, on the backend. I think once the study concludes, participants will be told what they got, so those who did not actually get the vaccine can do so if they wish.

I will listen to a broad range of medical thought on this before I step up to be injected. A few months ago I was eagerly awaiting a vaccine, but I do not trust the current powers that be to do things properly with safety as the top priority.

I'd like to hear from the healthcare workers who will probably be mandated to take the vaccine as soon as it rolls out. Do you feel this vaccine is safe and effective enough to make you comfortable taking it?
I am a healthcare worker and also older than dirt so I qualify for a couple of reasons. As long as the data is overwhelmingly positive I will have no reservations about getting the vaccine.

Optional for on an individual basis - yes. Will schools, some employers, etc require it - very likely.

I have no desire to get a rushed vaccination that has no track record of being safe or effective. I have no problem continuing following current safety protocol - wearing a mask, keeping distance, staying home for the foreseeable future.
Ditto. There is a reason protocols are in place. And to just brush them aside isn't wise. We could have the 737 Max 8 of vaccines on our hands here.

Phase III trials as they would be the ones most likely to have enough data to present to the FDA for release.
Yes but Phase III trials take a while to complete:
Started late july- with goal of 30000 in USA
Not all 30k will be signed up at once. If a 2 shot model then need to restart the first participants again in 2 weeks for second shot. (Phizer and bioNtech are 2 shot trials).
Need to then wait a set amount of time in an area with significant amount of covid spread-Many areas are now seeing decreases in cases so this could take longer too; and just how do the participants ensure they have adequate amount of exposure to ensure they came in contact with covid if wearing masks and physical distancing? Doesn't do much good for results if participants stay home and never get exposed.
Need to be sure adequate numbers of ethnicity/race/age participants are recruited.
Say all that MAGICALLY happens by August 1st. and there are MIRACULOUS results with NO side effects whatsoever and OVERWHELMINGLY shows that the vaccine is effective-you might be able to effectively prove you have a worthwhile vaccine and that would be the absolute best case scenario to have a vaccine ramped up and ready by November. This is actually coming from Dr Paul Offit who is a leading researcher with vaccines.
But if you have so-so results then how do you know it is enough to be safe and effective? Say 50% get covid and 50% don't-do you "unblind" the study early to see if the not-covid group got the actual vaccine? What happens then if 25% of the vaccine group still got covid? You have now ruined your study and should start all over.

When a well well respected researcher/physician like him says " I wouldn't get the first vaccine unless ALL the conditions met, all research transparent/reviewed" I will listen the expert in this case. Note he is NOT saying he wouldn't ever not get the vaccine, but it would need to meet his high criteria for safety/efficacy-as should ALL vaccines. When HE is skeptical that an early November timeline will be met...

Last edited:
I'm a physician and VERY pro-vaccine. I worry about rushed trials. There is a long list of medications that seemed safe in small numbers that ended up causing permanent harm when given across the population. This is a new style of vaccine and can't be compared to others currently out there. Other coronavirus vaccines have not been effective, though admittedly the funding was not there to really push the research. Because of that, we don't have, to my knowledge, any good data on risks in a larger population.

Sadly, after the last couple of months, I'm not sure I trust the CDC to have my best interests at heart. It seems it's been bowing to political pressure from a very anti-science administration, making then retracting (after outcry from the scientific community) statements regarding Covid and treatment. That does not make me confident in their recommendations. I'm also sure the Pfizer would gladly make money off of a vaccine that was rushed. Mea culpa later, "hey, you told me to rush it and skip the usual steps, unusual circumstances, yada, yada."

I'll be keeping a keen eye on medical journals, and will be interested to see what Dr. Fauci says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter