Central Park...The Gates Project!

BabkaGal

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

Well, this isn't directly related to flowers or gardening, but it is related to Central Park. Yesterday I went to the opening of Christo's "The Gates," and it was unbelieveable!

The exhibit is made up of bright orange gates that are 16 feet high, with saffron fabric hanging from it that is 9 feet long (7 feet off the ground). The gates are placed across the winding pathways in the park. There are 7,500 gates in the park (23 miles of them!), and the effect is amazing. Even though all the leaves are off the trees and it is wintertime, the park feels like springtime! Tens of thousands of people were out admiring the exhibit, and it was a great way for people to visit the park in February.

The Gates are open for about 2 weeks, and anyone who is near NYC should absolutely come see it! Bye! :flower:

--Babka Gal

Hi BabkaGal! :flower3:

How cool that you got to see the 'gates'! :) I saw a spot about it on the news last night, and it did look very interesting. I'm sure in person, especially with so many gates, it would be that much more spectacular! :)

Thank you for the head's up for our New York area Buds, and for sharing your observations with us. :)

Flowers, gardening, parks, it all counts! ;) :)

When I heard about the fabric draped gates my thoughts were that it must be a project of Christos'. I was in Florida when he surrounded the islands in Biscayne Bay with a pink "fabric". His projects are uniquely breath taking. If I were near by I would certainly take in The Gates.

Babka Gal, Do you happen to have any photos to share with us?

I have been fascinated with this project of Christo and Jeanne-Claude since I first heard about it quite a while ago. When I heard about those islands and also wrapping that castle in Berlin a few years back, I thought "that's art?-that's nuts!" But I have since changed my mind and I would love to go into the city to see the gates but I know my time schedule will not allow it. It must certainly be some great sight this dreary time of year.

I caught a little bit about it on the news and I must say it was really neat looking!

I am envious you got to see 'The Gates'. I'm sure the news just can't capture the beauty.

One news clip had people expressing their wonderful interrpretations and then one woman said it looked like shower curtains. I guess she won't ever get it, will she? If I closed my eyes, I would have sworn it was my MIL saying it....cause i know she won't ever "get it".

We're talking about going in on Monday to see The Gates. I think the weather is iffy, though.

Yesterday's a.m. news reported the inevitable happened with The Gates... Vandals struck during the night and wrote on several of the posts: "Art??" It was quickly removed.

(I can't believe I can't figure out how to spell grafete... grapheti.... grafeete, graphate..... none of these are right, I know. I feel so stupid!!!) :upsidedow

Tulirose said:
Yesterday's a.m. news reported the inevitable happened with The Gates... Vandals struck during the night and wrote on several of the posts: "Art??" It was quickly removed.

(I can't believe I can't figure out how to spell grafete... grapheti.... grafeete, graphate..... none of these are right, I know. I feel so stupid!!!) :upsidedow
Tulirose,
it is one graffito or many graffiti :wave2:

Tulirose said:
I have been fascinated with this project of Christo and Jeanne-Claude since I first heard about it quite a while ago. When I heard about those islands and also wrapping that castle in Berlin a few years back, I thought "that's art?-that's nuts!" But I have since changed my mind and I would love to go into the city to see the gates but I know my time schedule will not allow it. It must certainly be some great sight this dreary time of year.
Tulirose,
I'm shocked: That wasn't a castle they wrapped in Berlin, it was 'Der Reichstag', which is our 'Congress' or 'Parliament'.

Welcome, Viking! :flower3:

Here you go, the wrapped Reichstag. :)

christoswrappedreichstagberlin.jpg

Photo by Wolfgang Volz

I guess beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder...I think the whole project is hideous, although I think vandalism is just one step beneath it. One can disagree without destruction, wouldn't you think?

Viking said:
Tulirose,
it is one graffito or many graffiti :wave2:
Hey Viking!! Thanks. And welcome to the F&G Board!!! Whatcha doin' here?!!??! :rotfl:

Viking said:
Tulirose,
I'm shocked: That wasn't a castle they wrapped in Berlin, it was 'Der Reichstag', which is our 'Congress' or 'Parliament'.
My apologies for my ignorance....
:earboy2:

Did you get to see in person Der Reichstag wrapped up? Still wish we could have gotten to Central Park to see The Gates. Time is running out....

Rosaminda - I totally agree with you; one should be able to disagree without destruction but, unfortunately, others don't.

We did go in to see The Gates on Saturday. I thought they were breathtaking. There was something just so beautiful watching the bright orange cloth wafting in the cold winter breeze. Having the backdrop of Central Park and a ton of tall buildings surrounding them just made it even more delightful.

There were literally thousands of people in Central Park on Saturday. Many, many, many were taking photos. It was a lovely way to get people out on a beautiful day.

Apparently, the winter snowscape was equally beautiful yesterday. News commentators are talking about it here this morning.

Added bonus: If you head over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they were allowing people access to their rooftop garden to view The Gates. I'm sure it was spectacular!

Kimmy....I have photos. Would you be willing to host them so people could see them on this thread? Let me know.

I'd be glad to host them, Gina. :)

I'm having some problems with my mail, but try sending them along. :)

Sounds wonderful Gina. Hope Snowwark gets your photos. I'm sure they are nothing like being there in-person but I'll take what I can since I won't be seeing the real thing. :)

Gina, Thanks for the Met rooftop tip. Love to see the pics. How about the DIS community photos to upload them. It's easy.

Hopefully we'll get to see it soon.

I'm not surprised that there are people who call them orange shower curtains but the "art people" saying it's not art because it's temporary? Huh? Haven't they ever heard of performance art?

here's a link to a web cam that refreshes every 30 seconds
The Gates

bridge2.jpg

http://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/gates_project/integrated_activity.htm
Found this lesson plan with pics. My DS#2 is studying area etc.

I'm going to try to get DH to help me in the next day or so, Kim. He's been working ridiculous hours. Once we get towards the weekend, I'll e-mail you the pics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter